Fields is an elite prospect too

3 hours ago, Jet Life said:

Fields is way more talented than Darnold. Hopefully the right coach can unlock his next level talent. How many bad years of Darnold do people need to see? I’d love Matt Campbell and Fields 

Keep f*cking dreaming.  The Matt Campbell dream died in conjunction with the Trevor Lawrence dream yesterday.

I tried to ignore his 2020 because of the whole Covid thing. 

And I tried to do something stupid like watching his 2019 highlights in order to convince myself that he'd become an A++ pick @ #2 overall. 

But then I watched a QB playing against nothing but awful defenses and playing pitch and catch with WIDE OPEN receivers due to cupcake defenses. 

No thnx. 

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Yup.  His argument to the NCAA to grant his immediate eligibility to play at Ohio State was that he was subject to racially insensitive behavior at Georgia.  He was transferring to escape the hostile environment. 

An environment that was so hostile that his sister is still at UGA as a scholarship softball player. 

I genuinely didn’t know this.

I never want to be “that guy”, but that’s a reeeeeeally bad look.

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He’s a really smart kid and I think someone who can process the game and understand it quickly has potential to be coached up at the next level. I have no other opinion but smart is good. 

Nothing says “I can process the game” like locking on to your first read and holding the ball extremely long.

• Upvote 3

https://www.theringer.com/2020/12/21/22194121/trent-dilfer-on-the-truth-about-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-plus-losing-in-life-cfb-nfl-awards

Talks Fields at 50:42

Lawrence at 41:00

The OP is actually, correct. As Dilfer states, there is a difference between watching tv, vs an evaluator. An evaluator looks at the game within the game, not the box-score.

An evaluator looks at his mechanics; tv people looks only at completions.

An evaluator looks at the throws, tv people looks only at the compleietions

An evaluator looks at his progressions/reads, tv people look only at the completions.

From what Trent was saying, Fields may actually be a more NFL ready QB, because he takes on so much at OSU, while Lawrence does not wholly see the field. How many QBs could win vs a top 14 squad with over 20 players missing? None imo.

Oh, and Hello!!!!

Like everyone, I am here for the win that seems like a lost to most.

Fields is actually elite. Even that Indiana game, he had a similar passer rating to guys he is compared to that week. Like Trent, when I watch him, he does things people says he can't do. I am getting Watson vibes from him, but he seems more accurate.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And I tried to do something stupid like watching his 2019 highlights in order to convince myself that he'd become an A++ pick @ #2 overall. 

But then I watched a QB playing against nothing but awful defenses and playing pitch and catch against WIDE OPEN receivers due to cupcake defenses. 

No thnx. 

That's basically true of almost every QB of a highly ranked team. The talent gap in college football is ridiculous.  Most QBs at schools like Alabama, Clemson, OSU etc are protected by lineman who are larger and faster and stronger than the DL and throw to receivers who are faster and more athletic than the DBs.  That is why this is hard to project.  How many tight windows do these QBs really throw to?  

17 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That's basically true of almost every QB of a highly ranked team. The talent gap in college football is ridiculous.  Most QBs at schools like Alabama, Clemson, OSU etc are protected by lineman who are larger and faster and stronger than the DL and throw to receivers who are faster and more athletic than the DBs.  That is why this is hard to project.  How many tight windows do these QBs really throw to?  

Yeah but when you look at his passing numbers against the last 3 good defenses he's faced in Clemson/Indiana/Northwestern; it's alarming. 

60/103 (58.2%), 734 passing yards (244 passing yards per game), 3 TDs/7 INTs. 

That's a red flag for me. He's able to dominate the Rutgers/Florida Atlantic's of the world etc but the moment he's had to play a decent defense he's looked really bad (as a passer). 

(As a starter) those 3 games were his worst QB Ratings ever (because he was no longer playing ?'s)...

He's the definition of ESPN overrated. 

If Jax fails to win another game I'm hoping Trevor looks like dog crap and has a 5 INT game vs Ohio State while Fields throws 10 TDs vs Clemson before destroying Alabama with another 10 TDs etc and the Jaguars fall for the hype and do something stupid and draft him #1 overall...

