What's left to hang our hats on?

Just thinking about the current state of the franchise, what is bringing us hope for the future?

We were pinning it all on Trevor, now he's gone.

We still have the Johnson's who probably will hire another terrible head coach and force him on Joe D.

We still have a huge ? at the most important position.

The roster still has some huge holes at WR, RB, Pass rusher, and Oline (and possible CB still).

All I can think of to pin hopes on is JD seemingly has some ability to run a decent draft. Can 1 man counter all these negative forces and lift this franchise?

57 minutes ago, jamesr said:

There's a few things ... not great things, but I was never on the camp that thought Lawrence = big turnaround / long term success.

Look at the current MVP contenders ... Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes ... none were drafted first overall, but were drafted by strong teams and were able to turn that strength into winning / contending over many years.

Look at the previous #1 / high picks (minus the "wet behind the ears" ones who have yet to show what they are / aren't). Goff - you saw the game yesterday; Wentz - on his way out in Philly. Trubisky - unlikely to stay in Chicago. Watson - great player on an abysmal team; no way is he sniffing a championship for a long time. (I actually feel sorry for him - apart from the $$$ he's getting ;-) ). Winston, Mariota, Bortles ... 

If we don't go QB this year, we HAVE to build that strong core to then add a QB into at a later point. Why can't we be the team that finds "that guy" at #6, or #10, or in the third round ... (I know, "because Jets" - but other than that, why not?).

cuz, Jetz.

Arguably the second most important position in football is locked down for the long term. Becton is a beast.

Quinnen Williams has solidified the trenches on the other side.

Mims is a legit starting outside WR.

Still questions at CB, but Austin and Hall offer hope.

The GM is early into a six-year contract, and his first draft looks strong.

Not a ton, but at least those are a few positives.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, oatmeal said:

Well here’s how I see it if we end up at 2.

-take your #2 (Justin Fields imo)

- let him sit a year (yes god forbid sit a out a year)

-sign a vet 

We do this, trade Sam and continue to build, I don’t see why we can’t be a good team in 2 years ?‍♂️

Reaching for qb at 2 so much more risky than drafting Sewell and building 

Fields is like a third rounder that's how poorly he played vs nw and Indiana 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Reaching for qb at 2 so much more risky than drafting Sewell and building 

Fields is like a third rounder that's how poorly he played vs nw and Indiana 

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

please stop highlighting one or 2 bad games, many Albert Einstein’s said the same exact things about Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Deshan Watson.

I’m tired of the mediocre QBs, darnold has been a bottom quarterback for 3 years and I don’t want some washed up vet. 

I rather kick the tiers at 2, IT ISNT LIKE WE LOST OUR CAP ROOM AND OTHER DRAFT PICKS WITH THIS WIN. We can stop build a winner with the same principles we wanted to use with Trevor. 

only difference is maybe Trevor was ready to start day one, we could still sign a vet and have our rookie sit out a year. All hope isn’t lost 

18 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Well here’s how I see it if we end up at 2.

-take your #2 QB (Justin Fields imo)

- let him sit a year (yes god forbid sit a out a year)

-sign a vet 

We do this, trade Sam and continue to build, I don’t see why we can’t be a good team in 2 years ?‍♂️

I'd rather do it the other way around ... use the upcoming draft to build strength and depth, and add the QB later once we have a solid foundation.

None of the top QBs / MVP candidates arrived in situations where he was expected to turn around a bunch of crap. Build, build, build, then add the QB when the time is right.

• Upvote 1

The whole world does not hinge on one top rated college QB The top rated guy ends up being the best guy maybe 50% of the time.  If the Jets were hopeless with out lawrence they are hopeless with him.

The Jets have to hit on the coaching hire.

Douglas has to have a great draft.

Things will be much better.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I'd rather do it the other way around ... use the upcoming draft to build strength and depth, and add the QB later once we have a solid foundation.

None of the top QBs / MVP candidates arrived in situations where he was expected to turn around a bunch of crap. Build, build, build, then add the QB when the time is right.

This. I completely agree with this.

Lawrence might be the exception, but in general, this is what I would rather the Jets did. Draft a QB who is coming into a good situation.

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Just thinking about the current state of the franchise, what is bringing us hope for the future?

We still have the Johnson's who probably will hire another terrible head coach and force him on Joe D.

The roster still has some huge holes at WR, RB, Pass rusher, and Oline (and possible CB still).

All I can think of to pin hopes on is JD seemingly has some ability to run a decent draft. Can 1 man counter all these negative forces and lift this franchise?

A coaching staff that knows what they are doing can do wonders.

Hang your hope on that.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The whole world does not hinge on one top rated college QB The top rated guy ends up being the best guy maybe 50% of the time.  If the Jets were hopeless with out lawrence they are hopeless with him.

The Jets have to hit on the coaching hire.

Douglas has to have a great draft  * and some good free agent signingS * .

Things will be much better.

* fixed *   ^^

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Nothing

We are 1-13, have the longest playoff drought in football in about two minutes when the Browns clinch, and we just lost out on a fantastic QB prospect out of our own negligence

I'm tempted to say this is rock bottom, but knowing the Jets, that ain't true

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

SB 3

Literally the only thing that makes this Organization worth mentioning. 

Everything else is garbage. Worthless trash just to balance the number of teams in the league. 

In a merit based system, the Jets would be defended and defunct, like the Canton Bulldogs or Hartford Whalers.

2 hours ago, jbt said:

Woody moves the Jets to London because he loved it there the last 4 years. 

This is a crazy conspiracy theory even by my standards but I keep wondering how Trevor Lawrence is going to like playing in London

And not like the Jets were going to move... But if they were, it would be easier to sell it if they had TL 

Ie It's the TL sweepstakes but what if it's really the London sweepstakes too 

23 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Unfortunately nothing. The best thing to do as a Jets fan right now is to just become a lot less invested because these are some dark years ahead.

I vehemently disagree with this statement. 

The NY Jets are currently 1-13 there is nowhere to go but up. 

This roster can be drastically improved this off season through free agency and the draft. 

The right HC also matters. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is a crazy conspiracy theory even by my standards but I keep wondering how Trevor Lawrence is going to like playing in London

And not like the Jets were going to move... But if they were, it would be easier to sell it if they had TL 

Ie It's the TL sweepstakes but what if it's really the London sweepstakes too 

Woody's reaction to Chris clapping after yesterday's big win

Margaret Whitton Rachel Phelps Major League Sit down | High Quality Gifs

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I vehemently disagree with this statement. 

The NY Jets are currently 1-13 there is nowhere to go but up. 

This roster can be drastically improved this off season through free agency and the draft. 

The right HC also matters. 

I remember this one. "What did one parachuter say to the other when his parachute failed to open?"

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Unfortunately nothing. The best thing to do as a Jets fan right now is to just become a lot less invested because these are some dark years ahead.

I hope some of you guys are just joking. Losing Trevor would suck, we're not there yet but pretty close if come Sunday the Bears beat the Jags. But chins up boys, the Bengals need Sewell worse than we need Trevor because they have their young QB & he'll be coming back with a surgically repaired knee & immediate need for protection at the most important position & lo & behold, we're sitting in that position & already have our LT. 

Oh, did I tell that JD leaked through the media his phone has been ringing off the hook by teams who would also like to add the best LT prospect coming out in years? When it comes to drafts you have QBs & then more recently, LTs & great edge rushers considered worthy of these lofty picks. 

All is not lost at #2. We could end up with Wilson, or Fields & a bunch more picks. We need players. And the more picks we obtain in this draft in the top 50 picks, the better we'll be for it next year!

• Upvote 1