Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

17 hours ago, heymangold said:

Marvin Lewis with Hue Jackson at OC would have me searching for a new favorite team.  Who would they bring in at DC? Double G Williams?!?

What if it’s Lewis as HC and Jay Gruden as OC?  Jay was Lewis OC in Cincy and probably will be cut loose with the new Jax HC hire. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, heymangold said:

The Jacksonville offense is really lighting it up.... 

no thanks.

Just in case Lewis becomes HC:

As Gruden exits, offense takes on a new Hue

Jan 09, 2014

With Hue Jackson ascending to offensive coordinator, the Bengals figure to keep the same language of Jay Gruden's playbook. But look for a different script as Jackson attempts to take the heat off embattled quarterback Andy Dalton.

"Hue likes to run the ball, but he'll also find a way to get it in the hands of his playmakers in that division if you can't run the ball," T.J. Houshmandzadeh, one of Jackson's players during his wildly successful run as the Bengals receivers coach in the previous decade, said on Thursday. "I'll bet half my earnings that the offense is going to be better."

Gruden, the only offensive coordinator the Green-Dalton era has ever known, became the head coach of Washington on Thursday morning and Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis didn't blink an eye in elevating one of his longtime confidants to the job. Heading into his 14th NFL season, Jackson, 48, who had served this past season as Lewis's special assistant and running backs coach, took his fourth title under Lewis and his fourth NFL coordinator's job. Ironically, they first worked in Washington together in 2002 when Jackson was the running backs coach and Lewis was the defensive coordinator.

"I am very excited to move forward with Hue," Lewis said in a news release. "We are blessed to have a staff that allows us to promote from within. It keeps some of the continuity with our offensive team, yet we get new direction and fire from an aggressive and innovative coaching mind. Hue's expertise in all aspects of football and coaching is very wide."

Lewis may also soon have to fill the role of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. Even while Zimmer huddled with the Titans in Nashville on Thursday, media reports had him emerging as the frontrunner in Minnesota. If the Bengals lose the man who has led them to four top seven defensive rankings in his six seasons, they can only hope the search for successor goes as quickly and as smoothly as the process that anointed Jackson.

"It's an honor to be Bengals offensive coordinator, and to keep working with Marvin and Mike Brown and the Brown family," Jackson said in the same news release. "I thank them all for this opportunity. Our goal is to be the best, to be the one team hoisting that trophy when it's all over, and that's what I'll be working for every day." 

With Gruden moving to a team that already has coaches in place, it appears he's not taking anyone to Washington and that Jackson inherits the current Bengals staff.

"Jay Gruden did a lot of good things for the Bengals," said Houshmandzadeh, who does occasional analysis for NFL Network. "You knew he was going to get another job. It was smart to bring in Hue a couple of years ago and have him there. Good for the Bengals. Good for Marvin. Good for the Brown (family)."

Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth, the dean of the offense, texted his congrats to Gruden on Thursday morning.

"I'm happy for Jay. That shows you you're doing good things when other teams come and get your guys," said Whitworth, taking a break from a hunting trip back home in Louisiana. "We're still a young offense and this is the only offense the young guys know. So we'll see how we can adapt to the new system."

Tight end Jermaine Gresham is the only skill player that didn't break in under Gruden's system.

"It would be different. It's been the same offense ever since I've been here. Jay's been here the whole time," quarterback Andy Dalton said on Monday. "I don't know what it's going to be. I don't know, obviously, who would come in. All that stuff is going to take care of itself. I've got faith in the guys here; I've got faith in the staff. Whatever happens is supposed to happen. God's got a plan and I've got a lot of faith in that." 

A.J. Green, the three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver, literally shrugged it off and said as he left Monday, "I don't know. I'll let him handle it."

Whitworth says Jackson is going to have no problem getting the attention of his players. Whitworth was a rookie the last year Jackson coached the Bengals receivers in 2006 before becoming the offensive coordinator in Atlanta and Oakland and eventually the head coach of the Raiders for a year. After getting fired by Oakland despite an 8-8 finish, he rejoined the Bengals in 2012 as a secondary assistant before Lewis named him special assistant to the head coach last season to go along with the running backs job.

