Some news...for those who are interested...

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To avoid making a long post even longer and making a longer introduction, many of you know that I have a source within the organization.  Many here can confirm this.  My source and I have been discuss

Some reeeeally great stuff here that I can certainly backup based on what I’ve heard. Some notes: •  If Pat Fitzgerald takes any job, I believe it will be Chicago.  I’m not holding my breath

Marvin Lewis would be the most Jets move of all time. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Wilson is getting drafted before Fields. If that is with the Jets or not, too early to say. Still hoping the Jets pick # 1 so we will see.

I’d say it’s definitely possible.  Ultimately, as hard as I’ve been on the kid, I think Fields will rise to the occasion on New Years Day and put himself back up there.  Wilson is a lighting rod though and will definitely draw some interest as the #2 QB.

• Upvote 4

Good stuff as always @Mogglez

My thoughts:

While I do believe Marvin will get a legitimate look, that doesn't mean it will happen, nor do I think it will. I really like Arthur Smith, and if we're going the coordinator route, he's my top guy. What he's done with Tennessee's offense is nothing short of spectacular, and I think he's way better than LaFleur if we're comparing the 2.

As far as Sam, I can see that being the case. I just don't see it happening. We haven't helped him, but he hasn't helped himself either. The more tape I've watched, the more frustrated I get. I've counted almost 10 different times where his receiver was open and if he sees him it's a touchdown. But he completely whiffs. I'm not sure it gets better regardless. Despite what people feel about Fields, I am still high on him, and am glad they are too.

If no QB at 2, I'd rather trade down a couple of spots. Carolina is at 4, ATL.is at 5, both of them could trade up for a QB. At 4 or 5, we could still grab a premier prospect like Jamarr Chase or Gregory Rousseau 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Those may be their thoughts today. They have probably not scouted Wilson much. That opinion will likely change. Everything they think will change over the next couple months. 

Very possible.  I know they’ve been doing extensive homework on all the guys, so I will disagree slightly there, but there are still other opportunities for them to impress.  As always, I will try to update this place as much as I can.

• Upvote 4
18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I expect Thuney to be a high priority FA.  Many within the organization were gutted when New England, essentially, blocked him from coming here.  Add him and Sewell and, man, you are building something special.

I totally agree. A good offensive line will make up for a lot of problems. Just make the situation functional for Sam to almost have guys get open more often via a second or two of extra time. Run more effectively which will open up the passing game even further. It’s a lot easier to pass well when your line and running game controls the tempo.

The defense isn’t bad either, a couple pieces there, including the ever elusive edge rusher. I think our backs are very solid. Resign Poole, pay Maulet and keep seeing how he does in the safety spot, get a track star out of Ethiopia and some duct tape and stick him at Sam OLB for the time being and we’re in business.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I think, while a lot of it makes sense... but the decisions concerning the franchise will depend on what the new head coach sees in Darnold. Also what kind od deal we strike with Sam.  He's not standing on a ton of leverage.  But seriously, Becton, Sewell, Thuney... that's some heavy juju to lay on opposing DL's!

• Upvote 4
10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

For sure.  I should make it clear, no one is going to be forced to stick with Sam to get this job.  That’s part of the fluidity of the situation that I was discussing.  However, as I said, a lot of these candidates are lumped in on the “Gase f*cked up, but I can definitely fix this kid” side of the fence.  As the situation develops and I get new information that I can safely share without jeopardizing jobs, I will certainly update as much as I can.

A Jets blogger need to a YouTube analysis on if Sam CAN be fixed.  Before the season is over...

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, football guy said:

Pretty much on par with what I've heard, but my source is a girl. 

