Trade down and draft a QB off the second tier

Pointdexter

In 2016 the Eagles gave the Browns 2 first rounders, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to move up for Wentz. Take a package like that, Joe Douglas.

This is a reasonably deep QB pool in this year's draft. There will be potential gems available AFTER the 1st round. The Jets could trade down, aquire even more draft capital (a lot of it), and still land an intriguing QB to compete with Sam Darnold. I believe, with falling out of the top slot, this is becoming a much more likely strategy.

The candidates:

-Sam Ehlinger, Texas

-Brock Purdy, Iowa St

-Jamie Newman, WF 

-Ian Book

-Kellen Mond

In addition, Kyle Trask or Mac Jones may be available at the top of round 2.

Personally I love Ehlinger's game. Trask's accuracy and smarts is also very intriguing. Newman is a Cam Newton clone and may be in top 10 discussion if he didn't opt out at Georgia. Which of these guys would you like to see the Jets bring on to compete with Sam?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

There isn’t going to be a package available like that for the #2 pick.  At best, its probably going to be more like when the Jets traded 3 #2s to move up for Sam.  

It depends who the Jets are trading with. If it’s SF who’s currently in the 12 slot, the compensation would be huge.

• Upvote 1

I’m just happy that the fan base don’t make these decisions, because if they did we would have a team in 4 years where the;

- LT Is looking to get out because of the trash qb play and losing 

-A RT looking to get paid LT money because of his draft position/play

-overpay for Darnold and overlook ANOTHER young great QB because of stupid biases to Trevor Lawrence 

- a big name, overpaid idiot at head coach 

The fans would literally turn this team into Philadelphia or Min, or Chi - a middle team that will never go anywhere because they have no QB. 

The NFL is a QBs league, all you need is a top one to compete and anything is possible, the rule changes have changed this game and we need to catch up. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I’m just happy that the fan base don’t make these decisions, because if they did we would have a team in 4 years where the;

-overpay for Darnold and overlook ANOTHER young great QB because of stupid biases to Trevor Lawrence 

The fans would literally turn this team into Philadelphia or Min, or Chi - a middle team that will never go anywhere because they have no QB. 

The NFL is a QBs league, all you need is a top one to compete and anything is possible, the rule changes have changed this game and we need to catch up. 

The jets are already way worse than those teams.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

There are no teams directly behind the jets that need a qb.  A team doesn’t need to trade that high.  

Disagree, Carolina has new gm coming in, and strong rumors out of charlotte that they will move on from Bridgewater and draft a qb. Make no mistake , there will be alot of interest in number two pick, if Joe decides to trade it.

18 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I know I would HATE to be like the Eagles, who won a Superbowl 2 years ago. Doing what the Jets do is so much more preferable.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Name  team thats going to give up a kings ransom for the #2 pick. 

Teams are not going to make this mistake. 

You build your team through the NFL Draft and draft picks are a hot commodity. 

Define Kings ransom?. Its a qb league, if a team loves a qb there, they wont hesitate, we have 500 posts debating wilson and Fields, other teams will be doing the same...

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

JD already spent a 4th round pick on Morgan, how many of these guys do the Jets need?  

Seriously 

Lawrence was the grand prize. I want dick to do with the rest of the QB’s.

Build up the rest of the roster and let Darnold and Morgan compete in a legit open competition.

If neither is the guy, then at least the next young QB won’t walk into such an impossible situation a year or two down the line.

28 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

And there are only 5 top ones.  Then there are about 20 who are good but are interchangeable.

The game has changed....yes.  But you will spend MANY years losing trying to get THE guy in the top five, all the while have no talent around the team.  Then, you waste years trying to build talent once you get THE guy, and then the time spent losing kills THE guy's confidence and drive (cough Sam, cough fill in the blank with many examples from around the league cough).

Joe Douglas watched a journeyman QB win-out for his Eagles, while having a great team around him.  He might very well decide, now that Trevor is probably out of the picture, to sell that pick to the highest bidder and keep building a great team until 'A' guy comes along who can be good enough to run a great team.  

55 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm not comfortable taking a QB that low.  If Douglas and the new HC want to move on
from Darnold I would want to stay in the top 10 and pick Fields, Wilson or Lance 

this is the truth.  If you are going to move on from sam darnold, then you have to do it with a premium choice.  This franchise is in rough enough shape, no need to hitch our wagons to subpar prospects.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

In 2016 the Eagles gave the Browns 2 first rounders, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to move up for Wentz. Take a package like that, Joe Douglas.

This is a reasonably deep QB pool in this year's draft. There will be potential gems available AFTER the 1st round. The Jets could trade down, aquire even more draft capital (a lot of it), and still land an intriguing QB to compete with Sam Darnold. I believe, with falling out of the top slot, this is becoming a much more likely strategy.

The candidates:

-Sam Ehlinger, Texas

-Brock Purdy, Iowa St

-Jamie Newman, WF 

-Ian Book

-Kellen Mond

Personally I love Ehlinger's game. Trask's accuracy and smarts is also very intriguing. Newman is a Cam Newton clone and may be in top 10 discussion if he didn't opt out at Georgia. Which of these guys would you like to see the Jets bring on to compete with Sam?

What is the point. Why would you not do that in any other year. This draft is loaded at skill positions and we  an get more help from another OL in the second round than the next Petty. 

10 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Great, but we both know Douglas gets a piece of Darnold's next contract and no longer has a gun to his head so it's moot.

Even if he did the value doesn’t work. Fields maybe played himself out of the first, probably out of the top ten, certainly out of the top two. I actually like Wilson, but I can’t see him at two either, and I feel pretty confident in saying he’ll be gone by the Adams pick. 

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Even if he did the value doesn’t work. Fields maybe played himself out of the first, probably out of the top ten, certainly out of the top two. I actually like Wilson, but I can’t see him at two either, and I feel pretty confident in saying he’ll be gone by the Adams pick. 

ultimately when the whole predraft process shakes out, i think wilson will emerge as the clear #2 qb in the draft.  but that won't necessarily mean he's worth taking at 2 though.  maybe maybe not.  

53 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Name  team thats going to give up a kings ransom for the #2 pick. 

Teams are not going to make this mistake. 

You build your team through the NFL Draft and draft picks are a hot commodity. 

Washington, Carolina or San Francisco could possibly be that team.

Don't discount Cincinnati either.  Rumor has it that they want Sewell and if the Jets show interest they could be willing to trade.

46 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How do you find out if one of them “works” if they don’t play?   

Not all of them will....You draft one, but if he can't get on the field because he can't beat out the guys in front of him, then he gets put on the heap with the rest of them.

It's that simple.  But you have to keep drafting them until you get one. 

21 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Lawrence was the gun. The Johnsons don't want to spend money. Douglas doesn't care if the team wins. Darnold is the quarterback next year for sure. Now they're going to try to figure out how to get away with keeping Gase.

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

The candidates:

-Sam Ehlinger, Texas

-Brock Purdy, Iowa St

-Jamie Newman, WF 

-Ian Book

-Kellen Mond

Don’t we already got one of those from last year?