No worse than #2 pick locked in

QB1

58 minutes ago, bitonti said:

not really 

Centers are important, more important than guards but neither are as important or hard to find as tackle 

and it should be noted that "more important" is not relevant to just raw talent.

Quenton Nelson is "Just" a guard he's also an instant hall of famer that makes everyone around him better 

Sewell, besides being an excellent physical prospect is also the emotional leader of that offense / team 

Fields is a 1 read guy who can't even make that 1 read and Wilson is undersized with two bad shoulders 

or in other words "rich man's Geno" and "poor man's Chad" 

In all seriousness what gives with the emotional friend stuff.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Maybe

But I don’t have much confidence in Zach Wilson or Justin Fields being substantially better.

Build up the rest of the roster and see how it goes next season under what I assume will be a more competent HC than Adam Gase. This team isn’t competing for the playoffs for at least another 2-3 years anyway.

Nah.  I’m good.

5 minutes ago, JoePNYJ1 said:

You guys are all aholes.  Giving up on Sam, he is 23 years old for godsakes!   No weapons, no line, terrible coach.  I do not care if you are Johnnie Unitas or Peyton Manning you are not going to succeed in the NFL when your odds are stacked up that way against you.  PERIOD!  The issue is the front office from Mike Maccagnan to Joe Douglas (in a smaller sense) not providing adequate support for the kid. 

I still believe that the best solution is to build our offense around Sam and get a QB in here that will challenge him, whether it is in the draft or Free Agency.   

You can be young and bad. It happens all the time.

You need to stop giving Darnold the benefit of the doubt. He's been dropped into a bad situation - absolutely, but he's done zilch to improve said situation and in some ways made them much worse. Darnold isn't a franchise QB because you want him to be, he's a franchise QB when he performs like one. Right now - Darnold one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL and has been since the day he was drafted.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

So draft a vastly inferior prospect to Lawrence at #2 who probably doesn’t even have the upside of present day Sam Darnold?

I’d rather just take Sewell if we can’t trade back and push dickheads up and down the field every Sunday.

Sam Darnold sucks.  He has zero upside.  This franchise will never escape mediocrity.  They should embrace that.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

You can be young and bad. It happens all the time.

You need to stop giving Darnold the benefit of the doubt. He's been dropped into a bad situation - absolutely, but he's done zilch to improve said situation and in some ways made them much worse. Darnold isn't a franchise QB because you want him to be, he's a franchise QB when he performs like one. Right now - Darnold one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL and has been since the day he was drafted.

He is one of the worst starting QB's in the NFL for the reasons I stated.  The biggest reason is our fraud of a Coach who has a history of ruining QB's...see Ryan Tannehill.  And potential of throwing away another good player would be another blow to this dumpster fire of an organization run by two clueless owners...see Jamal Adams, Robbie Anderson, Leonard Williams, etc...  Throwing away players does not help build this football team.

7 minutes ago, JoePNYJ1 said:

He is one of the worst starting QB's in the NFL for the reasons I stated.  The biggest reason is our fraud of a Coach who has a history of ruining QB's...see Ryan Tannehill.  And potential of throwing away another good player would be another blow to this dumpster fire of an organization run by two clueless owners...see Jamal Adams, Robbie Anderson, Leonard Williams, etc...  Throwing away players does not help build this football team.

Explain why the corpse of Joe Flacco looked way better with the same team. Maybe Sam can be 'OK' if you put an overabundance of offensive talent around him, but shouldn't you aspire to be better than 'OK' at the QB position, especially since all of the rules have made it way easier to play QB and really benefit teams that have a top 5 QB?

Listen - it's a bitter pill to swallow to know you missed on your QB. I get that. Having some sort of cognitive dissonance about the situation does not help matters. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Explain why the corpse of Joe Flacco looked way better with the same team. Maybe Sam can be 'OK' if you put an overabundance of offensive talent around him, but shouldn't you aspire to be better than 'OK' at the QB position, especially since all of the rules have made it way easier to play QB and really benefit teams that have a top 5 QB?

Listen - it's a bitter pill to swallow to know you missed on your QB. I get that. Having some sort of cognitive dissonance about the situation does not help matters. 

