All the Jets mouthpieces are now advocating to not draft a QB stick with Darnold

Jetsbb

Sam Darnold, objectively by statistical measures, is the worst starting QB over the last 3 years by a mile. Just this year he is 30 out of 32 in espn QBR and is ranked 49th out of 50 eligible QB's by PFF. That is obviously a horrendous resume. Despite this, the media personalities who would have some idea of where Douglas will lean have come out strongly in support of rejecting drafting a QB and doing the same exact mistake that Tannebaum did with Mark Sanchez that got him fired.

They could theoretically surround Sam with a great supporting cast.

sign Thuney

sign Arob/JuJu/Godwin

Draft Sewell, Harris/Etienne, another WR

2021 offense could look like 

OL: Becton, Thuney, McGovern, Sewell

WRs: ARob/Crowder/Mims/Rookie 

RB: Etienne/Harris

If he couldn’t succeed with this supporting cast it’s never gonna work for him 

• Upvote 3

Sam is like all other QB’s, he needs support and proper coaching. If management/future coach believe in him, then you flip the pick, draft and sign offensive talent and take it from there. He needs an offensive coach who plans around Sams strengths and does not simply plug him into a system. Honestly, Harbaugh would be great: He’s an offensive coach, he’s Tough, gets results and is a true leader! Unlike the Loser who is currently the HC.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

That is the no brainer approach

plan a - draft Lawrence 

plan b - build a team and give Darnold a shot with real coaching and help around him, If he falls on his face you go for a QB in 2022

the ONLY reason to not do this is if you believe that a 2021 QB is just too good to pass up 

• Upvote 3

I think it's a reasonable notion, but not necessarily from the standpoint of trying to turn Darnold around.

Unless you are certain Fields or Wilson is "the guy" I can understand the thought process of wanting to build up the rest of the roster first before diving into the QB pool again for a few reasons.

First and foremost, does it make sense to start over that rookie QB contract when the rest of the roster isn't likely quite ready to competet?  I think arguments can be made both ways.

Second, and I know this is a delicate subject, but do you want to risk handcuffing a QBs development by throwing them in to a bottom feeding roster?  I know viewpoints differ on this greatly, but I think most would agree that having a good roster at least elevates the floor of any QB.  So what is the correct roster build?  Get the QB first and figure out the rest later?  Or get a solid foundation first so that most any QB can at least be functional?  I'm not sure which route I think is best.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Sam is like all other QB’s, he needs support and proper coaching. If management/future coach believe in him, then you flip the pick, draft and sign offensive talent and take it from there. He needs an offensive coach who plans around Sams strengths and does not simply plug him into a system. Honestly, Harbaugh would be great: He’s an offensive coach, he’s Tough, gets results and is a true leader! Unlike the Loser who is currently the HC.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Harbaugh is not coming here to try to make Darnold  merely servicable. Same goes for Fields. Harbaugh is gonna have options, especially Detroit (and who ever thought Detroit would be a better option?). Lawrence would be a total game changer, a kid serious coaches would want to work with. 

The "Strengths" you speak of; specifically, they are....? 

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think it's a reasonable notion, but not necessarily from the standpoint of trying to turn Darnold around.

Unless you are certain Fields or Wilson is "the guy" I can understand the thought process of wanting to build up the rest of the roster first before diving into the QB pool again for a few reasons.

First and foremost, does it make sense to start over that rookie QB contract when the rest of the roster isn't likely quite ready to repeat?  I think arguments can be made both ways.

Second, and I know this is a delicate subject, but do you want to risk handcuffing a QBs development by throwing them in to a bottom feeding roster?  I know viewpoints differ on this greatly, but I think most would agree that having a good roster at least elevates the floor 9f any QB.  So what is the correct roster build?  Get the QB first and figure out the rest later?  Or get a solid foundation first so that most any QB can at least be functional?  I'm not sure which route I think is best.

Let’s say the jets sign schuster.  The wrs can be good.  They can also bolster the OL which isn’t playing poorly. Get rid of gore and use the faster rbs who are clearly more effective in the passing game.  Douglas has the cap space and draft collateral to turn things around in a 2 year window.

I’m torn between Zach Wilson at 2 or trading down, but leaning toward trading down for a few reasons:

• We can get a haul for the #2 pick.
  • The After-Gase Effect is a real thing. Look at how good Ryan Tannehill has been since he got away from Gase. He’s done this with 2 different OC’s mind you. He hasn’t just been okay either, he’s been a top QB in the league, vastly improved.
  • If Sam still can’t cut it next year, we have the extra picks with the proposed trade down to draft someone else in 2022. 
  • If Joe D and his crew aren’t crazy about Fields or Wilson, then you definitely trade down. You do not draft a QB that high unless you think he’s definitely the man. 

