2020-2021 NCAA Basketball Thread

@nyjunc @nj meadowlands @Jetsfan80

Surprised no one started this yet. For the first time in 5+ years, I care about UConn basketball again. Back in the BE where we belonged all along. Happy we got rid of the football program too - caused a ton of issues for and to the basketball program. 

Heart-breaking loss to Creighton on Sunday. The only reason I didn't start this thread earlier is because the Jets one-upped them and got themselves a gut-wrenching win later on that day. 

UConn is still a year away, but I love the grit they showed. Just feels like a throwback team. I like the coach too. I just wish they'd ******* take free throws in practice. It literally cost them on Sunday (missing 3/4 in the final 30 seconds and then getting obliterated in OT), and is one of my only criticisms of UConn dating back to the Calhoun days. They ******* suck at FTs year in and year out and don't do anything about it. It's mind boggling. Like when Rex couldn't figure out how to stop opposing TEs!

Anyway - should be fun to get to play Nova again. Hopefully we get some participation in this thread like we did in years prior. 

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Surprised no one started this yet.

We've actually been posting (even for last season) in the 2018-19 thread.  Ironic that a 2019-20 thread was never started, now that that was a lost season.  Would've been nice to memorialize an absolute PEACH of a season from the TAR HEELS.

Anyway, glad that CBB is back in some form.  Looking forward to smacking around the Huskies this year :) 

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2020 at 3:37 PM, nj meadowlands said:

We've actually been posting (even for last season) in the 2018-19 thread.  Ironic that a 2019-20 thread was never started, now that that was a lost season.  Would've been nice to memorialize an absolute PEACH of a season from the TAR HEELS.

Anyway, glad that CBB is back in some form.  Looking forward to smacking around the Huskies this year :) 

Lol nice. Didn’t realize that...guess we can go back to that thread then!

Haven't missed the tournament since 2010.  

I wish there was more activity in this thread even if it is making fun of my team.

Another awful start be NC State, another comeback but they missed 2 at the buzzer to tie and now are unranked in the AP.  The slow starts are really frustrating.  I still really like the potential of this team but the freshman backcourt needs to play better.

• 1 month later...

Well, that sucked. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 1000 times: Turnovers and missed FT are always the driving factors for UConn losses. Hopefully they can get some of that fixed for the next go-around.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watching Iowa vs Illinois in the big ten semi final.

I'll say it again, college ball is 1000 times better than the sh*tty boring NBA.

They play hard defense, the games are well rounded (as in 3 pointers and inside game and mid range jump shots).  Even the reffing is better.

NBA:  Unlikable truculent stars all making 40 million a year playing when they feel like it.  Awful defense, refs let players get away with even the most basic infractions.  (Tons of offensive fouls not called, travelling not called)

Woof.

• Upvote 3

Sunday's Conference finals before the brackets come out:

LSU-Ala:   this one should be bama but I have the least confidence.  SEC always kills me.

OH St - Illinois:  Illinois my favorite team this year.  Illinois takes the Big ten today

Banking on the Bonnies to take the championship today and the Bearcats to cover the 13.5 spread. 

39 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Hey guys...  Loving Illinois this year.  Also Texas.  And I expect Pitino to win a game or two.

Do we have a board Brackets contest?  Maybe we should set one up with a $5 or $10 entry?

I would do a bracket for a few bucks.

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Not a lot of interest I guess.

Afraid not.  Even as a big college basketball fan, I don't have a whole lot of interest in filling out brackets this year.  There's just too much uncertainty.  Teams playing with a minimum of 5 guys, and you don't know who will be out.  Whole teams potentially getting replaced with fill-in schools, with the deadline for that decision coming on Tuesday.  Possible forfeits if COVID positives happen after that point.  And I really haven't been following things much at all this year.  

Granted, this would probably be the year where I end up with the best bracket I've ever done, all because I haven't been paying attention.  lol.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Afraid not.  Even as a big college basketball fan, I don't have a whole lot of interest in filling out brackets this year.  There's just too much uncertainty.  Teams playing with a minimum of 5 guys, and you don't know who will be out.  Whole teams potentially getting replaced with fill-in schools, with the deadline for that decision coming on Tuesday.  Possible forfeits if COVID positives happen after that point.  And I really haven't been following things much at all this year.  

Granted, this would probably be the year where I end up with the best bracket I've ever done, all because I haven't been paying attention.  lol.

Despite the covid cancels, it has been a very good spring for NCAA Hoops.  I've enjoyed it.  SOme really good hoops in the last 2 months

23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have not followed NCAA hoops at all this year, which is why I really want to find a pool to participate in just so I will have a rooting interest in the games.  It is worth it for me to throw $5 or $10 at a bracket jsut so I have someone to root for.  Guess I will have to look elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

******* embarrassing. I don't want to look this up, but I can't remember a single time in my entire life when UConn went out in the first round.

Don't care that Bouk will be a first round pick - kid has more talent than anyone UConn has trotted out since Kemba, but it means nothing without heart in college hoops. The last UConn championship with a bunch of nobodies is a literal case study of this. Bouk is not a Husky to me. He can take all of his talent and be a one-and-done for all I care. Softer than the boogie boarding ginger QB for the Jets. And I actually like the boogie boarder. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

Surprised no one started this yet. For the first time in 5+ years, I care about UConn basketball again. Back in the BE where we belonged all along. Happy we got rid of the football program too - caused a ton of issues for and to the basketball program. 

Heart-breaking loss to Creighton on Sunday. The only reason I didn't start this thread earlier is because the Jets one-upped them and got themselves a gut-wrenching win later on that day. 

UConn is still a year away, but I love the grit they showed. Just feels like a throwback team. I like the coach too. I just wish they'd ******* take free throws in practice. It literally cost them on Sunday (missing 3/4 in the final 30 seconds and then getting obliterated in OT), and is one of my only criticisms of UConn dating back to the Calhoun days. They ******* suck at FTs year in and year out and don't do anything about it. It's mind boggling. Like when Rex couldn't figure out how to stop opposing TEs!

Anyway - should be fun to get to play Nova again. Hopefully we get some participation in this thread like we did in years prior. 

I mean, if I could see it back in December, no idea why the coaches didn't. 5 of like 15 or something in tonight's 9 point loss. Attaway to play in the dance boys!!!

What a great day of basketball this has been.  One great game after another all afternoon. Loyola over UI.  Syracuse v. WV,  Ark v TT, Oral Roberts over the Gators.  Heartbreaking loss for Rutgers, they had that game under control and got conservative and let Houston back into the game.

I just hope tomorrow is a quiet day at work because I do not plan to be very productive.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

In didn't even see this, I've been posting on the old one?

Congrats to uconn for a good year and getting back to the tourney.  They are on their way back.

The Heels didn't show in the first round as Roy gets his first ever round of 64 loss.  It was a crazy year, hopefully things get back to normal next season.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lith said:

What a great day of basketball this has been.  One great game after another all afternoon. Loyola over UI.  Syracuse v. WV,  Ark v TT, Oral Roberts over the Gators.  Heartbreaking loss for Rutgers, they had that game under control and got conservative and let Houston back into the game.

I just hope tomorrow is a quiet day at work because I do not plan to be very productive.

Maybe the craziest tournament I have ever seen.  

I don't like the Friday through Monday games, I hope they go back to Thursday through Sunday next year

• Upvote 1