Joe Flacco won ZERO games!  Plus Sam will be more than ok, even if he is good (not great) and that's what you need to win football games and get into the playoffs.  A coach that can run a system that can accommodate to our QB's skillset does wonders and you see it all over the league.  You think Josh Allen is a great QB **** no! but he has the right coaching staff and supporting cast around him to be a success.  

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Can't tell you how wrong you are about this . 

Fields played so poorly in the B1G championship game that Ohio state stopped throwing the football 

Think about how many studs that team has at WR 

It's 2020 and The coaches couldn't risk the forward pass 

I'm not sure a dude like that is drafted in Rd 1 let alone top 3. 

1 hour ago, morny said:

Fair enough if that’s what you feel. Personally I think both are being damaged by comparisons to Lawrence, and both look better coming out than Darnold did (who since had had three years of increasing awfulness).

If Joe Douglas passes on them for Darnold and they go on to be studs (and Darnold doesn’t, which seems the most likely scenario right now), and that’s him done here.

I'm the last person to defend Sam Darnold 

But watching fields last week was scary bad. And the BYU dude shoulders are already shot 

Desperation is not a good reason to pick a qb. It's how we got Sam in the first place 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fields played so poorly in the B1G championship game that Ohio state stopped throwing the football 

Think about how many studs that team has at WR 

It's 2020 and The coaches couldn't risk the forward pass 

I'm not sure a dude like that is drafted in Rd 1 let alone top 3. 

First off he hurt his hand/wrist , plus their RB ran for over 300 yards because NW was taking away the throw and blitzing heavily on 3rd downs. When you run for 300+ yards your QB stats will suffer.

Olave is probably the only real stud at WR and he was out for the NW game along with 20 other players.  

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I watched the highlights of that game and while Fields was bad, that second INT wasn't his fault. WR didn't break off the route where he was supposed to, Fields was throwing to a spot.

NU couldn't stop the run, why bother passing it? As the great Darrell Royal said, there are 3 things that can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad.

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

First off he hurt his hand/wrist 

I neglect to see the connection between a wrist injury and staring at targets / not making reads

And it doesn't matter 

Excuses are for Rd 2 not 2 overall 

Watching that game was a horror story every time he dropped back so the coaches changed the channel 

That's why the rb got 300. It became a 1940s offense because fields was that bad of a liability all day long 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I neglect to see the connection between a wrist injury and staring at targets / not making reads

And it doesn't matter 

Excuses are for Rd 2 not 2 overall 

Watching that game was a horror story every time he dropped back so the coaches changed the channel 

That's why the rb got 300. It became a 1940s offense because fields was that bad of a liability all day long 

Yep injuries don't matter , 21 players out for covid don't matter, not playing games in back to back weeks for months don't matter, other teams top defenses taking away the pass and basically daring OSU to run don't matter - as long as it fits your agenda that Fields is not  an NFL QB or worthy of being a #2 pick . If Fields was that bad why didn't NW stack the box with 10 men and force him to throw instead of getting ripped to shreds by the OSU run game.  The absurdity of some of these posts and analyses are entering bizarro land. 

What makes this so situation so disheartening is that once again when drafting 2 there is only one clear cut consensus player in the whole draft.  One!  No stud pass rusher like Nick Bosa or Chase Young to take the sting out of losing Lawrence.  No freak WR like Calvin Johnson to get pumped for.  It seems like picks 2-10 might as well be a crap shoot.   And it happens over and over to the Jets.

1995 Pick #1:  No QBs.  None worthy of the top pick.  We take a WR for the first and probably last time in the history of the draft. 

1996 Pick #1:  No QBs.  The one worthy of the spot decides he is returning to school.   Parcells, great coach but below average GM,  trades the rights to a hall of fame tackle for a linebacker who pans out (for another team) and a bunch of crappy picks.

Can go back to Lam Jones and Blair Thomas but since we got Joe Willy number one we seemed to be cursed in the fact that whatever top spot we have there always seems to be one less consensus great player available than we are are picking.  Even when we got QW he was at a much less premium position than Bosa who was selected one pick before.  Sooo frustrating as is rooting for my team to lose and even than somehow walking away disappointed.  

