Congratulations to the players and the coaches

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

I actually do feel good for them. You saw that they were flying around out there despite being a disaster.

Still want Trevor. Go Jags

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I still hope the Jags could win. Everyone says there is no way but we got beat by Seattle by 37 and then beat a team that was tied with them for first place. And it sounds like the Jets played hard. Tanking is almost impossible in the NFL.  The Jags play and up and down Chicago team and then a Colts team that will rest its starters to try to not hand their division rivals a generational QB.  All this whining from fans might be premature.

1 hour ago, MeanGene said:

Mehki will be out of NY in a seci, enjoy him for 2 more season as it's guranteed that he'll be looking for a way out like Jamal. What do you think Jamal whispered to him on the field? "You gotta get out of there bro."

Well with that logic then it was a good thing they won yesterday because now the draft a guy who could slide right in for Becton if necessary.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Because there are so many other things important in life? 

I am happily married, love to fish, learning to shoot... do NOT enjoy long walks on the beach even though I am 20 minutes from Siesta Key.

In terms of NFL football?  Miserable and hopeless...

24 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

32 NFL HC jobs in the world. Tons of cap space, tons of draft picks and still the  #2 pick or maybe even still #1 pick . Yeah I can see candidates saying they want  no part of that . 

And no quarterback, the most important position in all of sports.

10 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

I still hope the Jags could win. Everyone says there is no way but we got beat by Seattle by 37 and then beat a team that was tied with them for first place. And it sounds like the Jets played hard. Tanking is almost impossible in the NFL.  The Jags play and up and down Chicago team and then a Colts team that will rest its starters to try to not hand their division rivals a generational QB.  All this whining from fans might be premature.

Colts may rest starters if division is decided 

37 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

These guys are playing for jobs. It would be like wanting a company to fail because there's a prospect of a buyout and you hold stock so your rooting for the buyout. You don't care if the workers of the company get fired just as long your stock goes up.  Sure it sucks that maybe the Jets will lose out on Lawrence but lets keep some perspective here. 

I don't blame them for trying to win - I blame ownership for allowing it to happen.  

But Becton and the others didn't have to seem giddy when asked about the fans being upset.  Sure they want to win, but to be dismissive of long suffering fans views wasn't an enjoyable thing to see.  

Setting back the franchise a decade to win a meaningless game is Dec is not a reason to celebrate.

But, it really doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't blame them for trying to win - I blame ownership for allowing it to happen.  

But Becton and the others didn't have to seem giddy when asked about the fans being upset.  Sure they want to win, but to be dismissive of long suffering fans views wasn't an enjoyable thing to see.  

Setting back the franchise a decade to win a meaningless game is Dec is not a reason to celebrate.

If Joe Douglas is the personnel man we hope him to be, there is a plan B. And always has been.

If he is not, having Trevor Lawrence will not have made a difference any way. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

The same fans who boo or don't show up for games. The same fans who will walk away if the Jets don't get Lawrenece or keep Gase. Yes the players should be sending those fans letters of apology for winning a game which by the way is their job and livelihood. 

9 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Who said that?  The jets are years away from the Dolphins.  

In 2007 the Fins were 1-15 in 2008 they were 11-5 after adding Chad and new coach Sparono light years can go fast with the right pieces.. Like when the Tuna left a Bowl team to go to the 1-15 Jets..

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Any positive opinion about yesterday doesn't compute for me.  It is some kind of combo of denial, delusion, and borderline lunacy.  The Jets have screwed up another golden opportunity to change the fortunes of the franchise.

Maybe my worst day ever as a fan.  Still dejected this morning, and I have grown mostly numb to them. 

That is how bad this is... 

I hate this team… Even when we win we lose... nothing but losing and more losing… Yeah let’s draft a quarterback, and not build around him, let’s hire the worst coach in the league, how long before Joe Douglas wants out, when the Johnsons insist on picking the new coach...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

In 2007 the Fins were 1-15 in 2008 they were 11-5 after adding Chad and new coach Sparono light years can go fast with the right pieces.. Like when the Tuna left a Bowl team to go to the 1-15 Jets..

The jets have had 3 good seasons in my 40 years.  I don’t see anything changing.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The same fans who boo or don't show up for games. The same fans who will walk away if the Jets don't get Lawrenece or keep Gase. Yes the players should be sending those fans letters of apology for winning a game which by the way is their job and livelihood. 

