Who Is Trevor Lawrence?

Tedryno

10 hours ago, Tedryno said:

I saw multiple posts on here about, “why would anyone want to play in Jacksonville?”

”Everyone would choose NYC over Jacksonville”

”NY is so much better than Jacksonville”

”Everyone wants the bright lights”

Do you people even know who you are talking about?  Do you think this kid is from Syosset, LI?

Trevor Lawrence is from Cartersville, GA—a town of 19,000 people.

Trevor Lawrence is ENGAGED.

Trevor Lawrence is a CHRISTIAN.

This has JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA written all over it.  Sure, all of you Tri-Staters, like me, would choose NYC over Jacksonville, FL 101 times out of a hundred.  Trevor Lawrence is not us.

Trevor Lawrence, the southern kid, from a podunk town in the middle of nowhere Georgia, who is already engaged and fears the Lord—yup, this has Jacksonville written all over it.

You

Are

Wrong.

I agree, the locale is a much better fit for him.  Close to home and he doesn’t seem like a big city guy.  No solace for me though.  

• Upvote 1

The players don't live in NYC, they live in the suburbs of NJ.  While eli manning wasn't a great QB he was also a southern guy who wasn't a big city guy.  He handled the media perfectly through winning and losing.  Trevor Lawrence would do the same only he'd be a great QB.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The players don't line in NYC, they live in the suburbs of NJ.  While eli manning wasn't a great QB he was also a southern guy who wasn't a big city guy.  He handled the media perfectly through winning and losing.  Trevor Lawrence would do the same only he'd be a great QB.

Thats still a lot different than the small town he grew up in.  

Eli Manning grew up in New Orleans, a major city. Lawrence grew up in a relatively rural town of 20,000.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Thats still a lot different than the small town he grew up in.  

Eli Manning grew up in New Orleans, a major city. Lawrence grew up in a relatively rural town of 20,000.

Lawrence grew up less than an hour from Atlanta.  He wasn't in the backwoods of North Dakota.  It's basically like someone around here growing up on long Island, Westchester or Northern NJ

49 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Lawrence grew up less than an hour from Atlanta.  He wasn't in the backwoods of North Dakota.  It's basically like someone around here growing up on long Island, Westchester or Northern NJ

I'm not familiar with the lifestyle in GA but over here, people move back and forth a lot. They don't stay put. 

Way more people as well. 

I wonder if Joe Namath thought that way when he was from some small town in western Pa?

It's just silly to think he cannot handle playing and living here.  He's been in the spotlight since HS.  We have beautiful suburbs that are small towns if he wants to avoid City Life.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The players don't live in NYC, they live in the suburbs of NJ.  While eli manning wasn't a great QB he was also a southern guy who wasn't a big city guy.  He handled the media perfectly through winning and losing.  Trevor Lawrence would do the same only he'd be a great QB.

People living in the suburbs work and move in NYC. Its the same type of people everywhere. He's not gonna have that 'southern family feel' or whatever he's used to (i hope i don't sound stereotypical). 

Eli was groomed for the big stage by his dad, he had pro football in his bloodline. And all this, before the hyper-visible scrutiny of social media. 

Just now, predator_05 said:

People living in the suburbs work and move in NYC. Its the same type of people everywhere. He's not gonna have that 'southern family feel' or whatever he's used to (i hope i don't sound stereotypical). 

Eli was groomed for the big stage by his dad, he had pro football in his bloodline. And all this, before the hyper-visible scrutiny of social media. 

So people don't work in Atlanta and live in the suburbs down there?

Great point about social media as Lawrence has been dealing with social media scrutiny since he was in HS. 

There would be zero concern about Lawrence living and playing in this area if the Jets get the top pick.

5 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

As someone who grew up in a small town an hour from a big city.  No, they aren’t.  NYC metro is a totally different world.  

I grew up in the burbs in NY and have spent time in Southern cities/suburbs....its not all that different. People go to work and send their kids to school. I guess people go to church more, but other than that, suburbs of any city are fairly similar. 

Not sure why this only comes up with QB's...plenty of other prospects grew up in far greater off the grid types of places in Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi etc. That's different than Buckhead or wherever Lawrence is from. People move into NYC/Manhattan all the time and adapt. It's hard not to (well maybe now it is, but that's bc everything is closed)

Just now, Matt39 said:

I grew up in the burbs in NY and have spent time in Southern cities/suburbs....its not all that different. People go to work and send their kids to school. I guess people go to church more, but other than that, suburbs of any city are fairly similar.

Not sure why this only comes up with QB's...plenty of other prospects grew up in far greater off the grid types of places in Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi etc. That's different than Buckhead or wherever Lawrence is from.

Yeah, “Lawrence grew up in Cartersville, GA, so clearly he would have been a disaster in New York” is weapons-grade cope

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Not sure why this only comes up with QB's...plenty of other prospects grew up in far greater off the grid types of places in Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi etc. That's different than Buckhead or wherever Lawrence is from. People move into NYC/Manhattan all the time and adapt. It's hard not to (well maybe now it is, but that's bc everything is closed)

I would argue that many guys fail because of this.  They don’t have the support system, and an NFL city is a culture shock, especially at age 21.  Sure, many can adapt, but not everyone. You see it in the regular world all the time.

