Benefits Of Drafting Sewell

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not opposed to drafting  Penei Sewell but we need players who can throw,catch,run,QB-RB-WR who score points at #2 we can get a good one. 

Last I checked to win NFL games you need to score points. 

Our OL looked pretty good on Sunday vs Rams 

We still have Seattle's #1 and we'll have either the 1st or 2nd pick of the 2nd round as well.  I would imagine we can certainly find a WR.

• Upvote 2

Negatives 

- on a team devoid of talent adding another LT when we already have an elite player there seems unbalanced 

- we added an elite tackle this year and we went 1-13, did it have a positive impact at all?

- We are positioned nicely for one or two trade downs where we could add mode premium picks and still end up with a blue chip playmaker between pick 5-10

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A top RB like Etienne or Harris instantly improves the passing game. 

Ty Johnson and Josh Adams did pretty decent with this OL 

That was the misguided logic that led to the Bell signing.  OL make good RBs.  RBs are not drafted in the first round anymore.  And if they are, it's the missing piece for a very good team at the end of the round - Edwards-Helaire for example.  The Jets better not draft Etienne or Harris with any first or second round pick. Take a look at where RBs and WRs are drafted and who was drafted the last few seasons.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That was the misguided logic that led to the Bell signing.  OL make good RBs.  RBs are not drafted in the first round anymore.  And if they are, it's the missing piece for a very good team at the end of the round - Edwards-Helaire for example.  The Jets better not draft Etienne or Harris with any first or second round pick. Take a look at where RBs and WRs are drafted and who was drafted the last few seasons.  

The RB position is making a comeback in the NFL. 

Have you seen what Derrick Henry is doing for TENN. 

RB's like Etienne and Harris won't last until the second round. 

I like Sewell but does he move over to RT, does Becton?  I don't see that scenario happening as Fant has been the least of the O-Line's problems.  I doubt Fant moves to G, which is where we need the most help.  If McGovern can go back to playing G, we can address C and RG maybe in the second round or if someone really sticks out, with Seattle's pick. 

Sewell seems like a luxury pick to me.  He'd be very nice to have but does it put guys out of position on the O-Line? 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Negatives 

- on a team devoid of talent adding another LT when we already have an elite player there seems unbalanced 

- we added an elite tackle this year and we went 1-13, did it have a positive impact at all?

- We are positioned nicely for one or two trade downs where we could add mode premium picks and still end up with a blue chip playmaker between pick 5-10

1 LT is not going to change a team so lacking in talent as the Jets.  Becton was one of the few bright spots this season.  Playmakers don't have an impact on teams with bad OL and no QB. See Dallas post Prescott injury, Cincy post Burrow injury.  Plenty of skill players on those teams, but no room to run and no time to pass.  A team can't enough premier players on the offensive line.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Negatives 

Good points all!  And, tbh, I think trading down twice is what JD is going to do.  (though it will obviously depend on what JD thinks of these other QBs).

I do wonder what kind of return we'd be looking at if we traded down with Cincy (so they could draft Sewell) and then again with a team drafting maybe 8-12.  Obviously we have plenty of holes to fill so that wouldn't be the worst strategy.  Ideally we'd still be able to add impact players this year plus high round picks next year.  It would suck to somewhat "punt" on the 2021-22 season, especially when teams are able to turn things around pretty quickly in this day-and-age (Dolphins were crap last year but a playoff team this year) but I think JD had a lot of messes to deal with in his first year.

7 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Great player but what happens when we have to pay 2 tackles elite tackle money? Will Sewell want to play RT, or Becton who’s already playing at an elite LT level in the NFL? I thought Fant was pretty solid this year, would upgrading Fant change our team that much? I think we have bigger needs , like QB

It's a valid point.  Otoh, if we're taking a QB, we'd better be pretty certain that he's worthy of it.  Picking the wrong QB can really set a franchise back several years.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't care about RBs with this OL.  We would need a quality WR though (though I think I've read this is another very good WR draft).

It is a fairly deep WR draft which is good. I would hope in any scenario though that JD signs a WR in FA.

Allen Robinson - Wouldn't mind ARob at all, but he's most likely going to a contender and it's well deserved. He's consistently put up pro bowl numbers with dogsh*t throwing him the ball.