Yes.  Exactly.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

If Joe Douglas is the personnel man we hope him to be, there is a plan B. And always has been.

In two games, Adam Gase will be a position coach, Marcus Maye will be someplace else circling the Darnold game on his schedule, and Frank Gore will be dead.

This is the blue ribbon committee Joe Douglas assembled yesterday to decide who gets to be quarterback next year.

If he hasn't exhausted whatever presumption of good faith you feel he was entitled to, you are a sucker.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

In two games, Adam Gase will be a position coach, Marcus Maye will be someplace else circling the Darnold game on his schedule, and Frank Gore will be dead.

This is the blue ribbon committee Joe Douglas assembled yesterday to decide who gets to be quarterback next year.

If he hasn't exhausted whatever presumption of good faith you feel he was entitled to, you are a sucker.

And, opinions are like a-holes.......

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Lawrence is a great prospect, but only millennial media are comparing him to Peyton. Anyone who studied Peyton as a prospect knows that his game was entirely different and didn’t consist of throwing 80% swings and screens with far superior teammates than the opponents. Peyton looked for the best matchup pre-snap, made sure he went that way, and pushed the ball downfield. Lastly, Peyton was already calling his own plays and had the mental work ethic down at Tenn.

Lawrence is not there yet. He still runs what’s called and doesn’t do half of the stuff Peyton did at the line, and again, he rarely pushes the ball down the field.

Again, I wanted Lawrence and think he’s a great prospect, but some of this stuff is just too hyperbolic to let slide.

Peyton Manning wasn't even the consensus top pick in the 1998 draft. The ret-conning like he was known by all the be the second coming doesn't change that.

Truth is, when Colts general manager Bill Polian consulted with his coaches and scouting staff, the feedback was 50-50. Some were convinced Leaf had the stronger arm and greater upside. And other teams thought so, too.

A Newsday poll of 20 NFL general managers favored Leaf over Manning: “The overwhelming consensus: Manning may have the more recognizable name, but Leaf clearly is the preferred quarterback among league executives. Fourteen of the 20 polled said they would draft Leaf over Manning, citing the Washington State quarterback’s stronger arm, better mobility, and more promising long-term prospect as a franchise-caliber player.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/peyton-manning-week-draft-manning-ryan-leaf

The simple fact is that none of these guys are "Dan Marino" or "Peyton Manning" or "Patrick Mahomes" until they become those guys in the NFL. The TL/Payton comparisons might actually be selling TL short. He is the consensus #1 overall and is a superior prospect to Peyton Manning. Luck is a much more appropriate comparison IMHO.

ImageEpuNKMIXYAQQWW5?format=jpg&name=360x360EpuNKMEXEAISK0Y?format=jpg&name=360x360EpuNKMMXEAAG_kg?format=jpg&name=360x360

KuhnjXpk_bigger.jpg

As Jets QB Sam Darnold has said throughout, he reiterates his thoughts on the character of the club: We have great guys in that locker room + a great coaching staff. I'm super proud of them. 'It's an amazing feeling. I can't wait to go celebrate with my teammates and coaches.'

Yep all that's missing is a tearful CJ, with his arm around Gase talking about the way football is going in the future.  Wait till the Jets beat the pats in OT week 17
Buckle up folks, it's going to test your fandom

24 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I've been a fan a lot longer than Becton has been a Jets player and I suspect I'll be a Jets fan long after Becton is gone.  I have no problem with him being happy for a win.  There are fans all over this country who root for terrible teams every year and justify their time, energy and money by deluding themselves to believe in waiting till next year.  

The NFL has turned the Draft and Free agency into a television event.  The league has monetized the draft and intentionally created a level of hype to reward the fans of losing teams and keep them on the hook.   If Becton wants to piss on Jets fans who have bought in to the NFL draft as a way to make the weaker teams stronger and keep competitive balance, he's pissing in the wrong hole.  

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Peyton Manning wasn't even the consensus top pick in the 1998 draft. The ret-conning like he was known by all the be the second coming doesn't change that.

Truth is, when Colts general manager Bill Polian consulted with his coaches and scouting staff, the feedback was 50-50. Some were convinced Leaf had the stronger arm and greater upside. And other teams thought so, too.

