All the Jets mouthpieces are now advocating to not draft a QB stick with Darnold

Jetsbb

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They're all right.

I can't say it enough - New isn't better.

Fields is NOT an NFL QB.  

Don't waste 4 more years and #2 overall on what's almost certain to be a bust.

Take 3 offensive players in the top 33 (including #2 overall) sign the best playmakers you can find in FA - go with Sam for the year and go after your QB next year when your offense is stacked.

But truth be told, it doesn't matter.  You're really just spinning your wheels at this point.

If Fields is not an NFL QB than neither is Lawrence. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I know a lot of people don't want to hear it today, but this may be a blessing in disguise.

Let Douglas build the team first. Stack the roster with talent and address the QB position later if you have to.

First priority is getting a good HC and staff.

Second priority is building the rest of the OL.

You do those two steps right we will be in good shape going forward.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Sam Darnold, objectively by statistical measures, is the worst starting QB over the last 3 years by a mile. Just this year he is 30 out of 32 in espn QBR and is ranked 49th out of 50 eligible QB's by PFF. That is obviously a horrendous resume. Despite this, the media personalities who would have some idea of where Douglas will lean have come out strongly in support of rejecting drafting a QB and doing the same exact mistake that Tannebaum did with Mark Sanchez that got him fired.

Statistics are not objective and Sam's resume is not obviously horrendous.  Those are your opinions.  While every QB's stats are measured the same way, none of them are under the same conditions and sample size matters.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

Just now, TeddEY said:

My new hope is that Stafford is cut.

I never understood how nfl teams preach competition at every spot and then coronate the qb1 for years at a time 

Let them compete and if Sam can't win out vs Morgan and a vet, than he doesn't deserve to start 

This type of thing wouldn't fly at defensive end or whatever. You produce or you get benched. The jets let qb 1 be too comfortable for way too long. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

That's fair.  Quite honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to this question does indeed depend on how well the Jets can improve the roster, specifically on offense, prior to the draft.

I really think this was the douglas plan all along, to wait for the darnold/gase experiment to fail to justify to the johnsons to get rid of them both and let douglas build it the way he always wanted to

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

If Fields is not an NFL QB than neither is Lawrence. 

Saying fields is not a nfl qb is exaggeration 

But he looked so bad vs northwestern. Like 5 seconds to make a terrible decision 

It actually got to the point where Ohio state wouldn't throw a pass. Because fields was throwing ints like crazy 

It's easy to see how this dude busts. Great athlete but I don't know what he's looking at reading defenses 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I really think this was the douglas plan all along, to wait for the darnold/gase experiment to fail to justify to the johnsons to get rid of them both and let douglas build it the way he always wanted to

Yea, wasting 3 years of your 6 year contract seems like a solid plan. If he believed Gase / Darnold had to go then that should have happened already. If he's playing some sort of Game of Thrones sh*t secretly waiting for them to fail then he's worse than Mac and needs to be booted immediately. 

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

Fact Check: They won 7 last year with Darnold (missing games) and Gase as coach. 

And?

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

From who? 

Anyone looking for a QB who likes Fields or Wilson. If I had to guess:

• Lions
  • Panthers
  • Washington Football Team
  • Cowboys
  • Falcons
  • 49ers
  • Saints will be quite the stretch to trade up from where they’ll be drafting
  • Bears
  • Vikings
  • Colts
  • Raiders

All it takes is one team to like either prospect and jump up ahead of the line. We might even be able to trade down twice. I say stock those picks, use the 2022 excess to replace Sam then if he still sucks

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The Jets have trotted out the worst starting QB, statistically, in the NFL the past 3 years.  If they're passing on taking a QB at 2, why would someone trade a "haul" to get in position to take a guy that isn't a slam dunk over the worst starting QB in the NFL the past 3 years?

Because teams are QB crazy and are always looking to find their guy.

All it takes is one GM or HC to love Fields or Wilson (and trust me there will be some) and they will pull the trigger.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Its a cute thought but how do all these "experts" explain the awful
"All 22" tape Darnold has generated this year?  He's missed wide
open receivers and layup TD's multiple times this year

Now do Tannehill's tape from his last year in Miami.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

Commence the tank for Archie Jr.!

Arch Manning: Peyton and Eli's nephew could be best QB of the family -  Sports Illustrated

He will definitely pull a MANNING and either go back to school to avoid the Jets like the black plague (Peyton) or demand a trade (Eli). 

Fk that spoiled rotten kid. 

And his H.S numbers absolutely SUCK compared to Trevor's H.S Numbers. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Anyone looking for a QB who likes Fields or Wilson. If I had to guess:

• Lions
  • Panthers
  • Washington Football Team
  • Cowboys
  • Falcons
  • 49ers
  • Saints will be quite the stretch to trade up from where they’ll be drafting
  • Bears
  • Vikings
  • Colts
  • Raiders

All it takes is one team to like either prospect and jump up ahead of the line. We might even be able to trade down twice. I say stock those picks, use the 2022 excess to replace Sam then if he still sucks

Why not just say the rest of the NFL. 

All speculation. 

The NY Jets need immediate impact players namely offensive playmakers I trade nothing and start re-building this roster. 

I don't have an answer to this quagmire we find ourselves in.  This I do know, if we keep Darnold, this will be his third HC, third OC and third offensive scheme.  What's he rated compared to the other 31 QB's in the league?  Bad coaching has contributed to his progression, but come on, I haven't really seen anything to show me this guy has "it".  Plus, when does his rookie contract end?  I don't know...I've never wished the Jets to lose in my 56 years of being a fan of this team...except for yesterday.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I would have been all over that before this season. He has just been really bad. 