Ultimately, a lot of this is going to depend on the coach we hire obviously...which is now a new fear as we went from the best coaching spot to close to the worst. I’d say Detroit is the worst of the openings thus far, followed by Atlanta, then us. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I would have been all over that before this season. He has just been really bad. 

My biggest fear is his upside is closer to a game manager than a top 5 QB.  I think he can still be really good, but this year is hard to shake off.

That said if they get a coach that says he can win with him, trading from 2 to 5 or 6 gets them even more draft capital.

I want Lawrence but we cant ignore in Gase 2 years, play calling horrific BUT Jets also had 32nd ranked in 'defense getting to QB speed'. Sam hasnt had time to even look at his primary. Look at Josh Allen when Bills got 5 free agent OffLinemen in one cycle. He immediately became very good. He has time to view field and even see a hole where he can scramble.

In NFL it is all about OL. SuoerBowls won by medicore QBs with Good OLs but no SB won by team with bottom 5 OL.

We have no choice now  but to see what Sam can do with good OL in front of him (I assume Douglas gets 4-6 OL with draft and free agency) and NFL level big boy play calling. Many might be surprised what a QB can do when they have tome to make the progression reads and even scramble..

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Sam is not a good qb and it’s painfully obvious he’s shown no mental growth and his mechanics are more ****ed than my parents marriage. He’s a trashcan if you painted a yellow W on his jersey he could pass for a Waste Management bin. People praising him for his big game yesterday he threw for 200 yards and a TD.... all we heard all off season was how him and Jordan Palmer fixed everything and he worked hard blah blah blah he’s trash accept it.  I have no idea what we’re gonna do. Fields is sliding down the boards and people are on crack if they think Zach Wilson from ******* BYU is gonna come in here and save the day. Stick with Sam let him lead us to another miserable season next year and hope that a quality QB emerges in the 2021 college season. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

They could theoretically surround Sam with a great supporting cast.

sign Thuney

sign Arob/JuJu/Godwin

Draft Sewell, Harris/Etienne, another WR

2021 offense could look like 

OL: Becton, Thuney, McGovern, Sewell

WRs: ARob/Crowder/Mims/Rookie 

RB: Etienne/Harris

If he couldn’t succeed with this supporting cast it’s never gonna work for him 

I like this option because at least if sam sucks again, we draft a qb in the draft after and he comes into a good spot 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He’s not bridgewater or Alex smith.  

Bridgewater was a Jet - when we traded him it was clear to the organization, fanbase, and media Darnold was the better qb. 

Now, after some mono & a pandemic & the worst surrounding cast the game can offer we wish we had a Bridgewater? I don't think so. 

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If Alex smith were the qb all year the jets would have 4-5 wins.  Darnold and gase are the 2 biggest problems with this team.

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He’s not a game manager because he’s not an inherently accurate passer.  He’s not bridgewater or Alex smith.  He has a big play reckless mentality like farve but can’t convert the deep balls to make it worthwhile.  He’s a talented but very flawed prospect who isn’t accurate and can’t read defenses well.  Douglas will praise him to the heavens and then trade him like he did to Adams.

This is woefully wrong.

He's actually a very accurate passer.  Well, at least he used to be. 

What happened to him this year is a disaster-I've never seen a player regress quite this much in one season.  And he absolutely seems to fall apart when he presses..he never grew out of that.  But if he can find some calm in the pocket (which he showed last night) he might be able to become a serviceable starter.  More than a game manager but less than a game changer.

It really doesn't matter though.

• Thumb Down 2

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Let’s say the jets sign schuster.  The wrs can be good.  They can also bolster the OL which isn’t playing poorly. Get rid of gore and use the faster rbs who are clearly more effective in the passing game.  Douglas has the cap space and draft collateral to turn things around in a 2 year window.

That's fair.  Quite honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to this question does indeed depend on how well the Jets can improve the roster, specifically on offense, prior to the draft.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

We can get a haul for the #2 pick.

The Jets have trotted out the worst starting QB, statistically, in the NFL the past 3 years.  If they're passing on taking a QB at 2, why would someone trade a "haul" to get in position to take a guy that isn't a slam dunk over the worst starting QB in the NFL the past 3 years?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1