Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No problem man.  

Unfortunately for those hoping, I have heard absolutely nothing about Lincoln making the jump to the NFL, let alone coming here.

Hopefully JD sees we'd be better off as a team, starting before draft day, signing a top FA LG like Thuney (if he can) at ~$14MM, plus a FA center like Linsley at ~$10MM (shifting McGovern and his guaranteed $8MM salary to RG), and then fill RT with a far less costly resource than the #2 pick in the country.

Further invest in the offense & pony up for one of the top FA WRs to yield a formidable starting unit of Robinson-Mims-Crowder.

Now RT and WR aren't targets way up top, and that mega-valuable #2 pick can be used to shore up another unit: whether drafting a QB or edge rusher there, or moving down a couple slots or more to acquire another future 1, or pair of 2s, and taking an elite corner prospect. Or if moving down upwards of 10 slots for a pick+player return (I have no one in mind but some teams do have major cap issues for 2021) then based on what little I know today, I could get behind Etienne if he's really supposed to be all that.

Then draft a RT with a pick lower than #2 overall, even if still a significant day 1 or 2 pick (which is more than ample investment to find a very promising rookie RT; particularly on a draft day killer OL that's then Becton-Thuney-Linsley-McGovern). I admittedly don't know these prospects at all beyond briefly skimming others' assessments found online, but what about a RT prospect like Mayfield if we can get him with our late 1 or one our high 2s (having acquired another for trading down from #2 overall). A rookie RT can compete with Edoga, on the off-chance that in year 3 that guy finally starts to show that allegedly freakish but raw talent from when he was at USC. At least make the rookie win the job over him, anyway.

There are still multiple day 1-2 picks left for more in 2021 (in addition to the day 3 picks). Plus in the above mock scenario the team would still have a helluva early haul in the 2022 draft as well, with 2 picks in each of the first 2 rounds, to further build upon the 2021 team, without even counting whatever pick(s) we could get for Darnold.

IMO that leads to a better overall roster/team than over-upgrading RT, to then and then try to find a great CB prospect after the 3-6 best corner prospects are already off the board. It can happen but that's much harder to do.

And thanks again for sharing what info you're able to divulge. 

This doesn't even include acquiring a day 2 pick (I'd happily take more if we could get it) for Darnold.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, and this is just a gut feeling with nothing based on what I’ve heard, I think that this exact scenario (needing to make Sewell or Becton a RT) is what pushes JD to, ultimately, trade down.  The haul you would get for Sewell could be astronomical and, on top of it, you wouldn’t be pissing off one of two extremely talented LTs by moving them to a position that will net them a much lesser 2nd contract.

Who really cares about "pissing off Becton" when he's a real Jets fan and just wants to win, right? 

He's had an awesome year but he's also allowed 6 sacks as a Rookie and Penei Sewell in pass protection is truly a generational LT and the highest ranked O-Lineman recruit to come out since dating back to 1997 of 23 years ago (Orlando Pace). 

You don't pass on Sewell just because you've already got Becton because Sewell would've never fallen out of the top 10; he's a better prospect than Becton (which is scary) and is #1 pick worthy outside of only Trevor Lawrence.

Passing on Mahomes/Watson because we already had Hack is why we're in the position we're in today. 

And with the ways that Becton is built and plays like a road grader of an animal he'd create for the #1 RT for many of years to come with both pass protection ability and highway 77 dominance. 

The Bosa brothers would no longer be able to avoid Becton by running over to Fant's side without facing a Sewell/Becton who's waiting for them on the other side etc. 

And our QBs would then have All-Pro and potential HOF Bookend OTs. 

So who cares if Becton as a real fan would feel some type of way? 

Because right now we're a left handed offense with Becton. Put Sewell and Becton @ both LT and RT and now we're an offense than can dominate both the left and right side (no longer handicapped). 

Becton + Sewell creates for an NFL O-Line that's maybe never been seen before. 

