Jets 2021 Mock Offseason: a Glimmer of Hope

I know that no fan wants to hear me right now, but I've seen this coming for a while. It was only a matter of time when the Jets screwed up the tank, and with that, I fully expect the Jets to win one (if not 2) more games which will further eliminate them from contention. Having been said, I still maintain that the Jets can truly use this opportunity to get things right for the next decade if they play their cards right. Hence, below is a combination of what I think Joe Douglas would do/what will happen/what I want the Jets to do this offseason... 

BREAKING: Jets hire Arizona State co-DC, former Bengals' HC Marvin Lewis to replace Adam Gase 

Although I believe in Sam Darnold, I do comprehend the reality that landing a competent Head Coaching candidate is going to be far more difficult. For starters, an offensive coach is going to want to have his say at QB, and if the plan going in is that Sam will continue to be the QB, that will turn off some candidates. Those candidates may very well like Darnold the prospect, but they don't always sign up for reclamation projects unless the situation is a great one. Secondly, the job comes with a front office already intact, and while Joe Douglas has a great reputation a top candidate usually wants his own guys. For these reasons, I think the Jets are bound to make what many will deem to be an unpopular hire. The Jets want a CEO type, regardless of the coaches specialty, and that's what they will get in Marvin Lewis. Lewis and Douglas have just barely crossed paths (Marvin was the DC in Baltimore from 1996-2001), but I think what's more important is Lewis's relationship with Ozzie Newsome, who Douglas is sure to consider when vetting candidates. It's a relationship driven business, and the opinions of people like Ozzie Newsome and Phil Savage (current Senior Football Advisor) will hold weight. Also, there's been a lot of chatter that the Jets will pull their head coach from the college ranks. I don't think many confused that to mean Lewis, but he technically is coming from the college ranks and opens up the field of positional coaching candidates given that Marvin has contacts at both the pro and college levels. 

Personally, I would not be crazy about the hire. I think hiring Lewis is "playing it safe" and about restoring the credibility of the franchise more than anything. We've seen many in the media praising him as a candidate, and from a PR perspective, you would think the Jets feel they need that. However, the only good thing I can say about Lewis is that I'd have confidence in his ability to assemble a good staff, which will be very important. With Lewis up there in age (he turned 62 in September), there should be an emphasis on hiring young coaches who can eventually take over if that time needs to come. Hence, below is what I would project to be the Jets entire coaching staff: 

Head Coach Marvin Lewis ASU

Offensive Coordinator James Urban BAL
QB Coach Press Taylor PHI
RB Coach Bernie Parmalee ATL
WR Coach Hines Ward NYJ
TE Coach Justin Frye UCLA
OL Coach/Asst. HC Juan Castillo CHI
Asst. OL Coach Travis Switzer BAL
Offensive Assistant Joe Callahan XFL
Offensive Assistant Todd Washington NYJ

Defensive Coordinator Teryl Austin PIT
DL Coach/Asst. HC Anthony Weaver HOU
LB Coach/Sr. Asst.  Jason Rebrovich JAX
DB Coach Ryan Downard GB
Asst. DB Coach Leigh Torrence NYJ
Defensive Assistant  Chip Vaughn NYJ
Defensive Assistant  Deon Broomfield HOU

ST Coordinator Brian Polian ND

ROSTER MOVEMENT

• Re-sign S Marcus Maye – 4-year, $48 million contract 
  • Re-sign OL Pat Elflein – 3-year, $8.25 million contract
  • Re-sign WR Breshad Perriman – 1-year, $6.5 million contract 
  • Re-sign OLB Tarell Basham – 1-year, $3.75 million contract 
  • Re-sign S Matthias Farley – 1-year, $1.2 million contract 
  • Re-sign LB Patrick Onwuasor – 1-year, $1 million contract
  • Re-sign OL Josh Andrews – 1-year, $990,000 contract 
  • Release DE Henry Anderson
  • Release WR Josh Doctson
  • Release OL Leo Koloamatangi

