BYU on tonight at 7. Required Watching

section314

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I am NOT NOT NOT saying he is or ever will be Patrick Mahomes.

But I think a lot of the negatives that people used against Mahomes also are used for him.  System benefits QBs.  Never plays against good defenses.  Throwing to wide open receivers.  

People are being hypocritical.  Because how many "All 22" tapes
have we seen this year where Darnold has missed wide open receivers
for layup TDs.  Being able to find receivers running free is not a negative 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Look at this way, Ray.  If JD answers the first pro personnel question of "Are you keeping Sam Darnold after this season?"  with "The offseason is a long process and we have many questions to answer... but we plan to keep all our options on the table."

Sam is gone.

I would expect him to answer that question that way whether Sam is gone or not. Why devalue the second pick by declaring Sam the starter if you’re planning on trading the pick?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

thats literally the dumbest take I have read in a while...it was a PERFECT pass, on a line directly into the middle of his chest and not interceptable.

bull. If that ball was out front, that db wouldn't have had his hands near it. You throw it to the tight side of the db in the NFL, and you end up with Sam Darnold 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As I've said before if you want to ignore games where guys are running wide open all game and the level of comp is bad then you can eliminate 80% of all games by the top QBs.  I've seen this comment a half dozen times in this thread and amazingly it is never mentioned whole Trevor lawrence is killing texas state.

Which is precisely why projecting QBs is so damn hard.  It's hard to find many, if any instances where they are fitting balls into NFL windows or navigating NFL pressure.

Add that into not knowing what if anything they process themselves pre-snap and it's really a crap shoot.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Which is precisely why projecting QBs is so damn hard.  It's hard to find many, if any instances where they are fitting balls into NFL windows or navigating NFL pressure.

Add that into not knowing what if anything they process themselves pre-snap and it's really a crap shoot.

This is why I put a lot of stock in the final 4 playoff games.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sure

If Douglas and Co. ultimately decide that Fields or Wilson are worthy of the #2 pick, then even though I have my doubts (serious doubts), I’ll hope for the best. It’s about all I can do besides simply decide to walk away and even though that urge is stronger than it ever has been before, I’m not going to fool myself into thinking that I actually will.

I know I’m in the minority at this point, but if we aren’t getting Lawrence, I’d rather bolster the rest of the roster, particularly on the offensive side, and see what Darnold is capable of with a new HC and a supporting cast that wouldn’t make 2012 Mark Sanchez snicker.

It may be ultimately futile, but that’s absolutely the direction that I would prefer.

I really see both points of view on this. All of it is moot however if we don’t finally hire the right head coach. Basically I’ll be happy with whichever way the jets go as long as the coach is a good choice.

• Upvote 4

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

The fact that he seems to hit his wrs in stride shows accuracy, at least as much as you can take out of a game like this.  He throws a better ball than fields with more touch and i just see this guy excelling on Sunday somewhere.  If the jets don’t take him at 2, another team like Washington or Denver is going to trade up for him and love it.  I don’t see how the jets are better off not taking Wilson, trading back and keeping darnold and building around him.  

Just now, Ruby2 said:

I really see both points of view on this. All of it is moot however if we don’t finally hire the right head coach. Basically I’ll be happy with whichever way the jets go as long as the coach is a good choice.

everything is gonna come down to the coach. You take Josh Allen and put him with Gase and we're looking at the exact same problem we have with Sam. Its never all about the guy, its the circumstances and teammates you end up putting him with. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Ruby2 said:

True, very true.  But you have to wonder now, if coaches interviewing are gonna want them to draft a certain qb to work with as a condition of the hire.  Why would good coaching candidates come to the jets if the Douglas plan is to keep darnold and trade back from 2?  What coach would believe they’re going to be set up for succcess in this scenario?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Has Benjamin Allbright ever been right about anything?

You're paraphrasing Bill Belichick talking about Charley Casserly (that great talent consultant who helped unearth the gem of Mike McCagnan for Wood Johnson

""Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist"

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The fact that he seems to hit his wrs in stride shows accuracy, at least as much as you can take out of a game like this.  He throws a better ball than fields with more touch and i just see this guy excelling on Sunday somewhere.  If the jets don’t take him at 2, another team like Washington or Denver is going to trade up for him and love it.  I don’t see how the jets are better off not taking Wilson, trading back and keeping darnold and building around him.  

