Benefits Of Drafting Sewell

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Because we no longer are in position to draft Trevor Lawrence and all of the other guys seem pretty risky (though let’s see how things develop leading up to the draft).  

Drafting the wrong QB would be a disaster.  Passing up a potential HOF OT for the wrong QB would be worse. And we still haven't seen what Sam can do given protection/weapons/coaching (which we can provide him next year).  Keep in mind that Eli broke out in his 4th year. 

The Jets already HAVE a potential HOF tackle on the roster. What they NEED is a capable QB. It is Joe Douglas’s job to find one. 

Because we no longer are in position to draft Trevor Lawrence and all of the other guys seem pretty risky (though let’s see how things develop leading up to the draft).  

Drafting the wrong QB would be a disaster.  Passing up a potential HOF OT for the wrong QB would be worse. And we still haven't seen what Sam can do given protection/weapons/coaching (which we can provide him next year).  Keep in mind that Eli broke out in his 4th year. 

Eli had already made the playoffs in his 2nd and 3rd seasons and wasn’t the lowest ranked QB in the league at the end of year 3. Eli was also an iron man, who legitimately never missed a start.  

What’s risky is sticking with the worst starter in the league longer than we have to. JD doesn’t have to use the #2 pick on a QB if he doesn’t like any of them enough, but Fields, Wilson, and Lance are all worthy of consideration over a guy who just went 2.5 months between 200 yard games. 

Building around a bad QB doesn’t make any sense. If the Jets keep Darnold, they need to bring in a legit vet to compete with him OR give Morgan a legit shot to win the job. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Eli had already made the playoffs in his 2nd and 3rd seasons and wasn’t the lowest ranked QB in the league at the end of year 3. Eli was also an iron man, who legitimately never missed a start.  

What’s risky is sticking with the worst starter in the league longer than we have to. JD doesn’t have to use the #2 pick on a QB if he doesn’t like any of them enough, but Fields, Wilson, and Lance are all worthy of consideration over a guy who just went 2.5 months between 200 yard games. 

Building around a bad QB doesn’t make any sense. If the Jets keep Darnold, they need to bring in a legit vet to compete with him OR give Morgan a legit shot to win the job

One of these QBs might fall to the Seattle 1st rounder, should JD like them. 

One of these QBs might fall to the Seattle 1st rounder, should JD like them. 

That’s fine.

But I’m not rolling into next season with Sam as the unquestioned starter. He simply hasn’t earned that privilege. You don’t go 1-13 with a legit 3rd year franchise QB leading the way. 

If he’s on the roster next year, he has to compete for the job. 

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

And pass on Wilson who goes on to become Justin Herbert? Who’s playing QB for us? When are we ever going to get production out of the QB position 

Let’s see how things develop.  It would suck to waste a high draft pick on a QB that is mediocre and not the long-term answer.   Not saying Wilson is that but I don’t want to take a QB just for the sake of doing so. If we’re going to take one then I hope we “shoot for the moon” and go for Trey Lance. 

50 minutes ago, HessStation said:

The Cowboys don’t have an OL in the top 10 salary wise. Martin is 13th and Smith is 21st. The problem is that both players contracts will be up in back to back years. If they both end up as dominant as we’d like, in this scenario, it will take some salary cap genius work to make it happen. Don’t hate this idea but there’s concern.

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-gallery/sports/heat-index/2017/01/06/ranking-nfl-offensive-linemen-by-salary/96244950/

They also just paid Collins $50M too... it amazes me how they are able to stay under the cap with all the big contracts on their roster and their QB due a big payday

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

[Obviously we all want Trevor but let's assume that Jax loses out]

-Maybe the safest pick in the draft (or 2nd next to Trevor?) and at an important position

-It would help both the running game (we'd be dominant/ferocious running to either side) and the passing game (we'd have protection regardless of how the defense lined up their pass rushers.  And it should be easier to acquire an OG)

-It would take the pressure off Sam.  We could beat the crap out of teams running the ball for a half followed by letting them overplay the run, making life easier on Sam

-We could probably plug in anyone at RB and have them be successful.  

