BYU on tonight at 7. Required Watching

section314

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I agree with this. I show a thing yesterday that people were wondering how he would play because the national spotlight would really be on him. I thought he was just sort of incredible. Sure he threw to a lot of open receivers but he was insanely accurate. His short passes had perfect placement and were catchable. He threw several just amazing throws. That seam into double coverage, the 45 yard laser directly into the guys stomach. He is a good athlete and mobile. He has a Rodgers like release, and a Favre like arm.

The one area he looks to need work on is pressure directly in his face. But Brady to this day struggles with that, and he will improve

People always talk about accurate, well he is incredibly accurate at all levels. He does not throw interceptions and doesn't even throw interceptable balls and he's a gunslinger. On his biggest stage he was close to perfect.

If we get #1, I get it we pick Lawrence, But, assuming his combine physical is good, and he measures close to what he is listed, I think for the Jets he is close to being too good to pass up.  I like his swagger too, he was the best player on the field and knew it.

That would have been easily picked off by NFL caliber DB's . If that is his biggest stage we know nothing about him from that game, I'd argue the Coastal Carolina game was his biggest stage. 

But the draft/scouting  process isn't about looking at a kid's highlights or lowlight games its about taking all the factors into consideration. He certainly checks boxes with physical attributes and dual threat ability but there are some medical question marks( 2 different shoulder surgeries) and the level of competition has to be factored in. Its easy to be reactionary and look to his game last night vs Fields game against NW and say he's waaaay better than Fields - I'll contend that's shortsighted at best .  

Zach wilson has a frightening injury history and a slight frame. It's not a great combo. There's only so many times labrums can be rebuild

I like him as a late rd1 Aaron Rodgers value pick 

At 2 he doesn't have a nfl body, too common an athlete 

Kyler Murray doesn't shatter when you hit him. Baker either. Mahomes is a beast 

He's more like a shorter and faster Chad which sounds like a terrible insult but Chad went mid r1 that's Wilson's value at least to me 

The word is fragile 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Burrow completed just 58 % of his throws for 7.6 YPA in his Junior season.  Didn't stop him from looking terrific in the pros prior to his unfortunate injury.  

I'm not too worried about that.  

Buuuut.. Joey also threw for 60 motherf'ing TDs in the year leading up to him being drafted. SIXTY.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

Zach wilson has a frightening injury history and a slight frame. It's not a great combo. There's only so many times labrums can be rebuild

I like him as a late rd1 Aaron Rodgers value pick 

At 2 he doesn't have a nfl body, too common an athlete 

Kyler Murray doesn't shatter when you hit him. Baker either. Mahomes is a beast 

He's more like a shorter and faster Chad which sounds like a terrible insult but Chad went mid r1 that's Wilson's value at least to me 

The word is fragile 

If he’s a franchise QB you take him as soon as you can. If you want to wait until the end of round 1, it means you don’t think he’s the goods, in which case, why even draft him? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

If he’s a franchise QB you take him as soon as you can. If you want to wait until the end of round 1, it means you don’t think he’s the goods, in which case, why even draft him? 

Why did jd wait until 59 to take mims 

Because the draft is about maximizing value 

Not overpaying for your own board. You're leaving draft capital on the table 

Every player has a value the question is what's the best price? 

Chadwick had a decent arm at Marshall throwing jump ball bombs to randy moss. Several injuries later he couldn't throw at all. Not to say Wilson will bust 100 percent but the injury history has to be affect his value or at least it should 

7 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Wide receivers are not franchise quarterbacks. There is no overpaying if it's a franchise QB. He's either the goods or he isn't. If he is, you select him the moment you can. If you pass on him, then you don't think he's the goods. I understand the point you are trying to make, I just vehemently disagree. If you truly think someone is a franchise QB, you would never roll the dice and hope someone else selects him so that you can maximize your draft capital. 

How many people on this board considered Zach Wilson a “top tier” franchise QB prospect prior to 2 days ago?

This is precisely the kind of reactionary bullsh*t that is maddening.

Less than a week ago tons of people around the NFL landscape were trying to tell me that Justin Fields was 1b to Trevor Lawrence’s 1a.

Now Wilson has leapfrogged Fields based on one admittedly great game against Central Florida...

Lawrence was always the prize of this draft. Any goof trying to make it seem like there wasn’t a Grand Canyon sized gap between him and the next QB was blowing smoke up your assh0le.

We’ve missed out on the generational prospect...so don’t dick yourself over for another 4-5 years by settling.

Either take the best OL to come out of college since Joe Thomas or try your damndest to move down and take someone like Pitts or DeVonta Smith.

This is a lot less complicated than most fans want to make it seem.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Untouchable said:

How many people on this board considered Zach Wilson a “top tier” franchise QB prospect prior to 3 days ago?