Becton having his feelings hurt over Sewell is as silly as Mims being jealous of an Allen Robinson; all because AR becomes tagged with WR #1 and Mims wouldn't be...

Becton is a real fan of the Jets; so why would he become pissed off if Sewell gives us the best chance of finding our future Franchise QB and wins him a SB to celebrate on Twitter with, outside of celebrating a 1-13 win as if it's a Championship?

PS: Tom Brady always agreed to take less in N.E so come free agency for Becton's 2nd contract he should have no problem as a real fan once becoming the highest paid RT within NFL history (for the better of our team and his future QB etc). 

The idea of passing on Penei Sewell who's the #2 and most dominant player of this year's draft class @ LT all because Becton would become "pissed off" really pisses me off as a longtime fan...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hopefully JD sees we'd be better off as a team, starting before draft day, signing a top FA LG like Thuney (if he can) at ~$14MM, plus a FA center like Linsley at ~$10MM (shifting McGovern and his guaranteed $8MM salary to RG), and then fill RT with a far less costly resource than the #2 pick in the country.

Further invest in the offense & pony up for one of the top FA WRs to yield a formidable starting unit of Robinson-Mims-Crowder.

Now RT and WR aren't targets way up top, and that mega-valuable #2 pick can be used to shore up another unit: whether drafting a QB or edge rusher there, or moving down a couple slots or more to acquire another future 1, or pair of 2s, and taking an elite corner prospect. Or if moving down upwards of 10 slots for a pick+player return (I have no one in mind but some teams do have major cap issues for 2021) then based on what little I know today, I could get behind Etienne if he's really supposed to be all that.

Then draft a RT with a pick lower than #2 overall, even if still a significant day 1 or 2 pick (which is more than ample investment to find a very promising rookie RT; particularly on a draft day killer OL that's then Becton-Thuney-Linsley-McGovern). I admittedly don't know these prospects at all beyond briefly skimming others' assessments found online, but what about a RT prospect like Mayfield if we can get him with our late 1 or one our high 2s (having acquired another for trading down from #2 overall). A rookie RT can compete with Edoga, on the off-chance that in year 3 that guy finally starts to show that allegedly freakish but raw talent from when he was at USC. At least make the rookie win the job over him, anyway.

There are still multiple day 1-2 picks left for more in 2021 (in addition to the day 3 picks). Plus in the above mock scenario the team would still have a helluva early haul in the 2022 draft as well, with 2 picks in each of the first 2 rounds, to further build upon the 2021 team, without even counting whatever pick(s) we could get for Darnold.

IMO that leads to a better overall roster/team than over-upgrading RT, to then and then try to find a great CB prospect after the 3-6 best corner prospects are already off the board. It can happen but that's much harder to do.

And thanks again for sharing what info you're able to divulge. 

This doesn't even include acquiring a day 2 pick (I'd happily take more if we could get it) for Darnold.

FWIW, I haven’t heard anything about Linsley, but I do know that Thuney is on their radar once again (I cannot stress how upset the FO was that he never hit the market last year).  As for moving McGovern?  I wouldn’t totally rule it out either.  If they can find a clear cut upgrade, yeah I’d say he probably goes back to G.

Agreed with everything else.  That is pretty much the exact way I would go about it as well.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Interesting that both @Mogglez's and @football guy's sources offer pretty clear indications that a new HC will be forthcoming.  The there is the contrarian propaganda that has been promulgated on this message board that Gase will stick beause he's the Johnson's "football man".  heh   Trolling at its best.  

Haha, if the Johnson’s pull a last minute change of heart and Gase stays, every single one of us “sourced” informants, including every single member of the beat, and even national guys like Schefter, are gonna look foolish.  Given that this is the Johnson’s, part of me is sh*tting his pants, lmfao.

Really though, of all the things I heard, that’s the one I’m most confident in ?.  I’m sure @football guy feels the same.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Who really cares about "pissing off Becton" when he's a real Jets fan and just wants to win, right? 