"It'd hard to believe he's still a position coach after all he's done in the league," Whitworth said. "He's got everyone's respect right away. If it it's not here, it'll be somewhere else because he's proven he belongs in the big time."

Jackson returned to the Bengals after his shocking firing as Raiders head coach following his lone season in 2011 that brought the Raiders within 15 minutes of their first playoff berth in 10 seasons. Houshmandzadeh joined that Oakland team when Jackson urged the Bengals to trade quarterback Carson Palmer to the Raiders in midseason.

"Nobody ever talks about Hue not getting another chance yet as a head coach, but that's unfair what happened in Oakland," Houshmandzadeh said. "The proof is in the pudding. Hue won eight games with that team, got fired, and they brought in a guy that won four games with the same players. And he did it with a quarterback that got there in midseason and without (injured running back) Darren McFadden."

Jackson meets the media with Lewis at 10:30 p.m. Friday at Paul Brown Stadium to talk about how he plans to approach an offense that topped statistical milestones but had trouble, at times, navigating situations, while Dalton suffered a career-high 20 interceptions and two more in the wild card game.

While Gruden helped lead the Baby Bengals to the postseason all three of his years and their first top 10 NFL offensive ranking in six years this past season with a quarterback-driven West Coast offense, Jackson had top 10 rankings in Oakland with a hybrid system culled from a variety of sources ranging from Steve Mariucci to Marty Schottenheimer that he's designed to be quarterback-friendly.

Gruden took a five-year deal in Washington despite taking heat for the Bengals 27-10 home loss to the Chargers in Sunday's wild card game in which Dalton dropped back to pass 36 times in the game's last 21 minutes once the Bengals trailed, 14-10.

"(Jackson) will never throw it 51 times. Never. Only if they're down like Indianapolis was to Kansas City," Houshmandzadeh said of last week's Colts comeback from a 38-10 deficit.

Jackson likes the run game and balance. When he first called plays at Arizona State in the mid-1990s, it was a power run offense and he saw that play out on the pro level when he was with Schottenheimer in Washington at the turn of the century. He's also got grounding in Gruden's West Coast offense, running it when he was Mariucci's coordinator at the University of California and then bringing it to Los Angeles as USC's offensive coordinator.

He was also exposed to Don Coryell's vertical game with former Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski in Cincinnati, as well as former Baltimore offensive coordinator Cam Cameron's power run schemes when Jackson coached Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco in his first two seasons in 2008 and 2009 when Flacco led postseason runs.

The experiences culminated in the Raiders finishing 10th in offense in 2010 while racking up 410 points after finishing 31st the year before with half as many points in his first year as the Oakland coordinator, earning him the head coaching job.

How much does Jackson like the run? The Raiders finished second and seventh in rushing under Jackson. The last time the Bengals finished that high in NFL rushing was a Corey Dillon-inspired No. 2 finish in 2000.

"I saw how he worked with Carson and I think he's really going to help Andy," said Houshmandzadeh. "Andy Dalton will get better. He'll have no choice. Andy is a good quarterback. Hue will sit down with him a lot. They'll meet a lot. They'll be joined at the hip. Hue will ask him what he likes and what he doesn't like and start from there.

"I don't know how it was with Jay Gruden, but Andy will be able to go to him about the game plan and say, 'I'm not comfortable with this.' And Hue will say, 'What do you want? What do you want in the first 10 plays? What's your favorite short-yardage play? What's your favorite third-and-six play?'"

Gruden and Jackson have different personalities and philosophies, but both are bright and charismatic. Gruden, whose intensity is laid-back, relies a lot on the quarterback. Jackson, a big proponent of the run game, game, has a fiery style.

"Yeah, they're different but both guys get along well with players," Whitworth said.

Houshmandzadeh says Jackson is going to make sure his playmakers get the ball, but he'll also challenge them much like he that star-studded receiving corps in the last decade of Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson and Chris Henry.

"Knowing Hue, he'll challenge A.J. Green to get better. And I think A.J. is the second-best receiver in football. He's unbelievable," Houshmandzadeh said. "He'll challenge A.J. Green to work on what he didn't do well this year. Whatever that may be. A.J. Green will get better. He's going to make A.J. Green practice harder."