That’s it. I want this game not to convince people that Wilson a generational talent. He probably isn’t but he’s a legit NFL talent in any draft. Taking him at 2 overall is a commitment to taking a high potential guy with rare traits. Build around him, support him and max out his talent while he’s under cheap team control for 3 years. A QB guaranteed to go in the top 10 is a QB worth taking 2 overall.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

True, very true.  But you have to wonder now, if coaches interviewing are gonna want them to draft a certain qb to work with as a condition of the hire.  Why would good coaching candidates come to the jets if the Douglas plan is to keep darnold and trade back from 2?  What coach would believe they’re going to be set up for succcess in this scenario?

Maybe Daboll wants a project? Dude turned a 53 percentage passer at Wyoming into a top 5 qb. Maybe he could see Sam as his next project. Not saying this is likely but maybe?

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

everything is gonna come down to the coach. You take Josh Allen and put him with Gase and we're looking at the exact same problem we have with Sam. Its never all about the guy, its the circumstances and teammates you end up putting him with. 

100 percent.

that’s why my number 1 scenario I think is Daboll and the resurrection of Sam! While we land a stud wr or te and continue to build the line

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Either way, a majority of these guys success is the situation they get put into and if they get paired with the right coach. 

Coaching is everything. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, kdels62 said:

JD: Hey Daboll I heard you want a project QB so here are your two options. Do you want the 21 year old with a cannon arm that kind of looks like he should be a boy band for the next 4 years? Or do you want the 24 year old with the mediocre arm who led us to a 1-15 record for just 1 year?

Lmaoooo counterpoint taken. I was grasping at straws. Just get me Daboll and I don’t care which way they go QB wise, I’d have faith.

2 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Maybe Daboll wants a project? Dude turned a 53 percentage passer at Wyoming into a top 5 qb. Maybe he could see Sam as his next project. Not saying this is likely but maybe?

I hear what you’re saying.  But if I’m daboll I’d rather take the rookie who hasn’t has 3 nfl seasons of terrible coaching, bad habits to undo and the mental strain/fatigue of the ny jets stink to get rid of.  I’d rather have someone like Wilson, who shows a lot of moxie and doesn’t have the physical and mental baggage that darnold has.  Darnold needs a reset year at 23, that’s how bad he is.  He needs to carrry a clipboard.  

I think douglas is taking a qb at 2, simply because gms don’t have forever to draft one, and because he’s never going to pay darnold any real kind of money for being the worst starting qb in the nfl.  It’s Wilson or fields basically, because when darnold leaves the only real impact pick remaining will be Q who ironically is the best mccagnan pick who was panned his entire rookie year on this board.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I hear what you’re saying.  But if I’m daboll I’d rather take the rookie who hasn’t has 3 nfl seasons of terrible coaching, bad habits to undo and the mental strain/fatigue of the ny jets stink to get rid of.  I’d rather have someone like Wilson, who shows a lot of moxie and doesn’t have the physical and mental baggage that darnold has.  Darnold needs a reset year at 23, that’s how bad he is.  He needs to carrry a clipboard.  

I think douglas is taking a qb at 2, simply because gms don’t have forever to draft one, and because he’s never going to pay darnold any real kind of money for being the worst starting qb in the nfl.  It’s Wilson or fields basically, because when darnold leaves the only real impact pick remaining will be Q who ironically is the best mccagnan pick who was panned his entire rookie year on this board.

Christ...

• Upvote 1

anybody who was conscious knew of Zach at least a month ago...

he looks every bit as legit a prospect as Josh Allen did.

and people here creamed when we got Sam. who had MAJOR turnovetr problems and just looked the other way cos

"Sam Savior"

it comes down to JD and Co. Do they think another QB is worth a #2. Whatever they do, they'll be doubts. And if they trade down, they trade donw to ???  who knows where?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1