• Sign G Joe Thuney (NE-28) – 5-year, $70 million contract 
  • Sign WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (PIT-24) – 3-year, $47.5 million contract 
  • Sign DE/OLB Matt Judon (BAL-29) – 3-year, $45 million contract 
  • Sign CB Rasul Douglas (CAR-25) – 1-year, $5 million contract 
  • Sign S Jaquiski Tartt (SF-29) – 1-year, $3.5 million contract
  • Sign LB Anthony Walker (IND-25) – 1-year, $3.5 million contract
  • Sign DL Jihad Ward (BAL-26) – 1-year, $2.5 million contract 
  • Sign DL Carlos Watkins (HOU-28) – 1-year, $2 million contract 
  • Sign RB Corey Clement (PHI-26) – 1-year, $950,000 contract
  • Sign CB Cre’Von LeBlanc (PHI-26) – 1-year, $950,000 contract

TRADE: the Philadelphia Eagles agree to trade DE Derek Barnett and their 5th round pick (149) to the New York Jets in exchange for their 3rd round pick (89 via SEA) 

• Acquire DE Derek Barnett (PHI-25) – 1-year, $10.5 million contract 

2021 NFL DRAFT 

The Jets infamously played their way out of the #1 pick, gift wrapping QB Trevor Lawrence to the Jacksonville Jaguars, but they still find themselves in a position where they can take a top level quarterback prospect. Sam Darnold regressed in year 3, which left Douglas in a precarious position of determining whether (1) if his play was a product of the environment; and (2) if Darnold is salvageable. This draft is not so different from the 2018 draft class in the sense that there are easily 4 prospects who will be considered in the top 10: Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, and Trey Lance. If Douglas and his new staff determine that Sam is not the guy, they will draft the top QB available and trade Darnold for what is likely to be a 2nd round pick. If they determine that Darnold, who is only 23, is still capable of developing into an elite franchise-QB prospect the team felt was the case just one year ago, then the right move for Douglas would be to stockpile on draft picks and continue building around the player while providing himself a safety net in 2022 in the event Darnold is not the guy (multiple draft picks). 

After much deliberation, I think Douglas will make the decision to trade the pick. When you consider how much draft capital the Jets can add by trading down, as well as some of the prospects that should still be available to him by keeping a top 10 pick, its hard not to want to explore such a trade. If it works, the Jets have a loaded roster for the next 4-5 years. If Darnold falls flat, then the Jets have a readymade roster and massive amounts of draft capital to acquire a QB in 2022. 

TRADE: the New York Jets send their 1st round pick (2) and 2022 5th round pick to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for their 1st round pick (8), 2nd round pick (40), 4th round pick (110), 2022 1st round pick, and QB Jimmy Garoppolo

TRADE: the Baltimore Ravens send their 1st round pick (22) to the New York Jets in exchange for their 1st round pick (26 via SEA) and 4th round pick (105) 

TRADE: the New York Jets send their 5th round pick (154 via NYG) to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for LB Chris Board and their 2022 5th round pick 

• Round 1, Pick #8: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
  • Round 1, Pick #26: Teven Jenkins, OL, Oklahoma State
  • Round 2, Pick #34: Carlos Basham, DE, Wake Forest
  • Round 2, Pick #40: Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina 
  • Round 3, Pick #66: Camryn Bynum, CB, California 
  • Round 4, Pick #110: Keith Taylor, CB, Washington
  • Round 5, Pick #145: Austin Watkins, WR, UAB
  • Round 5, Pick #149: Erroll Thompson, LB, Mississippi State
  • Round 6, Pick #198: Jack Helfin, DL, Northern Illinois 

Have at it

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 8
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I know that no fan wants to hear me right now, but I've seen this coming for a while. It was only a matter of time when the Jets screwed up the tank, and with that, I fully expect the Jets to win one (if not 2) more games which will further eliminate them from contention. Having been said, I still maintain that the Jets can truly use this opportunity to get things right for the next decade if they play their cards right. Hence, below is a combination of what I think Joe Douglas would do/what will happen/what I want the Jets to do this offseason... 

