Draft Sewell, double down in the 2nd on OG/OC, build a monster o-line and a killer run game

freestater

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Is Sewell a RT?  Who on Earth would use a #2 on a RT unless you already had a left-handed franchise QB?  If Sewell plays LT then are we moving Becton who has looked Pro Bowl caliber at LT?  Seems dumb.

Why not trade down, take TE Kyle Pitts or a WR like Chase, then get a really good RT later?

The Jets have 100 million dollars in free cap space, they can afford 2 all pro tackles 

Becton can be used at either side as can Sewell 

It's not dumb to draft a stud at a position of need. 

• Upvote 4

Is Sewell a RT?  Who on Earth would use a #2 on a RT unless you already had a left-handed franchise QB?  If Sewell plays LT then are we moving Becton who has looked Pro Bowl caliber at LT?  Seems dumb.
Why not trade down, take TE Kyle Pitts or a WR like Chase, then get a really good RT later?

I’m pretty open in terms of who to take or trade down but if there is a single move the Jets could do that would make me nervous it would be drafting a TE in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't think Becton stays healthy. Super talented obviously but the challenge of keeping his weight down and remaining healthy in the years ahead... I would take Sewell.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets have 100 million dollars in free cap space, they can afford 2 all pro tackles 

Becton can be used at either side as can Sewell 

It's not dumb to draft a stud at a position of need. 

Build the best OL in the nfl and bring in another Qb to compete with Sam

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

Either trade the pick for a haul and restock the team, or stay put and pick Sewell who will be a quality opposite bookend to Becton for a decade.

I was all about taking Fields until recently if we ended up at #2, but I think the Jets may well gave Sam another chance with a proper coach. In that scenario, Sewell is absolutely the guy you take at #2.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The no. 2 pick seems awfully high for a right tackle. I think I’d trade back and go with edge or cb and then resume with oline or offensive skill players.  The thing too is there are going to be quite a few QBs available in free agency and it’s always possible Morgan is much better than has been let on.

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

None of this matter till the new HC is hired. Cause if he doesn't want Sam were drafting a New QB at 2. .

Plus douglas didn’t draft darnold.  I don’t see darnold becoming more than a functional starter who can’t lift his team and needs a strong offense around him to succcceed.  Kinda like Sanchez.  I think douglas needs to figure out which qb he wants and go with that guy.  I think it will be Wilson.

9 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

If you can draft a 12 year stud at RT to play bookend to your stud LT then why wouldn't you?  Think of the high 1st rounders that we took that are not contributing to this current team. Draft the stud tackle, grab Scherff on FA.  then use your picks on weapons and corners. That's a huge leap forward in one off season. If Lawrence is gone, invest in Sam and lets see what a new coach can do for him. He was a top first rounder once too, if you remember. 

I have been saying this for a while now, glad others are catching on.

You don't have to draft a QB when you're looking at a multi-year rebuilding project. That's what the team currently is. You can't chase instant gratification. A franchise QB can't succeed with this current roster. 

A strong o-line and d-line should be the priority. They have two foundational pieces in Becton and Quinnen Williams; build around them. That's the sensible way to do it. 

And its not like drafting Sewell prevents you from drafting QB. Just trade up with the Seattle pick and grab Wilson or Lance. Its not difficult to do. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, predator_05 said:

I have saying this for a while now, glad others are catching on.

You don't have to draft a QB when you're looking a multi-year rebuilding project. That's what the team currently is. You can't chase instant gratification.

A strong o-line and d-line should be the priority. They have two foundational pieces in Becton and Quinnen Williams; build around them. That's the sensible way to do it. 

And its not like drafting Sewell prevents you from drafting QB. Just trade up with the Seattle pick and grab Wilson or Lance. Its not difficult to do. 

I’m not sure it’s a great allocation of resources. We don’t need Sewell to play left tackle so why draft him at #2? I think the move is to take the QB and hope for the best. 

10 hours ago, freestater said:

well...now that I look at it...that. what I wrote in the title. Gimmie that. 

We're never going to convince some pups that you build a good football team from the trenches... I'll go with that as well as you can always protect your QB and open nice holes in the run game to have a balanced attack.

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If the Jets draft a TE in the first round 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, StrawberryFields said:

You need a QB more. Not going to win with bust boy slinging it around. 

Unfortunately its lookin like bust boy will be here next year. Doesnt mean you dont build around the QB position like we should have been doing the past 3 years. New scheme, better protection and some weapons seems like the best bet to salvage this mess.

Sewell is so good but... trade back and grab Rashawn Slater is draft capital plus a stud OL. The same goes for loading up to possibly get a guy like Alijah Vera-Tucker. Those two are gonna be stud Guards who can play some tackle. They just represent more value than Sewell. 

Becton is excellent and McGovern is starting to really play well, those two are probably the guys most at fault for ruining the tank. At least they’ll be back next year.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Sewell is so good but... trade back and grab Rashawn Slater is draft capital plus a stud OL. The same goes for loading up to possibly get a guy like Alijah Vera-Tucker. Those two are gonna be stud Guards who can play some tackle. They just represent more value than Sewell. 

Becton is excellent and McGovern is starting to really play well, those two are probably the guys most at fault for ruining the tank. At least they’ll be back next year.

OL OL and more OL is the message, and your plan works just as well...

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Plus douglas didn’t draft darnold.  I don’t see darnold becoming more than a functional starter who can’t lift his team and needs a strong offense around him to succcceed.  Kinda like Sanchez.  I think douglas needs to figure out which qb he wants and go with that guy.  I think it will be Wilson.

You roll with Sam this year...use that pick to continue to shore up the offense and go get your QB next year - you have two first next year too - 

but whatever.

The thread title is all JD and everyone in Jets "management" is talking about this morning.  And high-fiving a plenty.  No need for us to draft another potential franchise QB.  We have "Mr. 2-3 Games Per Season" Sam Darnold.  He should be just fine for our team's success going forward.   Good friggin' lord.

• Haha 1