2020-2021 NCAA Basketball Thread

43 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Serious question - did he catch a ban?  He hasn't been around in MONTHS.  And given how special the connection is between him and his non-alma mater, it's pretty disturbing.

Wouldn’t surprise me, but I also don’t see anything ban-worthy in his most recent posts, and I would imagine he would’ve showed up in the gallows thread by now if he had been.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry I wasn't around for the incredible run, I know you guys missed me?. I just haven't had time to post but what an amazing run.  Basically from the Syracuse game when Love nailing that late 3 to spoiling K's last home game to the Baylor game, the UCLA game, sending K to retirement. 

I have been following Carolina basketball since the mid/late 80s and have seen a lot of great wins, a lot of championships,... but this was the most fun run I can remember.  It's too bad all the injuries cost them the title.  Manek getting hurt early then Love early 2nd half then Puff getting sick then on a play that would have given the Heels the lead late the floor buckled and Bacot reinjured his ankle.  Such a shame they didn't get that title but everyone except Manek is coming back and they'll have a great chance to do what the 2017 team did.

On another note, I was shocked by Wright's retirement.  While I'm still not over the stolen title of 2016 Jay was a great coach, good man and great for college basketball.  I remember when I used to post on a different board and there was this Villanova fan that wanted Wright fired after the upset loss up NC State in 2015?. Crazy times in college basketball.  Hubert proved he can coach, can Scheyer and can Neptune?  We'll see.

On 4/5/2022 at 10:11 AM, Matt39 said:

Bacot is a warrior. What an absolutely choke job by UNC. Davis allowing the two guards to chuck at will should haunt him for a while. Just a brutal loss.

There was 20 minutes left, they didn't blow a 15 point lead with 5 minutes.  Unfortunately they weren't deep and 4 of their top 6 guys got hurt/sick during that game.  It eventually caught up to them.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:36 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me, but I also don’t see anything ban-worthy in his most recent posts, and I would imagine he would’ve showed up in the gallows thread by now if he had been.

I was not banned, just not around.  Very busy times, hopefully I'll be around more going forward but we'll see.

Great tourney all the way around. 

Definitely surprised by Wright's retirement. 

Furious with Dan Hurley. For sake of argument, I'll say that I started following UConn as a legit fan in '96 around the time I turned 10. Between '96-'20, I had never seen UConn underachieve to the degree that we have under Hurley two years in a row. I'd seen many overachievements. The only obvious disappointment was the George Mason year. Last year with the first round exit, and this year losing to mother****ing NM State who only had 1 actual player playing.....just unacceptable. At least when the lady huskies lost in the championship game, they lost to the clearly better and healthier opponent.

The worst part? The best mens coach is the highly sought after assistant who will leave for a HC job somewhere this year, and we'll be stuck with Hurley for years to come. 

On 4/25/2022 at 11:50 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Great tourney all the way around. 

Definitely surprised by Wright's retirement. 

Furious with Dan Hurley. For sake of argument, I'll say that I started following UConn as a legit fan in '96 around the time I turned 10. Between '96-'20, I had never seen UConn underachieve to the degree that we have under Hurley two years in a row. I'd seen many overachievements. The only obvious disappointment was the George Mason year. Last year with the first round exit, and this year losing to mother****ing NM State who only had 1 actual player playing.....just unacceptable. At least when the lady huskies lost in the championship game, they lost to the clearly better and healthier opponent.

The worst part? The best mens coach is the highly sought after assistant who will leave for a HC job somewhere this year, and we'll be stuck with Hurley for years to come. 

Was a great tourney.  I am still gobsmacked and sad about Jay's retirement.  The only saving grace is that he's left the program in a very good place... he got his hand-picked successor (who was able to collect a year of HC experience), kept the coaching staff in tact, kept all 3 of next year's recruits, and seems to be - at least for now - sticking around in a sort of Pat Riley-esque role.  It's still a jarring end to an era though.

Interesting to hear your take on Hurley.  They have been recruiting very well since he got there, but everything you say is true.  (The "you better get us now!" BS was so annoying... was hard not to root for him to get his comeuppance). 

On 4/27/2022 at 9:50 AM, nj meadowlands said:

Interesting to hear your take on Hurley.  They have been recruiting very well since he got there, but everything you say is true.  (The "you better get us now!" BS was so annoying... was hard not to root for him to get his comeuppance). 

Strong Herm Edwards vibes. Player coach through and through, great salesman, culture changer. These types are great in the beginning, but they typically have a ceiling and when they’re unable to break through the ceiling, their act gets old. That’s where I am with Hurley right now.

Hurley is fine with the X’s and O’s. He generally has good strategies to start games. But he’s awful at in-game coaching - whether it’s adjusting on the fly, timeout management, or having a pulse on the game. In his years here, we’ve squandered too many big leads, lost too many close games, and generally underachieved far too often for there not to be a trend. The singular big game that UConn has won since he joined the program was this year against yall, and he was watching from the locker room as Kimani led us to the W.

Needless to say, I’m over him.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 10:09 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

Strong Herm Edwards vibes. Player coach through and through, great salesman, culture changer. These types are great in the beginning, but they typically have a ceiling and when they’re unable to break through the ceiling, their act gets old. That’s where I am with Hurley right now.

Hurley is fine with the X’s and O’s. He generally has good strategies to start games. But he’s awful at in-game coaching - whether it’s adjusting on the fly, timeout management, or having a pulse on the game. In his years here, we’ve squandered too many big leads, lost too many close games, and generally underachieved far too often for there not to be a trend. The singular big game that UConn has won since he joined the program was this year against yall, and he was watching from the locker room as Kimani led us to the W.