BREAKING: Jets hire Arizona State co-DC, former Bengals' HC Marvin Lewis to replace Adam Gase 

Although I believe in Sam Darnold, I do comprehend the reality that landing a competent Head Coaching candidate is going to be far more difficult. For starters, an offensive coach is going to want to have his say at QB, and if the plan going in is that Sam will continue to be the QB, that will turn off some candidates. Those candidates may very well like Darnold the prospect, but they don't always sign up for reclamation projects unless the situation is a great one. Secondly, the job comes with a front office already intact, and while Joe Douglas has a great reputation a top candidate usually wants his own guys. For these reasons, I think the Jets are bound to make what many will deem to be an unpopular hire. The Jets want a CEO type, regardless of the coaches specialty, and that's what they will get in Marvin Lewis. Lewis and Douglas have just barely crossed paths (Marvin was the DC in Baltimore from 1996-2001), but I think what's more important is Lewis's relationship with Ozzie Newsome, who Douglas is sure to consider when vetting candidates. It's a relationship driven business, and the opinions of people like Ozzie Newsome and Phil Savage (current Senior Football Advisor) will hold weight. Also, there's been a lot of chatter that the Jets will pull their head coach from the college ranks. I don't think many confused that to mean Lewis, but he technically is coming from the college ranks and opens up the field of positional coaching candidates given that Marvin has contacts at both the pro and college levels. 

Personally, I would not be crazy about the hire. I think hiring Lewis is "playing it safe" and about restoring the credibility of the franchise more than anything. We've seen many in the media praising him as a candidate, and from a PR perspective, you would think the Jets feel they need that. However, the only good thing I can say about Lewis is that I'd have confidence in his ability to assemble a good staff, which will be very important. With Lewis up there in age (he turned 62 in September), there should be an emphasis on hiring young coaches who can eventually take over if that time needs to come. Hence, below is what I would project to be the Jets entire coaching staff: 

Head Coach Marvin Lewis ASU

Offensive Coordinator James Urban BAL
QB Coach Press Taylor PHI
RB Coach Bernie Parmalee ATL
WR Coach Hines Ward NYJ
TE Coach Justin Frye UCLA
OL Coach/Asst. HC Juan Castillo CHI
Asst. OL Coach Travis Switzer BAL
Offensive Assistant Joe Callahan XFL
Offensive Assistant Todd Washington NYJ

Defensive Coordinator Teryl Austin PIT
DL Coach/Asst. HC Anthony Weaver HOU
LB Coach/Sr. Asst.  Jason Rebrovich JAX
DB Coach Ryan Downard GB
Asst. DB Coach Leigh Torrence NYJ
Defensive Assistant  Chip Vaughn NYJ
Defensive Assistant  Deon Broomfield HOU

ST Coordinator Brian Polian ND

ROSTER MOVEMENT

• Re-sign S Marcus Maye – 4-year, $48 million contract 
  • Re-sign OL Pat Elflein – 3-year, $8.25 million contract
  • Re-sign WR Breshad Perriman – 1-year, $6.5 million contract 
  • Re-sign OLB Tarell Basham – 1-year, $3.75 million contract 
  • Re-sign S Matthias Farley – 1-year, $1.2 million contract 
  • Re-sign LB Patrick Onwuasor – 1-year, $1 million contract
  • Re-sign OL Josh Andrews – 1-year, $990,000 contract 
  • Release DE Henry Anderson
  • Release WR Josh Doctson
  • Release OL Leo Koloamatangi

• Sign G Joe Thuney (NE-28) – 5-year, $70 million contract 
  • Sign WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (PIT-24) – 3-year, $47.5 million contract 
  • Sign DE/OLB Matt Judon (BAL-29) – 3-year, $45 million contract 
  • Sign CB Rasul Douglas (CAR-25) – 1-year, $5 million contract 
  • Sign S Jaquiski Tartt (SF-29) – 1-year, $3.5 million contract
  • Sign LB Anthony Walker (IND-25) – 1-year, $3.5 million contract
  • Sign DL Jihad Ward (BAL-26) – 1-year, $2.5 million contract 
  • Sign DL Carlos Watkins (HOU-28) – 1-year, $2 million contract 
  • Sign RB Corey Clement (PHI-26) – 1-year, $950,000 contract
  • Sign CB Cre’Von LeBlanc (PHI-26) – 1-year, $950,000 contract

TRADE: the Philadelphia Eagles agree to trade DE Derek Barnett and their 5th round pick (149) to the New York Jets in exchange for their 3rd round pick (89 via SEA) 

