More good news!

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Don’t worry though!  It’s highly unlikely that a couple of QBs will dominate the conference for a long time.  I mean, did Brady, Peyton and Big Ben win the AFC almost every year from 2002-2018 with only a couple of exceptions?

I still have real trouble with the apparent belief that wherever TL goes, that team will suddenly become perennial contenders. Whether us, Jax, wherever.

Mahomes is a great player, yes. But KC was already a contending team which Mahomes helped take that critical step. He didn't come into a wasteland and turn them around single-handed.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Don’t worry though!  It’s highly unlikely that a couple of QBs will dominate the conference for a long time.  I mean, did Brady, Peyton and Big Ben win the AFC almost every year from 2002-2018 with only a couple of exceptions?

With the exception of Kyler Murray, every. single. one. of the NFL's future stars is living in the AFC:

Mahomes. Watson. Herbert. Burrow. Tua. Allen. Lamar. Mayfield. 

And then you have Trevor coming next season. 

If we're looking to the near future, the AFC is gonna be impossible for the Jets to win. Even if things were to go well, this conference is gonna be a million times more competitive than the NFC, which is packed with old farts and mediocre losers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

With the exception of Kyler Murray, every. single. one. of the NFL's future stars is living in the AFC:

Mahomes. Watson. Herbert. Burrow. Tua. Allen. Lamar. Mayfield. 

And then you have Trevor coming next season. 

If we're looking at the near future, the AFC is gonna be impossible for the Jets to win. Even if things were to go well, this conference is gonna be a million times more competitive than the NFC, which is packed with old farts and mediocre QBs. 

I don't think Mayfield belongs in that category but those others are going to be a real problem. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think Mayfield belongs in that category but those others are going to be a real problem. 

Mayfield is not elite, and never will be, but he can carry a franchise and win lots of games. Especially with a good team around him. Like McNabb did with Philly. 

They've got some elite talent on that roster, no reason they can't contend for a Super Bowl over the next 5 years.

Mayfield stopped playing hero-ball, cut down his INTs and got his completion rate up. It doesn't take much more than that if you have a solid team. 

• Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some folks look for any excuse to give up.

Who's giving up?  I'm just looking at this from a realistic perspective.  John Elway (who Trevor is being compared to) went to 5 Superbowls.  Pat Mahomes is early in his career and is already being talked about as one of the all-time greats.  Watson is already considered a top 5 QB in the NFL.  Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, and Joe Burrow are all young and all look extremely promising.

We all know that nothing is guaranteed (and that anyone can get injured) but the QBs listed above are likely going to "get theirs".  And when you add all that up, you have to realistically look at how much is going to be left over. In today's NFL, it's increasingly difficult to win without a ridiculous passing offense.  Maybe it's possible to win in some other way (like the great Denver defense in 2016) for a season but I don't know about the sustainability of something like that.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

The jets haven't had a franchise qb in my lifetime, and that probably won’t change anytime soon.  The jets have always been losers.  

I'm in my mid-60s.  And if you stretch the definition of a "franchise QB" a bit, the last one we had in my lifetime was Ken O'Brien.  So since the middle 1960s, this franchise has had exactly 1.5 franchise QBs.  Wow.  Just say that out loud for true effect.  Insane.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Peyton for all his talent only dominated the regular season. Brady and Ben are great QB's but they had great weapons and great OL not to mention great HC's. We would just have maybe a great QB if we draft Trevor. 

Peyton made 4 Superbowls (though, admittedly, he was carried to that last one).  But even if it was only 3 Superbowls from him, it adds up.  Brady has gone to 9 in his career (though "only" 8 in the above time period) and Ben went to 3. 

Again, the issue is that when you account for what the superstars are likely going to get, you have to look at what's realistically remaining.  Think of as feeding frenzy in the wild.  The strongest animals eat very well while the rest fight for scraps.

38 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Mayfield is not elite, and never will be, but he can carry a franchise and win lots of games. Especially with a good team around him. Like McNabb did with Philly. 

They've got some elite talent on that roster, no reason they can't contend for a Super Bowl over the next 5 years.

Mayfield stopped playing hero-ball, cut down his INTs and got his completion rate up. It doesn't take much more than that if you have a solid team. 

