Did we actually see Sam execute a game plan yesterday

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

We saw a lot of quick throws to check downs and a good run game against the leagues number 1 defense. We won because the Rams O couldn't get its head out of its butt but their D played as most of us expected. This team may not be as bad as I thought. 

Fools gold, this team and coaching staff are awful. Think about the previous 3 months and how many games were over before they even barely began. ( 9ers, bills twice, chiefs, colts, dolphins we couldn’t even score 1 touchdown) And the 3 games we absolutely blew, the Broncos, patriots, raiders. We have some players we can start to build around:Becton, Q, Maye if brought back, Mims. We need to hit on our 2 first rounders, but more importantly we need a real head coach. As far as this team goes, they deserve their 1-13 record. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We saw a lot of quick throws to check downs and a good run game against the leagues number 1 defense. We won because the Rams O couldn't get its head out of its butt but their D played as most of us expected. This team may not be as bad as I thought. 

The team is terrible.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

once gase is gone i think we will be better than expected. Every player that gets away from gase improves (too many to cite specifically but we've seen the lists on this board)... we have probably 40 players set to improve almost immediately on his removal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

The team is terrible.

I am starting to come around on some players. I think the OL is starting to play better opening up running lanes and pass protecting much better now than the first 2/3 of the season. I think if we draft a guy like Leatherwood, this might be all we need there. Johnson looks like a good 3rd down back and a guy we can put in as a starter for a few games. There are some others besides who has already been mentioned. I was all for waiving the entire team except Q, Becton, and Mims but there might be some additional ayers that can be here long term. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

We've seen Sam execute game plans before. 

The problem with Darnold is that he is inconsistent. He doesn't go out there every week and give you a good performance. You get it every once in a while. That's not a franchise QB. It's journeyman/backup type of player.

Broken clock and all 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

What we saw was another scrub QB--Goff--choke a game he should have won.  Also a team which looked like it did not give a sh*t until the fourth quarter.  And I'll say it here:  Aaron Donald, for all his stats, is soft.  Biggest hype in the NFL.  Dude, you suck.

You win, this is the dumbest post I have ever seen on JN.   

That’s saying a lot. 

1 minute ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You win, this is the dumbest post I have ever seen on JN.   

That’s saying a lot. 

So you thought Goff played well?  The Rams showed up to start the game?  Donald imposed his will on our O line?

Grab a muffin or lemon scone on your way out the door into a threshing machine.

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

donald had 10 qb pressures

Okay, I'll defer to his QB pressures.  Did that change the game?  Help them win?   IMO, no.  Only partial sack he had was late in the fourth.  

They way Goff and the team started the game, a good club like KC or Green Bay would have been up by 28 or more in the first quarter.  The entire team--offense, defense, special teams--looked catatonic.  My wife even commented on Goff coming off the field looking either pale sickly or a deer in the headlights.

I have no problem folks liking Donald.  I've seen him play a bunch of times (SB included) and he's often a non factor.  Maybe it's double teams?   

50 minutes ago, Xtina said:

I’ve said it before he looks coachable. That takes having a coach. People forget how much time he’s missed when they talk about this his third year 

He has less to work with this year than last. A rookie WR, who didn't have the benefit of a training camp. A jag WR, in Perriman. And a TE who almost never is involved in the passing game, because that's the way Gase coaches. And still if the o- line is doing a half ass job, Darnold can escape pressure and make plays Build around Darnold and he' ll be a top 10 QB in this league.

• Upvote 1

Everything went right for the Jets and they won by only 3. Blocked punt and an Interception returned inside the 20 yard line. Even with that, the Jets were still a Ram holding penalty or a Braedan Mann tackle away from losing. 

Sam did execute the game plan and did not make any costly turnovers. This game should be put in a file with Colt McCoy's performance against the Seahawks to demonstrate that a QB's first job is to NOT lose the game. This game is why so many frustrated HCs turn their team over to game managers. The first rule of QBing is to do no harm. A bad Jets team beat a much better Ram team because the Jets made no costly mistakes.

I would note, however, that if Adam Gase and his brilliant offensive scheme had any clue as to how to score a TD when you get in the Red Zone, the game would not have been close. And I often wonder how different Sam's QBR might look if he had plays that allowed him to convert a fair amount of those Red Zone appearances into TD passes.

Also, let Mann kick off. He was doing a good job of it and it adds a competent tackler to the coverage team. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Okay, I'll defer to his QB pressures.  Did that change the game?  Help them win?   IMO, no.  Only partial sack he had was late in the fourth.  

