Still stunned but.....

riggy001

What rank would you give Sam as a starting QB in this league. Somewhere in the 25-32 arena? Do you think that someone in this draft, that plays quarterback, that is not named Lawrence (lets just presume even though that ship has not sailed just yet), will not exceed the expectations of being bottom quarter of the league in terms of overall quarterback play?

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

Still can’t quite believe we won this game. Of all the remaining games, never once thought we would beat the 18 pt favorite Rams! That said, clearing my head, and now starting to look ahead... I have been watching all the top college qbs for weeks, and right now i trade the 2nd pick and acquire another 1st plus, stay with Sam, load up on weapons in draft and free agency and go from there, if a qb is there that we like with our Seattle pick, or our early 2nd rder, pick him and let him compete with Sam. I would not take Fields or Wilson at 2 , but someone will want to trade up...

If we could get past the Rams... how the heck were the @%$@ Browns & Pats sure things? That's what I don't get.  The tank was only good because Williams' ego saved it.  We were still several hundreds yards from the finish line and people are acting like we screwed it up at the last second.

• Upvote 3

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Everyone in the football world knows how bad of a HC and QB killer AG is. 

Many would still want this job and hope to salvage Sam Darnold. 

Yea, it's not like the last time the Jets HC job with Sam Darnold at QB didn't get turned down multiple times and end up with a booby prize. 

I get that's your hope. There's nothing empirical to suggest that the Jets job is attractive to the top candidates. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

I admit I didn’t expect to win but I’m not pissed.  It’s just the way I am.  As a fan or when I played sports I was competitive and wanted to win.  Can’t attack the Hers for just doing their jobs and playing hard.  The Jets have a ton of cap space and picks.  Things will work out fine.  People need to take a breath and see what happens 

Just now, Jets723 said:

I admit I didn’t expect to win but I’m not pissed.  It’s just the way I am.  As a fan or when I played sports I was competitive and wanted to win.  Can’t attack the Hers for just doing their jobs and playing hard.  The Jets have a ton of cap space and picks.  Things will work out fine.  People need to take a breath and see what happens 

You said the same thing with Gase and Mac.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

There are calls to trade down literally every year.

Fields and Wilson simply don't present the same value. You're not going to get the franchise changing haul you could with #1 if that was ever to be considered.

We're f*cked. 

Said this in another thread, but if your QB is Sam Darnold, and you're sitting at 2 and not taking one of the QBs available, why would you think someone else would be significantly interested in those picks?

• Upvote 3

I’m glad some of you are still hopeful. 

it feels delusional though, not trying to insult, but like we’re trying to talk ourselves into this not being the absolute worst moment in franchise history. Because I think it is. Without the Lamborghini we’re now trying to talk ourselves to just painting the Pinto and telling ourselves it’s the same thing.

draft night is going to be brutal watching Trevor putting on the Jaguars cap - ugh ?‍♂️ 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

There are calls to trade down literally every year.

Fields and Wilson simply don't present the same value. You're not going to get the franchise changing haul you could with #1 if that was ever to be considered.

We're f*cked. 

It depends how far the other team moves up. If it is a team like the Saints, I would say next year's #1 is possible. 

Now that lawrence is probably out of the picture, JD needs to just build up the roster as much as he can, and hit a home run with the coaching hire. If Douglas is as good of a talent evaluator as we think, hopefully he can build up the talent level of this team for whoever the future Jet qb is gonna be. I dont think its Darnold, but maybe they go in to next year with him as the starter and draft a qb that is there to take his spot should he stumble, similar to the Wentz Hurts situation. However they need to not pick up that option on Sam's deal. Let him play himself into a new contract next year and actually prove he's worthy of it, because so far he definitely hasn't done that

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

Still can’t quite believe we won this game. Of all the remaining games, never once thought we would beat the 18 pt favorite Rams! That said, clearing my head, and now starting to look ahead... I have been watching all the top college qbs for weeks, and right now i trade the 2nd pick and acquire another 1st plus, stay with Sam, load up on weapons in draft and free agency and go from there, if a qb is there that we like with our Seattle pick, or our early 2nd rder, pick him and let him compete with Sam. I would not take Fields or Wilson at 2 , but someone will want to trade up...