• Acquire DE Derek Barnett (PHI-25) – 1-year, $10.5 million contract 

2021 NFL DRAFT 

The Jets infamously played their way out of the #1 pick, gift wrapping QB Trevor Lawrence to the Jacksonville Jaguars, but they still find themselves in a position where they can take a top level quarterback prospect. Sam Darnold regressed in year 3, which left Douglas in a precarious position of determining whether (1) if his play was a product of the environment; and (2) if Darnold is salvageable. This draft is not so different from the 2018 draft class in the sense that there are easily 4 prospects who will be considered in the top 10: Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, and Trey Lance. If Douglas and his new staff determine that Sam is not the guy, they will draft the top QB available and trade Darnold for what is likely to be a 2nd round pick. If they determine that Darnold, who is only 23, is still capable of developing into an elite franchise-QB prospect the team felt was the case just one year ago, then the right move for Douglas would be to stockpile on draft picks and continue building around the player while providing himself a safety net in 2022 in the event Darnold is not the guy (multiple draft picks). 

After much deliberation, I think Douglas will make the decision to trade the pick. When you consider how much draft capital the Jets can add by trading down, as well as some of the prospects that should still be available to him by keeping a top 10 pick, its hard not to want to explore such a trade. If it works, the Jets have a loaded roster for the next 4-5 years. If Darnold falls flat, then the Jets have a readymade roster and massive amounts of draft capital to acquire a QB in 2022. 

TRADE: the New York Jets send their 1st round pick (2) and 2022 5th round pick to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for their 1st round pick (8), 2nd round pick (40), 4th round pick (110), 2022 1st round pick, and QB Jimmy Garoppolo

TRADE: the Baltimore Ravens send their 1st round pick (22) to the New York Jets in exchange for their 1st round pick (26 via SEA) and 4th round pick (105) 

TRADE: the New York Jets send their 5th round pick (154 via NYG) to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for LB Chris Board and their 2022 5th round pick 

• Round 1, Pick #8: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
  • Round 1, Pick #26: Teven Jenkins, OL, Oklahoma State
  • Round 2, Pick #34: Carlos Basham, DE, Wake Forest
  • Round 2, Pick #40: Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina 
  • Round 3, Pick #66: Camryn Bynum, CB, California 
  • Round 4, Pick #110: Keith Taylor, CB, Washington
  • Round 5, Pick #145: Austin Watkins, WR, UAB
  • Round 5, Pick #149: Erroll Thompson, LB, Mississippi State
  • Round 6, Pick #198: Jack Helfin, DL, Northern Illinois 

Have at it

You put a ton of effort into this, for this I am grateful, however, you lost me at Marvin Lewis lol. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Delete your account.

Maybe try not being a cuck for a minute and appreciate the fact that some try to be realistic when putting these things together... anyway... 

1. I personally want no part of Lewis, but who am I to say that it won't happen? Matt Campbell isn't coming here. Bieniemy isn't coming here. I'd put my money on Harbaugh or Lewis at this point, and Lewis feels more like a guy Joe Douglas would want RE: culture. Simply put: the Jets are not going to satisfy anyone with their hire, and I don't anticipate an offensive head coach will be on their way absent a say in personnel, which I don't see Douglas giving up. 
  2. There's a legitimate argument as it relates to Darnold vs. a rookie QB. I don't think any QB not-named Trevor Lawrence is worth drafting, and the only reason I say draft Trevor is because he's going to attract a top-notch coach. Otherwise, I don't think any QB is walking into some stellar situation here in New York. As far as replacements go, I don't see anyone who is *that* much better than Darnold. Fields is not special. Wilson is not special. Lance is not special. I want no part in drafting a run-of-the-mill QB prospect to replace Darnold. That's not to say they're bad prospects, rather, they offer no more upside than Darnold does. I would rather build around the position, even if that means Darnold being a placeholder, rather than taking a guy just to start fresh. Let a 24 year old Darnold try to recalibrate with a new staff and if it doesn't work out, rest easy at night knowing that you have 3 1st round picks to work it out in 2022. Two-to-three of Carson Strong, Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis, Tyler Shough, Spencer Rattler, Mac Jones (if he doesn't declare) will wind up being top 12 prospects next year. 
  3. You can nitpick all you want on free agent choices. I would personally be annoyed by signing a guy like JuJu Smith-Schuster because there's other options available, but I think it will happen. Crowder is a free agent next year which will open up slot reps for him in 2022. Douglas has been after guys like Thuney and Judon for a year now. I think the Jets will have buyers remorse on Judon and JuJu, but this is what happens in the NFL... 
  4. The "glimmer of hope" for Jets fans isn't Marvin Lewis. It isn't Sam Darnold. It's the fact that the Jets would be able to trot out a real offense in 2021... 
QB Sam Darnold 1st
QB Jimmy Garoppolo 2nd/T
QB James Morgan 4th

