Benefits Of Drafting Sewell

It sounds good on paper, but would really be a bad idea.

#1-Immediately he is going to lose value because you playing him at right tackle. Also a position he didn’t play in college. Is he going to be happy playing right tackle? 

#2-Is him being an upgrade over George Fant really going to make that much of a difference? A new QB certainly will. 

#3-Best case scenario if both he and Becton become what you think they will you will be allocating 35-40 percent of your cap to the tackle position. If the Jets do find a QB there is no way they would be able to pay all three. 

Again, it looks good on paper, but it just doesn’t make a ton of sense. The Jets drafting Sewell would be akin to the Bengals drafting Lawrence. 

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[Obviously we all want Trevor but let's assume that Jax loses out] -Maybe the safest pick in the draft (or 2nd next to Trevor?) and at an important position -It would help both the running g

You draft Sewell, find a center to join Becton and company, and you could put my grandmother at running back. She'd bang out 1,000 yards easy. And she's no longer even with us.

Make it so! Also draft a Center

Posted Images

I could see picking a QB there but adding Sewell would immediately make this line a strategic advantage and set the team with balance in attack (almost guaranteed to be dominant running the ball) we haven't had since 2009. 

If Sam or whoever plays well (and given Mims Y2 and likely signing a WR in FA, they will have lots of time to work) you have a truly balanced and dangerous offense. Otherwise, you can ground and pound successfully for years while you ID your FQB. 

If Douglas believes in Sam this is a really attractive scenario. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

[Obviously we all want Trevor but let's assume that Jax loses out]

-Maybe the safest pick in the draft (or 2nd next to Trevor?) and at an important position

-It would help both the running game (we'd be dominant/ferocious running to either side) and the passing game (we'd have protection regardless of how the defense lined up their pass rushers.  And it should be easier to acquire an OG)

-It would take the pressure off Sam.  We could beat the crap out of teams running the ball for a half followed by letting them overplay the run, making life easier on Sam

-We could probably plug in anyone at RB and have them be successful.  

-We could play keep-away from the great passing teams in our conference.  A lot of 10-15 play clock-eating drives where we ram it down their throats.  This would probably be the ideal offense for Chad Pennington

-He'd be a heck of a "backup LT" in case Becton's injuries become a semi-regular thing.

-It would certainly give the Jets an identity.  

Love the benefits. Any side effects?

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, StrawberryFields said:

It sounds good on paper, but would really be a bad idea.

#1-Immediately he is going to lose value because you playing him at right tackle. Also a position he didn’t play in college. Is he going to be happy playing right tackle? 

#2-Is him being an upgrade over George Fant really going to make that much of a difference? A new QB certainly will. 

#3-Best case scenario if both he and Becton become what you think they will you will be allocating 35-40 percent of your cap to the tackle position. If the Jets do find a QB there is no way they would be able to pay all three. 

Again, it looks good on paper, but it just doesn’t make a ton of sense. The Jets drafting Sewell would be akin to the Bengals drafting Lawrence. 

Counter point, the last time the Jets made the playoffs in the last 10 years they had Brick and Woody at OT and were awesome. With that pair of behemoth OT’s the Jets will have a dominant line for the next 10 years 

• Upvote 2
41 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Was curious how many teams currently have two first rd Tackles on their starting OL.  The answer, as best I can tell, is 3.  Browns, Falcons, and Niners. Falcons only team that both are homegrown.

Would be an atypical roster build.

The 49ers won last year with a mediocre QB 

9 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Counter point, the last time the Jets made the playoffs in the last 10 years they had Brick and Woody at OT and were awesome. With that pair of behemoth OT’s the Jets will have a dominant line for the next 10 years 

Woody was picked up in FA on the cheap.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Was curious how many teams currently have two first rd Tackles on their starting OL.  The answer, as best I can tell, is 3.  Browns, Falcons, and Niners. Falcons only team that both are homegrown.

Would be an atypical roster build.

Philly (both injured), Houston, Indy has a first round center and G, Giants (Solder opted out for season), Ravens (Stanley & Fluker at G), Detroit has a first round LT & C. If the Jets don’t take Sewell then the Bengals will likely have him and Jonah Williams

Taking a QB has more value than taking Sewell. Trading down and taking Darrisaw has more value than taking Sewell. Taking Surtain Jr has more value than taking Sewell.  Not signing Allen Robinson and taking Ja’marr Chase has more value than taking Sewell.

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I’m saying you’re not gonna be able to pay Becton then the next year pay Sewell if they both end up All-Pro status. 

Dallas pays several all-pro’s on their line, any time you have a good opportunity to stack you OL with elite talent you do it. If later on down the road you decide to go another direction you can trade either for a bounty of picks 

• Upvote 2
Just now, cant wait said:

They made Faneca the leagues highest paid OL for $40M/5 years and then paid Woody $25.5M/5, that’s a sizable investment for back then

That’s cool. Get Thuney, Taylor Moton, Corey Linsley, Daryl Williams, Brandon Scherff, Riley Reiff or whoever else represents an improvement in FA. Go wild. Do not build a team around the worst starting QB in the league over the past 3 years. Sign $50million in OL and you still have $30million to spend on the WR. Do that but use 2 overall to draft a QB. If Wilson or Fields is league average he’s huge value over an elite OT like Sewell. 