He's had an awesome year but he's also allowed 6 sacks as a Rookie and Penei Sewell in pass protection is truly a generational LT and the highest ranked O-Lineman recruit to come out since dating back to 1997 of 23 years ago (Orlando Pace). 

You don't pass on Sewell just because you've already got Becton because Sewell would've never fallen out of the top 10; he's a better prospect than Becton (which is scary) and is #1 pick worthy outside of only Trevor Lawrence.

Passing on Mahomes/Watson because we already had Hack is why we're in the position we're in today. 

And with the ways that Becton is built and plays like a road grader of an animal he'd create for the #1 RT for many of years to come with both pass protection ability and highway 77 dominance. 

The Bosa brothers would no longer be able to avoid Becton by running over to Fant's side without facing a Sewell/Becton who's waiting for them on the other side etc. 

And our QBs would then have All-Pro and potential HOF Bookend OTs. 

So who cares if Becton as a real fan would feel some type of way? 

Because right now we're a left handed offense with Becton. Put Sewell and Becton @ both LT and RT and now we're an offense than can dominate both the left and right side (no longer handicapped). 

Becton + Sewell creates for an NFL O-Line that's maybe never been seen before. 

Becton having his feelings hurt over Sewell is as silly as Mims being jealous of an All Robinson all because AR becomes tagged with WR #1 and Mims wouldn't be...

Becton is a real fan of the Jets so why would he become pissed off if Sewell gives us the best chance of finding our future QB? PS: Tom Brady always agreed to take less in N.E so come free agency for Becton's 2nd contract he should have no problem as a real fan once becoming the highest paid RT within NFL history (for the better of our team and his future QB etc). 

The idea of passing on Penei Sewell the #2 player of this year's draft class @ LT all because Becton would become "pissed off" really pisses me off as a longtime fan...

Hey dude, you’re preaching to the choir here.  I love Sewell almost as much as I love Trevor.  That being said, Mekhi has proven he can anchor that LT spot.  He may not have a choice should JD draft Penei, but he will NOT be happy about being moved to RT (which is what I think would actually happen if they drafted Sewell).  The price tag of an elite LT and an elite RT is drastic.

It’s nice to think that he would just want to win and all that...but at the end of the day this league is a business and these guys want to maximize their earnings.  You can basically kiss Becton goodbye the second his rookie contract is up if he is moved to RT.  Very few players think like TB12.  Personally I’d love to have a cheap dominant OL.  However, one has to wonder if it’s worth passing on a haul for the draft pick and getting more players at premium positions.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

So to recap, by winning a meaningless game. We dropped from getting the next superstar QB, to being a reclamation job.

The best we got is an Left tackle we don’t need, or one of a bunch of 2nd tier QB’s that are meh. Plus the icing of attracting Marvin Lewis, the 62 year old mediocre Head Coach who at best as got 3 years left. Why do we waste our time on this ******* team I’m growing to hate them more daily. 

Maybe Trubisky throws a few pick sixes.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Mekhi has proven he can anchor that LT spot.  

He's proven it to the point of 1-13. 

Draft Sewell and I couldn't care less if Sam is @ QB we aren't going 1-13 like this. Because you can build an entire offense around both Becton and Sewell. 

There's no point of Becton @ LT when elite pass rushers can simply avoid him while abusing our trash RTs while we can't run right to save our life. 

If Becton/Sewell gives Sam or anyone else a CLEAN POCKET to find playmakers wide open in a pass happy league while having TIME to scan the field then I couldn't care less about a rookie's feelings who's paid $4M per season to celebrate a 1-13 win while talking down on real Jet fans at the same time. 

Draft Sewell if not Lawrence and fk how Becton feels because Sewell will be even better in PASS PROTECTION and when the Bosa brothers or Khalil Mack in the future tries to avoid Sewell? They'll run into a brick wall in Becton. 

