So Fields or trade back for weapons for Sam

kevinc855

My serious for a moment thoughts of both jags Jets lose out and Jets get the #2. Just what I think they’d end up doing it:

1. Fire Gase

2. with Harbaugh and Cowher now out of question probably end up with somebody’s OC

3. Douglass will trade back for extra picks and they’ll ride w Darnold 

....not at all exciting and like every other yeat instead of feeling “good” we all hope for a miracle 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pac said:

Naw..  played some horrible games tobe sure but he was in the worst position of any qb this year.  Injuries, new players, worst hc in yhe league.. 

I think we'll see a much better sam in 2021.

It's not really just about this year though.  He's been one of the worst QBs in the league 3 years running.  This year was just even worse.  

Also, the "worst coach in the league" was by far and away the better coach today.  McVay cost them that game.

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

My serious for a moment thoughts of both jags Jets lose out and Jets get the #2. Just what I think they’d end up doing it:

1. Fire Gase

2. with Harbaugh and Cowher now out of question probably end up with somebody’s OC

3. Douglass will trade back for extra picks and they’ll ride w Darnold 

....not at all exciting and like every other yeat instead of feeling “good” we all hope for a miracle 

Yup.  Just another year.  And best we can hope for is mediocre.

There was a shot at greatness....but CJ didn’t have the balls to do what was necessary.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

It's not really just about this year though.  He's been one of the worst QBs in the league 3 years running.  This year was just even worse.  

Also, the "worst coach in the league" was by far and away the better coach today.  McVay cost them that game.

He looked better his rookie year than he has the last 2.  Mono, injuries, turnover, horrific coaching, on and on.  He has always kept a level head and continued to try and win.  He wasn't awesome today but was solid.  Its like the 3rd game hes played with his starting wrs all year.  

Make no mistake I preferred Lawrence but since that ship has sailed its time to give it one more go with Sammy.  It is what it is.

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

He looked better his rookie year than he has the last 2.  Mono, injuries, turnover, horrific coaching, on and on.  He has always kept a level head and continued to try and win.  He wasn't awesome today but was solid.  Its like the 3rd game hes played with his starting wrs all year.  

Make no mistake I preferred Lawrence but since that ship has sailed its time to give it one more go with Sammy.  It is what it is.

The myth of his rookie year is way overblown.  He was mostly awful with two good games out of 4 at the end.

Sure, those games gave some reason for hope, but they've proven the outlier, not reality.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Here's reality...

The Jets have to make a $25+ million decision on Darnold for the 2022 season, that would be guaranteed,  3 days after this years draft. That is a HUGE factor in any decision about who the QB will be next year. 

Yea and If Trevor isn’t there you trade back and see what sam can do with a real offense 

What coaches are still going to be willing to come here without knowing they will have a shot at Lawrence? On top of that, what free agents are going to want to come here without the Lawrence carrot? Jets would have to overpay for them and Douglas will not be willing to do that based upon last year. 

I'm sorry, but next year is going to likely be another 2-4 win sh!tshow. No thanks. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Hes not the worst qb in the league.  He was in the worst position this year.

Justin Herbert played for a lousy team this year and he performed like a star. In his rookie year no less.

Its amazing how many people are willing to give Sammy another year after he’s been horrible for basically three years. Must be a sports fan form of Stockholm Syndrome.

• Post of the Week 1

There's another option. The Jets don't draft a QB with the #2 pick but they also don't pick up the option on Darnold's contract. The Jets roll into next season with the corpse of Joe Flacco or another cheap veteran (or, heck, throw Captain Morgan to the wolves) and the Jets tank another season for another shot at the top overall pick, but this time with Penei Sewell or Ja'Marr Chase courtesy of the second overall pick in this year's draft.

Fields scares me, and I hope he scares Douglas. Just because Darnold is done in New York should not force Douglas' hand into spending a top two pick on a player who doesn't deserve to be picked there.