The trade I am going to make... HAVE MADE.  Trade my time watching this pile of canid excrement team for time spent doing something constructive. 

Other fans didn't think I would turn in my third generation season tickets when they signed Michael Vick, but I did.

And now... In the face of this wonton grasp at remaining putrid, I am not even going to watch the games.

I invite all others to follow suite.  

Dont give these self serving pigs any more time or money.

• Upvote 2

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Money talks

..and you think the Johnsons have more of it than the Texans, Chargers, Lions, Jax, etc's owners? 

Your argument implies that the Johnsons will give up significantly more money than any other team looking for a head coach that would be enough to have them turn down the job they actually want to take the Jets job. 

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

..and you think the Johnsons have more of it than the Texans, Chargers, Lions, Jax, etc's owners? 

Your argument implies that the Johnsons will give up significantly more money than any other team looking for a head coach that would be enough to have them turn down the job they actually want to take the Jets job. 

Yeah, I do. Look at the contract they gave to JD. 

25 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, I do. Look at the contract they gave to JD. 

the one we know nothing about other than 6 years? The one that they gave to him after he was passed over by all the other teams looking for GMs? 

JD might be a good GM, but he was hired long after all the other team looking had hired GMs and had zero competition. 

I posited that the Jets won't give a coach so much money over other teams trying to hire the same guy that he'll take the Jets job which is not similar to the situation where every other team looking had already decided on and hired the guy they wanted when the Jets swooped in and stole someone they didn't hire when they had a chance..

Regardless of whether JD works out or not, he was taking the only GM job available to him. 

Gase is not staying - no way. If Sam had the time he had today to throw he would have had a much better year. I look at all the successful QBs and the one thing they have in common is time to go through their progressions. I think Sam can gain confidence behind an improving line and could be our QB for a long time if we don't pick #1.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

the one we know nothing about other than 6 years? The one that they gave to him after he was passed over by all the other teams looking for GMs? 

JD might be a good GM, but he was hired long after all the other team looking had hired GMs and had zero competition. 

I posited that the Jets won't give a coach so much money over other teams trying to hire the same guy that he'll take the Jets job which is not similar to the situation where every other team looking had already decided on and hired the guy they wanted when the Jets swooped in and stole someone they didn't hire when they had a chance..

Regardless of whether JD works out or not, he was taking the only GM job available to him. 

Many of those teams would have hired JD if he was available - he was comfortable where he was. His first draft was excellent - the best O-lineman who will be going to the Pro Bowl, a receiver that can be very good with a full camp (possible 1), a punter that can be excellent and some other solid pieces like Hall and Davis. It takes rookies time to develop. With 3 really high picks next year we will be building a solid roster and 5 in the top 3 rounds we can improve quickly.

15 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

If I recall, the Jets hired JD at a time when no team was looking for a GM which was after the draft so wtf are you talking about. 

• WTF? 1

43 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Many of those teams would have hired JD if he was available - he was comfortable where he was. His first draft was excellent - the best O-lineman who will be going to the Pro Bowl, a receiver that can be very good with a full camp (possible 1), a punter that can be excellent and some other solid pieces like Hall and Davis. It takes rookies time to develop. With 3 really high picks next year we will be building a solid roster and 5 in the top 3 rounds we can improve quickly.

WTH are you talking about with JD? If a team wanted to hire him then they would have interviewed him and made him an offer.. he did not turn anyone down so unless there's some time / space continuum sh*t going on here...no one tried to hire him. 

As for the players, that's a lot of hopes and dreams in there. This is hackenberg all over again. "You can't say he's a bad QB because he's never played in a game."

Becton seems likely to a top flight tackle which is awesome, but all of the rest are hopes and dreams at this point. Simply because a player could possibly be good doesn't mean they will be. Every player drafted can flash in the NFL. They have to do it week in / week out to be good. Becton's the only one that's shown that sort of consistency so far. 

• Thumb Down 1