We haven't been to the playoffs since 2010 and haven't celebrated since Namath do you really think JD or Jet fans care about Becton being "pissed off" @ 1-13?

And would Denzel Mims cry over Allen Robinson getting #1 money and he isn't as a #2 WR? Is he going to leave in Free Agency for #1 WR money too? 

Well then I don't want these fake fans on my team and as long as Sewell/Becton protect our QBs for the next 4-5 years + franchise tags that's all that really matters because Mekhi Becton won't be the last potentially great NFL OT drafted outside of the top 10 moving forward... Because we may never be in position again to draft a generational LT #2 overall such as a Penei Sewell. 

And if Becton can't handle becoming the highest paid NFL RT of All-Time in 4 more years well then fk him for real man. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Hey dude, you’re preaching to the choir here.  I love Sewell almost as much as I love Trevor.  That being said, Mekhi has proven he can anchor that LT spot.  He may not have a choice should JD draft Penei, but he will NOT be happy about being moved to RT (which is what I think would actually happen if they drafted Sewell).  The price tag of an elite LT and an elite RT is drastic.

It’s nice to think that he would just want to win and all that...but at the end of the day this league is a business and these guys want to maximize their earnings.  You can basically kiss Becton goodbye the second his rookie contract is up if he is moved to RT.  Very few players think like TB12.  Personally I’d love to have a cheap dominant OL.  However, one has to wonder if it’s worth passing on a haul for the draft pick and getting more players at premium positions.

Lets face it if Lawrence is off the table, then the choice clear is a less QB and start over at QB or Sewell, Sam with help at WR, RB etc.  

Put an exciting group of hopefuls out on the field along with Darnold and I bet they can succeed.  Especially if they throw an experienced HC into the mix.  

The entire fanbase becomes energized again and yes, if they sell tickets the stadium will be fulll and rocking.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, and this is just a gut feeling with nothing based on what I’ve heard, I think that this exact scenario (needing to make Sewell or Becton a RT) is what pushes JD to, ultimately, trade down.  The haul you would get for Sewell could be astronomical and, on top of it, you wouldn’t be pissing off one of two extremely talented LTs by moving them to a position that will net them a much lesser 2nd 

Might be a decent chance of trading down to 3 with Cincy, as they need Sewell as bad as us/Jax need Trevor. After what happened to Burrow, priority 1 is protecting him long term. Cincy might be forced to trade up out of fear that we’ll trade down with another LT needy team (perhaps Chargers)?

Then we can trade down from 3 to another team looking for a QB.

I like Zach Wilson a lot, and think we should just take him at 2. But, I’m preparing myself/expecting for us not going QB at 2.

If that’s the case trade down as much as humanly possible.

• Upvote 1

Based on @Mogglez and @football guy posts, I think this board really needs to coming to the realization that Marvin Lewis is highly likely (not definitely) our next HC.

Add that to the fact that Damien Woody was calling out Jets fans weeks ago for talking down about that possibility. There’s obviously something here, that isn’t just lip service.

My initial reaction was disgust. But then reading up I forgot a few things about Lewis.

- Cincy was us when he came on board there. A laughing stock. Hopeless. He completely legitimized that franchise.

- He kept them a playoff contender for most of his tenure in a division with the Steelers and Ravens.

- He basically did it on his own, as Cincy ownership was cheap to almost negligible levels. Bare minimum resources were spent in front office and scouting. Money rarely spent in free agency. Don’t forget Cincy’s GM is their owner. Marvin Lewis was a one man show running the team, free agency, and drafts.

- He knows how to hire a real staff. Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton both developed well under his watch. The Palmer injury derailed that team long term as he was never fully the same, or what could have been.

- The league knows all of this and obviously respects this man a lot, as he has already interviews in Houston.

- Not winning a playoff game does bother me a lot. I mean, all roadblocks aside...you’re a coach almost 20 years and can’t win 1 playoff game?