22 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yeah but when you look at his passing numbers against the last 3 good defenses he's faced in Clemson/Indiana/Northwestern; it's alarming. 

60/103 (58.2%), 734 passing yards (244 passing yards per game), 3 TDs/7 INTs. 

That's a red flag for me. He's able to dominate the Rutgers/Florida Atlantic's of the world etc but the moment he's had to play a decent defense he's looked really bad (as a passer). 

(As a starter) those 3 games were his worst QB Ratings ever (because he was no longer playing ?'s)...

He's the definition of ESPN overrated. 

If Jax fails to win another game I'm hoping Trevor looks like dog crap and has a 5 INT game vs Ohio State while Fields throws 10 TDs vs Clemson before destroying Alabama with another 10 TDs etc and the Jaguars fall for the hype and do something stupid and draft him #1 overall...

He carved up Wisconsin, Penn St, and Michigan last year which had good defenses. 

Indiana and Northwestern had good game plans and Day was slow to adjust. I don’t blame Fields for either game. 

1 minute ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

OSU QBs in the NFL are just as bad, if not worse than USC QBs in the NFL historically. Fields is a system QB that works well in the B1G. In the NFL he'll be a disaster.

So because Dwayne Haskins and Art Schlichter didn’t pan out Justin Fields will be a bust? 

What Texas Tech QB did well in the NFL before Mahomes? What about Clemson QB before Watson?

Under Jim Tressel OSU was never an attractive destination for a QB recruit with pro aspirations given his style of play (ball control/defense). Meyer and Day have opened things up and now OSU is getting elite QB talent to Columbus. 

16 hours ago, JiF said:

#1 and #2 prospects in the country coming out of High School.  Both are total studs.  Fields is the highest rated player to ever take the field for OSU. He also had the brains to go to Harvard.  You could do worse than Justin Fields. 

That said, trade back, sign Winston, score 40 a game.

Sign Winston. I like it. Give Winston a bottomless Red Lobster gift card and get the best QB coach you can find not named Gase. Draft Sewell. Dude is ‘generational’ - better rated than Becton-and draft Najee Harris.  Then in round 3 draft Fele that 400 pound monster out of Minnesota.  If we can run at will and turn Winston into a game manager we could have something. 

5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Sign Winston. I like it. Give Winston a bottomless Red Lobster gift card and get the best QB coach you can find not named Gase. Draft Sewell. Dude is ‘generational’ - better rated than Becton-and draft Najee Harris.  Then in round 3 draft Fele that 400 pound monster out of Minnesota.  If we can run at will and turn Winston into a game manager we could have something. 

Winston can't manage games. He tossed 30 INTs man I'm an FSU fan and he's a turnover prone freak of nature INT machine. 

Sean Payton sees it in practice everyday too which is why he wasn't allowed to sniff the field while Brees was injured. 

Even worse than his INTs is his leadership ability. He has none. 

He wasn't a rookie last year either. He was a 5th year player making rookie mistakes with 30 INTs. He'll never become a game manager but he will INT you out of games. 

For as much crap as I talk about Sam Darnold I wouldn't trade Sam for a 6th year Winston for the life of me...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

OSU QBs in the NFL are just as bad, if not worse than USC QBs in the NFL historically. Fields is a system QB that works well in the B1G. In the NFL he'll be a disaster.

And it’s not just the Ohio St link — Jones, Barrett, Haskins and Fields all played in the same system with basically the same coaching staffs

Fields over Sewell is the next great Jet disaster

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Winston can't manage games. He tossed 30 INTs man I'm an FSU fan and he's a turnover prone freak of nature INT machine. 

Sean Payton sees it in practice everyday too which is why he wasn't allowed to sniff the field while Brees was injured. 

He wasn't a rookie last year either. He was a 5th year player making rookie mistakes with 30 INTs. He'll never become a game manager but he will INT you out of games. 

For as much crap as I talk about Sam Darnold I wouldn't trade Sam for a 6th year Winston for the life of me...

