2020-2021 NCAA Basketball Thread

greenwichjetfan

43 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Serious question - did he catch a ban?  He hasn't been around in MONTHS.  And given how special the connection is between him and his non-alma mater, it's pretty disturbing.

Wouldn’t surprise me, but I also don’t see anything ban-worthy in his most recent posts, and I would imagine he would’ve showed up in the gallows thread by now if he had been.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry I wasn't around for the incredible run, I know you guys missed me😬. I just haven't had time to post but what an amazing run.  Basically from the Syracuse game when Love nailing that late 3 to spoiling K's last home game to the Baylor game, the UCLA game, sending K to retirement. 

I have been following Carolina basketball since the mid/late 80s and have seen a lot of great wins, a lot of championships,... but this was the most fun run I can remember.  It's too bad all the injuries cost them the title.  Manek getting hurt early then Love early 2nd half then Puff getting sick then on a play that would have given the Heels the lead late the floor buckled and Bacot reinjured his ankle.  Such a shame they didn't get that title but everyone except Manek is coming back and they'll have a great chance to do what the 2017 team did.

On another note, I was shocked by Wright's retirement.  While I'm still not over the stolen title of 2016 Jay was a great coach, good man and great for college basketball.  I remember when I used to post on a different board and there was this Villanova fan that wanted Wright fired after the upset loss up NC State in 2015😂. Crazy times in college basketball.  Hubert proved he can coach, can Scheyer and can Neptune?  We'll see.

On 4/5/2022 at 10:11 AM, Matt39 said:

Bacot is a warrior. What an absolutely choke job by UNC. Davis allowing the two guards to chuck at will should haunt him for a while. Just a brutal loss.

There was 20 minutes left, they didn't blow a 15 point lead with 5 minutes.  Unfortunately they weren't deep and 4 of their top 6 guys got hurt/sick during that game.  It eventually caught up to them.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:36 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me, but I also don’t see anything ban-worthy in his most recent posts, and I would imagine he would’ve showed up in the gallows thread by now if he had been.

I was not banned, just not around.  Very busy times, hopefully I'll be around more going forward but we'll see.

Great tourney all the way around. 

Definitely surprised by Wright's retirement. 

Furious with Dan Hurley. For sake of argument, I'll say that I started following UConn as a legit fan in '96 around the time I turned 10. Between '96-'20, I had never seen UConn underachieve to the degree that we have under Hurley two years in a row. I'd seen many overachievements. The only obvious disappointment was the George Mason year. Last year with the first round exit, and this year losing to mother****ing NM State who only had 1 actual player playing.....just unacceptable. At least when the lady huskies lost in the championship game, they lost to the clearly better and healthier opponent.

The worst part? The best mens coach is the highly sought after assistant who will leave for a HC job somewhere this year, and we'll be stuck with Hurley for years to come. 

On 4/25/2022 at 11:50 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Great tourney all the way around. 

Definitely surprised by Wright's retirement. 

Furious with Dan Hurley. For sake of argument, I'll say that I started following UConn as a legit fan in '96 around the time I turned 10. Between '96-'20, I had never seen UConn underachieve to the degree that we have under Hurley two years in a row. I'd seen many overachievements. The only obvious disappointment was the George Mason year. Last year with the first round exit, and this year losing to mother****ing NM State who only had 1 actual player playing.....just unacceptable. At least when the lady huskies lost in the championship game, they lost to the clearly better and healthier opponent.

The worst part? The best mens coach is the highly sought after assistant who will leave for a HC job somewhere this year, and we'll be stuck with Hurley for years to come. 

Was a great tourney.  I am still gobsmacked and sad about Jay's retirement.  The only saving grace is that he's left the program in a very good place... he got his hand-picked successor (who was able to collect a year of HC experience), kept the coaching staff in tact, kept all 3 of next year's recruits, and seems to be - at least for now - sticking around in a sort of Pat Riley-esque role.  It's still a jarring end to an era though.

Interesting to hear your take on Hurley.  They have been recruiting very well since he got there, but everything you say is true.  (The "you better get us now!" BS was so annoying... was hard not to root for him to get his comeuppance). 

On 4/27/2022 at 9:50 AM, nj meadowlands said:

Interesting to hear your take on Hurley.  They have been recruiting very well since he got there, but everything you say is true.  (The "you better get us now!" BS was so annoying... was hard not to root for him to get his comeuppance). 

Strong Herm Edwards vibes. Player coach through and through, great salesman, culture changer. These types are great in the beginning, but they typically have a ceiling and when they’re unable to break through the ceiling, their act gets old. That’s where I am with Hurley right now.

Hurley is fine with the X’s and O’s. He generally has good strategies to start games. But he’s awful at in-game coaching - whether it’s adjusting on the fly, timeout management, or having a pulse on the game. In his years here, we’ve squandered too many big leads, lost too many close games, and generally underachieved far too often for there not to be a trend. The singular big game that UConn has won since he joined the program was this year against yall, and he was watching from the locker room as Kimani led us to the W.

Needless to say, I’m over him.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 10:09 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

Strong Herm Edwards vibes. Player coach through and through, great salesman, culture changer. These types are great in the beginning, but they typically have a ceiling and when they’re unable to break through the ceiling, their act gets old. That’s where I am with Hurley right now.

Hurley is fine with the X’s and O’s. He generally has good strategies to start games. But he’s awful at in-game coaching - whether it’s adjusting on the fly, timeout management, or having a pulse on the game. In his years here, we’ve squandered too many big leads, lost too many close games, and generally underachieved far too often for there not to be a trend. The singular big game that UConn has won since he joined the program was this year against yall, and he was watching from the locker room as Kimani led us to the W.

Needless to say, I’m over him.

Hurley is a douche, man. UConn needs someone else