Do the Jets Ruin QBs?

JetNation

Do they?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do they?

Do the NY Jets Ruin QBs

GreenBean is in Miami and he takes a look at the age old question, do the Jets ruin quarterbacks? Sam Darnold is struggling under supreme leader Adam Gase. Because of the winless season, the Jets could be headed to the # 1 pick and Trevor Lawrence.

Looking back at the Jets history, they started off with Joe Namath and then here are some of the other QBs:

Richard Todd, Ken O’Brien, Boomer Esiason, Glenn Foley, Neil O’Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Ray Lucas, Chad Pennington, Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, and Sam Darnold.

Watch the video and see how GreenBean answers the question; do the Jets ruin QBs?

The post Do the Jets Ruin QBs? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

zUHxRB7OUxg

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

If you look back on the last success this team has had whether it be a vet (favre) or a rookie (sanchez) or a journeyman (fitz) the team has had a good oline, decent defense, and some weapons.

When we have fallen on our faces we draft a QB onto a bad team.  (darnold)

For all the Lawrence love I'd still have no issue if the jets trade back for more high end assets, build the team for two more years and then go after the next big thing QB (you do not have to draft the guy 1 overall to get a good one as we have seen.) or a vet.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Darnold is the best QB prospect since Pennington.  Through last season, he seemed to be developing positively.  Then we have a collapse this  year.  

Whether Darnold is ruined is a question.  Does he need a change of scenery?  Clearly.  If we do not "earn" the 1st pick in the draft, the question of what to do with Darnold is more complicated.  But the Jets are a 0 dimensional team right now so ought to keep their perfect record (baring a BB cheat).

So if Trevor arrives, Darnold goes.  How quickly he gets moved is another question.  His trade value right now is low.  JD has to decide how best to leverage Darnold's value.  Not an easy decision.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If you look back on the last success this team has had whether it be a vet (favre) or a rookie (sanchez) or a journeyman (fitz) the team has had a good oline, decent defense, and some weapons.

When we have fallen on our faces we draft a QB onto a bad team.  (darnold)

For all the Lawrence love I'd still have no issue if the jets trade back for more high end assets, build the team for two more years and then go after the next big thing QB (you do not have to draft the guy 1 overall to get a good one as we have seen.) or a vet.

Jets have enough cap space and draft picks over the next couple of drafts to get Lawrence and build around him properly. 

You can't bank on drafting a QB in 2 years, when that class may not be good or have a prospect as good as Lawrence.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Jets have enough cap space and draft picks over the next couple of drafts to get Lawrence and build around him properly. 

You can't bank on drafting a QB in 2 years, when that class may not be good or have a prospect as good as Lawrence.

There are good Qb prospects every single year.

Cap space is vastly overrated as far as building a team.

We were going to build around darnold as well.

Hey, no worries if the jets get the #1 pick they will take lawrence for sure.  I'd be one of the few people that would not go ballistic of they passed on him, for huge assets.

You can't ruin something that was already ruined before ever becoming a Jet...

Sam could've went to any NFL team and by year 4 he would've been considered "ruined" because it's who he is.

He was an absolute fumbling and int machine @ USC and still makes the same bonehead decision making mistakes and still commits the same turnover prone types of INTs as a Jet (as he once did @ USC). 

He's the 48th rated and ranked NFL QB (out of a possible 50). 

He stinks. 

As far as recently it's not that we ruin QBs it's just that our previous GMs have done an awful job at picking and drafting QBs because I can't recall either of Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg and/or Petty leaving the Jets for greener pastures (they stunk) and our previous two veteran JAGs were Fitzpatrick and McCown (both career losers). 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Chad Pennington was good until he got hurt.

Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, and Christian Hackenberg were never good to begin with.

Sam Darnold will most likely fall into that second group, much to the chagrin of those who want to lump all the blame of his pathetic play on the team. We'll see soon enough when he's on another team

maybe they just don't get top flight qb's to begin with.  look at the list again.  besides namath who have they drafted or picked up who had the confidence and ability?  todd was a bit of a head case.  obrien had throwing talent but also took too many sacks. boomer?  just another loud mouth who was washed up when the jets got him. nagle?  nothing to see. odonnell? not very good to begin with.  foley?  not very good to begin with.  vinny?  end of career success.  chaddy? genetic china doll.  lucas?  c'mon man. favre?  end of career. sanchez? too immature to really play.  geno?  too immature to really play.  darnold?  too immature to really play.  imo the only qbs they had since namath that had enough guts to play are vinny, chaddy, ryan and fitzy with some credit to lucas for his performance in 1999. 

this doesn't mean none of these guys can be successful just that that can't be trusted to perform day in and day out and make good on field decisions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

There are good Qb prospects every single year.

Cap space is vastly overrated as far as building a team.

We were going to build around darnold as well.

Hey, no worries if the jets get the #1 pick they will take lawrence for sure.  I'd be one of the few people that would not go ballistic of they passed on him, for huge assets.

I wouldn't freak out either, but he is the pick. It would all depend on the type of haul JD gets that would hold or allow my temper tantrum. 

