Interior Line Strategy and Your Top Gs and Cs

Vader

Sewell’s nice but could create logjam and misallocation when Fant is adequate. 

At OG, Elflein has been a revelation and at good value, GVR is there and Clark in the cupboard. Center with McGovern, Meh.

What are some of your interior OL draft / off-season ideas if the off-season offensive line plan was to pass on Sewell and address the interior line via current depth, draft and/or FA and who are your favorite G’s and C’s?

• Upvote 1

I don’t have names but I’d love to see the Jets use something like a 3rd round pick to draft a Center who can also play OG.  Keep McGovern for 2021, let the rookie play OG next to him and then take over at Center for 2022.

I’d like to see us sign OG Thuney in FA.  Thuney, Lewis, McGovern, GVR, Clark and a rookie C/OG would give then Jets a good depth chart for the 3 interior positions, and likely let them move on from McGovern in 2022.

19 hours ago, Vader said:

At OG, Elflein has been a revelation and at good value, GVR is there and Clark in the cupboard. Center with McGovern, Meh.

What are some of your interior OL draft / off-season ideas if the off-season offensive line plan was to pass on Sewell and address the interior line via current depth, draft and/or FA and who are your favorite G’s and C’s?

I’m gonna be adding more to the 2021 OL thread I started but some names I love are below.

1) Tyler Linderbaum- Center- Iowa: He’s buried on big boards right now but if he declares he’ll rise to at least a second rounder. He’s the best center in college.

2) Rashawn Slater - OTish - Northwestern: Honestly, he not very far off from Sewell in terms of certainty to be good.

3) Spencer Brown- OT -Northern Iowa: Small school guy but he’s build like Matt Peart in that he looks almost like a tight end. He’s enormous and looks athletic. Probably can be got in round 4. 

4) Tevan Jenkins - OT - Oklahoma State: he’s just really good. If he drops to the third round he might make Fant immediately expendable.

• Sympathy 1

Maybe it’s just me but McGovern has started to look like the player he was in Denver the last few weeks.

No, he’s not Mawae or Mangold but he’s at least been playing like an above-average starting center.

Sign Thuney, draft Sewell.

LT Sewell

LG Thuney

C McGovern

RG Van Roten/Clark

RT Becton

Who the hell would consider that anything less than a Top 10 OL in the league?

If Darnold can’t make it work with that group in the trenches and some added talent injected at the skill positions, then there’s no hope for him.

But there sure as sh*t will be for whatever QB we decide to draft in 2022.

On 12/23/2020 at 11:47 PM, Vader said:

Fant is not adequate

he's a backup who shouldn't be starting

the Jets should take Becton and Sewell and find the other interior players through FA or existing means (cam clark) 

tbh a line of Sewell - Elflein - McGovern - Clark - Becton isn't too bad on paper 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fant is not adequate

the Jets should take Becton and Sewell and find the other interior players through FA or existing means (cam clark) 

tbh a line of Sewell - Elflein - McGovern - Clark - Becton isn't too bad on paper 

Except Elflein legit sucks. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Didn't Northwestern have a stud C that opted out? Like a 1st rd guy?

The northwestern opt out was Rashawn Slater. Definitely gonna be a good guard, it seems like the buzz about him being a tackle has returned. But he’ll be a really good guard.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Fant is not adequate

Elflein is terrible. McGovern is terrible at center. You have no idea if Clark can even play. Van Roten is the only interior guy from this year I wouldn't be in a hurry to turn over but he's probably gone for 3M.

Other than Becton no one else is worth spit on this line.  Oh they may be adequate the odd time but I think we have become numb to sh*tty oline play.

If we end up a 2 and do not like the QBs then trade back and parlay the Sewel pick into the best C and OG you can get, then FA another guy,

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Except Elflein legit sucks. 

Elflein hasn’t really sucked... he’s been better than he was in Minnesota. Clark is the question mark. Hasn’t played a single down at the NFL level. Hasn’t even suited up yet...

6 minutes ago, Vader said:

Elflein hasn’t really sucked... he’s been better than he was in Minnesota. Clark is the question mark. Hasn’t played a single down at the NFL level. Hasn’t even suited up yet...