-We could play keep-away from the great passing teams in our conference.  A lot of 10-15 play clock-eating drives where we ram it down their throats.  This would probably be the ideal offense for Chad Pennington

-He'd be a heck of a "backup LT" in case Becton's injuries become a semi-regular thing.

-It would certainly give the Jets an identity.  

RT isn’t that important of a position (which then people like to interpret as though I’m saying it’s an unimportant position). The Jets already have a great young LT.

Obviously I’d prefer to draft a great RT to a bust or other letdown at a bigger hole that’s harder to fill, but I’d rather the team fills a hole that’s not as easily filled without such a high draft pick. It’s never been a requirement, for any team expecting to build a winner, to expend the #2 pick in the country to upgrade the RT position. 

• Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Let’s see how things develop.  It would suck to waste a high draft pick on a QB that is mediocre and not the long-term answer.   Not saying Wilson is that but I don’t want to take a QB just for the sake of doing so. If we’re going to take one then I hope we “shoot for the moon” and go for Trey Lance. 

It would also suck passing on a QB who goes on to be Deshawn Watson or Patrick Mahomes. When is this team ever in a position to draft a top QB? This is the year to do it 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

RT isn’t that important of a position. The Jets already have a great young LT. 

Obviously I’d prefer to draft a great RT to a bust or other letdown at a bigger hole that’s harder to fill, but I’d rather the team fills a hole that’s not as easily filled without such a high draft pick. It’s never been a requirement, for any team expecting to build a winner, to expend the #2 pick in the country to upgrade the RT position. 

Becton moves to RT in that case, Sewell is better than him. Keep in mind the #2 pick makes over 8M a year so you want as close to a sure thing as possible. If that player happens to be a WR or pass rusher that’s fine but for now the OT is the consensus best player after Lawrence

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

It would also suck passing on a QB who goes on to be Deshawn Watson or Patrick Mahomes. When is this team ever in a position to draft a top QB? This is the year to do it 

Just because you take a QB at the top doesn’t mean he’s going to be any good. There is no guy who’s anywhere close to Lawrence in this draft sorry I wanted him too

6 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Becton moves to RT in that case, Sewell is better than him. Keep in mind the #2 pick makes over 8M a year so you want as close to a sure thing as possible. If that player happens to be a WR or pass rusher that’s fine but for now the OT is the consensus best player after Lawrence

Then you’re still effectively using the #2 pick to fill the RT position. It matters not whether you’re using Becton or Sewell at RT or LT. 

LT is a position that’s already filled more than adequately. You’re talking about using the #2 pick in the country to upgrade the RT position. 

I’d trade down 10x out of 10 before doing that on a team with this many holes.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then you’re still effectively using the #2 pick to fill the RT position. It matters not whether you’re using Becton or Sewell at RT or LT. 

LT is a position that’s already filled more than adequately. You’re talking about using the #2 pick in the country to upgrade the RT position. 

Depends what you can get. If Miami wants to give us their pick and Houston’s I’d do it otherwise I want to build the best OL in the league 

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Agreed but I’m thinking we might be getting carried away with some of these other guys because we just blew our chance at an all-time prospect in Trevor.  We just watched Zach Wilson destroy UCF at a time when we were “at our most vulnerable” - lol.  I’m guilty of it too with Trey Lance, btw. 

Luckily, it’s not our call.  Joe D has a very big draft coming up. 

3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Depends what you can get. If Miami wants to give us their pick and Houston’s I’d do it otherwise I want to build the best OL in the league 

If Sewell is projected to be all that, and teams have good young QBs on their roster but poor blindside blocking, and the next-best LT prospect isn’t half the talent Sewell is, then they’d get plenty in return. 