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

The myth of his rookie year is way overblown.  He was mostly awful with two good games out of 4 at the end.

Sure, those games gave some reason for hope, but they've proven the outlier, not reality.

He was ok in his rookie year and improved all of his stats in year 2. Considering the whole context, you can def make the case that he was efficient.

• Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Let’s get Sam some weapons for a change .  Mims and Crowder are nice but he needs more.  Becton was a great pick but need to keep building the oline 

How about a RB? FB? TE? The Jets currently have GARBAGE at those positions....

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The coming college playoffs will show some things.

If Lawrence is the messiah half the planet thinks Clemson will be nat champ winners and will out duel bama.

I never understand these takes.  So if the Clemson defense gives up 45 points against Alabama its Trevors fault?  It’s such a flawed mentality.   

11 hours ago, choon328 said:

So you commit a guaranteed $25 million to him for 2022? Based on what exactly?

What the game tape shows. If there isn't a jailbreak, Darnold has an uncanny abilty to escape pressure and make plays. Donald was in his face all day and he kept his composure and made plays, with a jag WR. a rookie WR, and Crowder.

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I never understand these takes.  So if the Clemson defense gives up 45 points against Alabama its Trevors fault?  It’s such a flawed mentality.   

Yes and no.

If clemson gives up 45 Trevor should score 46 if he is the lord saviour QB.  He SHOULD outplay mac jones.

That is my extreme answer to the people saying lawrence is generational and the jets can fold the team now that they may have lost out on him.

The real answer is this.  Last years nat camp series.

Clemson beat Ohio State, Lawrence was only okay in that game, he was not great.

Clemson got crushed by LSU and Lawrence was lousy in that game.

Two games were the talent levels are more equal than almost all games clemson plays.

If Lawrence looks fantastic in both games this year even if clemson does not win then fine we can say he is indeed as good as projected.  If he looks anything less than fantastic then its a worry because his game against teams with similar talent lowers.

Is he still the #1 rated QB and will he go #1?  Yes, but you are not convincing me he is the must have player every one and their dog is saying.

So Fields or trade back for weapons for Sam

I disagree with the proposition, or you need a third option: "Trade back to build a winning roster" because the Jets problems are far beyond the issue of the QB having weapons, No one ever seems to mention it, but the Jets have the worst LB corps in the NFL. They need to spend 2 to 3 picks on LBs alone (one of whom needs to be adept at pass rushing). They also need a starting quality CB, another safety, a punt returner, and 2 starting O linenmen in addition to a feature RB and a TE. The needs at all of these positions exist regardless of who plays QB. JD needs to build the team, not draft a few particular players to "help" Sam.  If the Jets are not drafting #1, JD is trading back. There is no question in my mind that he will. AFTER he has built a complete team that wins more than it loses, he can worry about drafting a rookie QB, or signing a free agent game manager or aging franchise QB to play the position. At this point people need to forget about drafting a QB or doing anything in particular to help the QB rather than the team in general. 

JD's mantra should be "If you build it (a winning team), he (the QB) will come."

On 12/23/2020 at 2:20 PM, Sonny Werblin said:

JD loves the draft because he understands how to make the mist of his draft board. Just look at how many trades he made last year on draft day. He’d have to think Fields or some other QB is a can’t miss prospect to stay at #2 rather than trade the pick.

Problem is unless Fields has a great game tonight I don’t see a team offering us a lot to trade up for him

On 12/26/2020 at 2:55 PM, KINGDIRK said:

Putting aside the fact that none of us are scouts....Is it possible that losing out on TL has caused everyone to simply throw up their hands and say “every other draft eligible QB sucks. Stick with Darnold or trade back”

This placed minus a handful of us, all wanted us to pass on 4th round prospects Watson and Mahomes for Sam Darnold the follow year.  This is the same board who thinks Watson stinks but Sam can turn it around while Watson is carving up the NFL with arguably a worse offense than Sam.

Sam maybe being the guy almost made you forget how moronic this site can be when it comes to QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1