Jump to content

Benefits Of Drafting Sewell


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I understand that but, in all likelihood, we blew our chance at Trevor.  Now we have to try to be creative and figure something out. 

It’s not that complicated there’s gonna be two quarterbacks still on the board that most people consider top 10 prospects. It’s Douglas’s job to pick one.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[Obviously we all want Trevor but let's assume that Jax loses out] -Maybe the safest pick in the draft (or 2nd next to Trevor?) and at an important position -It would help both the running g

You draft Sewell, find a center to join Becton and company, and you could put my grandmother at running back. She'd bang out 1,000 yards easy. And she's no longer even with us.

Make it so! Also draft a Center

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, StrawberryFields said:

I’ve been making this argument all week on  and the members of the “draft Sewell” camp won’t seem to budge. 

Neither Becton nor Sewell will want to move to the right side. They play left tackle (a position with far more earning potential and glamour). Why would you use the second overall pick to create a problem?

dont bother

i think alot of the guys are yankees fans.

you know the guys who make those ridiculous trade offers on talk radio everyday. even Michael Kay has to shut them down

ex

yankeefan: i want to trade Gary Sanchez and 3 minor leaguers for Francisco Lindor

Michael Kay: Clev wont do that.. you will have to give up Torres and another good player

YF: but i dont want to give up Torres...did i mention they were AAA guys

MK: smh ...

YF: and i want DJ signed, i dont care what you pay him.

MK. doesnt work like that

YF: i dont care, i want him.

MK: bye ..

now look at this forum...

some think the Colts will sit there starters against Jax to rest them, and not care about wining the div, getting a home game, or playoff position.

some think Sam is worth a 2nd rd pick. and better yet, want to keep him if we draft a QB so he can drive up his trade vaule .....how while sitting on the bench? playing against 2nd and 3rd string guys?

i dont insult people on forums, but i swear the first person to post that Jax will trade us there #1 im calling them an idiot. and its coming. 4 months before the draft, trust me someone on the board will post that. 

so get used to people not getting something logical like what you posted. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cant wait said:

It worked out pretty well when they won the super bowl though 

Not when they paid him all that to be a RT (which itself was only possible because Peters stayed playing at an elite level even into his mid-30s when he got a big pay cut due to his age). 

They just gave Johnson this $18MM gargantuan contract at LT money in 2019. The SB season came when Johnson was playing under his rookie contract. Even that was an exception to the rule for two reasons: 1) because of the Peters contract; and 2) because 2013 was a extra-ordinarily weak draft class up top. FFS two guards were drafted in the top 10. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

It’s not that complicated there’s gonna be two quarterbacks still on the board that most people consider top 10 prospects. It’s Douglas’s job to pick one.

And what if JD doesn’t believe in either of them as the long term answer?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

It’s not that complicated there’s gonna be two quarterbacks still on the board that most people consider top 10 prospects. It’s Douglas’s job to pick one.

and by the way if he passes on these guys and either of them become stars Douglas should be shown the door... He’s being paid a lot of money and to make these tough decisions

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is there a Chase Young type prospect in this draft though (worthy of 1.02?).  And aren’t interior OL easier to acquire than OT?   And is a great WR worth passing up on a potential superstar OT for?  I guess it depends on if we can get enough value in a trade down while still filling those positions.

It just really sucks that we lost out on Trevor.  He obviously would’ve been worthy of the high pick considering he plays probably the most important position in sports. 

I know we all know that but I can’t help saying it anyway. 

You’re asking your initial question to the wrong guy here. I don’t know crap about any of these guys as prospects; I’m stating these opinions by objectively looking at the positions they play and the positions the Jets have and don’t have filled. I’m sure Sewell will be a trememdous player from what everyone’s saying about him. But we only need one LT on the roster, so to us we’d be upgrading RT not LT. May as well draft a safety over a pair of QBs because of that BPA theory. 

I like BPA later in the draft when it gets harder to draft starters. Way up top you’ve got such a high chance of drafting quality that it should be treated more like free agency for high-end positions. This is the chance to fill holes that you just can’t fill via FA. So that means no redundant positions, and no low value positions unless it’s a final puzzle piece and you’re only picking up that high due to circumstances not stemming from having a terrible roster (like this is a pick from a prior trade, or an otherwise solid team got hit with unusually bad injury bugs the prior season).