Chris Godwin - I hope he's the one who ends up on the Jets but not likely. Still very young (24) and incredibly talented. At the end of the day the Bucs would be fools not to re-sign him.

Corey Davis - He's my backup plan. I don't think the Titans end up re-signing him and he is progressing into a legitimate WR1. If the Jets miss out on the big four then I don't mind if they end up with Corey Davis.

Kenny Golladay - He's a beast when healthy, but he's been a little too banged up for my liking. He's also going to warrant a pretty healthy contract like Allen Robinson and may also want to go to a contender.

Juju - Juju is a slot receiver. His off the field antics have turned me off also. I don't see him as a WR who can carry a team if need be like a true WR1. I do see him hitting the market and won't be upset if he ends up being a Jet.

If JD misses out on all of these guys then it'll have to be a WR with Seattle's pick. More likely than not guys like Chase, D. Smith and Waddle will be gone. My hope in that scenario is that Bateman is there for the taking.

• Upvote 1

Im not opposed to drafting  Penei Sewell but we need players who can throw,catch,run,QB-RB-WR who score points at #2 we can get a good one. 
Last I checked to win NFL games you need to score points. 
Our OL looked pretty good on Sunday vs Rams 
Football is a team sport having a strong offensive line allows recievers more time to get open, gives a qb more time to make a smart decision, gives rb better holes to run through. We need almost every role replaced on this team because we are terrible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

1 LT is not going to change a team so lacking in talent as the Jets.  Becton was one of the few bright spots this season.  Playmakers don't have an impact on teams with bad OL and no QB. See Dallas post Prescott injury, Cincy post Burrow injury.  Plenty of skill players on those teams, but no room to run and no time to pass.  A team can't enough premier players on the offensive line.  

It would also give the team a real identity, a strong suit that other teams can’t match especially with the shortage of good OL talent in the league. You sign Thuney in free agency and you’ve got the best OL in the league right there

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Agreed.  As much as RT seems like an "not sexy" pick, we could really build a dominant OL with 2 absolute beasts.  It would be an interesting approach to building a team.  And it's not like any of these other QBs are a guarantee (plus one could even fall to us at Seattle's pick).  

I would take the tackle and go after Etienne or Harris. Build an elite running game - look at what it did for Tannehill.

Perhaps coupling and elite OL/running game with Darnold and hiring Arthur Smith as HC, we could recreate some of the magic they have going on in Tennessee 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I would take the tackle and go after Etienne or Harris. Build an elite running game - look at what it did for Tannehill.

Perhaps coupling and elite OL/running game with Darnold and hiring Arthur Smith as HC, we could recreate some of the magic they have going on in Tennessee 

I've kind of adopted the Titans as the team I'll root for in the post-season.  I love that style of play.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Strongly agree. I would even trade up with the Seattle pick to make sure we get one of those rb’s. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Ridiculous! Plenty of good players, my god Alvin Kamara was taken in 2nd round. 

Do you think these 3 last until the 2nd round? 

3. Najee Harris, Alabama Crimson Tide

8 OF 10

785870bdc6eb95f15396c5c641fc0215_crop_ex
L.G. Patterson/Associated Press

When Najee Harris, formerly an elite recruit and presently the workhorse of Alabama's running game, elected to return for another season in Tuscaloosa, he probably thought it would start out a little better.

Through two games, the 6'2", 230-pound senior from Antioch, California, has mustered 141 yards and five touchdowns, though he's averaging just 4.9 yards per carry.

It's going to take a Herculean effort the rest of the way for Harris to match his 1,224 rushing yards, 304 receiving yards and eye-popping 20 total touchdowns from a season ago. 

Even if he doesn't get there, he's still a major threat to bust out and carry the Crimson Tide at any time. And even though head coach Nick Sabanand offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian like to throw the ball around a lot with guys like DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle and John Metchie III, they still rely on Harris.

Though a bit of a slow start probably means the Heisman Trophy is out of the question, Harris isn't worried about that.

"I wasn't really focused on it," he said, per Bama Insider's Tony Tsoukalas. "As a running back, it's hard to win the Heisman if we're being realistic here, nowadays, especially with all these great quarterbacks."

