7:00 - New York Knicks @ Indiana Pacers Game/Season Thread (Opening Night).

Question for Phil and the others who post in this thread.

Is this Knicks team simply waiting for the in-house talent to mature or are they still missing major pieces in order to truly compete at the top level?

Personally it looks like a bit of both to me but others probably have a better take on things.

• Upvote 1

Just now, EM31 said:

Is this Knicks team simply waiting for the in-house talent to mature and/or be fully healthy at the same time or are they still missing major pieces in order to truly compete at the top level?

Personally it looks like a bit of both to me but others probably have a better take on things.  If the latter then which pieces still need to be added?

21 hours ago, EM31 said:

Is this Knicks team simply waiting for the in-house talent to mature or are they still missing major pieces in order to truly compete at the top level?

Personally it looks like a bit of both to me but others probably have a better take on things.

They are building the right way in house with the draft.  RJ, IQ, Mitch, Obi are all very young and developing 

At some point they will go all in on a superstar.  Devin Booker’s name has come up but I doubt anything like that happens anytime soon

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

They are building the right way in house with the draft.  RJ, IQ, Mitch, Obi are all very young and developing 

At some point they will go all in on a superstar.  Devin Booker’s name has come up but I doubt anything like that happens anytime soon

That is what I was sort of thinking as well and i know that this next thought applies to several of our younger players but I am not sure how good Robinson can be if he can stay healthy.

I am still hopeful about Ntilikina but I fear he may not end up as minimally effective as we need on the offensive end no matter how much defense he brings to the table.

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:36 PM, EM31 said:

That is what I was sort of thinking as well and i know that this next thought applies to several of our younger players but I am not sure how good Robinson can be if he can stay healthy.

I am still hopeful about Ntilikina but I fear he may not end up as minimally effective as we need on the offensive end no matter how much defense he brings to the table.

Evan Fournier is a guy I think the Knicks target next summer

Nice last second D by Reggie 

38 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Evan Fournier is a guy I think the Knicks target next summer

Nice last second D by Reggie 

I assume we resign Randle to whatever deal he is entitled to.

We were definitely not point guard heavy last night.  Ugly win but just as with the Rangers nine-zip win the night before, all wins are counted the same.

• Upvote 2

On 3/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, EM31 said:

I assume we resign Randle to whatever deal he is entitled to.

We were definitely not point guard heavy last night.  Ugly win but just as with the Rangers nine-zip win the night before, all wins are counted the same.

I thought Frank played well.  What he does will never appear in a box score but he was effective on defense.  IQ is probably our pg of the future

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Nice comeback win

First time I had a hard time watching.  It was just painful at times.  Great win though, and puts them back in a nice spot.  I'd love to see them finally crack the 2-over-.500 mark.

One thing for sure...RJ Barrett is proving the doubters wrong.  He may not be a superstar quite yet, but he's damned good and has proven worth the #3 pick in that draft.  

Toppin on the other hand.  Ugh.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

First time I had a hard time watching.  It was just painful at times.  Great win though, and puts them back in a nice spot.  I'd love to see them finally crack the 2-over-.500 mark.

One thing for sure...RJ Barrett is proving the doubters wrong.  He may not be a superstar quite yet, but he's damned good and has proven worth the #3 pick in that draft.  

And I don't think he has yet reached his full man size.  If he is a physical intimidator now then that is only going to get better for a while yet.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nycdan said:

RJ was nothing short of excellent last night 

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Thibs stubbornly playing Payton/Rose for 48 minutes per night is going to wreck this season.  

I get what you are saying but this season was always going to be a coming of age season anyway.  Hopefully we finish well enough to earn a winnable playoff series.  That and Robinson  making it back into the lineup.

21 hours ago, EM31 said:

I get what you are saying but this season was always going to be a coming of age season anyway.  Hopefully we finish well enough to earn a winnable playoff series.  That and Robinson  making it back into the lineup.

I really need a playoff appearance.  I don’t care if it’s the 10th seed and they get swept.  

34 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I really need a playoff appearance.  I don’t care if it’s the 10th seed and they get swept.  

Last night was definitely a winnable game and an important one in terms of what may be down the road.

This team needs to get better at winning the ones it *should* win.  I know that is new territory for this group but all good teams need to learn how to win on nights where the dealer isn't giving them a royal flush.

18 hours ago, EM31 said:

Last night was definitely a winnable game and an important one in terms of what may be down the road.

This team needs to get better at winning the ones it *should* win.  I know that is new territory for this group but all good teams need to learn how to win on nights where the dealer isn't giving them a royal flush.

I’m gonna be a broken record but Elfrid Payton is absolutely brutal.  Watching Thibs throw away the season playing this guy 35 minutes a night is nauseating

I finally feel like he's validated the pick at #3.  Morant is really good, and last year it felt like there was Zion, Morant, and everyone else, but now it feels like Barrett has entered the same conversation.  He's only 20.   Really exciting to see his game develop.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That is 100% the type of game the Knicks always blow. And ******* Barrett yet again coming through. Kid's got alligator blood. Huge pair of wins the last two games.

Knicks should extend Noel and Burks in the offseason. Crazy how useful those two have become in this system.

Agree 100% about Burks.  Extending Noel is tricky considering they also need to lock up Mitch long term.  Maybe they trade Mitch and lock up Noel 

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Agree 100% about Burks.  Extending Noel is tricky considering they also need to lock up Mitch long term.  Maybe they trade Mitch and lock up Noel 

They can afford both and Ball and Randle. Their payroll for next year is like 1/3 the luxury tax and it's literally zero dollars after that. For the first time in history they aren't ****ed for the next 5 years money-wise.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They can afford both and Ball and Randle. Their payroll for next year is like 1/3 the luxury tax and it's literally zero dollars after that. For the first time in history they aren't ****ed for the next 5 years money-wise.

I think we actually have a shot at Lonzo. Why? His dad is so desperate for attention he will jump at the chance to have one of his sons play in NY