If this was any other year he'd be in the discussion. It's not his fault or Justin fields fault they aren't Lawrence. 

The only question is whether he's herbert or trubisky or mayfield or Darnold or Allen etc.

We're going to be arguing about him, fields, Lance and jones the next few months and whether any are worth it.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If this was any other year he'd be in the discussion. It's not his fault or Justin fields fault they aren't Lawrence. 

The only question is whether he's herbert or trubisky or mayfield or Darnold or Allen etc.

We're going to be arguing about him, fields, Lance and jones the next few months and whether any are worth it.

I can mostly agree except for Lance.

He has no place being in the discussion even though I admittedly have watched by far the least of him out of any of the top QB’s.

I don’t trust anyone who says they have unless they reside in the Dakota’s.

The kid has less than 20 starts for a Division II powerhouse that has steamrolled any team in their path for the last decade, regardless of who is behind center.

I would be slightly disappointed if a Fields or Wilson is the pick at #2.

I would be f*cking devastated if we take Lance anywhere within the Top 25.

41 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

How many people on this board considered Zach Wilson a “top tier” franchise QB prospect prior to 2 days ago?

Less than a week ago tons of people around the NFL landscape were trying to tell me that Justin Fields was 1b to Trevor Lawrence’s 1a.

Now Wilson has leapfrogged Fields based on one admittedly great game against Central Florida...

Lawrence was always the prize of this draft. Any goof trying to make it seem like there wasn’t a Grand Canyon sized gap between him and the next QB was blowing smoke up your assh0le.

We’ve missed out on the generational prospect...so don’t dick yourself over for another 4-5 years by settling.

Either take the best OL to come out of college since Joe Thomas or try your damndest to move down and take someone like Pitts or DeVonta Smith.

I was merely speaking in generalities, but by all means, vent on my good man.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Even before this past Sunday, Wilson was rising up draft boards. This didn't just come out of left field because the Jets won this past Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2020 at 12:24 AM, freestater said:

Hard to say how he's doing with such wide open receivers. Can he hit a window? The TE had to wait up for that TD throw. 

If you go back and watch some of his other games this year you’ll see him hitting guys who are covered, fitting the ball in tight windows and throwing some beautiful deep balls where only the WR can catch it.....you’ll see way more of that than you’ll see watching Treveor Lawrence dink it 3 yards.

also, who’s he throwing it to? Lawrence has an NFL roster of talent at every position, Wilson is delivering among mediocrity and lifting an average team to a near undefeated season. He’s impressive and well worth having a long hard look at

• Sympathy 1

On 12/23/2020 at 5:23 PM, pointman said:

Buuuut.. Joey also threw for 60 motherf'ing TDs in the year leading up to him being drafted. SIXTY.

Right but no one is saying Wilson is going to be Burrow, only saying that a bad junior season isn't some exclusionary red flag.  Especially since there was a good reason for why it took place for Wilson (injury recovery).  2/3 of his collegiate seasons have been terrific, and he looks perfectly healthy right now.  I'll take it.

• Upvote 2

On 12/23/2020 at 12:49 AM, playtowinthegame said:

Tell me what game sold you on this Zach Wilson, was it versus North Alabama or was it the one he shredded Texas State? Or was it tonight? lol

I'm not saying you can't be a good NFL quarterback from a small school, but I don't think he's worth a our 2nd overall pick. Give me that beast Penei Sewell if the Jets miss out on the #1 overall pick and Trevor Lawrence.

Yes lets draft the f**king Right Tackle over a QB.  It's worked great for the Jets historically when they pass on QB's when they need a QB.

Fields, Wilson, trade down.  Those are the only 3 options.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/24/2020 at 10:09 AM, bitonti said:

Everyone who is a fan of Zach wilson at 2 needs to learn about this dudes injuries

The combine doctors are going to earn their money evaluating that dude and his shoulders which are held together with duct tape and silly putty 

Probably the biggest worry. Kid can sling it, very quick release, accurate, just wish he was a bit stockier. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2020 at 10:00 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

They traded UP to get Mahomes.  Clearly Reid was a big believer in the kid well before the rest of us were (with a few exceptions.  @Lupz27 and @RJIII being 2 of them).  

I'd be curious what a potential trade from #2 to #1 would look like. The gap between TL and the rest of the QB's is very large. 

4 minutes ago, RJIII said:

I'd be curious what a potential trade from #2 to #1 would look like. The gap between TL and the rest of the QB's is very large. 

I imagine it would be astronomical.  The Jaguars know they have the prize in hand.  Trading down from # 1 and watching Lawrence succeed elsewhere would be untenable for a 1st-year GM.  No chance they do that.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I imagine it would be astronomical.  The Jaguars know they have the prize in hand.  Trading down from # 1 and watching Lawrence succeed elsewhere would be untenable for a 1st-year GM.  No chance they do that.  