Needless to say, I’m over him.

Hurley is a douche, man. UConn needs someone else

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 6:32 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

@greenwichjetfan UNCW @ UCONN tonight! 

18.5-point spread is probably pretty spot-on, but I have hopes we can keep it closer to a 12-14 point game even after a disappointing effort @ Oklahoma on Tuesday night.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:26 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Well that sucked.  lmao.

I don't know why but I missed these...just seeing them. I was out of the country and missed the game, but I would have enjoyed it lol.

I just came back to talk about UCONN potentially hitting #1 in the AP again! I went back and looked it up....the last time we were #1, I was a less than a year out of undergrad...3/2/09. Can't believe how long it's been. Honestly, for a few years there, I thought we'd never make it back. 

@The Crusher I've never asked for merged threads so I don't know how this works or if it's even possible, but would it be possible to merge all of the below threads with this one and just call it NCAA Basketball Thread? Would be nice to have it all in one thread. 

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/72753-200910-ncaa-basketball-thread/#comment-1233302
https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/125653-junc-azog-duke-unc-discussion/#comment-2975852
https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/123710-2015-16-ncaa-basketball/page/10/#comment-3033719
https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/126681-2016-17-ncaa-basketball-thread/page/17/#comment-3536908
https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/140289-2018-19-ncaa-basketball-thread/#comment-3884059

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don't know why but I missed these...just seeing them. I was out of the country and missed the game, but I would have enjoyed it lol.

I just came back to talk about UCONN potentially hitting #1 in the AP again! I went back and looked it up....the last time we were #1, I was a less than a year out of undergrad...3/2/09. Can't believe how long it's been. Honestly, for a few years there, I thought we'd never make it back. 

@The Crusher I've never asked for merged threads so I don't know how this works or if it's even possible, but would it be possible to merge all of the below threads with this one and just call it NCAA Basketball Thread? Would be nice to have it all in one thread. 

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/72753-200910-ncaa-basketball-thread/#comment-1233302
https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/125653-junc-azog-duke-unc-discussion/#comment-2975852
https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/123710-2015-16-ncaa-basketball/page/10/#comment-3033719
https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/126681-2016-17-ncaa-basketball-thread/page/17/#comment-3536908
https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/140289-2018-19-ncaa-basketball-thread/#comment-3884059

I’m working right now. But I’ll see what I can do tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...

@nj meadowlands - very excited for tonight's game. The last time you guys came to our house, we stole one from you. Other than that one game, you've owned us for an entire decade. 

Both teams come into the game on hot streaks. Obviously we'd expect the #2 ranked team in the country to win outright against an unranked opponent, but this is Big East basketball afterall, and we still have the herm edwards of NCAAMB coaching our side - so anything is possible. Will be fun to watch.  

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

@nj meadowlands - very excited for tonight's game. The last time you guys came to our house, we stole one from you. Other than that one game, you've owned us for an entire decade. 

Both teams come into the game on hot streaks. Obviously we'd expect the #2 ranked team in the country to win outright against an unranked opponent, but this is Big East basketball afterall, and we still have the herm edwards of NCAAMB coaching our side - so anything is possible. Will be fun to watch.  

I want to say that UConn is overrated and a double digit point spread is silly.....but no, we are going to get drubbed tonight lol

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Huskies Looking so sexy right now.  

80 mins to go, but yes, color me impressed so far. With the rate at which high profile 1s and 2s are going down - for us to come out and stomp everyone everyone out is…unexpected. Hurley is making me eat my words every game, and it’s ******* delicious.

UConn has 4 championships. Every other school still alive as of this morning has a combined 0. I think only Texas has even a finals appearance on their resume. Point being, the ball’s in our court. Although this is typically where Hurley takes his foot off the gas I think (hope) the squad is just too talented for Hurley to mess it up. We’ll see soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Side note: bummed about the ladies. It’s been an uphill climb all season after losing Paige to a knee in the preseason. The team still showed out much of the year and took care of business where they could. Unfortunately just overmatched yesterday.

Paige needs to get right this offseason. If she does, we’re gonna be dangerous next year. Missing our first final four since ‘07 could be exactly what we need to drive next season.

On 3/13/2023 at 11:20 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

@greenwichjetfan I’ve got UCONN as my national champ in my bracket.

I have UConn in my bracket too, and almost everyone else had Kansas or Alabama (a few had Houston, a few had Texas, and then stragglers like Purdue, Gonzaga, and Arizona (lol)). Anyway, my dumbass invited 3 of my UConn buddies to the pool and one of them filled out a bracket; also with UConn winning. Of the 43 entries, I’m currently second in max points at 1130, and my UConn buddy is first at 1140. Everyone else’s max points are sub 1k.

If UConn pulls this off, I’m gonna miss out on 1st place on a pretty big pool by 10 points because I forwarded it to my buddy. smdh.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I don’t disagree with that.  This is a horrendous tournament though.  Field was just terrible from the start. 

Down years for lots of traditional powers will do that.

Oh well.  If the field was gonna suck I’m happy with the mayhem at least.  FAU and SDSU getting there is fun, at least to me.  Larranaga and Miami getting there is fun.  UCONN is beastly.  It’s not the worst end result.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Down years for lots of traditional powers will do that.

Oh well.  If the field was gonna suck I’m happy with the mayhem at least.  FAU and SDSU getting there is fun, at least to me.  Larranaga and Miami getting there is fun.  UCONN is beastly.  It’s not the worst end result.  

UConn is the only decent team but also incredibly overrated in the context of this crap field