But there are not as good QBs every year. There are significantly less talented years such as two years ago with Haskins, Jones and Lock being the top of the heap. Who could argue that Burrow, Tua and Herbert aren't a better class?  No. Tlaw is the pick at #1 unless someone blows your doors off with a trade offer. I could see the Jags doing just that. This year's 2 firsts, 2nd, 4th 2022 1st 3rd 5th 2023 2nd type of thing. They are dumb and desperate for a name. JD is smart and has already done a good job taking advantage of certain situations while ebbing that same mindset toward the Jets. 

But as far as my detailed and very impressive vid that I worked on for many hours,  I think you should watch it and then come and compliment me and tell me I'm not a bad son. I'm NOT a bad son!!! :) 

No. Since Namath, 1st round QBs selected by the Jets:

Richard Todd

Ken O'Brien 

Chad Pennington 

Mark Sanchez

Sam Darnold

The Jets DID ruin Darnold, but the other guys mostly had some success, but for one reason or other, didn't pan out or meet expectations.  

But this trope that the Jets "ruin Quarterbacks" is trash. The Bengals, Browns, Raiders, etc have been arguably much worse historically than the Jets regarding QBs. 

They ruined Sam Darnold.  Didn't help Mark Sanchez by bringing in Tebow although he was average at very best.
I absolutely DESPISE this line of thinking .... "The Man" at QB could give two sh*t about whoever is brought in because he is "The Man" ... now if you are a pussified silver spoon millenial ... you probably should not be a QB on an NFL team. Give me a freaking break.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

one point about both sanchez and darnold, besides them both being from usc, is that they were also underclassmen.  this means they both didn't have a whole lot of time on the big stage of college ball.  in darnold's case, he started out in high school as a line backer.  imo the jets need to draft qbs that are more mature and have more college experience.

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I absolutely DESPISE this line of thinking .... "The Man" at QB could give two sh*t about whoever is brought in because he is "The Man" ... now if you are a pussified silver spoon millenial ... you probably should not be a QB on an NFL team. Give me a freaking break.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Tebow absolutely was not what ruined Sanchez. It was the organization thinking he was talented enough to carry a team. He was not was he great no but at least average to maybe above average. Most likely yes with a decent O-line and some decent Recievers yes, and I think he showed that in 2 play-off appearances.

Yes.

we draft a QB with potential,

then, we hire the wrong coach,

the QB doesn’t improve so, we drop the QB and keep the coach ( instead of doing the opposite)

rinse, wash then repeat.

Until ownership gets out of the way and changes the organizational structure, we are doomed to the same fate once again with Lawrence.

SOJ... same old Johnsons 

The Jets do them no favors.  But the far bigger problem is improperly evaluating QB's prior to drafting them and keeping them around for too long, not a lack of development.

If it was true that the Jets ruin otherwise good QB's, then Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith would have gone on to bigger and better things.  Hackenberg and Bryce Petty as well.  Sanchez played for 4 different franchise after the Jets, couldn't hold down a QB2 job, and was out of the league by the age of 28.  Smith has arguably fared a little better by sticking in Seattle for several years, but its not like they put much stock in the QB2 job there anyways.  He looked horrible against us, just like he always has any time he's seen the field.

Sam Darnold, meanwhile, is a QB3.  He will go down a similar path as Sanchez.  

Tannenbaum ruined Chad Pennington with that faulty oline!!! Who care's that Tannenbaum drafted Ferguson and Mangold, that oline was falling apart and it got Pennington hurt. 

Tannenbaum drafted Mark Sanchez and after the first two years taking the Jets to the AFC Championship, Tannenbaum stopped surrounding Sanchez with talent compare the talent on offense he had in the first two years. Then check the talent after those two years. Its a big difference!!!

Idzik drafted Geno Smith because he thought he found the second coming of Russel Wilson. Geno was suppose to make everyone forget about Mark Sanchez but it was worse. Geno inherited the team Sanchez had which had no talent and on top of that Geno made reckless decisions when starting as QB. Idzik was trying to shove Geno in peoples faces including Rex. In the end Geno proved he's not a leader of teams but a backup.

McCagnagn drafted Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenburg who ended up being a bust for a second round pick. Petty looked ten times better than Hackenburg. But Maccagnan tried his best to make Hackenburg a starter but nothing can make that happen because he was horrendous.. For his final draft Maccagnan selected Sam Darnold who was suppose to correct the selection of Petty and Hackenburg.

Everyone here went gaga when the Jets selected Darnold, but three years later he showed no improvement with two coaches. Gase who was suppose to be this offensive genius ruined him because he keeps making the same mistake constantly. Even Joe Flacco looks better than him when he started games.

Something needs to change here because Trevor Lawrence is going to be drafted and he can't come to a team that has ZERO foundation or no talent. If Gase is kept around its "deja vu" all over again and another QB bites the dust. Joe Douglas needs to surround him with a lot of talent for offense and a head coach who can get a offensive coordinator to work with Lawrence.