- I’d feel a lot better about this hire if there’s a clear multi-option successor plan on place. OC, DC, QB coach, etc all all being groomed and heavily involved in game planning, free agency, off season programs, training decisions, etc. Someone who is going to take over after a few seasons. 

The truth is we lost out of the top options as soon as half the Rams team decided not showing up to play us was a good idea.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Then JD also believes that the other QB prospects will be the worst QB in the league.

Or, he needs to trade for Stafford.

I think JD understands that there are a number of problems on his football team, and that QB is one of them. I've never really liked Stafford, and don't love trading a pick for a 33-year-old QB. There will be a couple names available in free agency that I'd look at first. At the very least they'll need an alternate starter, not just a backup, if they decide to pass on the QBs and hold onto Sam for another year. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Based on @Mogglez and @football guy posts, I think this board really needs to coming to the realization that Marvin Lewis is highly likely (not definitely) our next HC.

Add that to the fact that Damien Woody was calling out Jets fans weeks ago for talking down about that possibility. There’s obviously something here, that isn’t just lip service.

My initial reaction was disgust. But then reading up I forgot a few things about Lewis.

- Cincy was us when he came on board there. A laughing stock. Hopeless. He completely legitimized that franchise.

- He kept them a playoff contender for most of his tenure in a division with the Steelers and Ravens.

- He basically did it on his own, as Cincy ownership was cheap to almost negligible levels. Bare minimum resources were spent in front office and scouting. Money rarely spent in free agency. Don’t forget Cincy’s GM is their owner. Marvin Lewis was a one man show running the team, free agency, and drafts.

- He knows how to hire a real staff. Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton both developed well under his watch. The Palmer injury derailed that team long term as he was never fully the same, or what could have been.

- The league knows all of this and obviously respects this man a lot, as he has already interviews in Houston.

- Not winning a playoff game does bother me a lot. I mean, all roadblocks aside...you’re a coach almost 20 years and can’t win 1 playoff game?

- I’d feel a lot better about this hire if there’s a clear multi-option successor plan on place. OC, DC, QB coach, etc all all being groomed and heavily involved in game planning, free agency, off season programs, training decisions, etc. Someone who is going to take over after a few seasons. 

The truth is we lost out of the top options as soon as half the Rams team decided not showing up to play us was a good idea.

Great point about the Palmer injury. People don't realize/remember how good he was at that point in his career.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

So to recap, by winning a meaningless game. We dropped from getting the next superstar QB, to being a reclamation job.

The best we got is an Left tackle we don’t need, or one of a bunch of 2nd tier QB’s that are meh. Plus the icing of attracting Marvin Lewis, the 62 year old mediocre Head Coach who at best as got 3 years left. Why do we waste our time on this ******* team I’m growing to hate them more daily. 

It's crazy to think about but what you wrote is probably spot-on.  

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Draft Sewell and I couldn't care less if Sam is @ QB we aren't going 1-13 like this. Because you can build an entire offense around both Becton and Sewell. 

There's no point of Becton @ LT when elite pass rushers can simply avoid him while abusing our trash RTs while we can't run right to save our life. 

If Becton/Sewell gives Sam or anyone else a CLEAN POCKET to find playmakers wide open in a pass happy league while having TIME to scan the field then I couldn't care less about a rookie's feelings who's paid $4M per season to celebrate a 1-13 win while talking down on real Jet fans at the same time. 

Draft Sewell if not Lawrence and fk how Becton feels because Sewell will be even better in PASS PROTECTION and when the Bosa brothers or Khalil Mack in the future tries to avoid Sewell? They'll run into a brick wall in Becton. 

We haven't been to the playoffs since 2010 and haven't celebrated since Namath do you really think JD or Jet fans care about Becton being "pissed off" @ 1-13?

And would Denzel Mims cry over Allen Robinson getting #1 money and he isn't as a #2 WR? Is he going to leave in Free Agency for #1 WR money too? 

