Trade down and draft a QB off the second tier

Pointdexter

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Don’t we already got one of those from last year? 

Heres where it gets interesting. 

TL is the obvious front runner I wanted him to be a NY Jet. (still have hope) 

Upon further review he is surrounded by an awful lot of talent. 

We do have  QBJames Morgan drafted last year. 

What about Mac Jones Alabama is undefeated and he is also surrounded by a lot of talent. 

Why does anyone want to go this route?

Hell, if Jacksonville does in fact lose out and wind up with Lawrence, then I’d rather just trade a 4th round pick for Minshew.

The guy has a 3:1 TD/INT ratio two years into his career and could end up being a quality starter with some help around him.

IDK, but a Darnold/Minshew/Morgan QB competition with an improved all-around roster and a new HC doesn’t sound so terrible to me.

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

In 2016 the Eagles gave the Browns 2 first rounders, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to move up for Wentz. Take a package like that, Joe Douglas.

This is a reasonably deep QB pool in this year's draft. There will be potential gems available AFTER the 1st round. The Jets could trade down, aquire even more draft capital (a lot of it), and still land an intriguing QB to compete with Sam Darnold. I believe, with falling out of the top slot, this is becoming a much more likely strategy.

The candidates:

-Sam Ehlinger, Texas

-Brock Purdy, Iowa St

-Jamie Newman, WF 

-Ian Book

-Kellen Mond

Have you ever watched mond play?

The fact that you want him makes me wonder about your qb taste.

every year a number of qbs get talked up by the clowns like kiper and those at espn.  as i see it (and i know nothing about college football) the only guy everyone is gushing about is lawrence.  kind of scary, actually.  after him, there doesn't appear to be a clear second choice.  even so, the best option might be for the jets to trade back a bit or go for a skill position player on defense as well as offense. use the second first round and first second round to fill out the oline or even wr.  get that oline squared away.  then they can have a number of good options for qb.  who knows, maybe morgan can be the guy.  there's always a guy like minshew who comes out of nowhere.  

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not all of them will....You draft one, but if he can't get on the field because he can't beat out the guys in front of him, then he gets put on the heap with the rest of them.

It's that simple.  But you have to keep drafting them until you get one. 

So cut Morgan and draft another? 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I have Sam Ehlinger as a backup in Madden. He's pretty good. 80 speed, solid arm, pretty accurate. 

Something to consider...

They may have gotten that one wrong because most of the knock on Ehlinger is that he has a below average arm and his accuracy is all over the place.  Most people I've talked to said you'd have to surround him with Big WR's with Large Catch radius' for him to have a chance at success in the NFL.  Guys a competitor no doubt but he screams classic good in college not so good in the pro's.  As a backup, sure, but no where near the player we need if we're thinking of taking a QB this draft. 

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

They may have gotten that one wrong because most of the knock on Ehlinger is that he has a below average arm and his accuracy is all over the place.  Most people I've talked to said you'd have to surround him with Big WR's with Large Catch radius' for him to have a chance at success in the NFL.  Guys a competitor no doubt but he screams classic good in college not so good in the pro's.  As a backup, sure, but no where near the player we need if we're thinking of taking a QB this draft. 

Agreed.

I was kidding about the Madden comparison. Although he's decent in the game. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

In 2016 the Eagles gave the Browns 2 first rounders, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to move up for Wentz. Take a package like that, Joe Douglas.

This is a reasonably deep QB pool in this year's draft. There will be potential gems available AFTER the 1st round. The Jets could trade down, aquire even more draft capital (a lot of it), and still land an intriguing QB to compete with Sam Darnold. I believe, with falling out of the top slot, this is becoming a much more likely strategy.

The candidates:

-Sam Ehlinger, Texas

-Brock Purdy, Iowa St

-Jamie Newman, WF 

-Ian Book

-Kellen Mond

In addition, Kyle Trask or Mac Jones may be available at the top of round 2.

Personally I love Ehlinger's game. Trask's accuracy and smarts is also very intriguing. Newman is a Cam Newton clone and may be in top 10 discussion if he didn't opt out at Georgia. Which of these guys would you like to see the Jets bring on to compete with Sam?

Ian Book ????? 

214A3EDA-46C0-4CF7-A594-87ACBF980D6C.jpeg

53 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fields vs Lawrence 

What if Fields outplays Lawrence and Ohio St beats Clemson. 

How will that effect the #1 and #2 pick. 

If that happens it will be chalked up to Trevor having a bad hair day. Trevor will go 1 and Fields will go 2. 

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Lawrence was the gun. The Johnsons don't want to spend money. Douglas doesn't care if the team wins. Darnold is the quarterback next year for sure. Now they're going to try to figure out how to get away with keeping Gase.

Not sure what you mean by that  - keeping Darnold means they'll spend more money on a new contract. Drafting a QB at #2 starts over with rookie slotted contracts . 

57 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fields vs Lawrence 

What if Fields outplays Lawrence and Ohio St beats Clemson. 

How will that effect the #1 and #2 pick. 

Lawrence fanboys will say its only 1 game like last year's national championship game. The infatuation with Lawrence is off the charts because the media has trumped him up to be the golden haired messiah. The difference between Trevor and Fields is very small but the hype train on this guy is almost Tebowesque,

So if we keep Darnold and he has a good not great year,  do you give him 25-30 million he is going to want?  That's what people are over looking,  Not only is Trevor L  elite and Better then Darnold he would have been under rookie deal,  giving Jets 20 million in cap space to add wrs,  pass rushers etc .  Bottom line let's hope Bears players go to a strip club, and dancers have covid.   What gets me mad is we wasted a 4th round pick on Morgan had perfect perfect! Situation for him to play last 3 games , No we let  A QB that has done nothing for 3 years  one of the top interception leaders in that time. Who knows if they wins their is a chance he stays go out and rally a win!!! Please stop if only he had wrs and o line, great qbs make average wr look great and online has not been that bad this year.  

4 hours ago, KRL said:

I'm not comfortable taking a QB that low.  If Douglas and the new HC want to move on
from Darnold I would want to stay in the top 10 and pick Fields, Wilson or Lance 

Exactly, not comfortable able with grabbing a QB with less talent than what we have just to make a change.  I still think that Fields can be a very good or better QB, he has a gun and deep ball accuracy that you look for along with the ability to run.  He needs work but so do most if not all QBs and defiantly the others that will go lower in the draft

5 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

The candidates:

-Sam Ehlinger, Texas

-Brock Purdy, Iowa St

-Jamie Newman, WF 

-Ian Book

-Kellen Mond

In addition, Kyle Trask or Mac Jones may be available at the top of round 2.

Personally I love Ehlinger's game. Trask's accuracy and smarts is also very intriguing. Newman is a Cam Newton clone and may be in top 10 discussion if he didn't opt out at Georgia. Which of these guys would you like to see the Jets bring on to compete with Sam?

OK on Trask and Jones at the top of round 2 - the other names on the list - NO WAY.

4 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Morgan > Darnold

Yeah. Ok. Right. 

Is that why even @ 1-13 this guy can't sniff getting off the practice field while just about every rookie QB drafted before and after him has had an opportunity to play this year?

He's just like Hackenberg; another Jag who can't get off the practice field. 

50 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So how long do you give these guys?  

I would play Morgan the last game personally.  See what he has.  Then, give him another off-season.  I would keep Darnold for another year, bring in a QB next draft, and let the three of them fight it out.  Worst man standing is cut.