Did we actually see Sam execute a game plan yesterday

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Okay, I'll defer to his QB pressures.  Did that change the game?  Help them win?   IMO, no.  Only partial sack he had was late in the fourth.  

They way Goff and the team started the game, a good club like KC or Green Bay would have been up by 28 or more in the first quarter.  The entire team--offense, defense, special teams--looked catatonic.  My wife even commented on Goff coming off the field looking either pale sickly or a deer in the headlights.

I have no problem folks liking Donald.  I've seen him play a bunch of times (SB included) and he's often a non factor.  Maybe it's double teams?   

As I said, the Jets seemed to have had a good gameplan to counter the Rams D and they executed it. 

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

I'm amazed how denial plays tricks on people's brains.

Sudden optimism on Sam Darnold? Seriously? Because of one win? Somehow the 13 losses (so far) get thrown out? All so we can feel better that we're no longer in a position to fix the QB position for the next decade again?

We're not just the worst franchise in sports. We may also have the densest fan base.

There is hope. Sam's play over the last 3 games suddenly looks decent. Yes there were mistakes but he doesn't look lost and it has a lot to do with better OL play. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

There is hope. Sam's play over the last 3 games suddenly looks decent. Yes there were mistakes but he doesn't look lost and it has a lot to do with better OL play. 

If you haven't learned by now that hope is inversely proportional to outcome in everything Jets, there's no one that can help you.

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

or the rams played worst game of year,, please dont read too much into it,,rams had 2 TDs called back by holding and a TD saved by our punter... 

And if the bear didn't take a ? in the woods, he would have caught the rabbit. How many games have we seen the Jets lose because the other team was lucky and we were not. 

51 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Was with you until the Donald take. A "soft" guy doesn't get HoF consideration in just his 7th year in the league. He's one of the toughest guys in the league, and the only way to get his stat lines is by producing. If anything, I'd say his performance yesterday was indicative of the strong play by the left side of our OL which bodes well for us.

Okay, again I back off my critique.  Not doubting the guy is tough.  Sleepwalking the guy shatters my spine.  But I am not imagining that he has been a non factor in lots of games.  

You say it was our O line.  Fine, I respect your opinion.  I just believe that if a player is on another level and HOF lock, he should get to the QB and wreak havoc on an offense.  Donald just did not accomplish that yesterday against a Jet team that was on the ropes at 0-13 and traveling across country.  And as I said, not just Donald.  Plenty of blame to go around with the Rams level of play yesterday starting with McVay and Goff who both sucked donkey dick.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

We saw a lot of quick throws to check downs and a good run game against the leagues number 1 defense. We won because the Rams O couldn't get its head out of its butt but their D played as most of us expected. This team may not be as bad as I thought. 

That was the same game plan Gase handed Luke Falk last year. Darnold is in shambles

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Okay, again I back off my critique.  Not doubting the guy is tough.  Sleepwalking the guy shatters my spine.  But I am not imagining that he has been a non factor in lots of games.  

You say it was our O line.  Fine, I respect your opinion.  I just believe that if a player is on another level and HOF lock, he should get to the QB and wreak havoc on an offense.  Donald just did not accomplish that yesterday against a Jet team that was on the ropes at 0-13 and traveling across country.  And as I said, not just Donald.  Plenty of blame to go around with the Rams level of play yesterday starting with McVay and Goff who both sucked donkey dick.

This is the NFL. "Any Given Sunday" is a real thing. There's a reason Brady has 3 SB losses, Peyton has 2 SB losses, Brees and Rodgers have only 1 appearance/ring, and Marino has 0 rings. The best players don't always play the best, they just play the best more than average players. The Jets were better than the Rams yesterday. It happens.

Nothing wrong with you calling him soft if that's how you feel, but I disagreed so I opined. I do agree about Goff not been something to write home about, but I believe McVey is getting the most out of him which is a credit to him. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That was the same game plan Gase handed Luke Falk last year. Darnold is in shambles

Look, I agree he has played badly and I was all for movi g on if we can draft Trevor, I still am but I would like to see what he does with a full preseason, no Mono, and OL that actually has played together long enough to know eachothers names, the same group of Wr's for an entire season or at least the same 3 out of 4, and a HC that doesn't make you think wtf on every other play call. 

Jeebus,

LA Rams #1 Passing Defense in the NFL

AVG 192 yds. per game

- Dak                    266

- Wentz                242

- J Allen                311 (LOSS)

- D Jones              190

- WFT (combined)   70

- Garrapolo           268 (LOSS)

- Foles                   261

- Tug                       93 (LOSS)

- R Wilson              248

- N Mullens            252 (LOSS)

- Cam                    119

- K Murray             173

- Brady                  216

- Sam                    207 (LOSS)

So Sam was better than average against the best passing defense in the league?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, jgb said:

200 yards. 1 TD.

Sam is the poster boy for participation trophies and grading on a curve.