No he does. He’s terrible against the the pass. Can’t pass block and his run blocking is okay but those two things together make for a bad OL

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

The northwestern opt out was Rashawn Slater. Definitely gonna be a good guard, it seems like the buzz about him being a tackle has returned. But he’ll be a really good guard.

With Becton potentially not iron-man material, and our sh*tty depth a guy that can wear multiple hats , slide in at RT or G is the kind of guy we need. 

On 12/23/2020 at 8:47 PM, Vader said:

The bottom line is at #2 you don't consider any O-lineman other than Sewell, logjam or not. We're also talking about potentially dominant OT bookends for the next 10+years with Becton and Sewell so any 'logjam' with Fant can be unjammed. 

As far as the interior of the line, I have no confidence in either of the guard positions or the C position. McGovern has looked solid as of late and apparently is better at Guard but he struggled early on and I just have no confidence in him. Our guards have been a mess, if not in the run game than in the pass game for sure. So if I'm JD I'm going after Thuney and I'm taking one of the top OGs or C's early. W.Davis out of Ohio State, Slater out of Nothwestern, Humphrey- the C out of Oklahoma, Trey Smith out of Tenn, Vera-Tucker out of USC, Jackson Carman is projected as a G by some- out of Clemson, Radunz out of North Dakota State is another OT thats project as a OG. Dickerson out of Bama and Myers out of Ohio State are supposed to be top tier Center prospects- not sure where they project to be drafted, maybe a bit later.  

You have to sign Thuney or Scherff they’re priority #1 followed by a WR. Then I would draft Wyatt Davis with the Seattle pick, if he is gone I would look at Trey Smith in the 2nd round. Fants been fine on the right, Sewell is obviously better but I’m going QB at 2 especially with 2 new a beefed up line. 

On 12/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, kdels62 said:

I’m gonna be adding more to the 2021 OL thread I started but some names I love are below.

1) Tyler Linderbaum- Center- Iowa: He’s buried on big boards right now but if he declares he’ll rise to at least a second rounder. He’s the best center in college.

2) Rashawn Slater - OTish - Northwestern: Honestly, he not very far off from Sewell in terms of certainty to be good.

3) Spencer Brown- OT -Northern Iowa: Small school guy but he’s build like Matt Peart in that he looks almost like a tight end. He’s enormous and looks athletic. Probably can be got in round 4. 

4) Tevan Jenkins - OT - Oklahoma State: he’s just really good. If he drops to the third round he might make Fant immediately expendable.

Didn't know where to put this so here is as good as any I guess, but Linderbaum is returning to Iowa.  I'm a bit surprised.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Didn't know where to put this so here is as good as any I guess, but Linderbaum is returning to Iowa.  I'm a bit surprised.

I saw it. I’m heart broken. If he stays healthy he’s a guaranteed first rounder next year so I kind of understand his decision making.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:18 PM, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Elflein is terrible. McGovern is terrible at center. You have no idea if Clark can even play. Van Roten is the only interior guy from this year I wouldn't be in a hurry to turn over but he's probably gone for 3M.

McGovern has been grading out as a top 10 center for the past 7+ weeks.  Hes not the problem and will be the 2021 starter without question.

On 12/24/2020 at 8:13 PM, Untouchable said:

Maybe it’s just me but McGovern has started to look like the player he was in Denver the last few weeks.

No, he’s not Mawae or Mangold but he’s at least been playing like an above-average starting center.

Sign Thuney, draft Sewell.

LT Sewell

LG Thuney

C McGovern

RG Van Roten/Clark

RT Becton

Who the hell would consider that anything less than a Top 10 OL in the league?

If Darnold can’t make it work with that group in the trenches and some added talent injected at the skill positions, then there’s no hope for him.

But there sure as sh*t will be for whatever QB we decide to draft in 2022.

Not sure how you can have GVR still there after he got abused multiple times yesterday alone. RG and LG are top priorities for this OL. Thuney/Schreff and draft Guard with Seattles pick. 

GVR -> Thuney/Scherff is the biggest and most needed upgrade we can make.  I'm fine drafting another IOL candidate but if we get that one spot upgraded (massively) then I think we can focus the next two picks after #2 on other positions and circle back on IOL in round 3.  I'm as big a 'build the OLine' guy as anyone, but I think upgrading WR/CB/Edge is probably more impactful at that point than upgrading Elflein or McGovern, given what we could probably get at all those positions later on.

• Upvote 1