RB La'Mical Perine 4th
RB Ty Johnson UD/W
RB Javonte Williams 2nd
RB Corey Clement UD/FA

TE Kyle Pitts 1st
TE Chris Herndon 4th
TE Ryan Griffin 6th/FA
TE/HB Trevon Wesco 4th

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster 2nd/FA
WR Denzel Mims 2nd
WR Jamison Crowder  4th/FA
WR Breshad Perriman 1st/FA
WR Austin Watkins 5th
WR Braxton Berrios 7th/W

OT Mekhi Becton 1st
OT George Fant UD/FA
OT Teven Jenkins 1st
OT Chuma Edoga 3rd
OG Joe Thuney 3rd/FA
OG Alex Lewis 4th/T
OG Greg Van Roten UD/FA
OG Cameron Clark 4th
T/G Conor McDermott 6th/W
C/G Connor McGovern 5th/FA
C/G Pat Elfein 3rd/W

If you can come out of this offseason adding that much firepower, your offense should improve no matter who the QB is. An OL of Becton-Thuney-McGovern-Jenkins-Fant has the potential to be best in the NFL. Mims-JuJu-Crowder-Perriman is a very competent WR core. Williams has the makings of being a great RB. Pitts-Herndon could be a lethal combination. 

Again. If Darnold can't be salvaged with this supporting cast than at least you find out properly but I'll tell you what. An offense with Williams, Pitts, JuJu, Mims, Becton, Thuney, and Jenkins wouldn't be the worst situation for a QB to walk into in 2022. But the upside? If Darnold develops into the QB he's capable of being, the Jets have 3 1st round picks in 2022 to spread around the roster. That is the glimmer of hope. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, football guy said:

Maybe try not being a cuck for a minute and appreciate the fact that some try to be realistic when putting these things together... anyway... 

1. I personally want no part of Lewis, but who am I to say that it won't happen? Matt Campbell isn't coming here. Bieniemy isn't coming here. I'd put my money on Harbaugh or Lewis at this point, and Lewis feels more like a guy Joe Douglas would want RE: culture. Simply put: the Jets are not going to satisfy anyone with their hire, and I don't anticipate an offensive head coach will be on their way absent a say in personnel, which I don't see Douglas giving up. 
  2. There's a legitimate argument as it relates to Darnold vs. a rookie QB. I don't think any QB not-named Trevor Lawrence is worth drafting, and the only reason I say draft Trevor is because he's going to attract a top-notch coach. Otherwise, I don't think any QB is walking into some stellar situation here in New York. As far as replacements go, I don't see anyone who is *that* much better than Darnold. Fields is not special. Wilson is not special. Lance is not special. I want no part in drafting a run-of-the-mill QB prospect to replace Darnold. That's not to say they're bad prospects, rather, they offer no more upside than Darnold does. I would rather build around the position, even if that means Darnold being a placeholder, rather than taking a guy just to start fresh. Let a 24 year old Darnold try to recalibrate with a new staff and if it doesn't work out, rest easy at night knowing that you have 3 1st round picks to work it out in 2022. Two-to-three of Carson Strong, Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis, Tyler Shough, Spencer Rattler, Mac Jones (if he doesn't declare) will wind up being top 12 prospects next year. 
  3. You can nitpick all you want on free agent choices. I would personally be annoyed by signing a guy like JuJu Smith-Schuster because there's other options available, but I think it will happen. Crowder is a free agent next year which will open up slot reps for him in 2022. Douglas has been after guys like Thuney and Judon for a year now. I think the Jets will have buyers remorse on Judon and JuJu, but this is what happens in the NFL... 
  4. The "glimmer of hope" for Jets fans isn't Marvin Lewis. It isn't Sam Darnold. It's the fact that the Jets would be able to trot out a real offense in 2021... 
QB Sam Darnold 1st
QB Jimmy Garoppolo 2nd/T
QB James Morgan 4th

RB La'Mical Perine 4th
RB Ty Johnson UD/W
RB Javonte Williams 2nd
RB Corey Clement UD/FA

