Jump to content

Remember how bad goff looked?


BornJetsFan1983
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also, just to add: A quarterback should not and does not need a coach to tell him that he shouldn't jump in the air and then mid-jump throw the ball across his body. If that's honestly the expectation here then come on with all of this nonsense. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

Sam goes home and f*cks the pillows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Goff under Fisher vs. Goff under McVay are like two completely different players.  Coaching matters.

Goff played 1 year under Fisher as a rookie.  This is his 4th year under McVay and the first year he actually looks like an elite NFL QB.  He had a very good year in 2018 when the O ran through Gurley.  When they asked him to step up when Gurley couldn't carry the load he disappeared. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Goff looked like sh*t under Fisher because rookie year is a wash. It's not unheard of for guys to play amazing as rookies and then wash out or for them to play like sh*t and then get better. Sophomore year is kinda telling to certain degrees but you take things with a grain of salt. Year 3 is when you generally, with some exceptions, know what you have. That's why the three year evaluation window exists for most highly drafted QB's and it's safe to say Goff fits in right with the norm. That's why nobody puts much stock in rookie years.

McVay is a good coach but he didn't teach Jared Goff how to play football. No pro coach does. The most obvious answer to things is if a guy is good he will be good and if he's not he won't be. If Darnold could play at he'd at least be able to pull some minor sh*t off and he can't. I have no idea if Gase is any good considering the players he has and he probably is not but Darnold is certainly not his fault.

Rookie years dont have to be see Herbert Burrow etc...that is system helping the talent...we did not have the same although you could argue we did to a degree towards the end fo the season when they were incorporating alot of movement and plays designed to help darnold. Of course that all stopped after the first year.

Tanny was not very good under gase for years and then in Tennesee looks great. so idk, its all arguable but darnold could be very good we jsut dont use him well. Darnold lack of progression past his rookie season is most definelytl on Gase and the Jets coaching staff.

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also, just to add: A quarterback should not and does not need a coach to tell him that he shouldn't jump in the air and then mid-jump throw the ball across his body. If that's honestly the expectation here then come on with all of this nonsense. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

lol fair. I think this all fits the narrative of a guy trying so hard to make something happen, i mean its not like they are winning any game, gase may not seem to care but I am sure Darnold that has been a winner his whole life is probably having a difficult time losing so many games. I mean Sam obviously realizes that the plays are trash and he is not in a great position to win. 

I just dont think it is fair to criticize Darnold for not overcoming the limited scheme and bad playcalling from gase. I dont think anyone could. BUT at the same time some HOF QB would have probably told Gase to F off with his BS like Flacco did after a couple games. That is on Darnold, he should have spoken up. Instead of running his head into the wall every play  and making terrible mistakes, he should just tell gase to F off with his BS play calls and just run what he wants.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the back of JD's mind he's thinking wouldn't it be great if Sam looked serviceable in the final 3 weeks and the new HC tells JD, he wants Sam as his QB so JD can trade back to his heart's desire without needing to pick a QB. It is a pipe dream, and will never occur, but I know as a guy who loves his draft board, JD is thinking about it because he knows it could end up looking something like this. Probably not the players, but certainly the number of picks with the Jets ending up with 3 first round picks in 2022, 2 in the second round and 2 in the third. A GM like JD has wet dreams about scenarios like this. So, if some HC comes to his interview singing Darnold's praises saying he is the guy to turn Sammy around, you bet JD is gonna listen. But, still a pipe dream because I can not imagine any HC candidate saying he can turn Sammy around and forgoing having T-Law as his QB.

team logo
  • NYJ
    7.
    Ja'Marr Chase
    WR LSU
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    25.
    Joseph Ossai
    EDGE Texas
     
  • NYJ
    26.
    Creed Humphrey
    OC Oklahoma
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    33.
    Dillon Radunz
    OT North Dakota State
     
  • NYJ
    34.
    Najee Harris
    RB Alabama
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    65.
    Kenny Yeboah
    TE Mississippi
     
  • NYJ
    69.
    Paulson Adebo
    CB Stanford
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    89.
    Kuony Deng
    LB California
     
  • NYJ
    96.
    Jabril Cox
    LB LSU
     
  • NYJ
    97.
    Cameron McGrone
    LB Michigan
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    128.
    Chuba Hubbard
    RB Oklahoma State
     
  • NYJ
    137.
    Charlie Kolar
    TE Iowa State
     
  • NYJ
    160.
    Allie Green IV
    CB Tulsa
     
  • NYJ
    173.
    Tommy Togiai
    DT Ohio State
     
  • NYJ
    215.
    Adrian Frye
    S Texas Tech
     
  • 2022 JAX 1st
  • 2022 JAX 2nd
  • 2022 ATL 3rd
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Now he is considered a good qb and all it took was decent coaching and scheme. Sure gurley helped, but the rams are not strangers to terrible decisions and bad coaching. They won like 2 games in two years recently. 

They built through the draft and got a coach that actually could put a game plan together.

