Just flushed the next 15 years down the toilet.

Gibby

2 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

I'm not even making excuses for Darnold, but the fact is that the overall talent we had in our offensive unit combined with one of the most shocking play-callers in the league was not supposed to work in any other way. The positive evolution showed by Darnold on the fist 2 year is enough to establish that he has talent to be competent to play at an NFL level.

I do understand that there are Qbs who are more talented, nonetheless to expect a unit to be productive given the subpar level of talent seems to lead to a fallacious logic when evaluation certain players, Darnold although being guilty of incredibly stupid decisions this year, is one of many players who fall victims of a mismanaged team that not only didn't achieve it's potential but that simply has too many holes to be expected to compete. When these two factors coincide it's very hard to make judgements on players who already demonstrated to be talented enough to be in the league.

“I’m not even making excuses for Darnold.”

*proceeds to write a 5 paragraph essay on why Darnold’s stunted growth is not his fault and why we should give him another shot*

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No one worth getting excited about is coming here to coach Justin Fields/the corpse of Sam Darnold/Zach Wilson/Trey Lance etc.

Say goodbye to Matt Campbell and the other coaches like him.

Ehh, Good coaches have taken jobs with worse options at QB. We’ll be fine. Maybe. 

10 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

On point. But watch your language- (absolutely abhorrent amount of circus clowns coming out to defend and prop him up) Max is not feeling well over losing TL and doesn’t like us attacking these ‘fans’ who know jack sh*t about the history of this snake bitten franchise. Leon Hess why did you have to go and sell. 

Circus clown? 

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

“I’m not even making excuses for Darnold.”

*proceeds to write a 5 paragraph essay on why Darnold’s stunted growth is not his fault and why we should give him another shot*

I didn't say it was not is fault, as he as made inexcusable mistakes and certainly contributed for the sh*tshow of a year that this has been. But I don't see any substance in evaluating talent and future ability based on a sample provided on a year like this - specially when it comes to players who have shown that they can play at a competent level in the league. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

I didn't say it was not is fault, as he as made inexcusable mistakes and certainly contributed for the sh*tshow of a year that this has been. But I don't see any substance in evaluating talent and future ability based on a sample provided on a year like this - specially when it comes to players who have shown that they can play at a competent level in the league. 

So nothing Sam Darnold did this year was in a ideal or “fair” situation so we can’t judge him on it.

Got it.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Lol people don’t realize that even if we get a good coach in here and they turn darnold around.. his ceiling is no where near Lawrence’s.   Lawrence coming in as a rookie would most likely easily put up better numbers than any year of darnolds career.  

ooo then here’s the other jam. Are you picking up darnolds option? 25 mil for a kid that’s never played a full season or thrown 20 td passes. That’s the qb you’re going to sign to a 25 mil for the year option?  

so instead of having an exceedingly good qb prospect on a cheap 5 year rookie deal.  We have darnold on a cheap one year prove it deal on a team in transition with a new coach, then you have to figure out in a year if you want to resign him or start over.  

That’s the downside people aren’t seeing.. it’s not JUST missing out on a generational prospect. It’s the fact that you’re put in a quandary at the most important position in sports.  You have a kid that hasn’t shown he can play, but he’s a better alternative than the other draftable qb prospects.  So you have to go with him probably, then you just push the reset back further.  Jets can have fun winning 3 games next year while darnold bounces in and out of the lineup and throws for 2700 yds 17 tds and 13 ints in 12 games and the main story line is “whether they resign him or let him walk”. 

On the question of talent, it does seem that Lawrence is an generational talent with a pedigree that speaks for himself. But that's not an option for the team's future anymore.

I don't think the Jets will pick the 5th year option in Sam's contract as he has not played to the level that earns that type of salary cap impact and it is fair to assume that no one in the league would offer him a contract that would be superior to a typical rebound candidate if he doesn't play at the level that he should to be a solid piece on a competitive team. That question is not even important under the current circumstances.

Why do you think he can't play? There is certainly a question mark on his ability to stay healthy, but again, the weapons to protect him and the play calling hasn't done him any favour. It will certainly be a defining moment for his career next year, and if surrounded by a quality supporting cast and an NFL level staff it will make JD decision on Darnold's future with the team way more informed than it would be now for example.

• Thumb Down 2

21 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

No hot college coach is coming here now. We will be settling for a coordinator, and probably not a big name one. 

I’m afraid SAR1 is correct as much as I hate to admit it. Gase will be back. The win today will lure Woody to keep Gase, who somehow has hypnotized him with is weirdo eyeballs into believing he is the next coming of Vince Lombardi. In turn, he will convince Woody to keep Darnold (JD the puppet master has zero say so in this). All together they will continue to destroy this franchise and rob fans of their money. Go Jets. 

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So nothing Sam Darnold did this year was in a ideal or “fair” situation so we can’t judge him on it.

Got it.

No, that's not what i meant.  You can judge him, but it's not fair to abstract his performance from the collective context and judge his ability solely on this year. I think he has shown in the past during relatively long stretches that he can be competent, key word being competent. 

• Thumb Down 2

4 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

On the question of talent, it does seem that Lawrence is an generational talent with a pedigree that speaks for himself. But that's not an option for the team's future anymore.

I don't think the Jets will pick the 5th year option in Sam's contract as he has not played to the level that earns that type of salary cap impact and it is fair to assume that no one in the league would offer him a contract that would be superior to a typical rebound candidate if he doesn't play at the level that he should to be a solid piece on a competitive team. That question is not even important under the current circumstances.

Why do you think he can't play? There is certainly a question mark on his ability to stay healthy, but again, the weapons to protect him and the play calling hasn't done him any favour. It will certainly be a defining moment for his career next year, and if surrounded by a quality supporting cast and an NFL level staff it will make JD decision on Darnold's future with the team way more informed than it would be now for example.

