Bengals win last night was HUGE

IndianaJet

20 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

If you don't want Fields and would rather take Sewell last night was potentially game changing.

If the Bengals can beat the Texans next weekend (or pull out another miracle and beat the Ravens week 17) they would finish 4-11-1 and end up drafting in the 5 slot behind 4-12 Atlanta (remaining games Chiefs and Bucs) and 4-12 Carolina (remaining games Washington and Saints).

If you want Sewell over Fields, sitting at two we can start a bidding war between Atlanta and Carolina to trade up for Fields.  This would allow us to trade back a spot or two, pick up more picks and still take Sewell before the Bengals get to him.

Big big win for the Sewell guys.  Gotta pull hard for the Bengals @ Texans

According to Wiki he already plays for the Jets. 

• Haha 2

On 12/19/2020 at 5:01 PM, IndianaJet said:

Fields reminds me more of Geno Smith then a QB worthy of the #2 pick. 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fields played so poorly last week I'm not sure if he's a first Rd pick anymore

He looked like Geno Smith 

I don't disagree with this take. 

But I'm not the GMs for Atlanta, Carolina or any other team....and GMs fall in love with QBs.

• Upvote 2

Excellent point. I just wonder which way JD is leaning towards drafting a QB/ OL/WR if we stay at 2. Heck he may not even know until we hire the HC and then gives him some input. All I know is that JD’s phone is going to be ringing off the hook. The possible scenarios are endless.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Excellent point. I just wonder which way JD is leaning towards drafting a QB/ OL/WR if we stay at 2. Heck he may not even know until we hire the HC and then gives him some input. All I know is that JD’s phone is going to be ringing off the hook. The possible scenarios are endless.

IMO, The chances of JD staying at #2 are slim. There is no player available who is worthy of being the second overall pick and fills a position of need. You can not spend a #2 on Sewell and put him at RT, JD will trade out because he has so so many holes to fill.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

If you don't want Fields and would rather take Sewell last night was potentially game changing.

If the Bengals can beat the Texans next weekend (or pull out another miracle and beat the Ravens week 17) they would finish 4-11-1 and end up drafting in the 5 slot behind 4-12 Atlanta (remaining games Chiefs and Bucs) and 4-12 Carolina (remaining games Washington and Saints).

If you want Sewell over Fields, sitting at two we can start a bidding war between Atlanta and Carolina to trade up for Fields.  This would allow us to trade back a spot or two, pick up more picks and still take Sewell before the Bengals get to him.

The Jets already clinched the 2nd spot, why do we have to root for the Bengals next week?

The thing is, if a QB desperate team like the Jets want nothing to do with Fields then why would there be a bidding war for him everywhere else?

when the draft process shakes out I won’t be shocked if Zach Wilson is in the conversation at No 2...and if he is, we should take him 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fields played so poorly last week I'm not sure if he's a first Rd pick anymore

He looked like Geno Smith 

Eh.... number 2 pick sure, probably not. 

At this point though I still think he is going in the first though. If he lights up Clemson he will be immediately back into top 10 discussion (rightly or wrongly)

6 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

There's absolutely power in having two dominant bookend tackles. Not only to protect whoever will be the QB, but to make things really difficult for defenses when you have the option to run behind either one, and opposing pass rushers can't really have it easier on one side versus the other.

The only Jets team in recent memory that was worth a damn was one built around a great offensive line. This team needs Sewell, and a center who can help make calls at the line and has lateral mobility. Those two moves alone dramatically change the look of the offense in 2021.

The team has greater needs than overspending draft capital on a RT. In 3 years, Sewell will be demanding a trade because he can not make as much money as a RT than if he was a LT, or he will want the Jets to pay him LT money. It makes better sense to trade out, fill other holes and take the 4th or 5th best T in the draft to play RT. While I agree a line with Sewell at RT would be dominant, JD is building a team that can be successful year after year and Sewell at RT makes little sense in the long term rebuild of a perpetually successful team.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Jetsbb said:

We would never be able to sign both Becton and Sewell to second contracts. Why would we draft a guy we know we can only keep for 5 years?

I have to say I think I agree. Nothing against Sewell, but thats a lot of resources in the line. Not to say that it wouldnt be worth it for a while, it would be aweomse. But with guys like Chase, Smith, Waddle, etc.... a trade down and a legit #1 WR, hell a WR in the first rd which hasnt happened for us in nearly 20 years? It is time.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The team has greater needs than overspending draft capital on a RT. In 3 years, Sewell will be demanding a trade because he can not make as much money as a RT than if he was a LT, or he will want the Jets to pay him LT money. It makes better sense to trade out, fill other holes and take the 4th or 5th best T in the draft to play RT. While I agree a line with Sewell at RT would be dominant, JD is building a team that can be successful year after year and Sewell at RT makes little sense in the long term rebuild of a perpetually successful team.

I'm not basing decisions on pure speculation about Sewell's hypothetical contract demands 4 years from now (when he'll still be under contract and can be franchised beyond). I'm trying to build the best possible team now. And the best possible team is built in the trenches. At some point our fan base needs to learn this. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Read it way to fast the first time, great point!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I'm not basing decisions on pure speculation about Sewell's hypothetical contract demands 4 years from now (when he'll still be under contract and can be franchised beyond). I'm trying to build the best possible team now. And the best possible team is built in the trenches. At some point our fan base needs to learn this. 

Hey, I was screaming about Mac ignoring the O line (the largest starting position group) in the draft for years. I am all for drafting O linemen in the first 3 rounds. But, the GMs job is to build the whole team. Trading the #2 pick for more draft capital and taking a C and a  different RT in the first 3 rounds will still improve the line greatly. IMO, the Jets simply have too many holes to spend the #2 pick on a RT. However, I agree, the line would be dominant. It is reminiscent of the Jets using successive first round picks on LT Marvin Powell and RT Chris Ward in the mid 70s. The line was always good when anchored by those 2. Just like it was always good when anchored by Brick and Nick. I do see the wisdom in what you want to do, I just think there are other moves that fill more needs.

Speaking of needs --- how about the Jet LB corps? It may be the least talented position group in the entire NFL, Wouldn't JD be tempted to take Micah Parsons at 2 if he's not trading the pick because it fills a bigger need?

• Upvote 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

So what the entire NFL is doing it and encouraging it, haven't you seen the video screens in the end zones. 

Your right let's sign Vyncint Smith, Chris Hogan,Jeff Smith,Josh Malone,Demarios Thomas to win games here. 

The tok tik would be excusable if he did not fumble

He folded like a house of cards