Sam was on the road facing the league’s 8th ranked defense overall which is also ranked top 3 in pass defense

But hey let’s ignore the fact that Sam’s Receivers first month and a half of the season were Chris Hogan and Chris Herndon.  Belichick is the only guy who gets the bad WRs excuse

4 hours ago, Copernicus said:

What's getting lost in this is that Darnald played well and beat one of the best teams in the NFL on the road in the midst of a winless season after 13 weeks. Shows something. Now imagine when he gets a real HC and added weapons. I am excited to see what the Jets do now 

This is why the Jets will never be good.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Sam was on the road facing the league’s 8th ranked defense overall which is also ranked top 3 in pass defense

But hey let’s ignore the fact that Sam’s Receivers first month and a half of the season were Chris Hogan and Chris Herndon.  Belichick is the only guy who gets the bad WRs excuse

He's played not terribly in maybe 5 games his career. Even if we give him a mulligan for the first six this year what's the excuse for the balance of 25 games or so?

If you find yourself playing Excuse Bingo to defend your FQB, you don't have a FQB.

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Go look at how other QB's did against this D. I know Sam has played badly for the most part but if he plays well he deserves credit. 

I get it dude, nobody wanted Sam to be the guy more than me. I honestly thought when we drafted him he was the one, could not believe our luck we got him. 

But for the handful of games he’s looked competent there are far more where he’s looked like a disaster. This is year 3 for him where you should see something resembling a franchise QB and it’s just not there. Sure, the organisation and coaching should shoulder some of the blame here (and rightly so), but at the end of the day Sam is ultimately responsible for what he does on the field.

8 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

I get it dude, nobody wanted Sam to be the guy more than me. I honestly thought when we drafted him he was the one, could not believe our luck we got him. 

But for the handful of games he’s looked competent there are far more where he’s looked like a disaster. This is year 3 for him where you should see something resembling a franchise QB and it’s just not there. Sure, the organisation and coaching should shoulder some of the blame here (and rightly so), but at the end of the day Sam is ultimately responsible for what he does on the field.

Oh please. Yeah, his 3 years in the league were exactly like every other successful QB that ever stepped on the field. I mean I remember when Roger's, Brees, Brady, Wilson and some others during the first 3 seasons how they  missed 7 games of the second because they contracted Mono and played the third during a pandemic with no camp and no preseason and for all but 3 games has Hogan and Barrios as their #1 and #2 Wr's and 5 OL who probably didn't even know each others name. 

I just want to see one year where he has a normal season aside from his rookie one unless we draft Lawrence. And if he has a good game to me that is encouraging because while you think I am discounting all his bad performances and yeah, there are a lot of them, I don't discount what we asked this kid to overcome. 

5 hours ago, genot said:

Think about it. Mims is a rookie, playing without the benefit of a training camp. Perriman is jag, who busted with the Ravens, and Gase never likes to use his tight ends as receivers. It was true in Miami too. Whats my point. Darnold still is hamstrung by lack of talent and bad coaching. He hasn't regressed. He's been hamstrung. He hasn't progressed either. That's very difficult with what he' s had around him. Until we fix the o-  line and replace Perrimann with a real good, consistent receiver, Darnold like most QB's will have a problem putting up big numbers

Lowering the bar. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

He's played not terribly in maybe 5 games his career. Even if we give him a mulligan for the first six this year what's the excuse for the balance of 25 games or so?

If you find yourself playing Excuse Bingo to defend your FQB, you don't have a FQB.

Look I'll let you wallow in the trendy Sam Darnold hate.  Last season he had 19tds to 12 ints and a 62% completion percentage.  This year Gase was HORRIBLE, the roster was putrid, he lost his best and favorite WR.  

So please keep calling me an apologist for wanting to see Sam with an actual NFL Head Coach and NFL-caliber WRs and OL for once.  I'll let you make more excuses for Belichick ok

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nick Blitz said:

You guys were sh-tting on QW last year for not looking like Lawrence Taylor from day 1.  Well now he looks like Lawrence Taylor and suddenly the hatred and venom is now going to Sam.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Fools gold, this team and coaching staff are awful. Think about the previous 3 months and how many games were over before they even barely began. ( 9ers, bills twice, chiefs, colts, dolphins we couldn’t even score 1 touchdown) And the 3 games we absolutely blew, the Broncos, patriots, raiders. We have some players we can start to build around:Becton, Q, Maye if brought back, Mims. We need to hit on our 2 first rounders, but more importantly we need a real head coach. As far as this team goes, they deserve their 1-13 record. 

You are right, but also we are paying JD to hit on some mid rounders and not just the high picks. If he hit on CB Hall and the Punter this year, hopefully next draft he hits maybe a few mid rounder like 4th, 5th round, etc. for Oline, TE, RB, etc. or once of the defenders at LB or CB. since those positions are so expensive with FA.

1 hour ago, Nick Blitz said:

So if Sam didn't look good when his receivers we're you and me, it would still be Sam to shoulder the blame.