TE Kyle Pitts 1st
TE Chris Herndon 4th
TE Ryan Griffin 6th/FA
TE/HB Trevon Wesco 4th

WR Denzel Mims 2nd
WR Austin Watkins 5th
WR Braxton Berrios 7th/W

OT Mekhi Becton 1st
OT George Fant UD/FA
OT Teven Jenkins 1st
OT Chuma Edoga 3rd
OG Joe Thuney 3rd/FA
OG Alex Lewis 4th/T
OG Greg Van Roten UD/FA
OG Cameron Clark 4th
C/G Pat Elfein 3rd/W

If you can come out of this offseason adding that much firepower, your offense should improve no matter who the QB is. An OL of Becton-Thuney-McGovern-Jenkins-Fant has the potential to be best in the NFL. Mims-JuJu-Crowder-Perriman is a very competent WR core. Williams has the makings of being a great RB. Pitts-Herndon could be a lethal combination. 

Again. If Darnold can't be salvaged with this supporting cast than at least you find out properly but I'll tell you what. An offense with Williams, Pitts, JuJu, Mims, Becton, Thuney, and Jenkins wouldn't be the worst situation for a QB to walk into in 2022. But the upside? If Darnold develops into the QB he's capable of being, the Jets have 3 1st round picks in 2022 to spread around the roster. That is the glimmer of hope. 

This is DWC isn't it?

• Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, football guy said:

QB Sam Darnold 1st
QB Jimmy Garoppolo 2nd/T
QB James Morgan 4th

RB La'Mical Perine 4th
RB Ty Johnson UD/W
RB Javonte Williams 2nd
RB Corey Clement UD/FA

TE Kyle Pitts 1st
TE Chris Herndon 4th
TE Ryan Griffin 6th/FA
TE/HB Trevon Wesco 4th

WR Denzel Mims 2nd
WR Austin Watkins 5th
WR Braxton Berrios 7th/W

OT Mekhi Becton 1st
OT George Fant UD/FA
OT Teven Jenkins 1st
OT Chuma Edoga 3rd
OG Joe Thuney 3rd/FA
OG Alex Lewis 4th/T
OG Greg Van Roten UD/FA
OG Cameron Clark 4th
C/G Pat Elfein 3rd/W

Delete your account and go f*ck yourself.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, football guy said:

QB Sam Darnold 1st
QB Jimmy Garoppolo 2nd/T
QB James Morgan 4th

RB La'Mical Perine 4th
RB Ty Johnson UD/W
RB Javonte Williams 2nd
RB Corey Clement UD/FA

TE Kyle Pitts 1st
TE Chris Herndon 4th
TE Ryan Griffin 6th/FA
TE/HB Trevon Wesco 4th

WR Denzel Mims 2nd
WR Austin Watkins 5th
WR Braxton Berrios 7th/W

OT Mekhi Becton 1st
OT George Fant UD/FA
OT Teven Jenkins 1st
OT Chuma Edoga 3rd
OG Joe Thuney 3rd/FA
OG Alex Lewis 4th/T
OG Greg Van Roten UD/FA
OG Cameron Clark 4th
C/G Pat Elfein 3rd/W

Delete your account.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Kyle Pitts? LMAO HAHAHHAHHA

HAHAHAHA one of the best best TE prospects of all-time, and virtually every single statistic available backs that up. Hell, he's broken every modern TE record despite a condensed season, he's the highest graded collegian pass catcher PFF has ever graded (since 2014), he's virtually unguardable in certain situations making 50-50 balls look more like 80-20 balls, and he's probably the most dominant receiver in the class (that's including Ja'Marr Chase). He's reminiscint of present-day Darren Waller/young Tony Gonzalez. But I guess Kevin knows something I don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Delete your account and go f*ck yourself.

Oh god he used the asterisk and ended with a period! 

2 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Im sure this took a lot of work but **** me this is terrible

I agree, but just trying to be realistic. Who is really going to sign up to become the Jets HC with a GM already in place and with the possibility that the QB decision (Darnold vs. Wilson vs. Fields vs. Lance) may be entirely out of their hands? Meanwhile, it looks like the Jags will have (1) vacancies across the board, allowing a GM and HC to partner up; (2) the #1 pick; (3) the most cap space in the NFL; (4) loads of young talent and draft capital; (5) no state income tax. 

