Trey Lance

PS17

I haven't seen any discussion on him recently, only Fields and Wilson. Lance looks like the second best QB in the draft to me. He's got ideal size, a very good arm, quick release, and playmaking ability as a runner. He threw 28 TDs and 0 interceptions in 2019. I think we're gonna see him vault up draft boards after the combine. If we do go QB at 2, this might be the guy. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

2 seems to high for him 

id trade down with Cinci 

I posted that same idea in another thread.  That's the beauty of where we sit in the draft (I mean, I'd rather pick 1st overall of course).  We can trade down 1 spot to a team like Cincy who definitely wants the LT.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's a "dare to be great" type of pick in my opinion if that makes sense.

Great ability, but a project. Big time arm, and seems to be a good decision maker. He also has great ability to run with the ball. But NDSU is a run heavy program.

He's going in the 1st round. It just depends on who takes the chance on him. 

Exactly. I’d rather swing for the fences with someone like Lance. Trade Darnold, sign a bridge starting QB for a year and have Lance take over the following year. 

• Upvote 2

15. New England Patriots: QB Mac Jones, Alabama
Bill Belichick tabs his quarterback of the future. Jones' deep ball is a thing of beauty, and he is more agile in the pocket than given credit for. In fact, you could argue he shows a lot of the traits with which Jimmy Garoppolo intrigued the Patriots early in his career. A younger, cheaper and potentially better version of a quarterback this front office loved.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

15. New England Patriots: QB Mac Jones, Alabama
Bill Belichick tabs his quarterback of the future. Jones' deep ball is a thing of beauty, and he is more agile in the pocket than given credit for. In fact, you could argue he shows a lot of the traits with which Jimmy Garoppolo intrigued the Patriots early in his career. A younger, cheaper and potentially better version of a quarterback this front office loved.

Jimmy G stinks though.  

• Upvote 1

And you guys thought Sam lacked experience coming out of college? lol

This guy has a total of only 18 college games played and has played against absolute trash competition such as...

Screenshot_20201222-142630.thumb.png.eaca43c6d7885a8e9f4a22cb5c024869.png

And here in 2020 he's only played 1 game and looked absolutely atrocious against CENTRAL FREAKING ARKANSAS while only going 15/30 (50%), 149 passing yards 2 TDs/1 INT and took 3 sacks. 

Yuck. 

He also sucked in High School with only 10 games played as only a 3 star recruit...

I wouldn't touch this ESPN overhyped PROJECT until no earlier than the 3rd or 4th round. 

Just the thought of going from Trevor Lawrence to "TREY LANCE" is enough to make me gag and throw up.

giphy.gif.9d84bec58cbf02cecc00cf58584edde5.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And you guys thought Sam lacked experience coming out of college? lol

This guy has a total of only 18 college games played and has played against absolute trash competition such as...

Screenshot_20201222-142630.thumb.png.eaca43c6d7885a8e9f4a22cb5c024869.png

And here in 2020 he's only played 1 game and looked absolutely atrocious against CENTRAL FREAKING ARKANSAS while only going 15/30 (50%), 149 passing yards 2 TDs/1 INT and took 3 sacks. 

Yuck. 

He also sucked in High School with only 10 games played as only a 3 star recruit...

I wouldn't touch this ESPN overhyped PROJECT until no earlier than the 3rd or 4th round. 

Just the thought of going from Trevor Lawrence to "TREY LANCE" is enough to make me gag and throw up.

giphy.gif.9d84bec58cbf02cecc00cf58584edde5.gif

Yeah def a project, tools and athleticism are there but he would be a 2-3 year project for an offensive minded coach.

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We can potentially give Sam next year as the starter and figure it out from there, no?

That's an option but it's really high-risk. The guy started 1 year at Divison 2 football. That's a LOT of catch up. To be honest, I just don't trust the Jets' ability to nurture QB talent. 

• Upvote 1

He would be great in the pros, because he will most likely go later, to a good team. I actually like Dillion and Fields the most of current QBs, but Dill is a sophomore. Trey seems a little raw, but could be one of those guys who comes out of nowhere. Aka Josh Allen.