Why do I think he can’t play? I’ve seen him play. Do I think with more talent and a better staff he could play better? Yes I do.. BUT have I seen evidence to convince me he can be a top tier qb? No I have not. In fact I would surmise from the issues I’ve seen with reading coverages, decision making, and footwork that his ceiling is of a middle tier qb. That is my opinion if you do not agree that is fine.  

my main issue is that you are going from the prospect of being in a great situation with a generational prospect at the most important position in sports.  To going through another year of “evaluation” which in mY opinion will result in hitting the reset button at the position again. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

No, that's not what i meant.  You can judge him, but it's not fair to abstract his performance from the collective context and judge his ability solely on this year. I think he has shown in the past during relatively long stretches that he can be competent, key word being competent. 

Given what Joe Burrow had to work with this year, it’s plenty f*cking fair to expect the 3rd year, former 3rd overall pick to step it up.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Why do I think he can’t play? I’ve seen him play. Do I think with more talent and a better staff he could play better? Yes I do.. BUT have I seen evidence to convince me he can be a top tier qb? No I have not. In fact I would surmise from the issues I’ve seen with reading coverages, decision making, and footwork that his ceiling is of a middle tier qb. That is my opinion if you do not agree that is fine.  

my main issue is that you are going from the prospect of being in a great situation with a generational prospect at the most important position in sports.  To going through another year of “evaluation” which in mY opinion will result in hitting the reset button at the position again. 

I agree that the hasn't took the step forward that everyone had anticipated for this year. I think it's pretty reasonable to say as well, that the Jets - considering the second year that he had - didn't do much to help him. Looking at his year two and looking at Josh Allen's the difference is minimal and the stat's don't even show the absurd difference of talent that both of these players had to support their growing pains. 

Unfortunately this year, Darnold completely collapsed and Allen has thrived. But I still don't think that this year by itself is what we should be using to evaluate the Darnold's ability to be a positive force in this team. Even from a statistical perspective this is an outlier considering what he has done since he started his carreer.

This is definitely a make or brake year for him, but next year was always going to a be a transition year no matter what, while Darnold will certainly face more scrutiny than ever, it's fair to assume that the team will positively evolve considering the amount of talent that JD can add through the draft and Free agency. 

Even if at the end of next season, Darnold hasn't done enough to keep his job, the QB that will follow him will find a team which will be in a better position to compete.

• Thumb Down 2

Just remember, the QB you *think* will be good, often isn’t.

Many here thought Josh Allen would suck. Instead, he’s fighting with Mahomes for MVP of the league.

Point being, the Jets may end up with a QB that you didn’t want, and he may end up being better than Lawrence.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

No he isn’t.  Calling somebody stupid because they don’t root against their team is disgusting.  It’s only a damn sport 

Dude I’ve been called so many foul things while trying to take care of patients as a physician. Don’t be so thin skinned. This is nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Given what Joe Burrow had to work with this year, it’s plenty f*cking fair to expect the 3rd year, former 3rd overall pick to step it up.

Yes, Joe Burrow was amazing and he is insanely talented.

But it would make more sense for me, to compare Darnold evolution with Josh Allen for example, since both of them face the same schedule, where drafted in the same year. And why has Allen thrived on his 3rd year and Darnold - who was has as productive in his first two years - hasn't. 

• Thumb Down 2

Can Darnold be salvaged?  Sure, but I don't see his ceiling as anything more than an average NFL starting QB now.  The way he sees the field right now is pretty bad, worse than when he got in the league.  Sam also brings nothing to the table pre-snap.

So if Sam stays (and I agree we have to keep him if we don't get the top pick) we at least have to draft a young guy or bring in a veteran to compete with him.  Then invest like crazy in o-line/skill positions with all the cap space and picks, try to find a competent HC, and hope for the best.

Overall I agree, the franchise was set back 15 years today.  Perhaps the worst day in franchise history, or right up there with the day Belichick was hired and resigned.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gramsci said:

Yes, Joe Burrow was amazing and he is insanely talented.

But it would make more sense for me, to compare Darnold evolution with Josh Allen for example, since both of them face the same schedule, where drafted in the same year. And why has Allen thrived on his 3rd year and Darnold - who was has as productive in his first two years - hasn't. 

Casuals like this are the problem, Like this is top 10 one of the most moronic post I’ve seen on JN

18 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Can Darnold be salvaged?  Sure, but I don't see his ceiling as anything more than an average NFL starting QB now.  The way he sees the field right now is pretty bad, worse than when he got in the league.  Sam also brings nothing to the table pre-snap.

So if Sam stays (and I agree we have to keep him if we don't get the top pick) we at least have to draft a young guy or bring in a veteran to compete with him.  Then invest like crazy in o-line/skill positions with all the cap space and picks, try to find a competent HC, and hope for the best.

Overall I agree, the franchise was set back 15 years today.  Perhaps the worst day in franchise history, or right up there with the day Belichick was hired and resigned.

The Belichick on is still doing that to this day. How much Revenge can one guy have?

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Honestly, I’m not in a mindset to logically answer that.  My genuine feeling right now is that nothing the Jets do in the draft will matter because the QB sucks.

And this is where I’m at too. I can see us in a f’in philly QB situation. Smfh I hate this team 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

You really don't need to draft a QB this year. 

Especially if, like you say, you invest like crazy in o-line/skill guys - if Sam falls flat with that - then you go and draft your QB next year - and you'll have a rookie coming into an already strong core of offensive talent.  It really is the ideal way to do this.  

Losing TL sucks - but we're in a position to do this right now.   

NOTE: We won't do this right though.