Reports are the Jets will favor hiring a CEO type who will come in and get the most out of the team. Albert Breer has been saying it could be a college guy for a while. There have been some reports that it will be an "alpha" type, but I think that was a weak report (I believe by Tony Pauline). Unless they're given full reign on the QB decision, not sure it will be someone who is a "QB whisperer". I look at Ron Rivera's recent "success" as a seasoned, established, respected coach as the blueprint. Will I hate it? Absolutely. But there really aren't any candidates I liked this year anyway. I felt it was Matt Campbell/Pat Fitzgerald or bust; you can forget their names now. Saleh is favored by DET and JAX. Bienemy in HOU and ATL. Daboll connected to LAC, DET, and HOU. CHI has the best chance to land Pat Fitzgerald. McDaniels (yuck) connected to LAC and HOU. Bowles ain't coming back. Schottenheimer connected to HOU and JAX- not sure how he left off with ownership. Byron Leftwich probably staying in Tampa for the long haul. Joe Brady is not coming to New York nor do I think the Jets will be interested. 

Realistically, here are the candidates that will likely be in our crosshairs: 

• HC Doug Pederson: not a fan of this at all.
  • HC Jim Harbaugh: I think Woody will want him. Not sure how realistic. 
  • former HC Marvin Lewis: not a fan at all but seems realistic. 
  • former HC Bill Cowher: pipedream and not a fan. Too far removed. 
  • OC Greg Roman: wouldn't mind this, but he's been a tough sell as HC. 
  • OC Arthur Smith: analytics community loves him. I'm indifferent. 
  • OC Todd Monken: lost the job to Adam Gase. 
  • DC Wink Martindale: 58, no HC experience, been a coordinator for 2 years. No thanks.  
  • DC Matt Eberflus: Not sold. Seems like he'd be Steve Spagnuolo 2.0. 

If we can somehow land Matt Campbell I'll be relieved. I feel that would be a bigger win than landing Trevor Lawrence. Otherwise, I'm not all that optimistic about our prospects. Whether we hire someone like Lewis/Harbaugh or a coordinator, none of these guys scream a decade-long coach. Hence why I think it will be Lewis for 3-4 years and Douglas will try to get someone on on the staff such as Press Taylor (whom he is close with and was believed to be a future HC candidate prior to the Eagles' disastrous season) or Anthony Weaver (whom Douglas has ties to through the Ravens and is also respected around the league) to "groom" as a potential future replacement... which I might as well point out almost never works. But best chance at it is by building a stacked roster that isn't dependent on the QB. 

One thing I will say is that I would get on board with hiring James Urban. He's coached under Andy Reid, Marvin Lewis, Jim Harbaugh and has gotten the most out of all the players he coached. In PHI he got great play out of McNabb and Vick. He's gotten great play out of Lamar Jackson. Oversaw the development of AJ Green, Marvin Jones, and Mohamed Sanu in Cincinnati. He's widely considered to be one of the most respected assistant coaches in the NFL given his ability to teach, and SI's Andy Benoit once recounted a story how Urban spent over an hour dissecting 2 plays. Is he a good play-caller? I'm not sure because he has no experience doing it. You can also make the argument that he coached great players- so the expectation should be to get great production. I don't always buy that. If you want another fresh name to keep an eye on I would say Graham Harrell (USC OC)

I appreciate all the work you put in but Marvin Lewis??  Seriously??  Not impressed with your draft either.  If we get the 8th pick and Trey Lance is still on the board, he is the pick, not Kyle Pitts.   I am not sold on Darnold and Lance has too much potential to pass up at that spot.   But seriously....  Marvin Lewis??  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Getting every single top FA at their position is "realistic"?

Have you seen the FA class? Also, are you even aware of the financial restraints 28 other teams will have to encounter? 

By the way, Joe Thuney is the only player who is a top FA. JuJu is probably the 5th WR at best... more likely the 6th or 7th rated guy. Judon is a top 5 EDGE in a weaker FA class who Joe Douglas has been angling to get for over a year. The rest of the players are just guys. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

I appreciate all the work you put in but Marvin Lewis??  Seriously??  Not impressed with your draft either.  If we get the 8th pick and Trey Lance is still on the board, he is the pick, not Kyle Pitts.   I am not sold on Darnold and Lance has too much potential to pass up at that spot.   But seriously....  Marvin Lewis??  

Not who I want. It's what I expect