Zach Wilson may give Jets hope after Trevor Lawrence downer

jetstream23

https://nypost.com/2020/12/22/zach-wilson-may-have-just-given-jets-hope-after-trevor-lawrence-downer/

Trevor who?

BYU quarterback Zach Wilson put on a show Tuesday night in the Boca Raton Bowl, throwing for three touchdowns and rushing for two more in the first half alone as part of a 49-23 thrashing of Central Florida.

Wilson finished the game 26 of 34 for 425 yards, was named offensive MVP and may have provided Jets fans with a glimmer of hope after their team likely blew their chance to select Clemson stud quarterback Trevor Lawrence with the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

The Jets, following Sunday’s upset of the Rams, are slated to pick second, but they may still eye a quarterback even if the Jaguars choose Lawrence with the top selection.

Wilson and Ohio State star Justin Fields are considered the top quarterback prospects behind Lawrence.

The Jets will have to decide whether either is worth moving on from Sam Darnold, who has been inconsistent and hampered by injuries since being selected with the third pick in the 2018 draft.

A baby-faced 21-year-old junior from Utah, Wilson entered the year relatively unknown, but shot up the draft board after throwing 30 touchdown passes — seven more than he threw in his first two seasons — with just three interceptions during BYU’s 10-1 regular season.

His rise may have mirrored that of Joe Burrow, whom the Bengals selected with the first pick last spring, but Wilson also has drawn comparisons to another big-name quarterback. 

“I’m not going to say he’s Patrick Mahomes, but what I’m saying, he plays like Patrick Mahomes,” Steve Young, the Hall of Famer and BYU alum, told KNBR radio last month. “Like, there’s no throw he can’t make. He’s just intuitive and really present when he’s playing. Every week, you’re like, wow, this is something good.”

Not only has Wilson’s ability to improvise on the fly been compared to that of Mahomes, the reigning MVP, but also the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder is mobile, a skill NFL teams today value more than ever.

Wilson rushed for eight touchdowns and 242 yards during the regular season.

While he hasn’t officially declared for the draft, it would come as a surprise if Wilson stayed in school.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Nope. We had one ******* job and that was to loose. It's over. We'll ruin any other QB, Lawrence could have got us a real coach. We're back to dumpster diving with the Johnsons. I pray for the next QB

If Trevor isn’t the pick, the Johnsons are bringing Gase back. Only Trevor would force them to move on from Gase. 

• Upvote 1

Trevor is a goner barring a miracle. Roll with Darnold another season and turn the OL into a modern version of the Great Wall of China. Get the guy some protection on one hand and most importantly, establish a bona fide run game to alleviate the pressure to the passing game. We have Mims, we have Crowder. Get one more WR via FA or elsewhere in the draft but at this point it's all about:

The Offensive Line

The Offensive Line

The Offensive Line

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Hard Pass. It was Central Florida.

Still that was freaking impressive. He had nearly 300 yards in the first half alone. They definitely held back in 2nd half with the game in hand.  I recall Melvin Gordon going off in college vs. lesser comp and people having similar doubts. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

He looks like Darnold with brown hair and a smile. 

Sam's the boy band idol that dares to date the local teenage queen.  Zach Wilson is the Glee club Parade All American her parents have paid to beat him up.  I don't see this one ending up on Disney+ though.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Fields was considered a lock as the 2nd qb. not so much anymore.

I like the kid and would do it. but...   thats just me.

if you like fields better then you do that. 

Read a post that said you keep taking a QB until you find one. I can see a GM being gun shy taking yet another QB after their top QB pick busts, but it makes sense. Sooner or later you’re bound to hit. So I’m in total agreement here with you going with Zach. Check out this throw at around 1:25 and notice his feet aren’t even set properly. Kid has a strong strong arm.  And there numerous impressive throws here. 

Like your in the club, it’s late, all the Hot chicks are taken, your desperate. You convince yourself that the fat chick standing by the back wall, isn’t so bad really, and after a few more Jacks she’s starting to look good.

That’s Zach Wilson.

It’s 1981 Giants have just taken Lawrence Taylor, your picking next.. 

• Haha 3

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

Like your in the club, it’s late, all the Hot chicks are taken, your desperate. You convince yourself that the fat chick standing be the back wall, isn’t so bad really, and after a few more Jacks she’s starting to look good.

That’s Zach Wilson.

4838009.jpg.1ddde813947bf077073867a6f31fd120.jpg

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

I'm not hopping on this train yet but I'm intrigued. If anything another team will fall love with him and trade up for him.

Rodgers took a couple years on the bench to completely rework his mechanics on a competent franchise. If he got drafted to the Jets he'd be tossed on the same dumpster fire we're forced to toss Sam on.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Rodgers took a couple years on the bench to completely rework his mechanics on a competent franchise. If he got drafted to the Jets he'd be tossed on the same dumpster fire we're forced to toss Sam on.

Rogers was on the bench because Brett HOF Favre was throwing the Rock.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

My buddy who watches college said Trevor is system qb and the jets system might not really be the best for him. He then said this dude is the guy. Just goes to show you missing on trevor is the the worst thing. This dude might be a stud

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Like your in the club, it’s late, all the Hot chicks are taken, your desperate. You convince yourself that the fat chick standing by the back wall, isn’t so bad really, and after a few more Jacks she’s starting to look good.

That’s Zach Wilson.

Sounds like an experiential experience.

B145E1DE-2886-4823-9EB0-E5363EFF9BD1.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Read a post that said you keep taking a QB until you find one. I can see a GM being gun shy taking yet another QB after their top QB pick busts, but it makes sense. Sooner or later you’re bound to hit. So I’m in total agreement here going with Zach. Check out this throw at around 1:50...and notice his feet aren’t even set properly. Kid has a strong strong arm. 

pal o mine useta say that...  keep tryn til you get him

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

My buddy who watches college said Trevor is system qb and the jets system might not really be the best for him. He then said this dude is the guy. Just goes to show you missing on trevor is the the worst thing. This dude might be a stud

Just curious.  How is Trevor a "system QB?"  Sorry.  I was too lazy to read "Take You're Eye Off The Ball."

39 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

That’s Zach Wilson.

You’re insane if you don’t see Wilson’s talent stand out in a room full of QB’s.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1