On Rooting for Losses

bitonti

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

So here's a question.

Assume we lose out, draft The Messiah ... then what? Are we playoff bound, Superbowl contenders?

Let's for a moment assume no. Let's for a moment assume that 6-10 or something along those lines would be a good achievement.

In that case, why would we root for wins? Why not root for another year of losses, great draft position again, and REALLY build that super-duper roster that of course it's playoff bound / Superbowl contenders?

And so on ...

At some point those meaningless wins have got to start meaning something. I'm not talking about this year, I've utterly given up, but if we start out 0-6 next year is everyone going to want to tank again? Or would some "meaningless" wins be better?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Is the NFL turning into a two QB league in 2022?

What we need to happen this year has nothing to do with your hypothetical.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:01 PM, HighPitch said:

Omg. 
so were 3 losses away from TL. 3 wins would benefit us more than Acquiring TL?

get off your high horse son. Your turning into sore1’s Little brother just slightly less funny

Every Win is a step in the right direction 

Trevor Lawrence is 1 man on a 53 man roster

id rather they learn how to win than tank for the next Sam Darnold 

the Ravens didn't need to get to 1 to get Lamar Jackson 

The Chiefs didn't need to get to 1 to get Mahomes 

Trevor is better than those two? REALLY! 

I'll believe it when i see it - tonights ND game is a real test like last week's VA Tech game 

and before someone comes in with "The jets went 6-2 last year nonsense" no... they didn't

they went 7-9 with Adams last year and winless without him this year 

stop cherry picking data they went 6-2 down the stretch until a full moon yeah yeah 

what does that prove? Use the whole year's data they were mediocre last year, they bombed out this year 

to answer your question I'd rather watch 2019 Jets football than 2020 Jets football 

even if they didn't win a SB it's still better 

31 teams don't win a SB every year those teams don't burn it all to the ground as a way forward 

Bitonti doesn't buy into tanking because he thinks the draft is a complete crapshoot when it is not.  He's just spent so much time over the years making terrible evaluation after terrible evaluation of prosects that he thinks it all comes down to luck.  It doesn't. 

The draft is a game of poker, not a game of craps or roulette.  And the higher picks the better.  Not just in round 1 but in every subsequent round as well.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'll believe it when i see it - tonights ND game is a real test like last week's VA Tech game 

and before someone comes in with "The jets went 6-2 last year nonsense" no... they didn't

stop cherry picking data they went 6-2 down the stretch until a full moon yeah yeah 

what does that prove? Use the whole year's data they were mediocre last year, they bombed out this year 

to answer your question I'd rather watch 2019 Jets football than 2020 Jets football 

31 teams don't win a SB every year those teams don't burn it all to the ground as a way forward 

Holy smokes

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

You don't believe this...and you're a better poster than doing a weak SAR troll impression.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, bitonti said:

I'll believe it when i see it - tonights ND game is a real test 

I think he passed your "test" with flying colors...

Trevor Lawrence: 25/36 (69.4%), 322 passing yards (8.3 yards per pass attempt), 2 TD's/1 INT along with 14 rushes for 90 rushing yards (6.4 yards per rush attempt and 1 rushing TD (QB Rating of 157.3).
@bitonti

The other day I was listening to a sports 'show' on the radio [Radio's kinda like TV where the picture's out but the sound continues.] In between commercials, discussions about themselves and giving the latest betting odds, a couple of the commenters noted that the present status of the New Jersey Jets results in topsy-turvy rooting. Jets fans would like to root for their team, but first they must root for another team to win so that the Jets can safely win a game without losing that all-important first draft pick.

'“Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice'. Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland/Through The Looking Glass. 

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bitonti doesn't buy into tanking because he thinks the draft is a complete crapshoot when it is not.  He's just spent so much time over the years making terrible evaluation after terrible evaluation of prosects that he thinks it all comes down to luck.  It doesn't. 

The draft is a game of poker, not a game of craps or roulette.  And the higher picks the better.  Not just in round 1 but in every subsequent round as well.  

Lets be real, "tanking" doesn't exist. The Jets aren't tanking, they suck. The Jags aren't tanking, they suck.  Tanking is just a fans term for rooting for their own team to lose. If teams in the NFL actually tanked, there would be a lottery system in place to prevent it.  I do think @bitonti does bring some legitimate points.  As for me, I do feel losing is a culture, 0-16 is an embarrassment. 

• Sympathy 1

I get what you are saying Bit....Winning leads to a winning culture.

We can root for wins, and the team wants to win....that is the start of a winning culture.

But this team might just be worse than the 1-15 Jets were. This is what happens when your F/A signings stink for 5 years, and your drafting is horrendous for 9 years.

To their credit, this team has been fighting hard.  There is about 2-3 pieces to build around right now, with some solid depth players.  But our solid depth guys are currently starting.  As stated in numerous threads, I personally believe we should all come back serious-like after the 2022 F/A period and draft, and see where we are.  This year, with a bad team, tons of 1 year F/A signings, Covid, etc, was a wash.  We are set up quite well for next year.  Lets see what happens.

Im thinking that a nice draft, turned into a great draft with the selection of Trevor Lawrence will be more of a culture changer than a meaningless win against any one of these last 3 teams on the schedule.  

To not see what everyone should have seen last night and to argue for wins at this point is crazy and probably just trolling 

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, bitonti said:

Who's the they?  Most of the roster won't be here next year.  That's the point.

• Upvote 1

I never made any player evaluations

Draft daddy was a links aggregator

And as for the draft, history speaks for itself. I could produce the stats but they are depressing

Every 1st Rd pick is 50 percent to have any value
2nd Rd 40 percent all the way to Rd 7, where udfa do better

But yeah this is different, because we want it to be

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

On 12/19/2020 at 7:14 AM, bitonti said:

The 14-0 Colts threw a game to put the Jets in the playoffs and then proceeded to take advantage of the easy out in the AFCCG. Is this about tanking or feelings?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Lets be real, "tanking" doesn't exist. The Jets aren't tanking, they suck. The Jags aren't tanking, they suck.  Tanking is just a fans term for rooting for their own team to lose. If teams in the NFL actually tanked, there would be a lottery system in place to prevent it.  I do think @bitonti does bring some legitimate points.  As for me, I do feel losing is a culture, 0-16 is an embarrassment. 

1-15 or 2-14 has no tangible difference from 0-16.  We have a losing culture regardless, but one that can easily shift next year with the right HC/QB combo.  Half this team won't be back in 2021, so the "learning to win" argument is simply dumb.  6-2 to finish 2019 didn't help the Jets in 2020.

It's a dumb take.  

• Upvote 3

On 12/17/2020 at 12:02 PM, bitonti said:

everyone is assuming this person is dumb or annoyed

yesh yesh Jason Kelce is a dumb annoying moron who lucked his way into a starting center role and everything else because he's stupid 

can we for just 1 second talk about the underlying logic of destroying everything for 1 QB? 

it's not a winning strategy in the NFL

the onus should be on the tank fans to prove why losing is so great

not on everyone else to give up our love of wins 

the whole point is winning 

you build a winning team, that knows how to win, that's the point 

it's like the fanbase has jumped up it's own butthole 

up is down down is up 

cats are friends with dogs 

;)

don't make get out that Herm speech again 

It’s marginal utility. You explain to me the value of a singular win v the loss of value. I (along with many other fans/people) don’t see how that one win helps at all when in fact getting the best QB prospect might. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

• 2 weeks later...