Say Hey...from 660 to 661?

section314

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

That's a great story but it opens Pandora's box so widely that I can't see it really happening.  What about all the games they don't have boxscores for?  Should we start including AFL stats in NFL records?  

AFL numbers are already included, no?  Joe Namath's stats go back to 1965, not 1970.  

They're only going to count the league games, so Josh Gibson's HR total will stand at about 240, not the 800+ as mentioned on his HOF plaque. 

I don't think it'll have a major impact.  It's more symbolic than anything, and is a good move that really was long overdue.  The Negro Leagues played in MLB stadiums, used the same size baseball, proved to be just as competitive as any MLB game, and of course a significant portion of the talent succeeded at a high level in the MLB itself.  It makes sense to incorporate those numbers.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

That's a great story but it opens Pandora's box so widely that I can't see it really happening.  What about all the games they don't have boxscores for?  Should we start including AFL stats in NFL records?  

Little different situation imo.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

AFL numbers are already included, no?  Joe Namath's stats go back to 1965, not 1970.  

They're only going to count the league games, so Josh Gibson's HR total will stand at about 240, not the 800+ as mentioned on his HOF plaque. 

I don't think it'll have a major impact.  It's more symbolic than anything, and is a good move that really was long overdue.  The Negro Leagues played in MLB stadiums, used the same size baseball, proved to be just as competitive as any MLB game, and of course a significant portion of the talent succeeded at a high level in the MLB itself.  It makes sense to incorporate those numbers.

Agree that it is the right thing to do, and I also don't think it will have major impact. 

Saddest part about this is that it is long overdue.  Most of the guys who are now being considered major leaguers are long gone.  Its a shame this could not be done while the majority of the Negro Leaguers were still alive to enjoy the recognition.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Agree that it is the right thing to do, and I also don't think it will have major impact. 

Saddest part about this is that it is long overdue.  Most of the guys who are now being considered major leaguers are long gone.  Its a shame this could not be done while the majority of the Negro Leaguers were still alive to enjoy the recognition.

FYI ‘86 WS on MLB@ 2:00. A distraction while Jets game on ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 9:41 AM, section314 said:

Just read on MLB that Willie's career HR total may go up by one due to MLB recognizing the old Negro Leagues as Major League. Supposedly they found a box score from a game in 1949 in which Willie hit a HR. ?

Ruth is Ruth... but Willie is my guy. 

• Sympathy 1