Well then I don't want these fake fans on my team and as long as Sewell/Becton protect our QBs for the next 4-5 years + franchise tags that's all that really matters because Mekhi Becton won't be the last potentially great NFL OT drafted outside of the top 10 moving forward... Because we may never be in position again to draft a generational LT #2 overall such as a Penei Sewell. 

And if Becton can't handle becoming the highest paid NFL RT of All-Time in 4 more years well then fk him for real man. 

You could also draft an OL in the draft, not at #2 and still get a very good RT. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, I haven’t heard anything about Linsley, but I do know that Thuney is on their radar once again (I cannot stress how upset the FO was that he never hit the market last year).  As for moving McGovern?  I wouldn’t totally rule it out either.  If they can find a clear cut upgrade, yeah I’d say he probably goes back to G.

Agreed with everything else.  That is pretty much the exact way I would go about it as well.

Who do you trade pick 2 to?  I don’t see a reasonable trade partner 

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

Interesting that both @Mogglez's and @football guy's sources offer pretty clear indications that a new HC will be forthcoming.  The there is the contrarian propaganda that has been promulgated on this message board that Gase will stick because he's the Johnsons' "football man", whatever that means.  heh   Trolling at its best.  

I am confident Adam Gase is gone because I know the Jets playbook for keeping an unpopular coach. When Todd Bowles was retained despite being awful they announced it through media sources a couple weeks early. Also the media mouthpieces who spout Jets talking points were arguing in favor of retaining him. If the Jets were seriously thinking of not firing Gase we would be hearing rumblings of that possibility now.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing Mogglez, it’s Dec so i think a lot can change between now but the idea of passing on aQB gives me nightmares about passing on Watson/Mahomes because Hackenberg. As far as Marvin Lewis is concerned, I floated him or a Jim Caldwell type because we need someone who can overcome historic organizational ineptitude.  Lewis proved that in Cinci and had Andy Dalton playing like a probowler.  I don’t hate it one bit.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

It's really early. The Jets are gonna have a new head coach, and that head coach is going to have significant input into who the Jets starting QB is going to be next year. Having the first pick might be better, but having the second is a lot more interesting. At the end of the day, if they do end up at #2, I suspect they'll either fall in love with a QB and just take him, or trade out of the spot for a major haul. I'm sure Cincy is almost counting on Sewell, and any other team looking for a franchise LT will know it has to get ahead of them. JD will be fielding calls. 

The team could, conceivably, keep Sam for another year, bring in a vet and draft a QB in the first round - just sometime later than #2 overall. 

• Upvote 2

No ones drafting Sewell to play RT, unless you want your 1st round draft to hold out before he ever sees the training camp field.

The $ difference between LT vs. RT is significant.

You also don’t move/downgrade a blue chip LT prospect out his natural position. You do that with mid-rounders or current pros who have failed at the position and warrant a move.

Drafting Sewell isn’t an option for us at 2. His agent would have a field day with us.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Thanks for sharing Mogglez, it’s Dec so i think a lot can change between now but the idea of passing on aQB gives me nightmares about passing on Watson/Mahomes because Hackenberg. As far as Marvin Lewis is concerned, I floated him or a Jim Caldwell type because we need someone who can overcome historic organizational ineptitude.  Lewis proved that in Cinci and had Andy Dalton playing like a probowler.  I don’t hate it one bit.

If Douglas is involved in hiring coordinators and position coaches, I could actually see Caldwell being our OC, regardless of who the HC is.

Caldwell replaced Cameron at OC midseason. A move that catapulted Baltimore to the Super Bowl, while Douglas was still there.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

The owner ran the drafts in Cincinnati. He’s also Paul Browns son, so he’s a football lifer. The Bengals are definitely cheap, but Brown was also a good talent evaluator. He’s old now though. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

No ones drafting Sewell to play RT, unless you want your 1st round draft to hold out before he ever sees the training camp field.

