Film Review Fields, Wilson, Sewell

What a time to be alive!

Never I felt so bad im my sports fan life when I saw 57 year old Frank Gore catch a pass that would seal a meaningless win to put the Jets in QB limbo for at least another 5 years it was like someone just snatched the soul of my body.

So basically after raging my balls off after the game I decided to go rewatch some film to try to convince that we can still have hope for this team.

To me theres only 3 prospects that you can make a argument that are deserving of the 2nd pick they are, Penei Sewell, the tackle from Oregon, Justin Fields the QB for Ohio State and last but not least Zach Wilson the QB for BYU.

Penei Sewell, Tackle 6'6 365 - Oregon 

Pros - 

-Athleticism: A perfect combination of size, speed and power. He can do everything that you ask him, is at his best when attacking defenders, top tier outside zone blocking, he will explode of his stance and get to the next level in a blink.

-Hands: You can see the power in his hands when he attacks a defender, has a very good hand placement in pass pro.

-Leader: Seems like a great kid and locker room guy, is always hyping his teammates up and makes other people better.

-Age: Will only be 20 years old when drafted and will play most of his rookie season under 21.

-Production: Outland Trophy Winner (Best College OL), finished sophomore campaign as the top-graded offensive lineman in PFF history 95.5, only 1 sack allowed in 1,376 snaps.

Cons -

-Position: Is he a tackle or a guard? He seems to be better when attacking defenders and not being left in a island trying to cover ground, I still believe that he can be a All-Pro in both positions but its someting to consider.

-Technique: Even though he show flashes of great technique he tends to relie often to his great athleticism, he will have to get better in his technique if he will play tackle in the NFL especially on his feet.

Overall -

Sewell is a blue chip prospect, his raw speed, power and size combination is really something that we don't see very often. In a perfect world if the Jets didn't desperate need a QB he would be a no brainer, this guy can be a HOF and give Quenton Nelson and Zack Martin a run for best OL in the NFL. As for what he needs to work on is mainly his tecnhique if he gets a good coach he'll probably dominate like he did in college. 

Games watched - Auburn, Washington, Wisconsin and Utah all in 2019.

Justin Fields, Quarterback 6'3 228 - OSU

Pros -

-Athleticism: 6'3 228 Fields is built like a tank, he's a tough guy to bring down and is a threat to run every time a play breaks down.

-Pocket Feel: Has shown a very good pocket presence in most of his games, has the ability to slide and shed incoming blitzers and keep his eyes down the field and make the throw a-la Deshaun Watson.

-Running Ability: He's a dual threat QB that will run the ball when he has the chance, when drafting Fields your offense has to incorporate QB runs to better utilize his skill set.

-Accuracy: When in rythm Fields is a very good passer that will rarely miss, good throwing on the run too.

-Decision making: Fields seems to always make good decisons and not forcing throws only has 8 career INTs.

Cons -

-One read: Fields tends to lock pretty hard on his first read and has trouble moving for another read, he had shown improvement in earlier this season but has regressed a little bit in that regard.

-Arm strength: Arm strength is just average, doesn't really have that much of a zip on his throws but is enough to be a good QB in the NFL.

-Release: His release is kinda slow not great IMO.

-Bad games: Has some pretty bad games this year that really put Trevor as the undisputed number 1, the Indiana game he showed a lot of the problems pointed here and even though he was hurt in the BIG10 Championship his play was awful he combined for 30-57 414 YRDs 2 TDs and 5 INTs in those games.

-System: Ohio State System tends to inflate QB numbers and that should be a concern, as WRs run wide open and the QB only have to complete a pass, he does not lead WRs open like he will have to do in the NFL.

-Holds the ball: Fields tends to hold the ball for way to long resulting in sacks and missplays, this is evident in most of his games.

Overall -

I really don't know if Fields could be a good QB in the NFL, he tends to lock on his first read way to much and that will cost him in the NFL, I do believe that if he was going to a situation like Dak did when he was drafted by Dallas he could flourish, both him and Dak have really similar traits and having a good OL would really help on his development as a NFL pocket passer, that is not what he will be getting here in NY, Panthers really look like a good fit for him even though I think he should go back to school for another year.

Games Watched - All 2020 games, Semifinals Clemson 2019.

Zach Wilson, Quarterback 6'3 210 - BYU

Pros -

-Arm Strength: Very good arm strength can make any pass and more!

-Quick release: The ball just comes out in a hurry reminds me of Kyler Murray.

-Touch Accuracy: Can change arm angles and put touch when needed on the balls, always gives his receivers a chance to come up with the ball no matter what situation.

-Running Ability: He can run with the ball even though I wouldn't recommend that in the NFL for him due to his size but he will be able to escape some pressure and always be a threat to scramble.

-Deep Throws: Great touch and placement on his deep throws.

-The Wow factor: Man o man when you see some of his throws its impossible to not think Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers, he always seems to put the ball in a place that only his WRs can get, its a beatiful thing to watch.

-Decision Making: Just like Fields he rarely throws INT's always seems to make the right pass, that can change in the NFL tho, he throws a lot of 50-50 balls to his WRs.

Cons -

-Size and durability: He's listed as 6'3 210 but he sure doesn't looks like that, you would like to see him change his body a little bit to hold up to the NFL game. Had surgery on his throwing hand and shoulder this past offseason.

-Not great against pressure: In all the games I watched he was not very good when the pressure got to him, he had a lot of clean pockets to throw of in the games that I saw.

-Strength of the schedule: BYU plays a weak schedule it's good to see him dominate teams like Boise but you would like to see better competition overall.

-1 year wonder: Only has one year of good production, could be he be another Joe Burrow?

Overall -

Can he perform against NFL competition? Will his body hold up in the NFL? Is he really just a one year wonder? Theres a lot of questions for Zach Wilson, you can't just fall in love with some of his beatiful throws and ignore the rest, to me his a way better passer than Fields, but he has so many questions that its really difficult to lock him as the number 2 in the draft, he looks like the perfect QB for the 49ers but can we make it work here in NY? We would have to build a very good offensive line to keep him safe as his body mattures for the next level. Douglas was with the Eagles when they took Carson Wentz another small school kid, Zach Wilson has the accuracy and arm to make it work in the NFL, I really believe that its a matter of who you surround him with in his early years.

Games watched: All 2020, USC 2019 and Tenneessee 2019.

So to finish off the Jets would be better not winning against the fking Rams and making this process way more easier, if we can't get the number 1 pick in the coming weeks it will be a very tough  decision for JD, he can probably trade back and get a WR like Chase or Devonta Smith. Probably the best decision is to draft the stud LT and get a veteran QB to battle with Sam Darnold, suck another year, draft the CB from LSU in 2022 and move on in QB purgatory for the rest of our life.

Go JAX!

• Upvote 3

Draft Sewell and put him at RT or LG. At guard the Jets would be unstoppable on the left side. Then draft Harris or Ettienne and then a center.  Ground and pound and hope Darnold can be a bus driver or better yet turn into Alex Smith. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I like it, but Darnold is a bust

I like your analyses a lot.  I agree on fields, he’s very much a product of the ohio state talent around him.  Wilson has natural accuracy IMO, and moxie.  If the jets are going to move on from darnold and take a flier on a new qb it will be Wilson.