Benefits Of Drafting Sewell

Draft Sewell at 2.  Let Sewell and Becton fight it out for Left tackle in camp.  Becton has played right tackle in college.  Build the wall.  Whichever one ends up at right tackle,  you have both for at least 4 years and you have time to draft their replacement.

Eflein and Mcgovern have not been absolute disasters.  They actually have looked Ok.  I remember a lot of people here wanted to draft them when they were coming out.  The Jets now have both.  The only weak spot would be at right guard. If they can sign Thuney,  Let Eflein and Van Roten fight it out for the starting right guard spot.  Cut Fant and save 8 million.  Keep Edoga as a cheap backup swing tackle.

Draft Najee with the second 1st as Etienne will most likely be gone by that pick.

Sam still stinks,  but The Jets are stuck with him for one more year.  Maybe Trask with the early 2nd rounder.  I would prefer edge or corner with this pick.  Tylan Wallace in the 3rd.  To add another weapon.

Sam looked terrible again today.  Ugh.  I had so much hope.  He is only 23.  That's the only thing he has going for him.

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Who is the lock generational QB prospect in this draft?  Fields?  Ohio State QBs make USC Qbs look good in the NFL.

Elway, Luck, Lawrence = generational. Enough with the generational talk. 

JD needs to go out and find the best QB available at # 2 in my opinion. I don’t care what school. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Truth said:

Draft Sewell at 2.  Let Sewell and Becton fight it out for Left tackle in camp.  Becton has played right tackle in college.  Build the wall.  Whichever one ends up at right tackle,  you have both for at least 4 years and you have time to draft their replacement.

Eflein and Mcgovern have not been absolute disasters.  They actually have looked Ok.  I remember a lot of people here wanted to draft them when they were coming out.  The Jets now have both.  The only weak spot would be at right guard. If they can sign Thuney,  Let Eflein and Van Roten fight it out for the starting right guard spot.  Cut Fant and save 8 million.  Keep Edoga as a cheap backup swing tackle.

Draft Najee with the second 1st as Etienne will most likely be gone by that pick.

Sam still stinks,  but The Jets are stuck with him for one more year.  Maybe Trask with the early 2nd rounder.  I would prefer edge or corner with this pick.  Tylan Wallace in the 3rd.  To add another weapon.

Sam looked terrible again today.  Ugh.  I had so much hope.  He is only 23.  That's the only thing he has going for him.

Dont have the exactly same valuation of certain players - but we're on the same logic sinewave. 

QB: Sam to compete with 1 vet (garrapolo/Winston/Brisset etc) and a rookie to compete with Morgan (Trask/Jones)

Spend the rest on Oline and playmakers this year. Prioritize Defense in FA and next year. I'm ok if we lose games  34-31 next year. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

Elway, Luck, Lawrence = generational. Enough with the generational talk. 

JD needs to go out and find the best QB available at # 2 in my opinion. I don’t care what school. 

You don’t think it’s an issue that Barret, Jones and Haskins all played at the same school, same coaching staff, same system and similar weapons to Fields?

On 12/23/2020 at 3:36 PM, joewilly12 said:

Im not opposed to drafting  Penei Sewell but we need players who can throw,catch,run,QB-RB-WR who score points at #2 we can get a good one. 

Last I checked to win NFL games you need to score points. 

Our OL looked pretty good on Sunday vs Rams 

That was one game and I agree with you but an OL would be fine if we thought he was worth it. That I am not sure remember becton was not the number one guy.

14 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

That was one game and I agree with you but an OL would be fine if we thought he was worth it. That I am not sure remember becton was not the number one guy.

Haters not only drink the "everything Darnold does is lucky or suck" cool-aid, they bath in them in Jetsian meltdown fashion.  

Tom Brady, Big Ben, Mahomes, Rodgers all look crappy and make error throws...but Sam sucks because he has top 10 worst oline, worst group of wide outs, tight ends and running backs.

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2020 at 9:25 PM, jetstream23 said:

Jets should bring back Perriman and will still have Mims and Crowder.  To that group I still think you want to do the ole "Sign one, Draft one" approach.  Would love Robinson, JuJu or Godwin and then find a decent WR in the Round 3-4 area.   Let Berrios and two Smiths fight to see if they can force the Jets into keeping a WR6 on the active roster.

I agree with this even still. The more I think about it the more I think Curtis Samuel should be a definite priority signing at the WR position. He won't cost as much as the top guys and I think he'll be as effective in this style of offense. 

I'd still look to also draft another WR like you said in rounds 3-4 or even 2 depending on if anyone falls. 

• Upvote 2

Love Sewell and would be thrilled to add him to the Jets OL.

But here's a management maxim:  Don't build tomorrows problems with todays decisions.  So it isn't just everything is fine for five years and then you make a contract decision.

You have to use the interview process to get a feel for how both Becton and Sewell will react to being paired in a competition for the LT slot.  It could work but it probably wouldn't.  And remember, these guys have agents telling them that whoever ends up at RT gets screwed for $ down the line.

Saleh argued in his interview that the role of the coach was to convince the players that they were doing everything possible to help each make the maximum $ possible during their careers.  This would run counter to that mantra.