This is supposed to be the value in hitting on a high value position, and that high value position being the next BAP when we’re on the clock. Just like a team with the QB position filled, whose slot up top is where QB is the value pick. 

Unless it’s one of the final 2-3 holes on the team being filled, you never take a lower-third value position with such a high pick. And picking a position already filled, forcing one of the two to move to said lower-value position, is the same as taking a safety or MLB at #6, a center anywhere in or near the top 10, a kicker in the top half of round 2, etc.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Sewell is projected to be all that, and teams have good young QBs on their roster but poor blindside blocking, and the next-best LT prospect isn’t half the talent Sewell is, then they’d get plenty in return. 

This is supposed to be the value in hitting on a high value position, and that high value position being the next BAP when we’re on the clock. Just like a team with the QB position filled, whose slot up top is where QB is the value pick. 

Unless it’s one of the final 2-3 holes on the team being filled, you never take a lower-third value position with such a high pick. And picking a position already filled, forcing one of the two to move to said lower-value position, is the same as taking a safety or MLB at #6, a center anywhere in or near the top 10, a kicker in the top half of round 2, etc.

Joe Douglas was in Philly when they made their RT the highest paid lineman in the league, just sayin’

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

FWIW, I do think JD is going to trade down (probably twice).

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’ve been making this argument all week on  and the members of the “draft Sewell” camp won’t seem to budge. 

Neither Becton nor Sewell will want to move to the right side. They play left tackle (a position with far more earning potential and glamour). Why would you use the second overall pick to create a problem?

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We still have Seattle's #1 and we'll have either the 1st or 2nd pick of the 2nd round as well.  I would imagine we can certainly find a WR.

how about we find the OL with that pick and with the 2 pick the BEST wr in the draft. someone people have to double team. or give me a edge rusher who can get 12-15 sacks a season. for once lets get the best at a skill position. 

Maybe the safest pick in the draft (or 2nd next to Trevor?) and at an important position

I remember when Andrew Thomas was the 'safest pick in the draft' as an OL last year.

Sam Darnold was suppose to be one of the safest picks in 2018

Leonard Fournette was that guy in 2017

2016...Laquon Treadwell

2015....Dante Fowler.

Every year, there is a 'can't miss' guy who somehow.....misses.

We have our LT.  Lets go get another QB with a premium pick.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

FWIW, I do think JD is going to trade down (probably twice).

What he arguably should do is trade down & trade up.

• Move down because #2 is overkill for the positions the Jets would fill up there - unless another QB shoots up between now & then.
  • Then move up because the extra capital acquired by dropping from #2 can be used to move up from Seattle’s much later 1st rounder, and/or our own high 2nd rounder.

He also saw Baltimore do that when they wanted Flacco but realized it was overkill to take him at #9 or whatever their original pick was in the round. Moved down to 20something but then moved back up to 18(?) so they didn’t risk losing a specific player they were targeting.

It’s too early yet to definitively say the draft should be Lawrence guaranteed in the #1 slot and Sewell guaranteed in the #2 slot, and then there’s everyone else. Way too early. 

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

I remember when Andrew Thomas was the 'safest pick in the draft' as an OL last year.

Sam Darnold was suppose to be one of the safest picks in 2018

Leonard Fournette was that guy in 2017

2016...Laquon Treadwell

2015....Dante Fowler.

Every year, there is a 'can't miss' guy who somehow.....misses.

We have our LT.  Lets go get another QB with a premium pick.

I feel like there’s a higher “miss rate“ with QBs though.  And you have to invest at least 2 (and probably 3) seasons in one drafted that high.  I guess AZ moved on from Rosen after 1 but he must’ve really stunk and they saw it right away. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What he arguably should do is trade down & trade up.

• Move down because #2 is overkill for the positions the Jets would fill up there - unless another QB shoots up between now & then.
  • Then move up because the extra capital acquired by dropping from #2 can be used to move up from Seattle’s much later 1st rounder, and/or our own high 2nd rounder.

