Preferred direction of the franchise going forward?

Preferred direction of the franchise going forward?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Bring in Harbaugh, keep Darnold, build a dominant rushing attack and a good defense (1980's football)
    • Draft Fields, jettison Sam, bring in Daboll or Greg Roman as HC, shift offense towards read-option/running quarterback (embrace modernity)
    • Take a chance on Joe Brady as HC, roll with Darnold another year, prioritize receivers and offensive line in FA & the draft, and see if there's anything to salvage with with #14 (I'm talking throw 'Tannenbaum money' at Allen Robinson, Joe Thuney and draft Jamar Chase or DeVonta Smith early)
    • Other; elaborate below

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’d prefer they fold the whole franchise, but since that won’t happen, they should just do what I suggested the other day: fully embrace who they are, and go full “Jets”.

Marvin Lewis - Head Coach 

Hue Jackson - Offensive Coordinator

Mike Nolan - Defensive Coordinator

2nd overall pick:  Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, or any other QB prospect undeserving of the draft slot.

Seattle pick: Jevon Holland.  We need another Safety.

Free Agents:  Breshad Perriman and Corey Davis.  All other players took offers from somewhere else.  Mostly to Jacksonville, who was able to land Matt Campbell and Trevor Lawrence.

Replace Mike Nolan with Rob Ryan and take Trey Lance out of your list of potential 2nd overall picks and I think you've nailed it!

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Replace Mike Nolan with Rob Ryan and take Trey Lance out of your list of potential 2nd overall picks and I think you've nailed it!

Why?  Taking a QB who hasn’t played football in almost a full year and has very limited playing time, making him extremely raw, at #2 overall is the ultimate “Jets” move.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Do nothing.

Without Lawrence, the Jets have no upgrade at franchise quarterback and no ability to upgrade at head coach.

So we give Sam and Adam another year together, but this time with a new OC, a great OL, and a great assortment of offensive playmakers and see what that looks like.

Best case, we didn't blow the 2018 draft and found a great head coach, we are back on track, it's as if 2020 never happened.

Worst case, we have another weak season and are in position to find a better QB than Fields and attract a good head coach with another strong JD draft to show for it.

SAR I

Wow, I actually prefer the two joke scenarios outlined above with Marvin Lewis or Rex Ryan to this one. 

... Are you, by chance, an heir to a large pharmaceutical and medical supply company?

Would explain a lot.

Don't know on Coach.  Could be convinced on a number of candidates. 

Not a fan of the "modern" option offense or run-first-focused QB's, I will admit.

Likely keep Darnold, not (yet) sold on the non-T.L. options in the first round.

No matter what, focus on building elite O-Line, WR, RB, TE talent via Draft (primarily)

Defense via Free Agency (primarily) - Defense is a secondary concern

Stay young.  No old men.

Spend the cap space on long-term assets only.  

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Why?  Taking a QB who hasn’t played football in almost a full year and has very limited playing time, making him extremely raw, at #2 overall is the ultimate “Jets” move.

Hmm, you make a good point but I see major upside there.  Also, I think draft publications have him pretty high up there.  For example, PFF has him at #6.  CBSSports has him #12.   

When a QB has those kind of rankings, it's certainly possible for a team to jump at him in the top 5.  I might be wrong on this but wasn't Mahomes considered a mid-1st round talent?  I remember wanting us to draft Mahomes but also thinking at the time that we can't draft him that high (#6) and pass up a talent like Jamal Adams (based on what I had read about Jamal). 

Bottom line, when a QB has seriously high upside, it has to at least be a consideration.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-big-board-top-100-prospects-2021-nfl-draft

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Wow, I actually prefer the two joke scenarios outlined above with Marvin Lewis or Rex Ryan to this one. 

... Are you, by chance, an heir to a large pharmaceutical and medical supply company?

Would explain a lot.

Can you private message me what that joke means?  (Since I don't want to get this thread locked)

I can't endorse any plan that entails bringing Darnold back as the unquestioned starter. To me, regardless of whether you think he is salvageable or not, he simply hasn't earned that. 

I am on record saying that I want to move on from Sam, but if I did keep him, I'd have to bring in a vet to compete with him (and possibly Morgan) for the starting job

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I’d prefer they fold the whole franchise, but since that won’t happen, they should just do what I suggested the other day: fully embrace who they are, and go full “Jets”.

Marvin Lewis - Head Coach 

Hue Jackson - Offensive Coordinator

Mike Nolan - Defensive Coordinator

2nd overall pick:  Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, or any other QB prospect undeserving of the draft slot.

Seattle pick: Jevon Holland.  We need another Safety.

Free Agents:  Breshad Perriman and Corey Davis.  All other players took offers from somewhere else.  Mostly to Jacksonville, who was able to land Matt Campbell and Trevor Lawrence.