And OBJ is not playing which I think has been a huge plus for Mayfield

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Peyton made 4 Superbowls (though, admittedly, he was carried to that last one).  But even if it was only 3 Superbowls from him, it adds up.  Brady has gone to 9 in his career (though "only" 8 in the above time period) and Ben went to 3. 

Again, the issue is that when you account for what the superstars are likely going to get, you have to look at what's realistically remaining.  Think of as feeding frenzy in the wild.  The strongest animals eat very well while the rest fight for scraps.

AFC in the 2000s wasn't very competitive. 

Colts, Patriots, and Steelers were in a different league to everyone else. The only competitive division was the AFC North, where you had the Steelers, Ravens and underrated Bengals. 

NFC was super competitive though. But without any outstanding QBs, except for Brett Favre. 

I think we're in a better place now, with more good teams and a greater number of quality QBs across the board. You'll see never see a couple of teams dominate the conference, its more even. The Chiefs aren't unbeatable, you won't see Mahomes going to 9 SBs like Brady did. 

1 minute ago, predator_05 said:

AFC in the 2000s wasn't very competitive. 

Colts, Patriots, and Steelers were in a different league to everyone else. The only competitive division was the AFC North, where you had the Steelers, Ravens and underrated Bengals. 

NFC was super competitive though. But without any outstanding QBs, except for Brett Favre. 

I think we're in a better place now, with more good teams and a greater number of quality QBs across the board. You'll see never see a couple of teams dominate the conference, its more even. The Chiefs aren't unbeatable, you won't see Mahomes going to 9 SBs like Brady did. 

Could you see Mahomes going to 3-4 Superbowls in the next 10 years?  

29 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm in my mid-60s.  And if you stretch the definition of a "franchise QB" a bit, the last one we had in my lifetime was Ken O'Brien.  So since the middle 1960s, this franchise has had exactly 1.5 franchise QBs.  Wow.  Just say that out loud for true effect.  Insane.

I lived through O’Brien.  He was good, probably better than some give him credit for, but not a franchise qb unfortunately.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Nope, he can't carry a team at all. He needs elite talent - those points are not the same. He will never be better than a mid tier starter. The talent around him is excellent.

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Could you see Mahomes going to 3-4 Superbowls in the next 10 years?  

It's possible but i wouldn't bet on it.

There's a lot more to it...with cap restrictions, players getting old, weaknesses elsewhere etc. The window for reaching a Super Bowl is 2-3 seasons max. 

I'm thinking back to Aaron Rodgers' break-out season back in 2009. He won the Super Bowl the very next season, and i thought he'd win at least 3 SBs. He's still stuck on 1, and hasn't reached a SB since. He was the 'Mahomes' of the previous generation. 

The Patriots were the only team consistently reaching the latter stages of the playoffs, but even they went 10 years between SBs. 

6 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Nope, he can't carry a team at all. He needs elite talent - those points are not the same. He will never be better than a mid tier starter. The talent around him is excellent.

He rookie year was incredible; the best i have seen in a long time. He didn't get enough credit for it.

I'm probably overestimating his abilities, but the Browns are in a good spot with him. 

14 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

He rookie year was incredible; the best i have seen in a long time. He didn't get enough credit for it.

I'm probably overestimating his abilities, but the Browns are in a good spot with him. 

You are way overrating Baker.  He's nothing special at all.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I lived through O’Brien.  He was good, probably better than some give him credit for, but not a franchise qb unfortunately.  

Yeah, agreed.  That's why I gave him half credit.   Great deep ball thrower.  Darnold dreams of his arm and ability to read defenses.  

Problem with Obie was that he had lead feet.  Plus in that era, you could still hit the QB.  He got destroyed by tons of sacks. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Calling people stating cold hard facts "vaginas" doesn't change that they're stating cold hard acts. 

What’s a fact, nobody knows what the future brings. Mahommes looks great, maybe he dominates for 15 years like Brady or maybe (god forbid) he has a career altering injury. Trevor Lawrence hasn’t played one snap in the nfl and now we are anointing the Jaguars as perennial super bowl contenders. 

The only thing that’s a fact is that right now mahommes is awesome and Trevor Lawrence is out of our reach at this particular moment. Nothing else. Unless we are gonna continue to cry about the past