Gruden took over a neophyte offense and installed his offense with not only a rookie quarterback, but four rookie wide receivers as Dalton became the first quarterback in NFL history to win nine games and go the playoffs while throwing 20 touchdown passes. While Dalton finished his third season under fire with three turnovers in the playoff game, he also broke the Bengals single-season records with 33 touchdown passes and 4,296 yards while Gruden chalked up the offense's first NFL top 10 finish in six years.

Washington general manager Bruce Allen sang the praises of Gruden long before Thursday. Allen, who was the Bucs chief personnel man in Tampa when Gruden worked for the Buccaneers, heartily endorsed the Gruden hire at the March 2011 NFL spring meeting in New Orleans.

"He's called plays for a dozen years," Allen told Bengals.com. "I think it's nice when a coach has a big-picture view of the game when he has a smaller area of responsibility. He has a good feel of the game. One thing that the Arena League helps coaches with is time management. It helps you with formulating in-game strategy. He understands personnel and how to use it. It's not the same kind of talent, but you evaluate it the same way.

"He's been a head coach and general manager, so he has his own ideas. But he's learned a great deal from Jon (Gruden). I think it's a blend of two good coaching minds. He's got that same fortunate trait as Jon. Jay's going to do whatever he has to do to win, even if it's a game of H-O-R-S-E in the backyard."

https://www.bengals.com/news/as-gruden-exits-offense-takes-on-a-new-hue-12394283

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

@C Mart I’m not going to read a giant article from 2014.  I’ll pass on these 2 bums.

Just read the last paragraph, a discussion about Jay and his brother Jon Gruden. And then think about how the Raiders almost lost of the Jets and how they blew the game against Miami last night with the playoffs on the line.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

If there’s one thing I’ll give to martindale, he seems to identify the “it” OC in each of these past two coaching cycles. Doubt Elliot would leave though

I doubt we're getting any highly touted HC's or coordinators unless we somehow end up with Trevor.

• Upvote 1

Johnson brothers think they can hard sell a retread.

Basically this franchise will start it's 3rd decade, roughly since the Johnsons bought in and Parcells and Bellichick fled like the choppers departing the embassy roof during the fall of Saigon, of telling you it's raining while peeing on your leg. 

I speak for myself. I'll always follow this team. But damn, if they don't straighten up and try to fly right, or merely operate sensibly and rationally, will ask myself why i'm still doing so. Between failing to grab the bull by the horns and commanding young guys be played to make The Tank a reality and now selling the likes of Marvin Lewis....W T F

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I doubt we're getting any highly touted HC's or coordinators unless we somehow end up with Trevor.

There may only be 32 of these jobs. But this one during the Johnsons' tenure has been a graveyard of coaching careers. And they don't pay well either. 

On 12/24/2020 at 2:08 AM, Mogglez said:

To avoid making a long post even longer and making a longer introduction, many of you know that I have a source within the organization.  Many here can confirm this.  My source and I have been discussing the Jets since Sunday and where they go from here and he dropped some tidbits on me that I’ve had confirmed to me by a second, more prominent, source and am now ready to share with all of you as I’ve been given the “ok”...so here we go:

My guy is pretty certain that if the Jets don’t go QB, that they will either go Sewell and build around Sam for one more “do or die” season, or they will look to trade down.  However, JD really loves Sewell and a trade may be hard to pull off (although this was all discussed before Cincinnati won and dropped themselves in the draft, so that could change given how much the Bengals want and, quite frankly, need him).  I was also told that Zach Wilson is likely a long shot to be the selection and Douglas, if he goes QB, is more likely to go Fields.  The team is high on Justin.  There is, obviously, still a ton of work to be done however.

The most disheartening news that he spilled though is yes, for those who have been keeping tabs on what I said in another thread earlier, there are legitimate rumblings that Marvin Lewis might get a serious look at Head Coach.  I just got finished up with the more prominent source who is very connected to the league in order to kinda get a second word on this and can now confirm it.  From what I was told, they’re still going to swing for the fences with Matt Campbell and Pat Fitzgerald, but are not sure if they will leave the college ranks, especially without Lawrence.  Other names who we’ve talked, and I have mentioned before, are Greg Roman, Brian Daboll, and Joe Brady (least likely as of today).  Personally, I’d like to see Arthur Smith thrown in there too.  I believe he will be.  A dark horse discussed was Jim Harbaugh, who Woody loves, and has loved for a long time.  However, I don’t believe he leaves Michigan (yes @Defense Wins Championships, as much as I don’t love the idea, there is a chance).