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not when they paid him all that to be a RT (which itself was only possible because Peters stayed playing at an elite level even into his mid-30s when he got a big pay cut due to his age). 

They just gave Johnson this $18MM gargantuan contract at LT money in 2019. The SB season came when Johnson was playing under his rookie contract. Even that was an exception to the rule for two reasons: 1) because of the Peters contract; and 2) because 2013 was a extra-ordinarily weak draft class up top. FFS two guards were drafted in the top 10. 

Regardless their OL is in shambles, Johnson got hurt as did all of their starters except for Kelce. You can blame them for a lack of depth but Philly’s real problem has been injuries first and foremost. Not trying to give them an excuse it’s just how I see it

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

And as I mentioned above he better be right

If we were in position to draft Trevor, it would’ve been handed to him on a silver platter (you or I could’ve made that pick).  But now he’s really going to have to earn it.  But like you said, that’s why he gets paid the big bucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cant wait said:

Regardless their OL is in shambles, Johnson got hurt as did all of their starters except for Kelce. You can blame them for a lack of depth but Philly’s real problem has been injuries first and foremost. Not trying to give them an excuse it’s just how I see it

But they didn’t win a SB by paying top 5 LT money to their RT. That didn’t happen. 

If the Jets had a veteran all-pro LT not only locked in at an under-market contract, but was going to still play at a top 10 level while his compensation kept dropping, then yes you can get away with paying LT money to one’s RT because the money’s fungible in the end: how much total is the team allocating for its LT+RT combo is more relevant than how much each makes. 

But that will not be the Jets. Becton and Sewell are both very young players whose dollars are only going to get higher (and will be ultra-high at that). They won’t be able to keep both beyond their rookie contracts. Not unless they make severe cuts elsewhere.

I mean in today’s cap dollars (assume everything goes up proportionally so it doesn’t matter). Imagine 5 years from now the team’s salary cap limit is just under $200MM and the team is paying its tackles $45MM. That’s not sustainable unless they cut bait with multiple other starters and hit on drafting cheap replacements. 

Better if the Jets did what your Browns did and overpay a little bit for a RT in FA, and then they can use the #2 overall pick elsewhere and still have a very solid RT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But they didn’t win a SB by paying top 5 LT money to their RT. That didn’t happen. 

If the Jets had a veteran all-pro LT not only locked in at an under-market contract, but was going to still play at a top 10 level while his compensation kept dropping, then yes you can get away with paying LT money to one’s RT because the money’s fungible in the end: how much total is the team allocating for its LT+RT combo is more relevant than how much each makes. 

But that will not be the Jets. Becton and Sewell are both very young players whose dollars are only going to get higher (and will be ultra-high at that). They won’t be able to keep both beyond their rookie contracts. Not unless they make severe cuts elsewhere.

I mean in today’s cap dollars (assume everything goes up proportionally so it doesn’t matter). Imagine 5 years from now the team’s salary cap limit is just under $200MM and the team is paying its tackles $45MM. That’s not sustainable unless they cut bait with multiple other starters and hit on drafting cheap replacements. 

Better if the Jets did what your Browns did and overpay a little bit for a RT in FA, and then they can use the #2 overall pick elsewhere and still have a very solid RT. 

I get what you’re saying but they were also banking on Dillard playing on a rookie contract to offset it so it’s really not a huge number overall. You might be right about the contract years not lining up right with taking two back to back. But I lean more towards taking the top talent available there and especially with OT being a premium position cap wise, I’m not trading that for anything less than a haul of picks. Otherwise draft the player and trade them later for a haul of picks. Especially after getting 2 firsts back for a disgruntled safety someone better back up the truck if they want either of those guys

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not opposed to drafting  Penei Sewell but we need players who can throw,catch,run,QB-RB-WR who score points at #2 we can get a good one. 

Last I checked to win NFL games you need to score points. 

Our OL looked pretty good on Sunday vs Rams 

You can be the Jets scout at the punt, pass and kick competition. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I get what you’re saying but they were also banking on Dillard playing on a rookie contract to offset it so it’s really not a huge number overall. You might be right about the contract years not lining up right with taking two back to back. But I lean more towards taking the top talent available there and especially with OT being a premium position cap wise, I’m not trading that for anything less than a haul of picks. Otherwise draft the player and trade them later for a haul of picks. Especially after getting 2 firsts back for a disgruntled safety someone better back up the truck if they want either of those guys

If Cincy had the #1 pick would they draft Lawrence? No, because they feel that they already have their franchise QB in place. 