The thing not being spoken of enough is how highly Joe Douglas thinks of Darnold and that he was the primary reason for taking the job. Sure he did not expect to be drafting #1-2, but I also don't think he's going to take a QB just because Darnold hasn't played well in a disastrous scenario. It was just 18 months ago when Douglas acknowledged that having a 22 year old QB with the grade he had on him is an enormous pressure reliever because of how hard it is to evaluate college quarterbacks. When you consider this coupled with the fact that Joe has 4.5 years left on his contract (5 drafts), why would Joe Douglas risk taking a QB not-named Trevor Lawrence this year? If he uses #2 on a QB and that player busts, Joe is out. If he builds the roster up and hires a culture-building coach, he likely sees a second contract regardless who the QB is when the time comes. It only helps that the feeling is pretty unanimous among the Jets staffers that Darnold has the ability and temperament to be a great QB... the bigger question is whether he's redeemable, which I'm sure he already has developed an opinion on, and will be a topic in head coaching interviews. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire HC plan is for Joe Douglas to sell himself, which is why the FO is cautiously approaching things as if his role will be elevated. At the same time, I think the Jets realize that it's going to be extremely hard to lure a staff hear. Sure there's money and big picture plan for the HC, but for the positional coaches it's different. For one, some may be influenced by current politics and perception that "NY is in trouble". Others may consider cost of living and Covid restrictions for their families livelihoods in the nearterm and not wanting their family to live here (being from Monmouth County I scoff at this, but coaches consider it). And then the most obvious: the Jets have been one of the few cellar dwellers over the past decade, and the perception that its an organization where "people go to die" does exist. All these reasons are why the HC decision is so important, and it's why some feel strongly that an established name like Marvin Lewis could quickly become the favorite if the college guys are not interested. Then again there's always the possibility that Joe Douglas finds someone he likes and decides to do the heavy lifting himself- becoming intimately involved in selling positional coaches on the New York Jets and why its an organization to join. It also falls in line with the notion that he may try to add some positional coaches he trusts (Press Taylor, Anthony Weaver). 

Chances of landing Pat Fitzgerald are so remote that we haven't even discussed it. The good news on Campbell is that no one thinks he is a "package deal" with Lawrence so there's hope there, but I'm pessimistic. If they want Greg Roman he should be there for the taking so it will bare watching what the Jets interest level is. I mentioned Chris Petersen in the other thread (doubtful). Monken may be invited back to interview as he was the runner up for Hymie and Christopher in 2019 and Joe knows him from his days as a collegian coach. I don't think Harbaugh will happen - not because of a desire to stay in Michigan, but because I think the Jets will truly let Douglas run the show this time around. So when you vet all these candidates and start realizing that many may not be available, it could put the Jets in a tough spot. 

The biggest problem the Jets could encounter: being that they don't have a vacancy, they're going to be behind ATL, HOU, and DET in the process. Can they get the word out to candidates they're vetting? Sure. But what's stopping a guy like Marvin Lewis from taking the Houston job if offered it despite interest from other teams? That's what Ron Rivera did last year, and being that the Giants, Browns, and Cowboys didn't have vacancies, they weren't even able to make their pitches before Ron accepted Washington's offer. So while I would be relieved if that were the case for some candidates, my heart would be ripped out if we lost Matt Campbell to a team for a similar reason (thankfully, their bowl game is on Jan 2- a day before Gase is likely to be fired). 

That's a very good point. BTW.  You don't survive a top 6 QB miss.  If Douglas has any kind if success with Darnold, he wins a second contract.

• Upvote 4

Very interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

I've had a feeling that Marvin Lewis was going to be a legit contender for the Jets, ever since Daniel Jeremiah - a known Douglas confidante - said that he had kept hearing his name linked to NFL HC jobs this year.

I wouldn't hate a Marvin Lewis hire - he did a very good job with the cheapskate Bengals, until he had to play a playoff game at least. But it would be far from my top choice and isn't the type of appointment that would excite the fanbase.

The QB and draft stuff is very interesting too. Not surprised that Douglas would love Sewell, and he does seem to genuinely like Darnold so might well stick with him. Also pleased to see the Jets like Fields if they do go QB - he's still my top non-Lawrence preference in this draft.