The more prominent guy basically parroted what I’ve been hearing since last year and throughout this season.  The league is MUCH, and I can’t stress that enough, higher on Sam than the fans and such are, which is a big driving force behind the “give Sam one last ride” idea.  While it’s obviously very early and almost everything I’m saying right now as of today can change, the league view on every guy not named Trevor is not favorable.  Fields is most people’s number 2, with Wilson rising, but that is more of an indictment on what Fields has put on tape this season.  The consensus among the league is that Sam can absolutely be salvaged with the right talent + coaching, and that they actually view that as the scenario that would yield more rewards than drafting Fields, Lance, Wilson, etc.  Personally, I don’t know how I feel about that, but I’m not the one who is making that decision so I try and remove myself from that headspace.  Ideally, JD, as much as he loves Sewell, wants other players at premium positions to blow up from now until draft day, trade down, and get as much high end talent as possible to build a complete team.  The thinking is if Sam can’t do it after that, you can still look for a QB next year in a class that, as of now, looks more “whole” than this years class.  Both guys also said to me that the league feeling is that, our boy, Maccagnan was a disaster of unparalleled proportions and Sam is far from “broken beyond repair”.  They went as far as to say that they believe he is more fixable and moldable than Tannehill was coming out of Miami.  Obviously Gase was discussed and they could not stress enough how awful he is scheme-wise.  What he does is not “QB friendly” by any stretch of the imagination.  From the limitations on audibles (QB sneak-gate was a big example of this) all the way to route combinations.  The guy just doesn’t understand how to help his players, particularly his signal caller.  

Getting back to the draft, as of today (and of course this can change with big performances from a QB like Fields in the playoffs, more extensive film study, and whiteboard work at the combine, etc.) the thinking, not just with us, is that the QBs in this class not named Lawrence are not worth getting fired over.  There is less risk with giving Sam one last ride than associating yourself with, say, Zach Wilson, a BYU QB who lights up UCF and teams of that ilk, for the foreseeable future.  Especially if you think Sam can still reach his full potential, which was thought to be very high.  Of course we discussed the chance that a team like Denver, Chicago, Pitt, etc. blows JD away with a trade for Sam as well.  It’s unlikely, but will be something to monitor. 

While this news may not thrill many of you, both my source and the prominent person I spoke to in order to further confirm this, have done everything to back me off the “I can’t believe Douglas would do this, what a nightmare” ledge.  They stressed that he will get this team on the right track, one way or another, and that he is the real deal.  I was nervous to post this because the whole process is early, fluid, and I have no idea what type of information I will get as things change, but I always told you guys that I would be upfront with the information I could share and I will stick to that.  

Terrific stuff Sir. I applaud you for sharing.

I would love the Sewell pick.  In addition to having a stud OL (especially if they can sign Thuney), he provides significant protection if Becton continues to have minor injuries.  That’s huge.

I’m all for giving Darnold another chance with a stud OL and more receivers.

My only caveat is I hope the team (Douglas!) allows the new coach to have significant input on what to do next at QB rather than select someone who meets Woody and Chris’s whims.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

This is something I could get behind. 

He’s done a great job, and didn’t build his resume on the back of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, like the Ravens DC’s of the past. 

