Benefits Of Drafting Sewell

14 hours ago, cant wait said:

I get what you’re saying but they were also banking on Dillard playing on a rookie contract to offset it so it’s really not a huge number overall. You might be right about the contract years not lining up right with taking two back to back. But I lean more towards taking the top talent available there and especially with OT being a premium position cap wise, I’m not trading that for anything less than a haul of picks. Otherwise draft the player and trade them later for a haul of picks. Especially after getting 2 firsts back for a disgruntled safety someone better back up the truck if they want either of those guys

Except OT is not a premium position. LT is a premium position, but not RT. You may as well draft a safety there.

55 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except OT is not a premium position. LT is a premium position, but not RT. You may as well draft a safety there.

I'm not sure about that. Say you have a dominate LT on the opposing team that can neutralize your edge guy... What do you do as a DC? Me personally, I might have my edge guy line up on the other side of the formation and terrorize that generally less athletic RT. Having dominate guys controlling both edges is a premium worth the investment regardless of the letter in front of the T in my opinion. A dominate oline makes decent QBs and RBs look far better than they are.

• Upvote 2

Just baffled at the annointing of a guy (future hall of famer apparently) who didn’t suit up this past year, has only one full season as a starter and was mostly injured his freshman year....and we already drafted a guy with a near top 10 pick to play his position.

maybe he can rush from the edge, or play cornerback, or can catch passes 

On 12/24/2020 at 7:19 AM, StrawberryFields said:

If Cincy had the #1 pick would they draft Lawrence? No, because they feel that they already have their franchise QB in place. 

Penei Sewell is a franchise left tackle. Mehki Becton occupies that position and hopefully will for the next decade.

Do you think Penei Sewell who is considered the best left tackle prospect since Joe Thomas wants to spend his career on the right side? Not a chance, and neither would Becton. 

Well that’s too bad.  He’s playing RT for us next when we have the league’s best O line

On 12/24/2020 at 9:24 PM, Embrace the Suck said:

I'm not sure about that. Say you have a dominate LT on the opposing team that can neutralize your edge guy... What do you do as a DC? Me personally, I might have my edge guy line up on the other side of the formation and terrorize that generally less athletic RT. Having dominate guys controlling both edges is a premium worth the investment regardless of the letter in front of the T in my opinion. A dominate oline makes decent QBs and RBs look far better than they are.

Most elite edge rushers line up at LDE which is the RTs responsibility 

The idea that RT isn’t a valuable position is very 1996

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

This is very true. Look at every game this year where an elite pass rusher started lined up across from Becton and then moved to the right side

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2020 at 6:36 PM, joewilly12 said:

Im not opposed to drafting  Penei Sewell but we need players who can throw,catch,run,QB-RB-WR who score points at #2 we can get a good one. 

Last I checked to win NFL games you need to score points. 

Our OL looked pretty good on Sunday vs Rams 

Teams with bad O lines don't score many  points... Teams with amazing O lines control clock. Teams with amazing O lines and above average QBs can almost do whatever they want on offense...

Its not the worst idea in the world, provided we can have at least slightly above average QB'ing.

• Upvote 2

On 12/26/2020 at 7:20 AM, Philc1 said:

If the opposing teams best pass rusher moves the the right side that is a win for the offense. The QB can see him rushing from the right side. That is why left tackle is more valuable than right .

• Sympathy 1

One more benefit that I forgot to include is that, if he lives up to billing, we could probably keep Sewell for a few years and then trade him for a 1st rounder at any time during his 1st contract.  Teams are always looking for a stud LT so I think he'd probably retain a lot of his value, even closer to contract time.

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2020 at 6:36 PM, joewilly12 said:

Im not opposed to drafting  Penei Sewell but we need players who can throw,catch,run,QB-RB-WR who score points at #2 we can get a good one. 

Last I checked to win NFL games you need to score points. 

Our OL looked pretty good on Sunday vs Rams 

The OL looked good for a change.  They haven't been good a lot this season.  And do we want the Jets to be good, because good is not good enough for me.  I want to win the Super Bowl, and ex-players, coaches, experts still say that the game is won in the trenches.

No, No, No, and NO, to this.

I don't want another boring ground and pound team, ever.  This isn't 1986.  I don't want to lead the league in time of possession yet be 20th in scoring.

Get a mobile QB like Fields.  Run a modern offense - the read option, jet sweeps, RPO's.   Get the ball out fast to improve the line play.

2 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I don't want another boring ground and pound team, ever.  This isn't 1986.  I don't want to lead the league in time of possession yet be 20th in scoring.

Get a mobile QB like Fields.  Run a modern offense - the read option, jet sweeps, RPO's.   Get the ball out fast to improve the line play.

I mean, I want a modern offense too but we're likely not going to be in position to draft Trevor so we have to come up with a different approach.  And tbf, the Titans got to the AFC CG with G&P and the 49ers absolutely dominated Aaron Rodgers in the NFC CG last year with Jimmy G throwing about 8 passes all game.

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Did  I miss something? How does drafting Sewell turn the Jets into a ground and pound team?

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I mean, I want a modern offense too but we're likely not going to be in position to draft Trevor so we have to come up with a different approach.  And tbf, the Titans got to the AFC CG with G&P and the 49ers absolutely dominated Aaron Rodgers in the NFC CG last year with Jimmy G throwing about 8 passes all game.

Our team is a trillion, billion light years away from a CG.   So first things first - put an entertaining team on the field that can actually play watchable games.  Then build from there. 

Recent examples - Bengals and Chargers games are now watchable.  No Tackles at two.

28 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Our team is a trillion, billion light years away from a CG.   So first things first - put an entertaining team on the field that can actually play watchable games.  Then build from there. 

Recent examples - Bengals and Chargers games are now watchable.  No Tackles at two.

This is wrong and exactly what the Jets have done for decades.  You don't build a team to simply be competitive.  You build a team to win a Super Bowl - you must do the things you need to do in order to achieve that goal - even if that means you suck for another couple of years.

That means you NEED an elite QB.  

Building the good OL - to cover the flaws of your sh*tty QB will keep you somewhat competitive and get you a wildcard every three years or so....but you can't win Super Bowls like that anymore.

You have to roll the dice and keep drafting QB's.  Fields or Wilson both have the natural skills of what many of the quality QB's in the league have - we don't know about the intangibles of these kids, but you gotta take one of them.

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Yeah because ground and pound doesn't work just ask the Titans, 49ers, Saints, Steelers, Rams or us from 2008-2010

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This is wrong and exactly what the Jets have done for decades.  You don't build a team to simply be competitive.  You build a team to win a Super Bowl - you must do the things you need to do in order to achieve that goal - even if that means you suck for another couple of years.

That means you NEED an elite QB.  

Building the good OL - to cover the flaws of your sh*tty QB will keep you somewhat competitive and get you a wildcard every three years or so....but you can't win Super Bowls like that anymore.

You have to roll the dice and keep drafting QB's.  Fields or Wilson both have the natural skills of what many of the quality QB's in the league have - we don't know about the intangibles of these kids, but you gotta take one of them.

There is no elite QB prospect other than Lawrence in this draft.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KINGDIRK said:

Majority of the time over the past 15 years, elite QBs win the SB. 

I hate Eli and the Giants. But Eli is getting a gold jacket. 

Honestly the Giants defense was the main reason they won those Super Bowls. Eli just happened to throw up a prayer that somehow was caught by one of his receivers which I’m sure shocked Eli