With the #2 pick of the NFL draft, the NY Jets select...

....Penei Sewell. Watch the tape on this Oregon Duck. Yes, I'm advocating if the Jets miss out on Trevor Lawrence, to commit to building around Sam Darnold. It's simple, Lawrence is the only "sure-fire" QB in this draft, so he's the only guy that would make me give up on Darnold. Unfortunately, Darnold hasn't been put into a good situation in his 3 years as a Jet. 2020 has been the first season he's had a decent O-Line, but limited weapons and a horrendous coaching staff. I'm confident that by building an O-Line and giving him some weapons (ie. JuJu Smith-Shuster, Allen Robinson, Kenny Golladay, Chris Godwin) with proper coaching, Darnold will finally show his potential. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
3 minutes ago, JeffJetsFan said:

....Penei Sewell. Watch the tape on this Oregon Duck. Yes, I'm advocating if the Jets miss out on Trevor Lawrence, to commit to building around Sam Darnold. It's simple, Lawrence is the only "sure-fire" QB in this draft, so he's the only guy that would make me give up on Darnold. Unfortunately, Darnold hasn't been put into a good situation in his 3 years as a Jet. 2020 has been the first season he's had a decent O-Line, but limited weapons and a horrendous coaching staff. I'm confident that by building an O-Line and giving him some weapons (ie. JuJu Smith-Shuster, Allen Robinson, Kenny Golladay, Chris Godwin) with proper coaching, Darnold will finally show his potential. 

I think Greg Roman would need to be the coach. 

17 minutes ago, JeffJetsFan said:

...Penei Sewell. Watch the tape on this Oregon Duck. Yes, I'm advocating if the Jets miss out on Trevor Lawrence, to commit to building around Sam Darnold.

I'm fine with drafting Sewell, but I'm not sure why people keep saying this. Building the line doesn't preclude us from signing a free agent QB, or even drafting one with the Adams pick.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I'd lean more to Chase but I certainly would welcome Sewell

No sense in drafting a WR so high with a loaded WR class in draft and FA. And a lot of the WRs hitting FA are in their mid-20s anyway. If I'm drafting a playmaker, it's Kyle Pitts, but may have to trade up with our late 1st rounder to get him. I could see him going off around #10. Pitts is a monster. 

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm fine with drafting Sewell, but I'm not sure why people keep saying this. Building the line doesn't preclude us from signing a free agent QB, or even drafting one with the Adams pick.

This is so frustrating to me. 

The same people who have been telling us for months not to obsess over Lawrence because there are no sure things in the draft are now telling us that Lawrence was the only slam dunk QB, so we should be content to build around Darnold. 

Regardless of whether we get the top pick or not, we need a new QB. Yesterday, Darnold threw for 200 yards for the first time since week 4. He's not the answer. Maybe someone else in the draft is? 

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

So the sh*tty play didn’t make you give up on him?

If not, why not?

I blame coaching and no playmakers to work with. I mean, geez, even LeVeon Bell couldn't get going in this offense. Any other QB would have the same issues in this system. 

3 minutes ago, JeffJetsFan said:

No sense in drafting a WR so high with a loaded WR class in draft and FA. And a lot of the WRs hitting FA are in their mid-20s anyway. If I'm drafting a playmaker, it's Kyle Pitts, but may have to trade up with our late 1st rounder to get him. I could see him going off around #10. Pitts is a monster. 

Would rather trade down from 2 and take Pitts or Trey Lance. It depends heavily on how they feel about Lance, Darnold and Fields. 

Then again, after a rade down, there should be a ton of options and nothing should be off the table, including another trade down or taking defense. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed if your gonna build “around Darnold” it needs to be more like we’re gonna build around Darnold, AND insert your favorite veteran QB available for the both to compete for that job to lead the team you built.

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Would rather trade down from 2 and take Pitts or Trey Lance. It depends heavily on how they feel about Lance, Darnold and Fields. 

Then again, after a rade down, there should be a ton of options and nothing should be off the table, including another trade down or taking defense. 

Lost me on taking defense. We need to double, triple, quadruple dip on offense so it isnt so offensive.

19 minutes ago, JeffJetsFan said:

OJ Howard says hello

• Upvote 1

IF the jets do not like Fields I would try hard to trade down.  I think the jets could trade down not too far and get some nice assets and still come away with a premium guard or center (which is what I want above another LT) and a weapon player with their 1st pick.

11 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

free agency happens before the draft so if we end up signing a receiver like A Robinson or JuJu Smith-Schuster or Golladay then maybe you take Sewell

correct, we are not drafting a wr early, one or two in free agency...

28 minutes ago, JeffJetsFan said:

I blame coaching and no playmakers to work with. I mean, geez, even LeVeon Bell couldn't get going in this offense. Any other QB would have the same issues in this system. 

Le’Veon Bell looks like he’s running with concrete boots on in Kansas City too & Joe Flacco got more out of this offense than Sam has all year with those same exact weapons. I also don’t understand how lack of weapons prevents him from making stupid decisions, throwing into double coverage or throwing off his back foot on a consistent basis.

No one

We trade down into the 6-10 range and take Kyle Pitts/DeVonta Smith.

At least that’s my hope.

Realistically, I still say we trade down into the 6-10 range but JD might take someone like Farley, Rousseau, or Surtain which I wouldn’t fault him for even though it isn’t my preference.

28 minutes ago, xboxjets said:

Lost me on taking defense. We need to double, triple, quadruple dip on offense so it isnt so offensive.

I strongly disagree. We need to double, triple, quadruple down in FA on offense vets and not depend on the draft or a rookie group jumping in and making an adequate impact. 

I think the NFL has changed so much in recent years to help the young QB...

I am confident any of these top 4 QBs will be as good as darnold is currently playing. Its not good, that is no stretch of the imagination to see a rookie have better numbers than sam.

The Jets I'm convinced will pick #1 overall. 

Gardner Minshew needed to shake off the rust against Baltimore after a long layoff. 

He's going to LIGHT UP an absolutely injury depleted Chicago secondary this Sunday. 

And if not he's going to light up Indianapolis week 17 as he did against Indianapolis week 1 of this year and week 17 of last year!

He's got their #. 

Lawrence will become a JET!

• Post of the Week 1

Sewell is the smart pick, but incredibly unexciting after taking Becton last year and revamping the Oline and being so tantalizingly close to Lawrence. JD probably doesn't reach for Chase at #2 or any of the QBs. 

We should definitely bring someone in to compete for the QB1 job though, I would love to get Stafford of the options that are feasibly open.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:30 PM, xboxjets said:

Hey, if the Jets trade down and there's no QB they like and there's no Offensive player they really like but a guy like Greg Rousseau or Caleb Farley are sitting there or somehow a guy like Micah Parsons slides down I'm taking one of those top tier talents. And I'm not only doing so because of the lack of overall talent on the team (including defense), I'm doing so knowing full well that I have another first rounder (Seattle), a high 2nd rounder, two 3rd round picks and whatever I got when I moved down from #2 overall. That's a lot in the first three rounds to address offense. 

Like I said, this is assuming there isn't a QB or offensive player the Jets really like sitting there. They can move down hoping a player on offense will be there and if he is gone try to move down again, but otherwise they will be going BPA or best player on their board.