Im a fan of the Harbaugh and Shanny coaching staffs as places to look.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Which unless I took different math courses from others says he has a wining percentage, not a losing record

But hey, two agreed with you that 131-122 is a losing record.  LOL

0-7 in the playoffs is a losing record in meaningful games according to the math that I know. Lewis is perfect at coming up small in big games, so there is that.  131-122 is 9 games above .500 for his career.  If you want average, then Lewis is your man. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:08 AM, Mogglez said:

To avoid making a long post even longer and making a longer introduction, many of you know that I have a source within the organization.  Many here can confirm this.  My source and I have been discussing the Jets since Sunday and where they go from here and he dropped some tidbits on me that I’ve had confirmed to me by a second, more prominent, source and am now ready to share with all of you as I’ve been given the “ok”...so here we go:

My guy is pretty certain that if the Jets don’t go QB, that they will either go Sewell and build around Sam for one more “do or die” season, or they will look to trade down.  However, JD really loves Sewell and a trade may be hard to pull off (although this was all discussed before Cincinnati won and dropped themselves in the draft, so that could change given how much the Bengals want and, quite frankly, need him).  I was also told that Zach Wilson is likely a long shot to be the selection and Douglas, if he goes QB, is more likely to go Fields.  The team is high on Justin.  There is, obviously, still a ton of work to be done however.

The most disheartening news that he spilled though is yes, for those who have been keeping tabs on what I said in another thread earlier, there are legitimate rumblings that Marvin Lewis might get a serious look at Head Coach.  I just got finished up with the more prominent source who is very connected to the league in order to kinda get a second word on this and can now confirm it.  From what I was told, they’re still going to swing for the fences with Matt Campbell and Pat Fitzgerald, but are not sure if they will leave the college ranks, especially without Lawrence.  Other names who we’ve talked, and I have mentioned before, are Greg Roman, Brian Daboll, and Joe Brady (least likely as of today).  Personally, I’d like to see Arthur Smith thrown in there too.  I believe he will be.  A dark horse discussed was Jim Harbaugh, who Woody loves, and has loved for a long time.  However, I don’t believe he leaves Michigan (yes @Defense Wins Championships, as much as I don’t love the idea, there is a chance).

The more prominent guy basically parroted what I’ve been hearing since last year and throughout this season.  The league is MUCH, and I can’t stress that enough, higher on Sam than the fans and such are, which is a big driving force behind the “give Sam one last ride” idea.  While it’s obviously very early and almost everything I’m saying right now as of today can change, the league view on every guy not named Trevor is not favorable.  Fields is most people’s number 2, with Wilson rising, but that is more of an indictment on what Fields has put on tape this season.  The consensus among the league is that Sam can absolutely be salvaged with the right talent + coaching, and that they actually view that as the scenario that would yield more rewards than drafting Fields, Lance, Wilson, etc.  Personally, I don’t know how I feel about that, but I’m not the one who is making that decision so I try and remove myself from that headspace.  Ideally, JD, as much as he loves Sewell, wants other players at premium positions to blow up from now until draft day, trade down, and get as much high end talent as possible to build a complete team.  The thinking is if Sam can’t do it after that, you can still look for a QB next year in a class that, as of now, looks more “whole” than this years class.  Both guys also said to me that the league feeling is that, our boy, Maccagnan was a disaster of unparalleled proportions and Sam is far from “broken beyond repair”.  They went as far as to say that they believe he is more fixable and moldable than Tannehill was coming out of Miami.  Obviously Gase was discussed and they could not stress enough how awful he is scheme-wise.  What he does is not “QB friendly” by any stretch of the imagination.  From the limitations on audibles (QB sneak-gate was a big example of this) all the way to route combinations.  The guy just doesn’t understand how to help his players, particularly his signal caller.  

Getting back to the draft, as of today (and of course this can change with big performances from a QB like Fields in the playoffs, more extensive film study, and whiteboard work at the combine, etc.) the thinking, not just with us, is that the QBs in this class not named Lawrence are not worth getting fired over.  There is less risk with giving Sam one last ride than associating yourself with, say, Zach Wilson, a BYU QB who lights up UCF and teams of that ilk, for the foreseeable future.  Especially if you think Sam can still reach his full potential, which was thought to be very high.  Of course we discussed the chance that a team like Denver, Chicago, Pitt, etc. blows JD away with a trade for Sam as well.  It’s unlikely, but will be something to monitor. 

While this news may not thrill many of you, both my source and the prominent person I spoke to in order to further confirm this, have done everything to back me off the “I can’t believe Douglas would do this, what a nightmare” ledge.  They stressed that he will get this team on the right track, one way or another, and that he is the real deal.  I was nervous to post this because the whole process is early, fluid, and I have no idea what type of information I will get as things change, but I always told you guys that I would be upfront with the information I could share and I will stick to that.  