The $ difference between LT vs. RT is significant.

You also don’t move/downgrade a blue chip LT prospect out his natural position. You do that with mid-rounders or current pros who have failed at the position and warrant a move.

Drafting Sewell isn’t an option for us at 2. His agent would have a field day with us.

I am salivating at what other teams might be willing to give up to get Sewell. 

If Jax loses its last 2 games, denying us Trevor, then that #2 pick MUST MUST MUST be invested in acquiring as many day 1 and day 2 options as possible for this empty-rostered team.  We need CB, RB, WR, TE, OL, OL, OL  and more.  Absolutely JD MUST pull in a huge haul with it.  

For me it's either Trevor or trade that #2 for at least 3+ or more picks day1 and 2.  Nothing else.

• Upvote 3

There may not be any teams wanting to trade to two unless Fields separates himself in which case, we should take him. 

The Bengals will call our bluff on Sewell and even if we trade down one spot, we'll only get a couple 3rds and a fourth.  I'll take it, but thats not a blockbuster.

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2020 at 8:35 AM, Jet Nut said:

Unfortunately after 16 seasons coaching Cincy his won/loss record says he is.

Regular season coaching record: 131 - 122.  Thats a .518 winning pct, barely above .500.

Playoff record 0-7.  That's a .000 winning pct.

If they hire him, my 36 year run as a season ticket holder will come to an abrupt end.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

8 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Darnold has gotten time this year. It isn't perfect because the NFL is set up to have things happen quickly. His problem is he cannot read a defense if his life depended on it and he hangs onto the ball forever. Not to say don't pick Sewell, especially if you had a coach that would road grade the crap out of opposing defenses .Merely pass protection isn't really the problem, the crappiness of Darnold is the core problem.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Another thing that Lewis deserves credit for is his ability to identify
coaches.  Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Leslie Frazier all came out of his
staffs

And among and between Lewis and his diseased tree of coaches, which has had his team make a deep playoff run? I'll wait, please, when was that?

Zimmer, by the way, was more a Parcells in Dallas kind of guy anyway. 

Mediocrities, all. If you went to a high end steakhouse and they served you a baloney sandwich....

8 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Agreed to a degree.  The teams record has absolutely zero to do with how well Becton has played.

Somewhat agree.  Having an elite LT is still incredibly valuable and not something that should be scoffed at.

Agreed, but you're taking your own feelings on the situation into account when the truth of this league is this: the players really don’t care about appeasing fans.  They don’t care about getting a better draft pick.  They care about competing and getting paid.

Agreed.

JD absolutely cares.  I can assure you, he doesn’t want to ruin the relationship with a promising, young, potentially elite, LT, who was his first ever draft pick and who he wants around for an incredibly long time if he keeps playing the way he’s currently playing.  

Fans?  Nah.  Of course they don’t care

If Denzel Mims becomes what this team thinks he will become and puts up legitimate WR1 numbers, yes, he will walk unless we offer him a 2nd contract that contains #1 money.  Again, Tom Brady is the exception, not the rule.  If you are a fan of a certain team and expect every player to take less money because you feel they should want to be with your team and your team only, you’re going to be extremely disappointed.  If you only want players that think that way on your roster, you’re not going to have enough guys to field a team.

That’s great.  The players don’t care.  Becton will walk in order to get paid to play the more lucrative T position and never think twice about it.

This is ridiculous.  He’s proven he can play the position that would yield him more money.  He shouldn’t be forced or expected to take less money.  As I’ve already said, the difference between the highest paid LT and the highest paid RT is drastic.  Quite frankly, he would be an absolute idiot to turn down the money and opportunity to play LT once again should we force him to play RT.  I wouldn’t hold it against him.  The NFL is a business.  In this hypothetical scenario, the Jets would give zero f*cos about costing him money.  Why in the world would we say “F*ck him” for doing what is best for himself?

• Upvote 1