He also threw for 33 tds and 5,000 yards with Mike Evans his best receiver missing 40% of the season 

• Upvote 1

At least half of the rookie QB development challenge is the coaching and the players around him.

The Fields discussion is very similar to the Mahomes, Watson, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson discussions.  

Those QBs were not picked top 5, because the bad teams were not going to pick them, and could not see how to develop them.  

How does Justin Fields compare to them?  We will see more of this as the Combine, etc. happens.  This will be particularly challenging during COVID.  

But even if Darnold signs a Bortles extension (Blake Bortles is a pretty close comparison to Darnold), the cost of Darnold over the next 4 seasons would be over $85mm.  Fields closer to $25mm.  My guess is that Fields could even test better cognitively.  

It is not even close to me.  Draft Fields, and even keep Darnold as a backup or starter next year, until someone is ready to give us at least a 2nd.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Winston is trash. That is all.

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

At least half of the rookie QB development challenge is the coaching and the players around him.

The Fields discussion is very similar to the Mahomes, Watson, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson discussions.  

Those QBs were not picked top 5, because the bad teams were not going to pick them, and could not see how to develop them.  

How does Justin Fields compare to them?  We will see more of this as the Combine, etc. happens.  This will be particularly challenging during COVID.  

But even if Darnold signs a Bortles extension (Blake Bortles is a pretty close comparison to Darnold), the cost of Darnold over the next 4 seasons would be over $85mm.  Fields closer to $25mm.  My guess is that Fields could even test better cognitively.  

It is not even close to me.  Draft Fields, and even keep Darnold as a backup or starter next year, until someone is ready to give us at least a 2nd.  

You just made an argument why we shouldn't draft a raw prospect like Fields before advocate for drafting him.

Fields has not demonstrated enough in college to justify picking him 2nd. That doesn't mean he can't or won't be a good pro QB - he needs to be put in a good situation (like every other young QB). The Jets are not that situation. 

Mahomes was the final piece of the puzzle in KC, not the foundation. Let's build a foundation then get our QB

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Nothing says “I can process the game” like locking on to your first read and holding the ball extremely long.

My point was if the kid is smart he has the potential to learn the game at the next level. I don’t watch a ton of college football but I was under the impression most college offense are not as complex as NFL offenses. So it’s possible the kid hasn’t really been taught to do it but if he is bright he has the potential to improve. 

I heard Fields reached out to Tebow to get help in getting rid of the hitch he has in his throwing motion. 

This draft was about Lawrence. Since the Jets are unlikely to get him, the best course to take is to draft the best players you can around Darnold while he is under contract, and if he continues to fail like so many of you hope, you will still have what you need in place for a young QB to flourish, a solid core. That this is lost on so many is beyond frustrating. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But then I watched a QB playing against nothing but awful defenses and playing pitch and catch with WIDE OPEN receivers due to cupcake defenses. 

No thnx. 

How can you say this and then watch Lawrence and Clemson against the ACC and claim he is the Golden One. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

This same old tired BS argument needs to be taken to the woodshed and chopped to pieces for all eternity. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If Fields really wants to get his draft stock, he has the perfect opportunity on a big stage to do so.

I’m not even saying OSU has to beat Clemson (they wont). But he sure can solidify his spot at the probable #2.

I’d rather Zach Wilson over Fields.

Why should one game matter . If that's the case last years championship game where Lawrence sh*t the bed against LSU should mean Lawrence should not be #1 . This is all ridiculous hyperbole by fans who have no clue what the NFL scouts and draft assessors really look at and for in a QB. 

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

He was so good last year

hoping it’s this covid year that has him looking this way

have to go qb with the 2 pick and he’s the only option

His team has played w/o up to 21 players due to covid, they haven't played back to back weeks since 2 months ago and people are bashing him for 1 bad game and 1 decent game against two powerhouse defensive teams . Yet the same people are gushing wildly over Trevor who got dismantled in last year's championship game by a powerhouse LSU defense. 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This doesn't really make any sense. If he's awesome and the guy you need, why wouldn't you just take him at 2 and call it a day? Same for Fields?