Very good read Mogglez thanks for the info. I'm happy that Woody loves Harbaugh because I think he would take us back to respectability pretty damn quick with all the picks in the upcoming draft and the Cap money we have available. I think Douglas and Harbaugh would respect one another or at least I hope they would because that would be what makes or breaks the deal, that and Cheap ass Woody would need to make a damn good offer to pry Harbaugh away from Michigan if they want to extend him. If Woody thinks Harbaugh is the answer then he needs to put up or shut up, no one is coming here on the cheap.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

If there’s one thing I’ll give to martindale, he seems to identify the “it” OC in each of these past two coaching cycles. Doubt Elliot would leave though

I’m not against a defensive guy like so many other people here.  If he gets a good name and delegates he’ll be fine.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Was he changing his whole O system or just the blocking scheme that Pauline reported ? 

Whole O in order to match the new blocking scheme.  More 4 WR sets, more running out of the gun, etc.  

Safe to say we didn’t see much of that this year and got more Gore out of the i-formation than anything else.

• Upvote 1

Personally I try not to fall down the rabbit holes of “I know a guy” but with that being said I appreciate you sharing what you have heard. 

in a time where it went from us being the landing spot for TL and a top HC to just complete sadness and aging the rug taken from under us, it seems like almost everyone but us fans have faith in Joe(which I think the majority of us did and still do) but more importantly Sam. I trust that they all can’t be wrong because I do really like Sam and hope he isn’t beyond repair. I hope they bring in a vet and treat it like an open competition and hopefully Sam ends up being the answer with a different coach and staff there to support him. The one thing I always took away from Sam was he puts in the time and effort, but it hasn’t translated for a variety of reasons. 

bottom line is I’m always sick of feeling let down and upset, and whatever it takes to turn that tide, I hope Sam and/or Douglas are the ones to help get us to where we all want to be. 

thank you again for sharing your info with us. I look forward to hearing more. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

It’s sounding more and more likely that Joe Douglas will become the football czar in New York once the Johnson’s relieve Adam Gase next Monday. They will take that decision “out of Douglas’s hands”, but will then give him power over everything else baring anything unforeseen. The rumor is that Woody does not want to come in and disrupt the process the front office has spent establishing over the last year and a half, and given the amount of respect Joe has throughout the league, doesn’t feel the need to step on toes. But with Woody coming back there will be more of an emphasis on winning. He will seek to provide resources and input to ensure Douglas has what he needs to fast track the rebuild. 

The Good: for the first time in a long time, the ownership will allow for a traditional, concise football operation where the coach reports to the GM. Joe Douglas is known to be very collaborative and appreciates a coach who has a voice and has such a sterling repuation, so I don’t foresee power struggles. 

The Bad: Although Joe is very collaborative and will want the coach to have a sole in identifying talent, Joe will be the architect of the roster and in many ways, the coach will be asked to coach rather than meddle in personnel decisions. This could turn off candidates who want to have a say in the QB decision. 

How it will impact the coaching search: the coaches coming in will have adequate power and say, but they will have to accept the job knowing that the makeup of the QB room will be Joe’s call. For this reason, you may not see many offensive HC candidates prioritizing this job. While many still hold Darnold in high regard, they don’t want to be forced a QB one way or another. For these reasons, I think it’s more likely we see a defensive-minded HC with a “team over player” philosophy (Marvin Lewis, Don “Wink” Martindale) than a rising star on the offensive side. 

I’m personally going to hold out hope that we can still land a program builder who will look past the QB decision with their sights set on winning with the cards they are dealt (Matt Campbell, Jim Harbaugh), but I think it will be hard to convince if Douglas is going to be the one pulling the strings.

Regardless, we are in for a wild ride this offseason. 

Jets propaganda or the real deal? We find out next week, stay tuned.

52 minutes ago, football guy said:

Joe Douglas will become the football czar in New York once the Johnson’s relieve Adam Gase next Monday. They will take that decision “out of Douglas’s hands”, but will then give him power over everything else baring anything unforeseen. The rumor is that Woody does not want to come in and disrupt the process the front office has spent establishing over the last year and a half, and given the amount of respect Joe has throughout the league, doesn’t feel the need to step on toes. 

for the first time in a long time, the ownership will allow for a traditional, concise football operation where the coach reports to the GM. 