He also saw Baltimore do that when they wanted Flacco but realized it was overkill to take him at #9 or whatever their original pick was in the round. Moved down to 20something but then moved back up to 18(?) so they didn’t risk losing a specific player they were targeting.

It’s too early yet to definitively say the draft should be Lawrence guaranteed in the #1 slot and Sewell guaranteed in the #2 slot, and then there’s everyone else. Way too early. 

Agreed it’s way too early. I think we’re all just thinking too heavily about the draft right now due to losing out on the savior. 

11 minutes ago, StrawberryFields said:

I’ve been making this argument all week on  and the members of the “draft Sewell” camp won’t seem to budge. 

Neither Becton nor Sewell will want to move to the right side. They play left tackle (a position with far more earning potential and glamour). Why would you use the second overall pick to create a problem?

Well one will do it whether neither wants to. But for the team it’s still foolish use of the #2 pick once you know the team’s already set at LT. 

A resource that high should be used to fill a position you can’t fill quite so easily with a later pick, or it should be used to cash in on the pick’s innate value. 

You want a premium RT? Ante up for one in free agency, and even toss in an extra few million per year you’d rather not use on the position. You do that and then hang on to your #2 overall pick to improve the team more than an upgrade from Fant at RT. Team needs corners, has needed a legit edge rusher since trading Abraham, and has a 3 interior OL positions that could do with upgrading (though McGovern’s a guaranteed return in 2021), needs a better & more reliable WR than Perriman, a TE,  and a safety.

I’d like them to upgrade at RT, too. But you’d think it was both the only upgrade the team needs, and that RT is one of the 3 or 4 most important positions on the field, to rationalize using the 2nd pick in the draft on that position. 

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed it’s way too early. I think we’re all just thinking too heavily about the draft right now due to losing out on the savior. 

100% understandable. Until we see Jacksonville pull a Jets and move back to the #2 slot, this is really all we’ve got to talk about. That and players scolding fans for wanting the #1 pick when the team is already out to an 0-13 start. So yeah, it’s understandable. And more fun than watching this team play football. 

In that scenario, we might as well.  Smash mouth football!

Which round do we draft the time machine so we can travel back in time when this brand of football won championships. 

If you don’t have an elite quarterback everything else is meaningless. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well one will do it whether neither wants to. But for the team it’s still foolish use of the #2 pick once you know the team’s already set at LT. 

A resource that high should be used to fill a position you can’t fill quite so easily with a later pick, or it should be used to cash in on the pick’s innate value. 

You want a premium RT? Ante up for one in free agency, and even toss in an extra few million per year you’d rather not use on the position. You do that and then hang on to your #2 overall pick to improve the team more than an upgrade from Fant at RT. Team needs corners, has needed a legit edge rusher since trading Abraham, and has a 3 interior OL positions that could do with upgrading (though McGovern’s a guaranteed return in 2021), needs a better & more reliable WR than Perriman, a TE,  and a safety.

I’d like them to upgrade at RT, too. But you’d think it was both the only upgrade the team needs, and that RT is one of the 3 or 4 most important positions on the field, to rationalize using the 2nd pick in the draft on that position. 

Is there a Chase Young type prospect in this draft though (worthy of 1.02?).  And aren’t interior OL easier to acquire than OT?   And is a great WR worth passing up on a potential superstar OT for?  I guess it depends on if we can get enough value in a trade down while still filling those positions.

It just really sucks that we lost out on Trevor.  He obviously would’ve been worthy of the high pick considering he plays probably the most important position in sports. 

I know we all know that but I can’t help saying it anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Which round do we draft the time machine so we can travel back in time when this brand of football won championships. 

If you don’t have an elite quarterback you can’t win. 

I understand that but, in all likelihood, we blew our chance at Trevor.  Now we have to try to be creative and figure something out.