So Fields or trade back for weapons for Sam

kevinc855

1 hour ago, JiF said:

This placed minus a handful of us, all wanted us to pass on 4th round prospects Watson and Mahomes for Sam Darnold the follow year.  This is the same board who thinks Watson stinks but Sam can turn it around while Watson is carving up the NFL with arguably a worse offense than Sam.

Sam maybe being the guy almost made you forget how moronic this site can be when it comes to QB.

Guility as charged.  But I am the first to admit that my QB evals over the last few years have been awful.  I have been almost Maccagnan-esque in my QB evals, except in my defense, I never would have picked Hack in the 2nd round.  And I am a message board geek, not a professional NFL talent evaluator.

We are sitting at #2 in the draft.  We may not be in position to draft Brady/Elway/Mahomes/Manning/Montana wrapped up in one 6'6" body, topped by gorgeous flowing blonde locks, but we are still in position to take a good QB prospect, without need to package a bunch of picks.  There is no way I am going to advocate waiting until 2022 for our QB and potentially having to package a bunch of picks to move up.  Personally, I prefer Fields, which probably means that Wilson should be the pick.

Only reason to pass on a QB at 2 is if JD is convinced that neither guy is going to amount to much int he NFL.  In which case, he can't afford to be wrong.

• Upvote 1

I am not advocatong for this plan, and I think if JD likes a qb, take him at 2.   But imagine the following scenario...

1-Jets trade down and accumulate picks (stay on top 10 or so if possible).

2- Draft someone like Trey Lance who has potential but likely should sit for a year or two (I am assuming in this scenario, Wilson and Fields are gone in top 7 picks or so.

3- Keep Sam and let him play next year and either he will increase his value for a trade, protect you in case Lance is too much of a project, or if he fails then at least you have Lance grooming behind him.   

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Guility as charged.  But I am the first to admit that my QB evals over the last few years have been awful.  I have been almost Maccagnan-esque in my QB evals, except in my defense, I never would have picked Hack in the 2nd round.  And I am a message board geek, not a professional NFL talent evaluator.

We are sitting at #2 in the draft.  We may not be in position to draft Brady/Elway/Mahomes/Manning/Montana wrapped up in one 6'6" body, topped by gorgeous flowing blonde locks, but we are still in position to take a good QB prospect, without need to package a bunch of picks.  There is no way I am going to advocate waiting until 2022 for our QB and potentially having to package a bunch of picks to move up.  Personally, I prefer Fields, which probably means that Wilson should be the pick.

Only reason to pass on a QB at 2 is if JD is convinced that neither guy is going to amount to much int he NFL.  In which case, he can't afford to be wrong.

You and me both but I try to be realistic and level headed with my takes (not saying you dont) but reading sh*t like "Fields blows and sucks out loud and is terrible, etc", it's absolutely nuts.  1 bad game doesnt erase and entire career of dominance. And I find it odd how these other QB's are allowed to have bad games but it's the end of the world for Fields?  Idk it's strange and reminds me of the Watson conversations I battled in that entire offseason; 17 picks, skinny frame, mph, 4th round prospect at best, etc. etc. etc.  People actually like Trubisky better.  lol  And here we are again.  Granted Fields doesnt have the moments Watson did but it's very similar.  The guy has 1 loss in his career, to the guy who is going #1 overall and if you're going to give an honest objective assessment, despite thee stat line, Fields was better on that day. And on the opposite side; Mahomes I was very hesitant of because of system/conference, the more I watched, the more I listened, the more I realized he has stuff you cant teach and his upside was ridiculous but I couldnt get there if I just said, Mahomes sucks and that's it.  lol  I dont know, I enjoy this sh*t and it's basically the life of a Jets fan, so I give it a little more effort I guess.

Bottom line, Fields is a blue chip prospect and is more than likely going #2 overall.   So I just have to remind myself, this board is insanely reactionary and I get it, that's the world we live in but it's not how it works if you're in charge.  You cant be reactionary and you cant ride the emotional rollercoaster ride that daily 24/7 instant sports news feeds into the mouths of the consumer.   Seeing Wilson bein preferred to Fields almost 5 to 1 is bonkers.  What happens if he torches Clemson and OSU wins?  Good again?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

You and me both but I try to be realistic and level headed with my takes (not saying you dont) but reading sh*t like "Fields blows and sucks out loud and is terrible, etc", it's absolutely nuts.  1 bad game doesnt erase and entire career of dominance. And I find it odd how these other QB's are allowed to have bad games but it's the end of the world for Fields?  Idk it's strange and reminds me of the Watson conversations I battled in that entire offseason; 17 picks, skinny frame, mph, 4th round prospect at best, etc. etc. etc.  People actually like Trubisky better.  lol  And here we are again.  Granted Fields doesnt have the moments Watson did but it's very similar.  The guy has 1 loss in his career, to the guy who is going #1 overall and if you're going to give an honest objective assessment, despite thee stat line, Fields was better on that day. And on the opposite side; Mahomes I was very hesitant of because of system/conference, the more I watched, the more I listened, the more I realized he has stuff you cant teach and his upside was ridiculous but I couldnt get there if I just said, Mahomes sucks and that's it.  lol  I dont know, I enjoy this sh*t and it's basically the life of a Jets fan, so I give it a little more effort I guess.

Bottom line, Fields is a blue chip prospect and is more than likely going #2 overall.   So I just have to remind myself, this board is insanely reactionary and I get it, that's the world we live in but it's not how it works if you're in charge.  You cant be reactionary and you cant ride the emotional rollercoaster ride that daily 24/7 instant sports news feeds into the mouths of the consumer.   Seeing Wilson bein preferred to Fields almost 5 to 1 is bonkers.  What happens if he torches Clemson and OSU wins?  Good again?

Me?  Reactionary?  Never.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JiF said:

I’ve been down on fields but this is correct. I have my reactionary moment but then I look through his other games and remind myself that while he’s not as polished as Lawrence he is a great prospect. I keep Sam and have fields sit behind him while he gets in extra reps and learns the ropes of his future offense. This will help him with the extra starters reps he didn’t get while Lawrence was leading Clemson. Also gives time to create a great offense for him to play in ala mahomes while Sam keeps the seat warm. 

• Upvote 2