A Newsday poll of 20 NFL general managers favored Leaf over Manning: “The overwhelming consensus: Manning may have the more recognizable name, but Leaf clearly is the preferred quarterback among league executives. Fourteen of the 20 polled said they would draft Leaf over Manning, citing the Washington State quarterback’s stronger arm, better mobility, and more promising long-term prospect as a franchise-caliber player.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/peyton-manning-week-draft-manning-ryan-leaf

The simple fact is that none of these guys are "Dan Marino" or "Peyton Manning" or "Patrick Mahomes" until they become those guys in the NFL. The TL/Payton comparisons might actually be selling TL short. He is the consensus #1 overall and is a superior prospect to Peyton Manning. Luck is a much more appropriate comparison IMHO.

Not being the consensus top pick has nothing to do with quality of prospect. Nothing is being re-conned. Those of us who knew, knew.

"Sometimes being right just has to be its own reward."

19 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

I left like Adam was auditioning to be an assistant on the Rams staff.

15 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not being the consensus top pick has nothing to do with quality of prospect. Nothing is being re-conned. Those of us who knew, knew.

"Sometimes being right just has to be its own reward."

So you were right. That's good. Lawrence is hailed by all as the slam-dunk #1 and is the highest ranked prospect I believe ever. Over 50% of GMs preferred the all-time biggest QB bust over Manning. There is no serious debate nor discussion this time around. Lawrence would have gone #1 in any draft since the Luck draft. Lawrence is a better prospect than Manning. Will it translate into pro success? We'll see.

59 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I'm sure he has a plan - but without a franchise QB it's tough to execute.  Jets don't have a franchise QB right now.  Sure they can get lucky and find one, it's certainly not Justin Fields, but that will take a massive stroke of luck - which, we all know, the Jets do not have.  So sure, he can put together a team that might keep us interested fighting for wild-cards every 3rd year or so - but that's about as best as we can hope for right now.

They had their window and ownership decided that Adam Gase's legacy was more important.

1 hour ago, DJF71 said:

The Jags organization will put the breaks on the season now.  No team in the NFL, but the Jets, would have allowed this to happen.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

So you were right. That's good. But Lawrence is hailed by all as the slam-dunk #1. Over 50% of GMs preferred the all-time biggest QB bust over Manning. There is no serious debate nor discussion this time around. Lawrence is a better prospect than Manning.

So now a QB's quality is based on people's opinions of other QBs in his draft? Naturally then, Chad Pennington is the greatest prospect of all time because he was the truest definition of consensus best QB in the draft.

Just to play your game though, here's an article from SI on 4/13/98 - just a few days before the draft: https://vault.si.com/vault/1998/04/13/the-chairmen-peyton-manning-and-ryan-leaf-are-the-class-of-the-nfl-draft-but-experts-say-one-of-them-stands-head-and-shoulder-pads-above-the-other

Even if we're going with your definition of what makes a prospect good, the people that knew anything about football had Peyton as the slam dunk. The boosters and fans and media guys and idiot GMs looking to make a name for themselves were the ones backing Leaf. Guarantee you'll get the same jazz from Fields backers come April/May '21. That won't diminish Lawrence as a prospect for me, but I'm starting to understand why it will for you. Just because the bears idiot GM traded up to 2 for Trubisky while Mahomes and Watson were available doesn't mean that his opinion should weigh as strongly as a good GM's. 

Here's something else Leaf might not believe: The weight of opinion in the NFL now says that Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning is the clear choice, ahead of Leaf, as the No. 1 pick in the draft, which will be held on April 18 and 19. In the wake of a meteoric Rose Bowl season that sent his pro stock soaring, Leaf became a sort of joint entry with Manning. Discussion of one player rarely passed without mention of the other. There was little doubt that Manning and Leaf would be the top two draft picks; the issue was which would be selected by the Indianapolis Colts, who will choose first, and which would end up with the San Diego Chargers, who have the second selection.

But in the view of a six-man blue-ribbon panel that analyzed game tapes of the players for SI, Leaf doesn't rank as high as Manning. Each expert was asked: If you had to pick one of these players, whom would you take? With different degrees of conviction, each said Manning. Three said they would be shocked if the Colts didn't select him.

The panel was made up of Tampa Bay Buccaneers director of player personnel Jerry Angelo; Sid Gillman, who was instrumental in the development of the West Coach offense; Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan; former New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Phil Simms; UCLA coach Bob Toledo, whose Bruins played Tennessee and Washington State in each of the last two seasons; and former San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh. The panelists raised doubts about Leaf's mental preparedness and mechanics but still liked him as a player. However, they think Manning is the superior prospect at the most important position in the game.