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yep injuries don't matter , 21 players out for covid don't matter, not playing games in back to back weeks for months don't matter, other teams top defenses taking away the pass and basically daring OSU to run don't matter - as long as it fits your agenda that Fields is not  an NFL QB or worthy of being a #2 pick . If Fields was that bad why didn't NW stack the box with 10 men and force him to throw instead of getting ripped to shreds by the OSU run game.  The absurdity of some of these posts and analyses are entering bizarro land. 

OK let's agree to disagree 

Or better yet 

50 bucks to the charity of the winners choice 

The over under is 3 

You win if fields goes 1 or 2

I mean, he's such a great prospect right this is easy money for your charity of choice 

4 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

What makes this so situation so disheartening is that once again when drafting 2 there is only one clear cut consensus player in the whole draft.  One!  No stud pass rusher like Nick Bosa or Chase Young to take the sting out of losing Lawrence.  No freak WR like Calvin Johnson to get pumped for.  It seems like picks 2-10 might as well be a crap shoot.   And it happens over and over to the Jets.

1995 Pick #1:  No QBs.  None worthy of the top pick.  We take a WR for the first and probably last time in the history of the draft. 

1996 Pick #1:  No QBs.  The one worthy of the spot decides he is returning to school.   Parcells, great coach but below average GM,  trades the rights to a hall of fame tackle for a linebacker who pans out (for another team) and a bunch of crappy picks.

Can go back to Lam Jones and Blair Thomas but since we got Joe Willy number one we seemed to be cursed in the fact that whatever top spot we have there always seems to be one less consensus great player available than we are are picking.  Even when we got QW he was at a much less premium position than Bosa who was selected one pick before.  Sooo frustrating as is rooting for my team to lose and even than somehow walking away disappointed.  

Penei Sewell is the clear cut number 2 player in the draft. There's no clear 3

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

OK let's agree to disagree 

Or better yet 

50 bucks to the charity of the winners choice 

The over under is 3 

You win if fields goes 1 or 2

I mean, he's such a great prospect right this is easy money for your charity of choice 

Why would I bet on something that's totally in the hands of the Jets organization, I may be an avid fan I'm not crazy.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Its Mark Sanchez all over again. Watch Douglas try to extend Darnold for a little bit of a bargain on the going rate and waste another three years on him.

You've got this backwards. Any QB who starts for the Jets over the next two to three years is wasting his time while JD builds the team out. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I’m sure this is where it’s headed, plus some bum FA like Trubisky, plus some rando 3rd rounder who will never get into a game

Fortunately we have the bum third rounder in Morgan, but I can see them, depending on the coach, way overpaying for a veteran insurance policy like Bridgewater or Garoppollo

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should just take the best receiver and let Darnold stay sunk or swim with the no-supporting-cast excuse ripped from him

Do what it takes to land Allen Robinson and Joe Thuney in FA and hopefully someone like Atlanta, Detroit, Carolina or even Dallas wants to move up for Fields/Wilson.

Move down into that 6-10 area and draft Pitts and grab a RB like Etienne or Harris with the Seattle 1st rounder or #34.

Robinson, Mims, Crowder, Pitts, Etienne...if Darnold can’t make a big leap with that kind of talent at the skills positions and an improved OL, then he truly is a lost cause.

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

But Fields has been 3 for over a year now. Fields and Wilson probably make the top 5 or 7 of anybody’s draft board. They are therefore worth the pick. 

Fields played so poorly last week he may have tanked his draft stock an entire round 

watch him in the CFB vs Clemson

NFL defenses are better than Clemson 

don't take my word for it - see for yourself

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fields played so poorly last week he may have tanked his draft stock an entire round 

watch him in the CFB vs Clemson

NFL defenses are better than Clemson 

don't take my word for it - see for yourself

I buy it. I’m very lukewarm on Fields right now but a good predraft process and he’ll stay in the top 10. Teams will have too much faith in his physical ability to let him drop. If Josh Allen went 10, Fields will go at least that early.

7 hours ago, yvj said:

Sam at the moment has shown his ceiling is game manger. We don't need to draft anyone who has a game manager ceiling. If anyone in this draft has a glimmer of star/superstar potential you pull the trigger.

Nope, he's not a game manager either.  He has 37 INTs and 20 fumbles in 36 starts.  Those are not numbers that portend a game manager future.

I thought his upside was Andy Dalton.  Now I think it might be Gardner Minshew.  And that might be an insult to Minshew.  Darnold is a QB3.