As much as the media has given the Jets grief about tanking, the Jaguars have not so subtlety been positioning themselves for this exact shot at Lawrence for the better part of 2 seasons now.  You are 100% right, no chance.  Even if by some miracle a new GM thought another route(trade or another player) no way the Jags owners would allow it.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

As much as the media has given the Jets grief about tanking, the Jaguars have not so subtlety been positioning themselves for this exact shot at Lawrence for the better part of 2 seasons now.  You are 100% right, no chance.  Even if by some miracle a new GM thought another route(trade or another player) no way the Jags owners would allow it.  

Nope.

Also, I'm surprised joewilly hasn't jumped in here already to remind us this is being discussed elsewhere.  ?

• Haha 2

On 12/24/2020 at 7:09 AM, bitonti said:

Everyone who is a fan of Zach wilson at 2 needs to learn about this dudes injuries

The combine doctors are going to earn their money evaluating that dude and his shoulders which are held together with duct tape and silly putty 

Definitely the medicals (and even his measurements) will be really important.  But I checked a little about his injury, and it wasn't even clear when it happened.  It seemed like he played with it.  Then had it cleaned up in the off-season.

Not sure if it's good or bad that it's not clear when it happened.  (Or maybe it was and I just missed it.)

On 12/22/2020 at 5:50 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

He's also had surgery on his hand before but in regards to his shoulder yes it's a laser right now but how will his shoulder be in 5-10 years from today after taking a pounding from NFL D-Lineman and NFL Linebackers? 

To each our own but I just rather not draft a kid who's already suffered an injury that required surgery to his throwing shoulder; at least not with a 1st round draft pick I wouldn't. 

The Tear is in his left shoulder 

On 12/23/2020 at 9:59 PM, nyjbuddy said:

Kid has a rocket arm throws from different angles to get the ball out quick and his timing is really good on come back routes. He's got all the talent to play the position there's no doubt about that so why should he not be mentioned in the same breath as Fields and Lawrence ? I have to admit I did not pay much attention to this kid because I was focused on Lawrence and Fields which seemed to be our 2 options but after watching this kid play it would not be such a horrible situation if this was our choice while moving back in the draft and adding some more picks in the process.

• Upvote 4

On 12/24/2020 at 9:09 AM, bitonti said:

Please elaborate I just heard him say it was his left arm with the torn Labrum not his right arm which he says is strong and the video obviously shows that he also said it does not effect his game at all and that he just deals with a little pain from time to time. So where's the duct tape and silly putty ?

19 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Please elaborate I just heard him say it was his left arm with the torn Labrum not his right arm which he says is strong and the video obviously shows that he also said it does not effect his game at all and that he just deals with a little pain from time to time. So where's the duct tape and silly putty ?

people talk as if they discovered some sh*t. everybody knows aboutthe injuries.

i posted arfticles 2 days ago. 

On 12/23/2020 at 6:16 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Wide receivers are not franchise quarterbacks. There is no overpaying if it's a franchise QB. He's either the goods or he isn't. If he is, you select him the moment you can. If you pass on him, then you don't think he's the goods. I understand the point you are trying to make, I just vehemently disagree. If you truly think someone is a franchise QB, you would never roll the dice and hope someone else selects him so that you can maximize your draft capital. 

right. ur either insane or plain stoopit.

9 hours ago, thshadow said:

Definitely the medicals (and even his measurements) will be really important.  But I checked a little about his injury, and it wasn't even clear when it happened.  It seemed like he played with it.  Then had it cleaned up in the off-season.

Not sure if it's good or bad that it's not clear when it happened.  (Or maybe it was and I just missed it.)

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

he tore them both prior to last season only repaired the right one 

the left one he repaired after the 19 season

he couldn't do a bench press all year 

and looks like it

the fact that he's 20 and already seen 2 torn labrums could mean he's not cut out for life in the NFL

Sam Darnold looks huge compared to this dude and he misses games every year

Zach Wilson = Chad Pennington part 2

that sounds like an insult but Chad was a great mid first round Prospect coming out of marshall with similar questions about his competition levels 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

he tore them both prior to last season only repaired the right one 

the left one he repaired after the 19 season

he couldn't do a bench press all year 

and looks like it

the fact that he's 20 and already seen 2 torn labrums could mean he's not cut out for life in the NFL

Sam Darnold looks huge compared to this dude and he misses games every year

Zach Wilson = Chad Pennington part 2

that sounds like an insult but Chad was a great mid first round Prospect coming out of marshall with similar questions about his competition levels 

Yeah but Chad only had a decent arm coming out of college which deteriorated in the NFL even further due to a rash of injuries. This kid has an absolute gun even after the labrum surgery. I think being concerned about the injuries is warranted. How did the injuries actually happen ? Was it self inflicted from throwing so damn hard or did he get hit while in his throwing motion ?