Any Chance The Jets Keep Darnold AND Draft Lawrence?

PCP63

Maybe it's not realistically possible, but it's interesting to think about. A few things could happen:

1. Sam becomes a good backup, and he's fine with it. All is well. 

2.(Very unlikely) Sam turns it around, and wins the job. 

3. Sam shows enough to get better trade value for him than we'll probably get if we trade him in April. 

4.(Most likely) We sign him to a big contract to be a backup, and Lawrence also ends up sucking. 

Are you crazy?  Darnold has done  anything to justify keeping him any longer.  Being a nice surfer dude doesn't count for much in this league.  Making the same mistakes game after game and acting like a child who promises to do better "next time". He has set this team back to a point where we wasted three years and have to start all over.  

image.png.5ecadacb17745252ac002755e8626cf0.png

why do some of you guys think we will keep sam so he can raise his trade value?

dont you understand ..

SAM WONT PLAY TO RAISE ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

Trevor will start from day 1. play with the starters in preseason. if they keep sam he plays against the 2nd and 3rd team. and if he doesnt look good against them his value will be zero. and if he plays good what does that prove. he can beat guys who arent good enough to start or make the team.

so for 42 games and 3 years against pros sam looks bad. but 6 quarters of preseason against 2nd and 3rd string guys he looks good??? i can see the teams fighting to send us there #2 pick right now. maybe someone will give us a #1. LMFAO.... btw that was sarcasm. we get a 5... 4 tops with incentives for a 3. no way we get a 2

sams ONLY chance to raise his value is right now. these next 3 games. after that if he and trevor are here hes collecting dust on the bench.

10 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Maybe it's not realistically possible, but it's interesting to think about. A few things could happen:

3. Sam shows enough to get better trade value for him than we'll probably get if we trade him in April. 

4.(Most likely) We sign him to a big contract to be a backup, and Lawrence also ends up sucking. 

It's possible if Sam takes a team friendly deal for back up money

8 hours ago, NamathToCaster said:

Are you crazy?  Darnold has done  anything to justify keeping him any longer.  Being a nice surfer dude doesn't count for much in this league.  Making the same mistakes game after game and acting like a child who promises to do better "next time". He has set this team back to a point where we wasted three years and have to start all over.  

image.png.5ecadacb17745252ac002755e8626cf0.png

He doesn't call the plays m8

maybe the next coach needs to have some say in this.  as i see it both darnold and lawrence will have trade value if they are both on the jets at the same time.  obviously if a team makes a good offer for darnold before the draft then douglas needs to at least listen.  but if they are both there then the new coach will be able to judge both players objectively.

make no mistake, the jets, from a talent and business perspective, should draft lawrence and go with him but that's only if he meets the talent threshold.  lawrence is supposed to be generational but i'm from missouri.  show me.

There are at least 5 teams in this league who need a younger QB. Did you guys watch Justin Fields yesterday? 

We're getting a #2 for Sam. We picked Christian Hackenberg with a #2. We missed on our 2nd round picks for 9 years here. Maye was our 1st hit & he's slightly above average compared to the rest safeties in te league. Guys like Frank Reich, Kyle Shanahan look at the Jets & see giant holes. Does anyone think Phil Simms could carry this Jets teams offense as it's composed right now? 

It won't be the 1st attempt at a  resurrection of a QB in this league & im not saying he can be great. Sometimes serviceable (Vinny T), is enough in a league without enough starting caliber QBs. I think Sam will be better than a Trubiskey with a good offense & great coach. 

14 hours ago, PCP63 said:

I've argued for this most of this season.

We control Darnold for at least 2 more seasons.  The cost, given our cap space, is entirely manageable.

Darnold won't be worth (IMO) what our fans think he'll be worth in trade.  Anything less than a 2nd isn't worth it.

Darnold gives our new QB actual, legit competition.  He must earn the job, not just get it handed to them, for the first time in ages for a young Jets QB.  That is great IMO.

Darnold is a better backup than any old man castoff veteran we could acquire.  

Darnold can hold the fort if the rookie isn't ready, gets hurt, or otherwise misses time, and most fans will still be interested.  

Sure, if J.D. can get a 2nd or (lol) a 1st for Darnold, you must do it, and hope Morgan is the guy to be the #2.

But I'll be damned if I want to see another year of Flaco or his ilk as our #2 QB.  

Best case, you trade him later.  Worst case you have a competent young long-term backup who is a good kid who won't cause trouble.

JMO.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I can't stand this assumption that everyone thinks Darnold is now so far from right that he'd have to settle for a backup job. My hope has always been the Jets keep Sammy and draft Trevor.

Well I certainly agree with your initial statement.  I feel some not all But some of our fans have viciously turned on Sam.  Look we all understand it’s time to move on and we have a potential opportunity to draft a highly regarded prospect BUT I think it’s unfair for people to simply Say  Sam “”Sucks” or “he’d be lucky to be a backup”.  That’s just not true.  The kid has talent.  He has issues but those can be cleaned up.  The main fact is that he was put into a terrible situation.  When you literally have some of the worst coaching, protection, and supporting cast ever as a young QB you arent going to succeed.  I do believe he is shell shocked because of those issues.  But I truly believe going to a better situation/new scenery will be a big plus for him and he will be a pretty good QB