Sam Darnold or Justin Fields?

Sam Darnold or Justin Fields moving forward?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Darnold or Fields?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields

I’d take Darnold.  

The biggest thing is does our ownership change their ways.  They want the hire the coach rather than the GM and want a say in the assistants that they hire.  What good coach wants to come here and deal with this ownerships unless they have the top pick?  

If we find a good coach maybe Darnold can become a good QB.  

They absolutely have to find a way to get that guy on the field in the next two weeks. It’s been utter negligence that he has not played at least one quarter of NFL football in any of these games where the Jets have been down by three touchdowns in the second half.
Asking for James Morgan to be an option in this poll is like asking for there to be a door #3 option like on Let’s Make A Deal, a complete crapshoot. We have no idea what this dude is.

My comment was meant as a joke.

Whether he plays this year or not is irrelevant at this point. Who cares if fans see him or not. The coaching staff sees him in practice every week. I just wish i had more faith in the staffs ability to evaluate and develop him.

But the staff hopefully will be very different next year will see him in mini camp and OTAs and training camp and preseason next year. Maybe he will be an option next year and maybe he won’t. We have no way of knowing.

A couple of garbage time snaps is not going to significantly change his evaluation next year.

My thought process weeks ago was that I desperately wanted Lawrence, but if we started winning games because Darnold played great then I would be ok sticking with Darnold and using the top 3-4 pick on OL. Well, now we are in the worst case scenario where we won a meaningless game and Darnold, while playing fine, didn't really do anything special today. 

We saw Jalen Hurts today throw for 338 yards and 3 TDs while also rushing for a TD. Why can't we get that from Darnold....ONCE? Maybe it's Gase. It's certainly not the "weapons" because the Eagles are not exactly star studded at WR. 

I am not saying Darnold is finished as an NFL player, far from it, but we have given him 3 years to elevate his teammates and he hasn't. We have the 2nd pick (unless we get lucky) and it's time to find a new QB for our new OC/HC pairing. 

There is no point in not using Darnold's last cheap year and build a strong foundation through the draft and free agency. It's literally impossible for this team to be worse than it was this year.

If it doesn't work, the next QB will find better conditions to thrive and grow than what the Jets will be able to offer next year.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

My thought process weeks ago was that I desperately wanted Lawrence, but if we started winning games because Darnold played great then I would be ok sticking with Darnold and using the top 3-4 pick on OL. Well, now we are in the worst case scenario where we won a meaningless game and Darnold, while playing fine, didn't really do anything special today. 

We saw Jalen Hurts today throw for 338 yards and 3 TDs while also rushing for a TD. Why can't we get that from Darnold....ONCE? Maybe it's Gase. It's certainly not the "weapons" because the Eagles are not exactly star studded at WR. 

I am not saying Darnold is finished as an NFL player, far from it, but we have given him 3 years to elevate his teammates and he hasn't. We have the 2nd pick (unless we get lucky) and it's time to find a new QB for our new OC/HC pairing. 

I mean you’ve gotten that, just not this year. Rams have the #1, cards D is trash. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Hopefully the front office listens to the players when it comes to the QB spot next season, if they do they will know if they need to draft another one or not.

I'll be honest (and I'm going to be attacked for saying this), but I actually think Darnold is fixable. To me he looks very uncomfortable in this offense.

Go back to the end of his rookie year, and there were at least three games (Buffalo, Houston, Green Bay) where he looked like a future star. And if you watch those games there's one key thing Jeremy Bates was doing with Sam that Gase has not, and that's have him move around. There were a lot of designed rollouts. Sam is at his best when he's on the move. Even in today's game his best throw was the dropped TD by Berrios. The pocket collapsed, and Sam escaped and made a heck of a throw. But overall in Gase's system, Sam looks very unsure of himself. Like he's overthinking things. And the results are happy feet and off-balance passes. 

I think with the right coach and system you can win with him. Given the situation I'd use the #2 pick on O-Line, and then get a WR and a RB with the next two picks.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I'll be honest (and I'm going to be attacked for saying this), but I actually think Darnold is fixable. To me he looks very uncomfortable in this offense.

Go back to the end of his rookie year, and there were at least three games (Buffalo, Houston, Green Bay) where he looked like a future star. And if you watch those games there's one key thing Jeremy Bates was doing with Sam that Gase has not, and that's have him move around. There were a lot of designed rollouts. Sam is at his best when he's on the move. Even in today's game his best throw was the dropped TD by Berrios. The pocket collapsed, and Sam escaped and made a heck of a throw. But overall in Gase's system, Sam looks very unsure of himself. Like he's overthinking things. And the results are happy feet and off-balance passes. 

I think with the right coach and system you can win with him. Given the situation I'd use the #2 pick on O-Line, and then get a WR and a RB with the next two picks.

I agree with you though I'm still somewhat devastated that we're going to miss out on Trevor (and the positive energy and the caliber of HC he would've brought with him). 

Sam is a good kid though and I love that he said he wants to retire a Jet.  He has a terrific attitude and says the right things.  I still do think he can succeed here and I'd love to see it.  We need to pick the right HC and get the right OC in here though. 

The problem is that I don't know how attractive this job is going to be to prospective HCs.  And we don't know who is going to be picking our HC (Joe D?  Or one of the Johnsons?)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree with you though I'm still somewhat devastated that we're going to miss out on Trevor (and the positive energy and the caliber of HC he would've brought with him). 

Sam is a good kid though and I love that he said he wants to retire a Jet.  He has a terrific attitude and says the right things.  I still do think he can succeed here and I'd love to see it.  We need to pick the right HC and get the right OC in here though. 

The problem is that I don't know how attractive this job is going to be to prospective HCs.  And we don't know who is going to be picking our HC (Joe D?  Or one of the Johnsons?)

They need to find an offensive coach who has shown that he can tailor his offense to the strengths of the QB. Right now Sam is a square peg and Gase's system is a round hole.

They need someone like Harbaugh. If he could make Kaepernick work in his system, he can make Sam work in it.