My biggest fear is his upside is closer to a game manager than a top 5 QB.  I think he can still be really good, but this year is hard to shake off.

That said if they get a coach that says he can win with him, trading from 2 to 5 or 6 gets them even more draft capital.

If Joe D doesn't believe in Sam, he can almost certainly trade the #2 pick to the Bengals (who will want Sewell) and we'll still have our choice of the remaining QBs.  Personally I want nothing to do with Fields but Trey Lance would be intriguing.  But I'll put my trust in Joe D's evaluations over my own - lol.

34 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

They could theoretically surround Sam with a great supporting cast.

sign Thuney

sign Arob/JuJu/Godwin

Draft Sewell, Harris/Etienne, another WR

2021 offense could look like 

OL: Becton, Thuney, McGovern, Sewell

WRs: ARob/Crowder/Mims/Rookie 

RB: Etienne/Harris

If he couldn’t succeed with this supporting cast it’s never gonna work for him 

Not saying he won’t be a terrific player but why use the #2 pick on a LT to only move him to RT. Do we know he can play RT?  More importantly you can find a very good RT prospect later in the draft. Trade down from #2 and acquire more draft capital.  

38 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

They could theoretically surround Sam with a great supporting cast.

sign Thuney

sign Arob/JuJu/Godwin

Draft Sewell, Harris/Etienne, another WR

2021 offense could look like 

OL: Becton, Thuney, McGovern, Sewell

WRs: ARob/Crowder/Mims/Rookie 

RB: Etienne/Harris

If he couldn’t succeed with this supporting cast it’s never gonna work for him 

And this isn’t even necessarily “sticking with Sam” - the Jets can still bring in another QB to compete for the starting job

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Not saying he won’t be a terrific player but why use the #2 pick on a LT to only move him to RT. Do we know he can play RT?  More importantly you can find a very good RT prospect later in the draft. Trade down from #2 and acquire more draft capital.  

Jedruck Wills moved from RT to LT this year and has been excellent 

• Upvote 1

Of course they are they are a reactionary group, win one game and look good and you are great or have a terrible game (like fields had) and you are bad.

A couple of these talking heads that are being quoted however have always been pro darnold and have not waivered (orlovsky and Jeremiah)

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Statistics are not objective and Sam's resume is not obviously horrendous.  Those are your opinions.  While every QB's stats are measured the same way, none of them are under the same conditions and sample size matters.  

I hate to nitpick, but statistics are objective. 

They may be flawed and misleading (and you can certainly argue that they are in Sam's case if you wish), but they are objective. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If Alex smith were the qb all year the jets would have 4-5 wins.  Darnold and gase are the 2 biggest problems with this team.

That's ridiculous. Most people who earn their living, and have played in the league think the same. 

I agree with the mouthpieces.  Use this draft and FA to build around Sam (who is currently younger then Baker Mayfield was in his first year).  Hire Daboll as HC to see if he can redo for Sam what he’s done with Josh Allen.  Then if Sam doesn’t show real improvement in 2021 with a better supporting cast and real HC then you use your two first round picks in the 2022 draft to get his replacement (who will walk into a much better infrastructure than Sam ever had).

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I hate to nitpick, but statistics are objective. 

They may be flawed and misleading (and you can certainly argue that they are in Sam's case if you wish), but they are objective. 

Once you use a set of numbers to quantify an opinion they are no longer objective.  They are only objective as numbers.  It's using them where objectivity goes out the window.  

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Joe D doesn't believe in Sam, he can almost certainly trade the #2 pick to the Bengals (who will want Sewell) and we'll still have our choice of the remaining QBs.  Personally I want nothing to do with Fields but Trey Lance would be intriguing.  But I'll put my trust in Joe D's evaluations over my own - lol.

We got burned by Bless Austin, and will continue to be burned by him, unless he's replaced. Cornerback should be a top priority, along with o-line in draft.

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

That the Jets will win 4-6 games next season with Darnold is incorrect because they won 7 last season? 

I don't think that word, evidence, means what you think it means..

Why would they have a worse record than last year if they have a capable coaching staff and more talent? Even if Darnold is nothing more than a game manager to say the team would be tanking is ridiculous.  

The advantage of sticking with Darnold is you don't have to start from square one with him he is theoretically ready to produce as a starting Qb. With any new starting Qb rule of thumb is at least a dozen NFL starts probably more before the guy is really ready to play. Sam is only making 10 million in 2021.  His trade value isn't high although if he plays well the next two games that could improve.  The disadvantage is he hasn't progressed like the team wanted although not all his fault. We might be seeing his high mark as a starting Qb. The Jets have something like a 37% chance of getting the overall number one pick. That trade value could be very high. They already have extra picks from other trades like with Adams. So if you get the overall no. 1 do you take Lawrence or trade the pick. IMO you take Lawrence because he looks to be that good. Then trade Sam for whatever you can get. And keep Flacco for 2021. But if you can't select him and you can trade the pick. The team has desperate needs in the secondary, as usual need of a pass rusher and the O line just about everything. 

4 minutes ago, genot said:

We got burned by Bless Austin, and will continue to be burned by him, unless he's replaced. Cornerback should be a top priority, along with o-line in draft.

I disagree Bless Austin has been a surprise in the secondary and has played quite well compared to others. 

Gregg Williams insisted on zone coverage which often exposes any secondary. 

Also any secondary will be exposed without a legitimate pass rush which the NY Jets have none.