Bechton and McGovern statements vs. the Fans

JoePNYJ1

While I understand that the players jobs are to go out there and give it 120% and try to win at all costs, they also need to understand us as Jet fans.  Tanking was the only option for this team to get a legitimate generational talent like Trevor Lawrence.  Going to social media and calling us fans couch potatoes and not true fans is not the right thing to do and will just piss people off.  If Joe Douglas wants to build a positive culture here, he needs to address this immediately with both players and have them issue an apology.  We have suffered through this sh*t long enough along with the dumpster fire that is this organization.  Bechton is still a kid at 21 but McGovern is older and should know better.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, SpankyJohnson said:

They should apologize. Fans are the reason they get their million dollar salaries. 

Exactly.  Could have been a lot more professional with their tweets.  McGovern really bothers me most because this guy has underperformed his contract.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

The Players should know, regardless of age, to not attack their own fans.

Even when they, the players, are 100% right.  As in this case.

They are....in a players sense.  But not controlling your emotions and making stupid comments is a problem.

25 minutes ago, JoePNYJ1 said:

While I understand that the players jobs are to go out there and give it 120% and try to win at all costs, they also need to understand us as Jet fans.  Tanking was the only option for this team to get a legitimate generational talent like Trevor Lawrence.  Going to social media and calling us fans couch potatoes and not true fans is not the right thing to do and will just piss people off.  If Joe Douglas wants to build a positive culture here, he needs to address this immediately with both players and have them issue an apology.  We have suffered through this sh*t long enough along with the dumpster fire that is this organization.  Bechton is still a kid at 21 but McGovern is older and should know better.   

Becton was only born in 1999. 

The same year us fake fans watched our QB in Vinny tear his ACL week 1. 

Becton wasn't even born yet while us fake fans became heartbroken @ Denver 1998 AFC Championship Game while Elway and T.D came roaring back with a come from behind victory. 

But yet he has the nerve to call us fake fans while he's getting paid $4M per season in order to talk down on us real fans? 

And he has a loser mentality to celebrate 1-13 as if he just won the SB or something? This guy wasn't even yet born when Barry Sanders had too much pride to celebrate a TD but yet this kid is celebrating 1-13 as if he just won a SB? That's disgusting. 

I wonder if he also celebrated Louisville's 2-10 losing season of 2018? 

If he doesn't issue an apology to our loyal and passionate fan base well then I couldn't care less if he ends up a future HOF player I hope us fake and/or non real Jet fans never place a single vote on him and his loser mentality for the Pro Bowl. 

And I hope we draft Sewell if we lose out on Lawrence and move him over to RT because Penei Sewell is the greatest LT Prospect since dating back to Orlando Pace and is a much better pass protector than Becton could ever become (he's a better mauler and road grader in the run game) and has already allowed 6 sacks this year. 

Let's see how much of a real Jet fan Becton becomes once he loses out on LT bonuses ($$$$) while playing second fiddle to Sewell who's then labeled NFL Franchise LT. 

Let's see how much of a Real Jets fan Becton becomes when he doesn't pull a Tom Brady and doesn't agree to play for much less come Free Agency when he refuses to take a hometown discount @ RT...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Players and fans will obviously never agree on wanting to lose on purpose. They need to put good tape out, it’s their livelihood. No big deal, Becton is happy he got his first NFL win. Oh well. It’s your problem if you are getting worked up over that 

I get what your saying and maybe its me being a disgruntled fan right now.  I get Bechton he is 21, he will learn hopefully to use caution with social media.  It's McGovern that aggravates me the most...guy has done very little to earn his contract and he has nothing better to do then rip the fanbase.  Thats not a way to earn a good rep no matter what team you are on.

Wow, some of the takes here are extreme!  Is it surprising that he's unhappy that Jets fans are rooting for him to lose?  Sure, he shouldn't have said anything, but it would be a million times worse if he said "yeah, I want to lose too" or "I totally get it, Darnold sucks, we need to get TL in here."

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The customer is always right. They should concentrate on trying to win because clearly they suck. We only started rooting for the #1 pick once this season was clearly lost due to their efforts as opposed to what we as fans root for.

Are  you suggesting that this team is 1-13 because of Quinnen? That seems like a rather ignorant comment. 

The team was bad, because the organization put a crappy product on the field. That's not the fault of the individual players. It would be like going up to Joe Flacco and yelling at him "Why can't you be like Mahomes!?!". 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Wow, some of the takes here are extreme!  Is it surprising that he's unhappy that Jets fans are rooting for him to lose?  Sure, he shouldn't have said anything, but it would be a million times worse if he said "yeah, I want to lose too" or "I totally get it, Darnold sucks, we need to get TL in here."

Exactly.

What do you think JJ Watt or Aaron Donald would say in that situation? 