The fact that neither guy is being talked about as 1B or a shoe-in at 2 kinda sucks. I can't believe they won that ******* game yesterday. I mean I can but this draft is gonna suck.

I agree.   The media has been focusing on Sunshine, and Fields.  BIG NAMES most people know.  In all honesty IMO, Wilson has played a lot better than Fields this season.  BYU plays UCF tonight I think.  Really interested to see what Wilson does there.

But I agree, the win really sucked.   To quote Nick Mangold

Yah?  Print the Victory Monday Shirts"

14 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

I heard Fields reached out to Tebow to get help in getting rid of the hitch he has in his throwing motion. 

This draft was about Lawrence. Since the Jets are unlikely to get him, the best course to take is to draft the best players you can around Darnold while he is under contract, and if he continues to fail like so many of you hope, you will still have what you need in place for a young QB to flourish, a solid core. That this is lost on so many is beyond frustrating. 

The issue is, you would have to think with all the picks and cap space available the Jets at minimum will sniff .500 next season. What that means is in 2022 your picking mid pack and would need to throw in assets (picks/players) to get a top rated QB. Now is the time to take a chance with a Fields or Wilson and them let Sam/#2 pick and Morgan battle it out in off season/TC . If one clearly rises to the top you have the luxury of trading one of the others to a QB needy team (Injuries) .

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I agree.   The media has been focusing on Sunshine, and Fields.  BIG NAMES most people know.  In all honesty IMO, Wilson has played a lot better than Fields this season.  BYU plays UCF tonight I think.  Really interested to see what Wilson does there.

But I agree, the win really sucked.   To quote Nick Mangold

Yah?  Print the Victory Monday Shirts"

The other wild card in all of this is we have no idea how James Morgan falls into the equation. Everyone assumes because he saw no action he's Hackenburg II. Maybe JD feels that he can work with one of Sam/Morgan or alternatively as I said in a previous post draft a QB at 2 , let all 3 battle it out and then you can trade one of them to a QB desperate team due to injuries. 

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The issue is, you would have to think with all the picks and cap space available the Jets at minimum will sniff .500 next season. What that means is in 2022 your picking mid pack and would need to throw in assets (picks/players) to get a top rated QB. Now is the time to take a chance with a Fields or Wilson and them let Sam/#2 pick and Morgan battle it out in off season/TC . If one clearly rises to the top you have the luxury of trading one of the others to a QB needy team (Injuries) .

Interesting that a lot of fans are advocating for the Jets to do the same thing  they ridiculed gettleman for three years ago. 

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I genuinely didn’t know this.

I never want to be “that guy”, but that’s a reeeeeeally bad look.

The issue to me is more that the NCAA has forced these kids to come up with reasons so as not to sit out a year.  It seems that they have gotten a lot more liberal in recent years, but if a school is not a fit for a kid, he should be able to transfer.  

I remember the year that Fields transferred out of Gerogia, a tight end for the Dawgs, Luke Ford, also wanted to transfer.  He was from Illinois and wanted to transfer to Univ of IL to be closer to a sick family member.  NCAA denied his waiver and forced him to sit out a year. 

They have gotten more accomodating of transfers in the last year or two, but rules still appear to be arbitrary.  As to Fields, I have no way of knowing if he was or was not the target of rascism.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

lol. No. They didn't ??

I am really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt this go round, but posts like this make it hard.  Wisconsin and Penn State both had very good defenses last year.  Top 10 in the country.  Michigan was top 25.  

• Upvote 2

I don’t pretend I’m a QB guru, but 

Sam Darnold QB rating: 

Last 67.3 . 2nd worse is 72.8

Sam Darnold total QBR:

Last: 36.6 . 2nd worse is 43.6

Not only is Darnold statistically the worst QB in football, he has a few points of separation between him and the next worst guy. Will taking an elite RT at 2 and getting a new coach fix this? Or will we be back looking for a QB in a worse 2022 class next year?

• Upvote 2