Penei Sewell is a franchise left tackle. Mehki Becton occupies that position and hopefully will for the next decade.

Do you think Penei Sewell who is considered the best left tackle prospect since Joe Thomas wants to spend his career on the right side? Not a chance, and neither would Becton. 
 



 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I will be consistent in saying if we do not have the first pick for Lawrence I want Penei Sewell and then I would draft this dude as an offensive guard.  Re sign Elflien who has been doing a decent job.  

 

Minnesota offensive lineman Daniel Faalele is still learning football, but at 6'9" and 400 pounds,https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836827-what-its-like-being-the-biggest-dude-in-cfb

Edited by NYDreamer
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are looking to upgrade the RT position, and imo it's not a huge position of need, I'd prefer to trade down a spot with the Bengals who can have Sewell, and instead we offer their trade compensation to the cap-strapped Saints for Ramczyk. Becton and Ramczyk are your bookend tackles, you still have the number 3 pick to find your QB and fill in the interior of the line with Thuney and a guard. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

If we are looking to upgrade the RT position, and imo it's not a huge position of need, I'd prefer to trade down a spot with the Bengals who can have Sewell, and instead we offer their trade compensation to the cap-strapped Saints for Ramczyk. Becton and Ramczyk are your bookend tackles, you still have the number 3 pick to find your QB and fill in the interior of the line with Thuney and a guard. 

 

 

Its a thought, but I could also see the Bengals going veteran route for Offensive linemen and then going and drafting Burrows College receiver in Ja'Mar Chase to reunite them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Its a thought, but I could also see the Bengals going veteran route for Offensive linemen and then going and drafting Burrows College receiver in Ja'Mar Chase to reunite them. 

They could go that direction, but I think it would be a mistake on their part. They have an opportunity here to land a tackle and protect Burrow for the next ten years. As good as Chase is, I think they are fairly strong at receiver. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if the goal is to upgrade RT(even though I'd argue RT was the 2nd best OL this year) I think the Jets would be much better served trading back from #2 and targeting some like Slater from NW or another tackle that will be available later in RD 1.  You could trade back, add a top flight Edge or WR early and still take OT later in the first RD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

 

I like BPA later in the draft when it gets harder to draft starters. Way up top you’ve got such a high chance of drafting quality that it should be treated more like free agency for high-end positions. 

I really don't understand why other posters here just don't get it.  Ty Sperm for being a voice of reason.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think if the goal is to upgrade RT(even though I'd argue RT was the 2nd best OL this year) I think the Jets would be much better served trading back from #2 and targeting some like Slater from NW or another tackle that will be available later in RD 1.  You could trade back, add a top flight Edge or WR early and still take OT later in the first RD.

If we aren’t taking a QB at 2 (I believe we will) then JD has to trade down. Don’t need to draft a RT at 2. He can find a good one with Seattle’s pick or #33

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, freestater said:

Ground n' Pound!!!

Why are we denying where this is leading....

Door flies open.

It is absolutely where we'd be heading.  I'll say this though:

-Teams like Tennessee (reached AFC CG last year) and SF (won the NFC CG last year by running all over GB) have had success with this.  

-Sam has been given nothing to work with (HC/OC/OL/Weapons) in his 3 years and he's still very young.  So it's at least feasible to think that he can raise his game next year, given a nice upgrade at all 4 things.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401131045(

image.png.66bf2ce90dfae7b3c21e1da2e93d4b38.png

image.png.77d833acd98712f5db4027e515440c14.png

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the jets draft Sewell they automatically have a top 5 OL

 

And that doesn’t mean we are simply “sticking with Sam.”  Jets can sign a QB or trade for someone to compete with Sam next TC and preseason 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They just gave Fant money. They just selected Becton. This would be like the Jets DT obsession reversed. Draft a QB, hell draft two QB’s. Or at least draft someone who can score touchdowns.

I agree.  Draft Sewell at 2 and Etienne at 33.  Then watch Etienne score 15-20 tds next season

 

Fant can be moved inside to Guard

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...