Congratulations to the players and the coaches

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

So now a QB's quality is based on people's opinions of other QBs in his draft? Naturally then, Chad Pennington is the greatest prospect of all time because he was the truest definition of consensus best QB in the draft.

Just to play your game though, here's an article from SI on 4/13/98 - just a few days before the draft: https://vault.si.com/vault/1998/04/13/the-chairmen-peyton-manning-and-ryan-leaf-are-the-class-of-the-nfl-draft-but-experts-say-one-of-them-stands-head-and-shoulder-pads-above-the-other

Even if we're going with your definition of what makes a prospect good, the people that knew anything about football had Peyton as the slam dunk. The boosters and fans and media guys looking to make a name for themselves were the ones backing Leaf. Guarantee you'll get the same jazz from Fields backers come April/May '21. That won't diminish Lawrence as a prospect for me, but I'm starting to understand why it will for you.  

No one can see the future. But a player's quality as a prospect is largely defined by opinion, yes.

The Pennington analogy is amusing -- intended or otherwise. You can't be the best prospect ever without being the consensus top pick. Those guys don't go #18 in the draft. Especially when talking about the most important position in sport.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You take varying opinions and apply equal weight to them. 

I take varying opinions and apply varying weight to them. 

You're talking well above my head. :)  Although I think a survey of 20 GMs is pretty solid evidence that Manning wasn't considered a better prospect than Ryan Leaf, and thus cannot be in consideration for "best prospect ever."

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I actually feel good for them. To hear some of the sound bites (especially Becton), and the joy in their voices, you begin to understand the other side of this. No player or coach wants the stain of a winless season on their record.

I understand and respect that this is not a popular opinion here. But, perspective. Did I want to have the ability to add Trevor Lawrence to the Jets? Yes, I did because it would have been interesting to watch and made a good storyline. Am I devastated that may now be diminishing as a possibility? No. It was long ago when sports results became an important factor in my order of priorities

That is just me, but again I preach perspective. Someone on this site had a baby yesterday. I am still very interested in how this team builds forward, and will have zeal in that process.

Go ahead, hammer away and tell me I am wrong.

These players dont give a hoot about who the next great QB is. Like others have said.... most won't be around to see it. They're playing for their next contract and looking to catch someone's eye! Some borderline players stepped up yesterday.... Hall, Luvu, Hewitt, Ficken, Mann, the entire OL & DL.

These players don't care about SOJ fans. They can't please them no matter what. Win, celebrate and try and win again!

Very happy for the players even though I felt my guts ripped out! No need to bitch and moan for another month over this! 

The problem with trying to pick the next great QB prospect is the QB position is a big picture position.  It's very hard to predict based on measurable and tape from College ball which guys will process information and translate it to their bodies at an elite NFL Level.  You're talking about something 6 to 10 people a decade can do.  

45 minutes ago, jgb said:

You're talking well above my head. :)  Although I think a survey of 20 GMs is pretty solid evidence that Manning wasn't considered a better prospect than Ryan Leaf, and thus cannot be in consideration for "best prospect ever."

All I mean is that if 5 of your 20 were Ozzie Newsome level GMs with 1 agenda of picking the best players for their teams, while 15 of your 20 are Maccagnan level GMs with varying agendas, then I don't care about what those 20 GMs have to say in a singular voice.

Generally speaking, that's where we are in the league - a handful of great GMs with great teams who rely on their evaluators, while the rest are well below them. So even if 27 GMs favored Leaf, it doesn't diminish Peyton as a prospect - it just means that the 5 smart ones get their choice of better players. 

This is exactly what we see happening year in and year out over the course of NFL history, and that's why we see teams that are consistently great even though they're consistently picking later in the draft. They're just smarter than the rest. 

• Upvote 1