• Upvote 2

Great stuff here!

- I love Thuney, he's been the top player I'm looking at for the last 2 years. Pat's fans love him, he literally plays every position on the OL, has only caused 3 penalties over the last 2 seasons, and has never missed a game. Healthy ✅, smart ✅, versatile ✅. The Patriots have a lot of cap space so I'm not overly confident that he will shake free but I would hope JD pays this man handsomely

- Building around Sam makes a ton of sense. Aside from getting Trevor, this is the fastest way to turn the ship around. The worst case scenario in this situation is that Sam does not look good in 2021 and the infrastructure to build around a new QB in 2022 will be there along with picks to trade up if we desire. I absolutely have PTSD from passing on Mahomes and Wilson but I do think Sam is far better than Hack.

- If the decision is keeping Sam then Sewell makes a ton of sense, I definitely don't see Douglas letting him slip passed us considering his passion for OL. I'd fully endorse this pick.

- Trading down, especially if the Bengals fall out of the top 3 will be incredibly tempting. I would prefer to still land Sewell in this scenario. For me the Seattle pick is the slot to get a big time WR and wouldn't shy away from a trade up given the right circumstances.

- Not taking a QB at #2, as mentioned I still have PTSD from passing on Mahomes and Wilson. If I'm being honest, I've been Lawrence or Sam the majority of the season. I don't really love Fields, Wilson is going to be a hot name. I think he is a Kyler/Baker hybrid but is a risky pick. Love Lance's game but I hate he has so few starts. If we can't land Trevor, I'd be okay with passing on a QB.

- Marvin Lewis, yuck. Talk about a wet blanket coming in here. He is well respected around the league and I do think he has not been given enough credit for how successful he was in Cincinnati. I mean they are 5-24 without him at the helm. That organization has been notoriously cheap on bringing in talent so I can see the upside for coming here. One thing I will never fault the Johnson's for is being cheap on acquiring talent. I can find a way to talk myself into this hiring but I wouldn't love it. I very much want Brian Daboll or Arthur Smith. Lewis's connection to Douglas in Baltimore gives this a high likelihood to me, same with the Greg Roman connection.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Big props to @Mogglez!!!  I'm not in love with Marvin Lewis but as with
all other candidates my question is, who is he bringing in as his staff?
Since he's been in the college ranks maybe he has his eye on some up and
coming coaching talent

• Upvote 4
4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wilson is getting drafted before Fields. If that is with the Jets or not, too early to say. Still hoping the Jets pick # 1 so we will see.

You roll the dice with Wilson. Strong arm, rising, has impressed many eg. Steve Young. You have to get a QB. Macc waited way to long to draft one and made stupid decisions drafting Hackenburg and gave up 3 #2 picks for Darnold. That’s 4 #2 picks & a #1 wasted. You trade Darnold. Get what you can now. We have all seen enough. Darnold will never be more that a Philip Rivers clone at best. You hire a NEW HC who understands how offense works now in NFL like Brady or Arthur Smith. You don’t try and get cute with a retread like Marvin Lewis who was a lousy school teacher with the Bengals. We need a disciplinarian. Matt Campbell. Period. A guy who can build a house with toothpicks.  Hire him and let them both figure out what to do with the QB situation. If we don’t get Trevor, the job is still an attractive one since we have cap space and draft picks. In 2 years we can be a decent team on the upswing if they hit on targeted parts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Big props to @Mogglez!!!  I'm not in love with Marvin Lewis but as with
all other candidates my question is, who is he bringing in as his staff?
Since he's been in the college ranks maybe he has his eye on some up and
coming coaching talent

On the offensive side I could see Lewis bringing in Jay Gruden as OC.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

On the offensive side I could see Lewis bringing in Jay Gruden as OC.

I've seen it reported that, if he gets an NFL HC job, Lewis wants Hue Jackson as his OC. Personally, I am not overly keen on that.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2