Matt Rhule - The One That Got Away

Philc1

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

the "all or nothing" mentality is pervasive around here

or "If you aint first you're last" like Ricky Bobby 

Rhule is learning the league and there will be setbacks 

i'd still take him in a heartbeat over Gase (obviously) but also almost everyone else on the coaching market to be honest 

he's building a program 

the fact he didn't win 16 games year 1 doesn't make it failure

meanwhile the Jets are "successfully" the worst team in NFL history and Jets fans see that as a more preferable outcome than mediocrity 

it's not true

no matter how great TL is as a prospect mediocrity in the NFL is in fact better than absolute winlessness 

the Jets are a laughing stock that's not easy to come back from 

Damn, sucks that the Browns aren’t gonna be a playoff team this year. Meanwhile those always mediocre Raiders consistently command respect.

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was thinking about this last weekend. Hopefully the bad trend continues and the Jets don't regret it. What will make that easier is getting the right coach after Gase. Then just moving on and winning. Maybe that whole batch Gase, McCarthy, Rhule stinks.  :)

Most here are just using Rhule to cover up for the fact that they actually wanted McCarthy.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Damn, sucks that the Browns aren’t gonna be a playoff team this year. 

Baker Mayfield went 1 

Lamar Jackson went 32

here's a shocking idea: maybe the tank isn't necessary 

or even a good idea at all 

it's just marketing for fans who need something to believe 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Baker Mayfield went 1 

Lamar Jackson went 32

the whole point is irrelevant.  The team is winless with 3 games left.  Whether it's a good idea or not, it is happening. Stop yer whining already.

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

They did the same dumb sh*t with Rhule.  "Oh realllly?  You want the guy whose team blew a big lead that one time?"

Losers look for the smallest blemish and use it to discredit years of accomplishments.

And yet Darnold might still be a FQB!

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets are a laughing stock that's not easy to come back from 

Nonsense.

The Jets were laughingstocks in the 70's and were relevant in the early 80s.  Sucked in the early 90's and relevant in the late 90's through the early 2000's.  Again under the first two seasons with Rex.  The Browns lost 16 only 4 years ago and now?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Baker Mayfield went 1 

Lamar Jackson went 32

I don’t think it’s a good idea. I don’t think Joe Douglas wanted to go 0-16. If Sam Darnold wasn’t a bust I don’t think it’d be a tank. If Joe Douglas gets fired it wouldn’t be without precedent. However, this is what’s happening and I don’t blame fans looking for the silver lining in a lost season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t think it’s a good idea. I don’t think Joe Douglas wanted to go 0-16. If Sam Darnold wasn’t a bust I don’t think it’d be a tank. If Joe Douglas gets fired it wouldn’t be without precedent. However, this is what’s happening and I don’t blame fans looking for the silver lining in a lost season. 

At this point looking for wins would be dumb.  2-14 isnt less a stain on the team than 0-16, might as well get the best QB prospect in years as that silver lining.  And thats what the story will be, we finished last and got the kid as the prize.  

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

At this point looking for wins would be dumb.  2-14 isnt less a stain on the team than 0-16, might as well get the best QB prospect in years as that silver lining.  And thats what the story will be, we finished last and got the kid as the prize.  

And that’s fair. I don’t care either way since I really think we can build a franchise around the top 3 guys but any Jets fan holding out hope for Trevor Lawrence is fine by me.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jetophile said:

Dan Marino with his stupid college hairdo waves goodbye from his Camaro.

We can play that game all day long but I don’t recall a scout begging the GM (Brady), or banging on the table (Wilson) or the QB needy team loving a QB but passing on him for a safety (Mahomes). 

These were all in the current era (2000-). That’s why I bet we’ll win a game and miss out on a GOAT in TL. 

3 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

We can play that game all day long but I don’t recall a scout begging the GM (Brady), or banging on the table (Wilson) or the QB needy team loving a QB but passing on him for a safety (Mahomes). 

These were all in the current era (2000-). That’s why I bet we’ll win a game and miss out on a GOAT in TL. 

Terry Bradway banged on a table after he got demoted to some creepy corner "office" (translation: cleaning supplies closet). He swears to this day he was freaking out to the Johnsons to take Russell Wilson "but no-one would listen to him" and he was ignored. Urban legend . . . ?

What if the Jets drafted Russell Wilson?

Jets senior personnel executive Terry Bradway wanted the Jets to take the Wisconsin quarterback in 2012 so bad his nickname was “Russell Bradway” around the building. The Jets stuck with Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow. Wilson won the Super Bowl in his second season.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/30/favre-manning-wilson-jets-qb-history-may-have-been-very-different/

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

Baker Mayfield went 1 

Lamar Jackson went 32

Tanking helps teams that can't Draft well because they can minimize the variance of taking a bad player early vs. the consensus.  Certainly not fool proof, but there's usually a concensus at the top and most teams don't deviate.....or don't deviate much.

Macc was pretty much the king of the "safe pick."  He did fine in the Top 10 with consenus guys like Leo Williams, Jamal Adams, QW and even Darnold....all picks no one questioned at the time.  If anything Macc was lauded immediately in the media for "letting the board come to him," for trading up to grab a QB in Darnold who many thought should go 1st, for getting a top 5 prospect in Leo at #6, etc.

There's a reason why teams who Draft high every year never seem to get better and keep drafting high while teams like the Chiefs, Seahawks, Ravens, etc. continue to Draft late yet still win every year.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jet2020 said:

The one that really got away was Mahomes. And Russell Wilson. And Brady. So maybe the three that got away. 

C'mon are we still referencing Tammy after 20 years.

He was a sixth rounder that barely played in college.

It was Bellicheat who told Brady to put on 20 - 30 lbs.  of muscle and come back in a year.

Jets brass so overwhelmed by ignorance would have never would have had a clue who this unknown was.

Baa Humbug

Edited by hungry jackson