They way Goff and the team started the game, a good club like KC or Green Bay would have been up by 28 or more in the first quarter.  The entire team--offense, defense, special teams--looked catatonic.  My wife even commented on Goff coming off the field looking either pale sickly or a deer in the headlights.

I have no problem folks liking Donald.  I've seen him play a bunch of times (SB included) and he's often a non factor.  Maybe it's double teams?   

Darnold was brilliant at escaping from Donald. Give credit when credit is due.

1 minute ago, genot said:

Darnold was brilliant at escaping from Donald. Give credit when credit is due.

Getting only 200 yards passing is not "brilliant", he simply made no major mistakes. Add a blocked punt and the Rams shooting themselves in the foot all day, damn, again, what a pathetic low bar. 

• Upvote 2

I'm amazed how denial plays tricks on people's brains.

Sudden optimism on Sam Darnold? Seriously? Because of one win? Somehow the 13 losses (so far) get thrown out? All so we can feel better that we're no longer in a position to fix the QB position for the next decade again?

We're not just the worst franchise in sports. We may also have the densest fan base.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Getting only 200 yards passing is not "brilliant", he simply made no major mistakes. Add a blocked punt and the Rams shooting themselves in the foot all day, damn, again, what a pathetic low bar. 

Think about it. Mims is a rookie, playing without the benefit of a training camp. Perriman is jag, who busted with the Ravens, and Gase never likes to use his tight ends as receivers. It was true in Miami too. Whats my point. Darnold still is hamstrung by lack of talent and bad coaching. He hasn't regressed. He's been hamstrung. He hasn't progressed either. That's very difficult with what he' s had around him. Until we fix the o-  line and replace Perrimann with a real good, consistent receiver, Darnold like most QB's will have a problem putting up big numbers

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

i think donald is excellent. sometimes he doesnt have a good game. same as mack,no?

i just wanted to add that he put alotta prssure. no more. 

goff is a very strange guy to evaluate.  he's sorta like cousins.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i think donald is excellent. sometimes he doesnt have a good game. same as mack,no?

i just wanted to add that he put alotta prssure. no more. 

goff is a very strange guy to evaluate.  he's sorta like cousins.   

Yeah, totally get your point.  I am probably still too emotional (pissed) regarding Donald and the Rams' play after our win yesterday. Sounds so strange saying that.   He is like Mack and Garrett, too.  They get factored out of games a lot.  You could see Donald was pissed off coming off the field when Gore got that last first down to secure the game.  He knew they blew it with an underwhelming performance by his D.

And Goff?  Like the guy you mention (Cousins), he's like a malfunctioning a light switch.  You're never sure if it's/they're on or off.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

What we saw was another scrub QB--Goff--choke a game he should have won.  Also a team which looked like it did not give a sh*t until the fourth quarter.  And I'll say it here:  Aaron Donald, for all his stats, is soft.  Biggest hype in the NFL.  Dude, you suck.

Was with you until the Donald take. A "soft" guy doesn't get HoF consideration in just his 7th year in the league. He's one of the toughest guys in the league, and the only way to get his stat lines is by producing. If anything, I'd say his performance yesterday was indicative of the strong play by the left side of our OL which bodes well for us.

1 hour ago, Icer said:

I saw a QB avoid the bone headed turnover and dink and dunk his way to 200 yards. In other words, nothing special. We should expect alot more

Why is it if a QB doesn't throw bombs all day his performance is nothing special

Brady made a career out of short passes to guys like Eddelman and White. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Darnold did next to nothing in the 2nd half. Was an occasion when the Jets stayed out of the way of a Rams team crapping away a win. If that's "executing a gameplan" to you, wow, that is a very low bar. 

They scored 10 points in the 3rd qrt and a TD against the Rams at home in the second half. It pains me to say this but Gase called a good game. This was the #1 D in the NFL they played against. 

52 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, totally get your point.  I am probably still too emotional (pissed) regarding Donald and the Rams' play after our win yesterday. Sounds so strange saying that.   He is like Mack and Garrett, too.  They get factored out of games a lot.  You could see Donald was pissed off coming off the field when Gore got that last first down to secure the game.  He knew they blew it with an underwhelming performance by his D.

And Goff?  Like the guy you mention (Cousins), he's like a malfunctioning a light switch.  You're never sure if it's/they're on or off.

Sad thing is the guy who was claimed Sam the Savior 3 yrs back...  is not as good as Goff/Cousins...   maybe he could be. shrug.

dont be pissed if you can help it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

or the rams played worst game of year,, please dont read too much into it,,rams had 2 TDs called back by holding and a TD saved by our punter...