Alternatively, what else is available at RT and how good do you think they will be.  Sewell is probably better, but how much better?

It's why you use the interview process as part of the evaluation.  Otherwise you end up with Jamal, or Levion, or Orlando Brown, or Watson.  Doesn't mean you don't sign them.  But maybe these are the guys you let walk in FA.  

And for all the headache that was Jamal.  Jets made a nice profit by drafting him.

I am not against drafting another lineman high but I think the smarter thing to do is trading back taking Slater and banking extra picks.  Slater can also slide into any of the 5 positions. I think some people fall in love with some of these players that get a lot of pub there's a bunch of really good O-lineman prospects in the first round of this draft.

• Sympathy 1

Trade down from 2.  hope Miami ( 3,18 try for 81 also)  or Lions ( 7, 41 and two firsts next year ) want to jump up.  at  at three you still have your choice of QB's minus Lawrence. at 7 one of  Fields, Wilson or Lance.  will be there.  maybe you roll back from 3.  If you want a QB i think you need to stay ahead of the Jags and you will still get one of the top 4 and a bunch of picks to build with. 

Of Course Cincy might want to jump up to grab Sewel to protect their young QB 

• Thumb Down 1

On 2/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, Gotham-City-Sparky said:

Trade down from 2.  hope Miami ( 3,18 try for 81 also)  or Lions ( 7, 41 and two firsts next year ) want to jump up.  at  at three you still have your choice of QB's minus Lawrence. at 7 one of  Fields, Wilson or Lance.  will be there.  maybe you roll back from 3.  If you want a QB i think you need to stay ahead of the Jags and you will still get one of the top 4 and a bunch of picks to build with. 

Of Course Cincy might want to jump up to grab Sewel to protect their young QB 

But don’t they already have Jonah?

There’s a ton of good offensive lineman prospects in this draft. There’s no reason to take one 2nd overall. Take your QB 2nd, then at 23 or 34 you can get guys like Vera-Tucker, Wyatt Davis, Darrishaw, Leatherwood, Mayfield, Eichenberg etc etc. there’s literally a million good offensive lineman in this draft, you do not need to take one 2nd overall 

• Upvote 1

Trade out of #2, draft an OL with the #1 you receive in trade. Draft an Edge with the Seattle pick.

All this talk of needing to draft WRs high is misplaced. The Jets have guys that, if they all don't get hamstrings, are decent: Crowder, Mims, Perriman, Berrios, Smith (either) and I'm sure Jets could sign a FA. Get BIG, athletic guys with high picks.

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Trade out of #2, draft an OL with the #1 you receive in trade. Draft an Edge with the Seattle pick.

All this talk of needing to draft WRs high is misplaced. The Jets have guys that, if they all don't get hamstrings, are decent: Crowder, Mims, Perriman, Berrios, Smith (either) and I'm sure Jets could sign a FA. Get BIG, athletic guys with high picks.

giphy.gif

On 12/27/2020 at 1:29 PM, hungry jackson said:

Fields will definitely not be the 2nd pick.

Remember when Geno was hyped at the 1st pick. He went home when he was not drafted in the first round.  I see Fields as a late first round pick.

geno was never, ever hyped as the 1st pick in the draft....he was thought of to be a 1st rd pick but his personality shined through and the GM's were not going to waste a 1st rounder on him. He was worth a shot in the 2nd...didnt pan out either way but it was worth a shot. 

3 hours ago, phill1c said:

was with you until you said that bolded part........this is not a good enough group even if they are injury free. We need a #1 and as much as I like Mims we need another starter

On 12/28/2020 at 4:58 PM, Newjetsfan said:

Haters not only drink the "everything Darnold does is lucky or suck" cool-aid, they bath in them in Jetsian meltdown fashion.  

Tom Brady, Big Ben, Mahomes, Rodgers all look crappy and make error throws...but Sam sucks because he has top 10 worst oline, worst group of wide outs, tight ends and running backs.

thats not the only reason he sucks

On 2/7/2021 at 1:05 PM, Philc1 said:

So far the most compelling argument for not drafting Sewell is 5 years down the road after him making multiple pro bowls he might demand to play LT.

So draft him at 2, lose out on a future draft picks from trading down and maybe lose him after rookie contract because he’ll demand a trade/want to be paid just as much as a LT. 
Or just draft one at 23 or round 2 and have a rock solid RT for his whole career. 

Keep in mind, crappy QBs, makes OLs look crappy.

Good QBs make crappy OLs look serviceable  about 80% of the time.

Luck never really had a good one....

Watson won a passing title with a crappy one, but did not go anywhere cause other parts of the team were crappy. So I doubt a better OL would have changed much in Houston for him to win that title.

Even after the SB, OL is not a top 5 pick for me. Tunsil is one of the better tackles in the league....but it was the same $hit, different lineman in Houston. He did not change much.......they actually got worst, missing the postseason. The biggest impact was them losing D-Hop.

KC was out-coached. Reid kept going to the big play well, cause that is all he knows. Pat is great vs blitz; so I think other factors were at play here.....

• WTF? 1

On 2/8/2021 at 10:24 PM, phill1c said:

When is your next rant to get me in trouble?