Just now, kdels62 said:

That’s cool. Get Thuney, Taylor Moton, Corey Linsley, Daryl Williams, Brandon Scherff, Riley Reiff or whoever else represents an improvement in FA. Go wild. Do not build a team around the worst starting QB in the league over the past 3 years. Sign $50million in OL and you still have $30million to spend on the WR. Do that but use 2 overall to draft a QB. If Wilson or Fields is league average he’s huge value over an elite OT like Sewell. 

I’d rather just take the slam dunk pick at 2 and target a QB with Seattle’s pick. You can’t rush these kids and I’m not convinced any of them will be ready to start day 1 especially with this shortened season. I would like to go wild and sign Allen Robinson in FA and one of those G’s too if we can get them

7 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I’d rather just take the slam dunk pick at 2 and target a QB with Seattle’s pick. You can’t rush these kids and I’m not convinced any of them will be ready to start day 1 especially with this shortened season. I would like to go wild and sign Allen Robinson in FA and one of those G’s too if we can get them

Except Wilson and Fields give a higher chance of elite play than the guys you get at Seattle pick. However, the gap in impact between Sewell and say Sam Cosmi or Liam Eichenberg or Rashawn Slater who we can get at the Seattle pick is lesser than than the potential impact of Wilson vs. Kyle Trask.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

-It would help both the running game (we'd be dominant/ferocious running to either side) and the passing game (we'd have protection regardless of how the defense lined up their pass rushers.  And it should be easier to acquire an OG)

-It would take the pressure off Sam.  We could beat the crap out of teams running the ball for a half followed by letting them overplay the run, making life easier on Sam

Sigh 

No. 

Why do we have to spend resources to “make life easier” for a bad QB? 

why not just upgrade at QB and then build around that guy? 

I’m not interested in playing around the QB anymore. We tried that with Sanchez.

This is 2020 - we need a QB who can really play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
1 hour ago, cant wait said:

Slam dunk?

Tony Manderich, Jason Smith, Robert Gallery. Weren’t those guys 2nd overall picks?

You invest the 2nd overall pick on oline when you need that building block. The Jets already have that guy in Becton. The Jets can build a dominate oline without Penei Sewell. 

2 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

It is a fairly deep WR draft which is good. I would hope in any scenario though that JD signs a WR in FA.

Allen Robinson - Wouldn't mind ARob at all, but he's most likely going to a contender and it's well deserved. He's consistently put up pro bowl numbers with dogsh*t throwing him the ball.

Chris Godwin - I hope he's the one who ends up on the Jets but not likely. Still very young (24) and incredibly talented. At the end of the day the Bucs would be fools not to re-sign him.

Corey Davis - He's my backup plan. I don't think the Titans end up re-signing him and he is progressing into a legitimate WR1. If the Jets miss out on the big four then I don't mind if they end up with Corey Davis.

Kenny Golladay - He's a beast when healthy, but he's been a little too banged up for my liking. He's also going to warrant a pretty healthy contract like Allen Robinson and may also want to go to a contender.

Juju - Juju is a slot receiver. His off the field antics have turned me off also. I don't see him as a WR who can carry a team if need be like a true WR1. I do see him hitting the market and won't be upset if he ends up being a Jet.

If JD misses out on all of these guys then it'll have to be a WR with Seattle's pick. More likely than not guys like Chase, D. Smith and Waddle will be gone. My hope in that scenario is that Bateman is there for the taking.

Jets should bring back Perriman and will still have Mims and Crowder.  To that group I still think you want to do the ole "Sign one, Draft one" approach.  Would love Robinson, JuJu or Godwin and then find a decent WR in the Round 3-4 area.   Let Berrios and two Smiths fight to see if they can force the Jets into keeping a WR6 on the active roster.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Sigh 

No. 

Why do we have to spend resources to “make life easier” for a bad QB? 

why not just upgrade at QB and then build around that guy? 

I’m not interested in playing around the QB anymore. We tried that with Sanchez.

This is 2020 - we need a QB who can really play. 

Because we no longer are in position to draft Trevor Lawrence and all of the other guys seem pretty risky (though let’s see how things develop leading up to the draft).  

Drafting the wrong QB would be a disaster.  Passing up a potential HOF OT for the wrong QB would be worse. And we still haven't seen what Sam can do given protection/weapons/coaching (which we can provide him next year).  Keep in mind that Eli broke out in his 4th year. 

• Upvote 1

Dallas pays several all-pro’s on their line, any time you have a good opportunity to stack you OL with elite talent you do it. If later on down the road you decide to go another direction you can trade either for a bounty of picks 

The Cowboys don’t have an OL in the top 10 salary wise. Martin is 13th and Smith is 21st. The problem is that both players contracts will be up in back to back years. If they both end up as dominant as we’d like, in this scenario, it will take some salary cap genius work to make it happen. Don’t hate this idea but there’s concern.

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-gallery/sports/heat-index/2017/01/06/ranking-nfl-offensive-linemen-by-salary/96244950/