I wouldn’t say Cartersville is the burbs either.  Not like NY metro burbs.  Where I grew up, an hour from an NFL city, the world couldn’t be more different than anywhere within hours of the NY metro area.  I have lived in two other nfl cities, in the ny metro area and now i live in a town of 700.  The NY metro area is just very different.  Even small NFL cities are a culture shock to people from rural areas.

That isn’t to say that Lawrence couldn’t have made it work.  He could have thrived.  We will never know.  But, Jacksonville does seem like a better fit if you pay attention to what Lawrence seems to be about.  

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Here's what Denzel Mims, a small town guy from Texas had to say:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/denzel-mims-philly-jets-eagles-nfl-draft-2020-joe-douglas-new-york-meadowlands/

Trevor is more media-trained, he won't say anything like that, but i'd be surprised if he didn't feel the same way. Not saying Trevor can't be successful in NY, but its a different setting and takes getting used to.

He'd definitely be more at home in Jaxonville

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I wonder if Joe Namath thought that way when he was from some small town in western Pa?

It's just silly to think he cannot handle playing and living here.  He's been in the spotlight since HS.  We have beautiful suburbs that are small towns if he wants to avoid City Life.

Joe willy heard that new york was Sodom and celebrated 

Trevor Lawrence is going to be like a dude from the book of Mormon, wherever he ends up 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Tedryno said:

I saw multiple posts on here about, “why would anyone want to play in Jacksonville?”

Do you people even know who you are talking about?  Do you think this kid is from Syosset, LI?

This has JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA written all over it.  Sure, all of you Tri-Staters, like me, would choose NYC over Jacksonville, FL 101 times out of a hundred.  Trevor Lawrence is not us.

Trevor Lawrence, the southern kid, from a podunk town in the middle of nowhere Georgia, who is already engaged and fears the Lord—yup, this has Jacksonville written all over it.

You

Are

Wrong.

Doesn't matter at all what his preference is.  It matters only who has the first pick, which is why yesterday's game was devastating.

42 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Here's what Denzel Mims, a small town guy from Texas had to say:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/denzel-mims-philly-jets-eagles-nfl-draft-2020-joe-douglas-new-york-meadowlands/

Trevor is more media-trained, he won't say anything like that, but i'd be surprised if he didn't feel the same way. Not saying Trevor can't be successful in NY, but its a different setting and takes getting used to.

He'd definitely be more at home in Jaxonville

When people not from this area think of New York they think NYC, big buildings, maybe crime and murder.  They don't realize pro players rarely live in NYC.  The majority live in the suburbs, in nice, safe neighborhoods with big houses and lawns.

8 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

I mean it was one of the few things that worried me about TL...there is a little bit of a trying to make Randy Johnson a Yankee vibe even though TL doesn’t seem to be nearly as much of an a-hole.

But OP’s post acts like he is breaking news on this kid that nobody ever knew. Fuggouttahere!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Cuz they both have long hair?

9 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

I mean it was one of the few things that worried me about TL...there is a little bit of a trying to make Randy Johnson a Yankee vibe even though TL doesn’t seem to be nearly as much of an a-hole.

But OP’s post acts like he is breaking news on this kid that nobody ever knew. Fuggouttahere!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The "he can't play in NY" thing is so incredibly overrated.  Randy was at the end of his career.  

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

When people not from this area think of New York they think NYC, big buildings, maybe crime and murder.  They don't realize pro players rarely live in NYC.  The majority live in the suburbs, in nice, safe neighborhoods with big houses and lawns.

No sh*t, most of suburban America looks exactly the same; big box stores, parking lots, gated neighborhoods, elementary schools. 

But we're talking about the people. Their lifestyle. Their behaviors. What are the people like here, compared to those in GA? You can't tell me they're the same.

If i go down south, I'd be creeped out if some random guy said "good morning" to me. But this is normal. Social norms vary immensely. Denzel Mims noticed this almost instantly, Trevor lawrence would as well. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

No sh*t, most of suburban America looks exactly the same; big box stores, parking lots, gated neighborhoods, elementary schools. 

But we're talking about the people. Their lifestyle. Their behaviors. What are the people like here, compared to those in GA? You can't tell me they're the same.

If i go down south, I'd be creeped out if some random guy said "good morning" to me. But this is normal. Social norms vary immensely. Denzel Mims noticed this almost instantly, Trevor lawrence would as well. 

I’m currently in the NY burbs visiting for the holidays and plenty of people have said good morning. I live in a burb of South Tampa and basically the biggest difference is the weather. Could be there are a ton of Ny’ers in Florida but many of these cities and their suburbs operate similarly. There are friendly and rude people everywhere.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, PS17 said:

I knew a hardcore Christian girl from Florida when I was in college. She told me she was saving herself for marriage with her boyfriend who she was madly in love with. She then told me they don’t have vaginal sex, only anal. True story. 

And her name was @joewilly12 she/her/hers

On 12/20/2020 at 10:08 PM, Tedryno said:

This has JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA written all over it.  Sure, all of you Tri-Staters, like me, would choose NYC over Jacksonville, FL 101 times out of a hundred.  Trevor Lawrence is not us.Trevor Lawrence, the southern kid, from a podunk town in the middle of nowhere Georgia, who is already engaged and fears the Lord—yup, this has Jacksonville written all over it.

You

Are

Wrong.

phone rings..

trev's dad answers the phone..

.. " Hey trev !  it's the jets ! ! "...

?  trev -

raw