How it will impact the coaching search: the coaches coming in will have adequate power and say, but they will have to accept the job knowing that the makeup of the QB room will be Joe’s call. For this reason, you may not see many offensive HC candidates prioritizing this job. While many still hold Darnold in high regard, they don’t want to be forced a QB one way or another. For these reasons, I think it’s more likely we see a defensive-minded HC with a “team over player” philosophy (Marvin Lewis, Don “Wink” Martindale) than a rising star on the offensive side. 

• J&J conceding power and truly having JD hire his coach is the best news we’ve heard in a long time.

• It’s only a turn off to HC candidates if JD has his mind made up on Darnold or not. I’m not sure he has, and even if he runs it back with Sam in ‘21...I don’t think that means he’s signing him to a long term deal. He might just be biding time if he doesn’t love this QB class.

• I only see a coach being turned away if that coach specifically wants to draft someone in particular at 2 and JD doesn’t. Otherwise, I think the QB situation is going to be a very fluid one with an open mind. There is no slam dunk answer and I could this absolutely being a collaborative decision, one in which they’ll factor in the 2022 class.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

• J&J conceding power and truly having JD hire his coach is the best news we’ve heard in a long time.

• It’s only a turn off to HC candidates if JD has his mind made up on Darnold or not. I’m not sure he has, and even if he runs it back with Sam in ‘21...I don’t think that means he’s signing him to a long term deal. He might just be biding time if he doesn’t love this QB class.

• I only see a coach being turned away if that coach specifically wants to draft someone in particular at 2 and JD doesn’t. Otherwise, I think the QB situation is going to be a very fluid one with an open mind. There is no slam dunk answer and I could this absolutely being a collaborative decision, one in which they’ll factor in the 2022 class.

The only thing that I remain skeptical on is when/if the Jets interview Harbaugh, will Woody pull the rug from underneath and go for it. That’s what I worry about. 

Best case scenario (assuming Matt Campbell and other high profile college coaches are not interested): both Joe Douglas and Hymie Elhai develop their shortlist of candidates (likely already completed) and seek out an official interview with Jim Harbaugh. Jim is appealing to Joe based on his success and their mutual relationships. Jim is appealing to Hymie/ownership because of the PR appeal. Joe is impressed with Jim’s vision and feels confident that the power dynamic issues that Jim experienced in SF with Baalke won’t be a problem in NY; Jim OK not having personnel control and expresses that he would approach the job/hire a staff as if he’ll need to redeem Sam Darnold or develop a young QB—whatever Douglas ultimately sees fit. Hymie/ownership are on-board with finances. Deal done, everyone happy. 

^ that’s a lot for a Jets fan to ask for.

• Upvote 2

I get the feeling JD feels like fixing the OL will fix many of the Jets problems on offense, and to a lesser degree defense?

Sewell is a monster and putting him at RT gives the Jets two of the most formidable Tackles in the league. Draft Creed in the 2nd round and suddenly you have one of the best young OL's in the league. Can you say, Ground and Pound? Used as an immediate remedy to stop Darnold's hemorrhaging of talent. A hearty running game takes a ton of stress off Sammy so he can get back to basics. I love the idea that JD might still think Sammy can be salvaged. I feel like the Jets OWE Sammy another chance. 

Another silver lining from being as bad as we are is that the Jets have needs literally everywhere. So wherever you're picking you should have a plethora of directions to go in. It's just a matter of acquiring those players that you feel will hit the ground running. Players that can immediately start contributing to winning.

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

The only thing that I remain skeptical on is when/if the Jets interview Harbaugh, will Woody pull the rug from underneath and go for it. That’s what I worry about. 