I think we are very similar to them and many other terrible teams of the past. Darnold is most likely not the problem but even I have to admit his time is probably done for various reasons, it's a shame we wasted his talent and set his career back but hopefully like Tannehil he will be able to play elsewhere.

Hopefully like the rams and miami, we will get decent coaching next year and make some smart moves soon

Am I missing something? Golf isn’t considered a “good” qb by any stretch, he considered a game manager who has to be limited with how much you put on his plate. 
 

see the thing is most of you fans don’t realize every team is looking for that great QB that can overcome a poor supporting cast and or situation. If you don’t have that guy you are always and should be looking to upgrade at the position.


Steve young in reference to darnold and the struggles he’s faced as NYJ qb: “I understand everything he’s face but you have to overcome the bad” period.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is year 3 for Sam. That's the problem. 

If this were year 1 (as was the case when Goff played under Fisher), the vast majority of us would still believe in Sam. He's not a rookie. Remember, Sam has 35 starts under his belt. You don't get an unlimited number of years to become a good QB. You're supposed to be shining by year 3. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Am I missing something? Golf isn’t considered a “good” qb by any stretch, he considered a game manager who has to be limited with how much you put on his plate. 
 

see the thing is most of you fans don’t realize every team is looking for that great QB that can overcome a poor supporting cast and or situation. If you don’t have that guy you are always and should be looking to upgrade at the position.


Steve young in reference to darnold and the struggles he’s faced as NYJ qb: “I understand everything he’s face but you have to overcome the bad” period.  

Yes like Steve Young did in Tampa.

I'm not saying your post is wrong, but if Steve Young actually said that he should probably shut up.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

It’s all about the situation these guys are put in. 
 

Sam would be doing fine in Buffalo. Josh Allen would look like trash here under Gase. Lamar Jackson would prob be terrible if he was on the lions or something. 

Doubt this.

Allen makes the players around him better. Cole Beasley, John Brown, and Diggs all had career years with Allen. Even rookie Gabriel Davis is off to a good start with Allen.

Allen has the skill set to carry an awful offense because he is so hard to defend. He makes the running game better, and he gives more time for his WRs to get open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Doubt this.

Allen makes the players around him better. Cole Beasley, John Brown, and Diggs all had career years with Allen. Even rookie Gabriel Davis is off to a good start with Allen.

Allen has the skill set to carry an awful offense because he is so hard to defend. He makes the running game better, and he gives more time for his WRs to get open.

Hm no. No, Gase would have ruined him and he’d look terrible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Hm no. No, Gase would have ruined him and he’d look terrible. 

Josh Allen made Robert Foster look like a legitimate threat as a Rookie. 

Josh Allen has several elite traits that make him a borderline Elite QB. Darnold has nothing that makes him special. His biggest strength was improvisation, which is diminished by his poor decision making under pressure.

Allen always had superstar potential if he could fix his flaws, Most of Allen's flaws have been completely fixed, which points to personal growth. Darnold still has several bad habits that have been ingrained into his play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Now he is considered a good qb and all it took was decent coaching and scheme. Sure gurley helped, but the rams are not strangers to terrible decisions and bad coaching. They won like 2 games in two years recently. 

They built through the draft and got a coach that actually could put a game plan together.

I think we are very similar to them and many other terrible teams of the past. Darnold is most likely not the problem but even I have to admit his time is probably done for various reasons, it's a shame we wasted his talent and set his career back but hopefully like Tannehil he will be able to play elsewhere.

Hopefully like the rams and miami, we will get decent coaching next year and make some smart moves soon

Goff is still bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Biggs said:

Goff played 1 year under Fisher as a rookie.  This is his 4th year under McVay and the first year he actually looks like an elite NFL QB.  He had a very good year in 2018 when the O ran through Gurley.  When they asked him to step up when Gurley couldn't carry the load he disappeared. 

I dont know, year two 3800 yards, 28 DTs and 7 INTS.  

Year three, 4700 yards, 32 TDs and 12 INTs

Year four, 4,600 yards, 22 TDs, 16 INTs

This YTD, 3500 yards, 18 TDs, 11 INTs

Hes capable of having bad games but he is underrated 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TeddEY said:

This website has so many words to pretend the qb who plays bad qb isn’t bad.

Because Jets fans should discuss the reasons for his poor play?  

Especially when so many involved mistakes that shouldnt be made again? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, hamat711 said:

Josh Allen made Robert Foster look like a legitimate threat as a Rookie. 

Josh Allen has several elite traits that make him a borderline Elite QB. Darnold has nothing that makes him special. His biggest strength was improvisation, which is diminished by his poor decision making under pressure.

Allen always had superstar potential if he could fix his flaws, Most of Allen's flaws have been completely fixed, which points to personal growth. Darnold still has several bad habits that have been ingrained into his play.

Sam has traits that COULD have allowed him to be a great player as well.

If you put Josh Allen in an Adam Gase offense where he was dropping back with no motion, no easy reads, no mis-direction, and easily diagnosed RB dive plays he would look nothing like he does today.

Put Sam on the Titans with Henry and Arthur Smith and maybe isnt in the top 10 but he would be considered a legit NFL starter.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...