Baker Mayfield.

55 minutes ago, Icer said:

Baker Mayfield has been better than Sam Darnold since his first snap and it's not even close

Revisionist history to the max. Darnold was better than baker in every way in their second year- and this was with baker having the most stacked offense in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

Sam has always been a bad pro QB.

Baker broke a rookie TD record, so was a solid QB once, and this year.

Baker and Lamar are the best players of that draft; Sam is perhaps the worst. Going forward with Sam is like putting tape on a leaking roof; gotta address it at some point...Why not now?

Correction: Chubb is one of the best players too, and Allen....for now at least......That major leap is somewhat sus to me, for a guy who missed routine throws mere months ago lol.....

• Upvote 1

Coming out of college Baker had a 4.3 TD-to-INT Ratio in comparison to Sam's 2.5 TD-to-INT Ratio. 

Baker was developed out of college with 131 TDs/30 INTs and Sam wasn't with only 57 TDs/22 INTs. 

Baker has always been the much better QB than Sam unfortunately us Jet fans and Maccagnan fell absolutely in love with Sam because of ONE ROSE BOWL GAME vs. Penn State. 

I made a promise to myself because of Sam to never put stock into ONE GAME ??‍♂️?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, StrawberryFields said:

If the Jets run it back with Sam next year I am done. Did you watch him play this season? What more do you need see?

Let some other team try and fix him. He is done here. 

These posts remind me of last year when QW was considered worse than Gholston 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, QB1 said:

Revisionist history to the max. Darnold was better than baker in every way in their second year- and this was with baker having the most stacked offense in the NFL.

Yep. Didn’t the browns stack the oline by signing Conklin?  IMO it all starts there.  Throw in some players like Landry and Chubb and mayfields job becomes that much easier.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GothamLurker said:

Sam has always been a bad pro QB.

Baker broke a rookie TD record, so was a solid QB once, and this year.

Baker and Lamar are the best players of that draft; Sam is perhaps the worst. Going forward with Sam is like putting tape on a leaking roof; gotta address it at some point...Why not now?

Correction: Chubb is one of the best players too, and Allen....for now at least......That major leap is somewhat sus to me, for a guy who missed routine throws mere months ago lol.....

That Josh Allen guy in Buffalo is pretty good too. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Coming out of college Baker had a 4.3 TD-to-INT Ratio in comparison to Sam's 2.5 TD-to-INT Ratio. 

Baker was developed out of college with 131 TDs/30 INTs and Sam wasn't with only 57 TDs/22 INTs. 

Baker has always been the much better QB than Sam unfortunately us Jet fans and Maccagnan fell absolutely in love with Sam because of ONE ROSE BOWL GAME vs. Penn State. 

I made a promise to myself because of Sam to never put stock into ONE GAME ??‍♂️?

Where was this post last season? 

We can all play MMQB

8 hours ago, QB1 said:

Look up their stats in Year 1 and come back and tell me if what I said was wrong. Even with a down year last year, he still threw for more yards, YPA, and TD's albeit he had more INTs

24 minutes ago, Icer said:

Look up their stats in Year 1 and come back and tell me if what I said was wrong. Even with a down year last year, he still threw for more yards, YPA, and TD's albeit he had more INTs

I don’t give a rats ass about year 1. Baker came into the NFL much more ready to start- he should have done better. Year he Started 3 more games so his game averages were all lower. You’re wrong.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Called the Baker bounce back. Baker’s sophomore slump was a Kitchens slump. I was called a Baker ball washer. Sometimes being right just has to be its own reward.

So is it the coach or the QB? Cuz the only thing you've repeated more than "Sometimes being right just has to be its own reward" on these forums is some variation of: a good QB is a good QB and a bad QB is a bad QB. 

ftr, I agree with you about Baker. It's exactly how I've always felt about any non-1%er QB prospect. They'll always require coaching/play calling and roster help to develop into a solid pro. Where they take it from there is up to their own ability. 

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Do you seriously believe that in the pre- draft process, 32 NFL teams only paid attention to what Darnold did in one game.

13 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

So is it the coach or the QB? Cuz the only thing you've repeated more than "Sometimes being right just has to be its own reward" on these forums is some variation of: a good QB is a good QB and a bad QB is a bad QB. 

ftr, I agree with you about Baker. It's exactly how I've always felt about any non-1%er QB prospect. They'll always require coaching/play calling and roster help to develop into a solid pro. Where they take it from there is up to their own ability. 

Agree that flawed QBs are system/weapon dependent and Baker is a flawed QB (although much less so than Darnold). I'd put him somewhere in the 2nd quartile. It's not inconsistent with my comment that FQBs make their own weapons and that greatness -- if present -- comes through in any circumstances.

9 minutes ago, genot said:

Do you seriously believe that in the pre- draft process, 32 NFL teams only paid attention to what Darnold did in one game.

They must've of...

But only the Jets were stupid enough to draft him after not only Cleveland passed on Sam but the Giants took a RUNNING BACK over him.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

They must've of...

But only the Jets were stupid enough to draft him after not only Cleveland passed on Sam but the Giants took a RUNNING BACK over him.

It was Mayfield or Baker. Those we're the QB's that we're going 1and 2. You freakin need your head examined, dude. All the scouting reports and draft analysis from that draft are readily available online. Every report noted his turnovers and flaws in his mechanics. He still by almost all accounts the best or second past QB, in that draft.

9 hours ago, StrawberryFields said:

If the Jets run it back with Sam next year I am done. Did you watch him play this season? What more do you need see?

Let some other team try and fix him. He is done here. 

I'm pretty sure nobody would care.

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

I don’t give a rats ass about year 1. Baker came into the NFL much more ready to start- he should have done better. Year he Started 3 more games so his game averages were all lower. You’re wrong.

You're a homer if you think that Baker Mayfield isn't better than Darnold.

The stats show it

The results show it

The eye test shows it

The only thing you can hold up to refute it is hope

• Upvote 1

The problem with the OP's argument is he assumes just adding a quality HC will make Sam a better QB. Sam worked all off season with Jordan Palmer along with Josh Allen . Sam's problem is not coaching or lack of talent around him. Sam's problem is between his ears , he has no ability to read and recognize NFL defenses. 

Its why most of the Jets opening drives are good , because they are scripted beforehand and Sam doesn't have to think , he's given the plays that will work against a defense out of the gate. When opponents adjust Sam is not adept at rolling through his progressions or audibling at the LOS to pick out mismatches.  Gase/Loggains share some blame here as well but there's too much of a pattern with Sam to believe his problem isn't his inability to read a defense. 

Baker sucks.  I agree with the OP, this is a perfect example of coaching and building around the QB.  They're also an example of using all resources to building the team, not strictly relying on the draft.  OBJ was a trade.  Hooper, Landy, Hunt, Conklin, Tretter,- were all FA's.  They drafted Willis, a TE, and WR's and Nick Chubb and they brought in the right coach who put together a stupid easy 1 read, play action offense that fits him perfect.

Josh Allen also was on the path of sucking.  What does Buffalo do?surround him with talent.  Trading for Diggs.  Signed John Brown, Cole Beasley, Mitch Morse, Daryl Williams all FA's. Drafted, Zach Moss, Devin Singletary, Gabe Davis, Cody Ford, Wyatt Teller, Dawson Knox, etc.  

Now go do this exercise with Sam Darnold.  And this truly isnt an effort to defend Sam but the gaps between him, Mayfield and Allen, werent that big this time last year.  Now, is grand canyon size and while Sam might just be a huge bust (most likely) you cant help but wonder because the bottom line is; coaching, talent and situation matter.