Best case scenario (assuming Matt Campbell and other high profile college coaches are not interested): both Joe Douglas and Hymie Elhai develop their shortlist of candidates (likely already completed) and seek out an official interview with Jim Harbaugh. Jim is appealing to Joe based on his success and their mutual relationships. Jim is appealing to Hymie/ownership because of the PR appeal. Joe is impressed with Jim’s vision and feels confident that the power dynamic issues that Jim experienced in SF with Baalke won’t be a problem in NY; Jim OK not having personnel control and expresses that he would approach the job/hire a staff as if he’ll need to redeem Sam Darnold or develop a young QB—whatever Douglas ultimately sees fit. Hymie/ownership are on-board with finances. Deal done, everyone happy. 

^ that’s a lot for a Jets fan to ask for.

I think Harbaugh will definitely be in the running, but I think Woody will let Douglas hire whoever he likes.

I actually think Campbell is very realistic for us. As respected as he is in the league, apparently a lot of people think he is too rah-rah and friendly with players to work in the league.

Like Rhule last year, Campbell’s stock has never been higher. Both lost a close game to Oklahoma power house, epitomizing the program builder reputation that both earned.

The longer Campbell stays in college, the greater chance his stock could fall in the league’s eyes. Now is the time for Campbell to capitalize (if he actually wants to coach pros.

We’ll see...but if he fails in the pros he’ll still have his pick of good college jobs if he wants to return. I don’t think other teams covet Campbell like we do, and this time around we don’t have Macagnan as our gm. I completely understand not wanting to interview back then.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Lol I can only be a messenger and break down the info they share. The 3 people I rely on for info: 1 in the front office, 1 who is a player rep with a really strong list of clientele, and 1 who is a former player turned adviser. Fans would be surprised: a lot of the people who work in the industry know a lot in terms of information, but aren’t as knowledgeable as say some fans on here are. 

Like for example, my cousin (the player rep) spews out info and gets info for me, but she really doesn’t know the repercussions, ramifications, or how to evaluate whether it’s a good/bad move as it pertains to us. But she gets all the scoops

Lmao, don’t worry about him.  I’ve been posting on this forum since I was 12, screaming about this team left and right, and now Matt is convinced that I’m an undercover Jets employee looking to spread “propaganda”.  It’s laughable.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Lmao, don’t worry about him.  I’ve been posting on this forum since I was 12, screaming about this team left and right, and now Matt is convinced that I’m an undercover Jets employee looking to spread “propaganda”.  It’s laughable.

If it's coming directly from the Jets then it's propaganda. There's no benefit of the doubt there. I appreciate the info and it cool to discuss, I just dont trust it's reliability. If actual changes in the structure are made then awesome. If not, it's just Jets PR. 

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If it's coming directly from the Jets then it's propaganda. There's no benefit of the doubt there. I appreciate the info and it cool to discuss, I just dont trust it's reliability. If actual changes in the structure are made then awesome. If not, it's just Jets PR. 

I don’t care about you giving me the benefit of the doubt.  I’m not here to fluff the Jets and one look through my posting history would tell you that.  If it makes you feel better to make up conspiracy theories that claim I’m here to do the Jets PR work, than by all means, be my guest.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Lmfao, IDGAF about you giving me the benefit of the doubt.  I’m not here to fluff the Jets and one look through my posting history would tell you that.  If it makes you feel better to make up conspiracy theories that claim I’m here to do the Jets PR work, than by all means, be my guest.

Im talking about the Jets, not you. Relax bud. Any information coming from the Jets deserves no benefit of the doubt from the fanbase. I appreciate you relaying it, but we all know they dont deserve any benefit of believing it. 

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Im talking about the Jets, not you. Relax bud. Any information coming from the Jets deserves no benefit of the doubt from the fanbase. I appreciate you relaying it, but we all know they dont deserve any benefit of believing it. 

Fair enough.  I’m only defensive on that because the last thing I would ever do for this team is peddle out sensationalist bs for them.  The only way I can respond to your overlying concern is that is one of the two sources I mentioned (the more prominent one) is not directly tied to the team and holds no allegiance here.  They are more of a national/around the entire league person whose connections run far deeper.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

If this was a possibility and we did bring in Elliot, would be very interesting how he felt about Fields after they face him this weekend. Going from TL to him. 

If we could get a hold of Don for HC, Elliot as OC, and Lovie or Marvin as DC, I might go as far as to say that it’s my ideal hire.  That would be a very impressive staff.