Trey misses some crazy easy passes that makes you go "Huh."

Then he hits some great ones.

25 minutes ago, QB1 said:

2 seems to high for him 

id trade down with Cinci 

Actually great point, JD puts out the smoke screen that OT Sewell is the pick to have the book ends for Darnold, which everyone would believe due to JD's affinity for Olineman, and if trading down 1 slot (assuming it stays that way) gets us even another 2nd rounder or even more, then we take the QB of our choice at 3 and start looking for teams that want Darnold for another 2nd rounder. This gets us 2 additional 2nd rounders for in essence trading down 1 slot to get the QB we wanted anyway, and then trading Darnold a QB we didn't plan to keep. Unless JD still feels really high on Darnold which changes that whole plan around I just stated.

4 minutes ago, GothamLurker said:

Trey seems a little raw, but could be one of those guys who comes out of nowhere. Aka Josh Allen.

A little raw? That's an understatement. There's never been a QB prospect as RAW as Trey Lance; ever. 

Lance: 10 H.S games + 18 college games = 28 games of QB experience (outside of little league). 

J. Allen: 23 H.S games + 27 college games = 50 games of QB experience (outside of little league). 

To draft Trey Lance is to draft an absolute project; I'd much rather build around Sam Darnold (as bad as that pains me to say). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

A little raw? That's an understatement. There's never been a QB prospect as RAW as Trey Lance; ever. 

Lance: 10 H.S games + 18 college games = 28 games of QB experience (outside of little league). 

J. Allen: 23 H.S games + 27 college games = 50 games of QB experience (outside of little league). 

To draft Trey Lance is to draft an absolute project; I'd much rather build around Sam Darnold (as bad as that pains me to say). 

I agree, he is pretty damn raw lol.

Would still take him over Sam, because he is an unknown, and Sam is a known bad QB.

30 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yuck. 

I'm starting to be convinced.  lol

• Haha 2

Lance needs experience, IF he was really concerned with his development as a QB he would transfer to a bigger program and play another year in college.  I know he is being “mocked” in the first round right now, but I think when NFL evaluators take a hard look at him and look at his experience, they won’t be so inclined to take him very high.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm starting to be convinced.  lol

PS your Avatar is disgusting. 

Arch Manning as a rich and spoiled Manning kid born with a silver spoon ? who will never agree play for our Jets. 

He'll pull an uncle Peyton and return to school in order to avoid the Jets like the black plague and he'll also pull an uncle Eli and force/demand a trade; before ever playing for the NEW YORK Jets. 

So you might as well give up your Arch Manning dream before you're letdown ?

(he also stinks as a HS QB in comparison to Trevor Lawrence). 

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

PS your Avatar is disgusting. 

Arch Manning as a rich and spoiled Manning kid born with a silver spoon ? who will never agree play for our Jets. 

He'll pull an uncle Peyton and return to school in order to avoid the Jets like the black plague and he'll also pull an uncle Eli and force/demand a trade; before ever playing for the NEW YORK Jets. 

So you might as well give up your Arch Manning dream before you're letdown ?

(he also stinks as a HS QB in comparison to Trevor Lawrence). 

I don't have an Arch Manning dream.  It's symbolism.  

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I haven't seen any discussion on him recently, only Fields and Wilson. Lance looks like the second best QB in the draft to me. He's got ideal size, a very good arm, quick release, and playmaking ability as a runner. He threw 28 TDs and 0 interceptions in 2019. I think we're gonna see him vault up draft boards after the combine. If we do go QB at 2, this might be the guy. 

Thanks PS17 ! Haven't seen any film on Lance in 2019 till now. Impressive but he strikes me as more runner than thrower. I saw the NDSU / Central Arkansas game and he was less than impressive as a passer. Around 50% in that game and they are 1AA. Right now I would think he's in the race for the #3 QB taken. I personally wouldn't take him at #2 overall but hey who knows. Could be another Mahomes.