Fans can be angry that we lost while at the same time the players can be frustrated that the fans were rooting for them to lose without anyone, on either side, because jerks. 

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, they should have just kept the mouths shut or blown off the question.  I live in Jax, Miles Jack was asked that question the other day and I thought he answered it perfectly, he basically said,; "We are trying to win every time we take that field.  We're going all out for each other, the guys in the locker-room, the work we've put in this year and for our future.  Losing weighs on you.  That said, I totally understand where the fans are coming from".  Respect to Miles Jack, that's a man who gets it.  

The bottom line is, these 2 dudes just got here and would leave the Jets in a heartbeat for a better contract but guess who will still be here?  Fans.  And the reason we're rooting for losses is because this team, this year, is terrible.  Has nothing do with the past transgressions of this team.  Becton and McGovern and the 2020 NY Jets are the reason fans are rooting for losses.  Nobody was coming into this season saying Tank for Trevor. We didnt want to suck.  I dont know about you but I would have preferred to win the Super Bowl but instead, modestly, we were all hopeful we could build of the strong finish and that Sam Darnold would take the next step.  Yet, they were, 0-13 so as a fan, what choice do we have at that point?  We're looking to next year and beyond.  The season is over, does anyone really feel better because of that win suddenly?  Ofcourse not.  There is no building off this and they have to know that sh*t. 

And of all 2 players to say this, they should want the #1 overall the most!!!  What's better for your career???$$$  Blocking for Sam Darnold or Trevor Lawrence?

I agree that he "gets it" and definitely handled the question better than Q, but honestly, who cares? 

Q  has been a beast most of the year and turning into our best all around player. He got knocked unconscious a few days ago and was throwing up walking off the field. Can we cut him some slack for being a little too invested in this year and not properly taking into account the long term ramifications of TL vs Fields vs Wilson? 

1 hour ago, JoePNYJ1 said:

While I understand that the players jobs are to go out there and give it 120% and try to win at all costs, they also need to understand us as Jet fans.  Tanking was the only option for this team to get a legitimate generational talent like Trevor Lawrence. 

NOT TRUE.... There is no guarantee this generational talent will be Andrew Luck or Ryan Leaf.  Does he look good?  Yes.  But coming into New York with all the expectations

Going to social media and calling us fans couch potatoes and not true fans is not the right thing to do and will just piss people off.  If Joe Douglas wants to build a positive culture here, he needs to address this immediately with both players and have them issue an apology.  We have suffered through this sh*t long enough along with the dumpster fire that is this organization.  Bechton is still a kid at 21 but McGovern is older and should know better.   

The players are probably pissed because the fan base, after watching them lose for almost two years, is upset because they want Trevor Lawrence.  You can understand a fan base desperate for a winner keep thinking the next guy drafted is "THE" guy.  I mean, most everyone here was thinking Sam Darnold was going to be "THE" guy.  But when you can't build an entire team, you can't win. And winning comes from winning.  

I think you can see the confusion and upset this has caused amongst some of actual team players. 

49 minutes ago, SpankyJohnson said:

They should apologize. Fans are the reason they get their million dollar salaries. 

And they are the reason there are fans.

We can keep going around and around in circles here, or people could understand, have a bit of compassion from both angles, and move on.

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And they are the reason there are fans.

We can keep going around and around in circles here, or people could understand, have a bit of compassion from both angles, and move on.

They get millions. We get a giant steaming pile of cow manure.  
pretty sure we earned the right to say what we want.  They should probably keep their mouth shut and just count their stacks of paper.  
ya dig

37 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Are  you suggesting that this team is 1-13 because of Quinnen? That seems like a rather ignorant comment. 

The team was bad, because the organization put a crappy product on the field. That's not the fault of the individual players. It would be like going up to Joe Flacco and yelling at him "Why can't you be like Mahomes!?!". 

I was calling out the players as a whole as opposed to anyone specifically. Guess what, they're the players on the field playing the snaps. No, it isn't like going up to Joe Flacco and yelling at him to be Mahomes. I never expected this team to win 14 games, and there is a place between absolute suck and perfection which would be just fine. If players want to call out random fans who have supported this team for longer than many of these players have been alive then it isn't so far fetched that the fans can also point out that the players aren't exactly inspiring devotion from a fan base that has supported and watched more than a few players cash checks for years here while coasting. Just because QW has started living up to his draft position and fat pay check doesn't make the concept any less valid.

3 minutes ago, SpankyJohnson said:

They get millions. We get a giant steaming pile of cow manure.  
pretty sure we earned the right to say what we want.  They should probably keep their mouth shut and just count their stacks of paper.  
ya dig

And they earned the right to say what they want.  They put in the hours to become pro's.  You can choose not to follow the steaming pile of cow manure. 

Around and around.....

• Upvote 1