While the top two backs on this list are going to impress draft scouts across the NFL, Harris is perhaps college football's most complete runner. He can catch passes out of the backfield, run between the tackles and display breakaway speed.

There will be a point this season at which Alabama relies heavily on Harris, much like it did a season ago, and he will be right there to answer the call and keep improving his stock. He is an elite offensive playmaker.

2. Travis Etienne, Clemson Tigers

9 OF 10

de9df219d404db5c4a52a4e9ba6facfa_crop_ex
Rick Scuteri/Associated Press

There is no more accomplished running back in all of college football than Travis Etienne.

Perhaps that's why it was stunning when he eschewed the NFL draft after yet another sterling season a year ago to come back and try to help Clemson win another national title after falling short against LSU in the championship game.

It wasn't because of Etienne that they didn't win; he has been a brilliant collegian who will go down as a Tigers legend and one of the best running backs to ever play in the ACC. The two conference Offensive Player of the Year honors are proof of that.

After a 766-yard freshman campaign, Etienne became the full-time starter, and the rest is history. During a national championship season in his sophomore year, the Louisiana native ran for 1,658 yards and scored 26 total touchdowns.

He followed that up last season with 1,614 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns to lead Clemson. Though quarterback Trevor Lawrence gets a lot of the headlines, Etienne is the team's leader and has been throughout his career.

This season, he hasn't wowed everybody yet, running for 243 yards and two touchdowns on 6.2 yards per carry through three games. But to be fair, he hasn't played but one full contest. Against The Citadel and Wake Forest, the 5'10", 205-pound runner sat for large portions of the game.

With the news that dynamic freshman Demarkcus Bowman transferred from Clemson to Florida, Etienne has a little less depth behind him, so he may wind up with even more carries moving forward.

Could this be the year he wins the Heisman Trophy? If he has a massive game against Miami this weekend, it may be his turn to do just that. It would add nicely to all the hardware already in his trophy case.

ADVERTISEMENT

1. Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State Cowboys

10 OF 10

9fdf4a87b6201dc8af8b7b7a52310d82_crop_ex
Orlin Wagner/Associated Press

It's difficult to have the kind of season Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard had a year ago and still be considered underrated, but he certainly is.

That's what happens when you lead the nation with 2,094 rushing yards, score 21 touchdowns, add nearly 200 more receiving yards and don't even get invited to the Heisman Trophy ceremony. Yes, he won the Big 12's Offensive Player of the Year award, but how do you have that type of year and get spurned?

Even more ridiculous is that he was down on several lists of NFL-ready running backs (like this one from CBS Sports' Josh Edwards), which may be a reason he returned for 2020. That's preposterous, as well.

The 6'0", 208-pound Canadian runner has the size to run between the tackles, and anybody who has watched the Cowboys play knows he can make house calls with the best of them, routinely breaking 60-yard scoring runs.

After quarterback Spencer Sanders went down with an injury in the opener, defenses have stacked the box against Hubbard, and he's still found space. He ground out a 93-yard performance in a close season-opening win over Tulsa then followed it up with 101 yards against West Virginia and 145 more versus Kansas.

That's more like it. Oklahoman writer Scott Wright mentioned Hubbard looked like his "usual self" against the Jayhawks. Yes, the competition was down a tick, but it's just the beginning of things to come.

Through three games, he has 339 yards and four touchdowns, and those numbers are going to get better once Sanders returns, too.

Hubbard can do everything you'd want a running back to do, and though he isn't a massive weapon in the passing game, he can serve as one. As much as head coach Mike Gundy likes to throw the ball around, Hubbard has been the epicenter of the Cowboys offense throughout his career.

That's for good reason. He's the best running back in college football.

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  As much as RT seems like an "not sexy" pick, we could really build a dominant OL with 2 absolute beasts.  It would be an interesting approach to building a team.  And it's not like any of these other QBs are a guarantee (plus one could even fall to us at Seattle's pick).  

You don’t need to take a tackle at 2 to do that. There’s plenty of OL in the draft you can switch over to the right side. 
Interior is what we need. Not to convert a 2nd overall pick to RT. 

• Upvote 2