I know I already replied to this but how about a RB at #2 overall.  Those are always great investments!

Other

Draft Fields (If drafting Wilson, just keep Sam......It is like trading a green Ford Pinto in, for a Blue one)

Keep Gase, lets see if Darnold just took the air out of the team like Wentz does. Hurts and Foles displayed, the QB makes a world of difference. I don't know man.....I feel like letting a guy go who had something to do with that crazy DEN offensive from 2013........

1 hour ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Maybe no Lawrence. The Jaguars could still win another game.

The Colts could rest their starters' vs Jax with a playoff berth sewed up.

The Colts aren't guaranteed to have a playoff berth locked in by week 17, they first have to beat the Steelers, I believe, and it may also depend on one or two other teams losing.

Even if they do, I expect them to force their will upon us like @The Crusher forces his will upon a plate of pork chops.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Don't know on Coach.  Could be convinced on a number of candidates. 

Not a fan of the "modern" option offense or run-first-focused QB's, I will admit.

Likely keep Darnold, not (yet) sold on the non-T.L. options in the first round.

No matter what, focus on building elite O-Line, WR, RB, TE talent via Draft (primarily)

Defense via Free Agency (primarily) - Defense is a secondary concern

Stay young.  No old men.

Spend the cap space on long-term assets only.  

earlier I was lazy and just picked the fields option cos i didnt wanan splain.

Am thinking they gotta go young QB...  whooda they like? Treyt/Zach/Fields.

As above a numner of HC candidate are cool.

My honest, not Sassy Sally, finally coming back down to Earth, answer is this:

Head Coach:  I’m not going to personally like this, but my honest guess is Greg Roman will be hired.  Joe Brady goes to Houston.  Brian Daboll goes to Jacksonville.  Matt Campbell and Harbaugh stay in college.  Pat Fitzgerald goes to Chicago.

Trade Sam and a conditional 3rd (that can become a 2nd) to Detroit for Matthew Stafford.

Sign Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay, preferably Robinson, keep Crowder, throw decent money at Matt Judon.  Make a splash and lock up Joe Thuney and Scherff. This gives Stafford plenty to work with on offense, including an OL he’s never had.

2OA: Trade down with Carolina, get a 3rd first round pick for next year, take Kyle Pitts and complete the offensive makeover.  A backfield of Josh Adams, Ty Johnson, and LaMical Perine is more than enough for RB.  If you disagree, take one in the later rounds.  Most importantly, this trade gets you a fantastic player that Stafford can utilize, and massive draft capital for the foreseeable future.

Seattle pick:  Best available EDGE or CB.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only 2 options I'll support are those where Sam Darnold is jettisoned OR the Jets franchise is deactivated by the league.  

Bringing back Darnold as the starter would be as bad as bringing back Adam Gase as HC.  Don't @ me.  

I get moving on from Sam, but I don't see it quite as necessary as moving on from Gase. 

I'd prefer they both go, but I can live with Darnold for another year. If Gase comes back, we're a joke. 

5 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

The Colts aren't guaranteed to have a playoff berth locked in by week 17, they first have to beat the Steelers, I believe, and it may also depend on one or two other teams losing.

Even if they do, I expect them to force their will upon us like @The Crusher forces his will upon a plate of pork chops.

The Colts can clinch next game if the chips fall right.

Crusher deals with whole hogs. Chops are like wings.

• Haha 1

How many of the elite NFL teams didn't draft their QB and obtained him some other way?

Of the recently successful teams I can think of a few - the Saints (Brees came from the Chargers), the 49ers getting to the SB with Garoppolo (from NE), the Titans with Ryan Tannehill, and a quasi-successful Vikings team that won a playoff game last year after signing Cousins. It's not easy or ideal but there are other ways to get a QB besides drafting one in the Top 2.

IF the Jets went the route of keeping Darnold, upgrading the Head Coach, and using all their Draft and Free Agency capital to upgrade numerous key positions (OG Thuney, WR Robinson, drafting a stud OT, WR and RB) then it's not impossible to think they could find a different QB in 2021 or 2022 if Darnold doesn't work out.  Either by trading two 1st round picks for a veteran or to move up in the Draft.

I'm leaning towards that 3rd option.

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What about taking the other potentially great QB named Lance in this draft?  Lance Harbor!

In all seriousness, who are the best QB evaluators out there in the media, on Twitter, etc.?  Are there any guys will consistently good track records (ex. calling for Allen and Lamar at the top of the 2018 Draft, calling for Mahomes and Watson over Trubisky, etc.)?

I'd be interested in seeing what those guys are saying about the QBs not named Lawrence this year.  How do they stack Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones, etc.?